Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Pakled posted:

Do CVS or Walgreens sell rope and MAGA hats?

maybe pharmacies nowadays seem to carry a random assortment of items with no rhyme or reason to them

Koalas March posted:

I thought that at first but if you zoom in (much easier if you're on a phone) they only have beauty supply stuff on and around the counter.

With gas stations, CVS's etc they have candy, sometimes cigarettes, etc not exclusively make up and hair products.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Koalas March posted:

I thought that at first but if you zoom in (much easier if you're on a phone) they only have beauty supply stuff on and around the counter.

With gas stations, CVS's etc they have candy, sometimes cigarettes, etc not exclusively make up and hair products.

This. Plus the far wall looks to be a beauty aisle as well. I've never been in a convenience store that has three full aisles and end caps for makeup. Plus it looks like there's a hot pink bag on the end of the counter.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Did the police never say the name of the store they bought it from? I mean they got the tape, they know the exact store.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but aren't all those things also visible at a normal CVS or Walgreens?

It's not a hardware store though lol

Eltoasto posted:

Did the police never say the name of the store they bought it from? I mean they got the tape, they know the exact store.

Comments on the article say Crafty Beaver in Ranveswood.

I live around the corner from the Crafty Beaver they are describing and it is certainly not what is in that picture.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eltoasto posted:

Its almost like the cops were always super sketchy about this whole "he faked it" thing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

yronic heroism posted:

I'm a stupid clowny clown who lives in a clown house

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Koalas March posted:

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1110877799575891968

They were at a beauty supply store when they bought coats and masks 😂😂

Everything about this is so weird and off that I just think of the quote from Spinal Tap. "Authorities said... best leave it... unsolved."

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

I will leave this elevator, but only after I rip the nastiest fart ever

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

yronic heroism posted:

The odds sound way against them ever getting a conviction and Smollett could simply not afford to admit guilt because it would end his career. There’s nothing that says the DA has to take a losing case to trial.

But I don’t know why assuming he’s this great guy and the other two guys really attacked him and are liars is somehow this great unassailable woke position to have. We could just as easily call the attacks on them racist and anti-immigrant to boot.

Oh, wait, they aren’t celebrities so people feel free to dump on them all they want.

To me, the (sparsely reporter) facts look as suspicious as hell: he’s in contact with these guys immediately before (and after?), he claims it was two white guys (false), and doesn’t want to turn over the phone records showing his contact with the people he now claims were his genuine attackers. The other stuff, the check, whether he wanted a salary hike, is a sideshow to these fundamentals. I’m comfortable saying that makes him look guilty as hell even if it’s not 99% absolute proof.

How do you know it wasn't two white guys? When the news broke the rumors were that it was cops.

Until the cops suddenly started leaking info like a broken faucet.

Which magically stopped as soon as the FBI got involved.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cheesus posted:

loving this (also not judging the OP).

My wife claims to be in chronic pain. What she describes sounds a lot like the inflammation I've heard about from eating a diet primarily of simple carbs and dairy. Which is all she eats like she was 13 years old and not nearly 40.

On the other hand, I'm in my mid-40s and don't have any of that. I'd say 4/5 of my daily intake is a combination of fruit, vegetables, and whole grains. Little meat.

When I get stupid every couple of months and indulge on a huge multi-serving bag of chips or candy or fast food, I feel like absolute poo poo for about a day.

If you haven't started eating healthier, you should start now. Have a little candy and chips, now and then but save most of it for the CHUDS to own the libs.

I gave up Dairy and Meat in 1986 after a 'scare' on some medical numbers (as in Cholesterol soaring).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

But I don’t know why assuming he’s this great guy and the other two guys really attacked him and are liars is somehow this great unassailable woke position to have. We could just as easily call the attacks on them racist and anti-immigrant to boot.

Cops beat and threaten false testimony from people all the time, the Chicago PD ran a black site for that very purpose

yronic heroism posted:

To me, the (sparsely reporter) facts look as suspicious as hell: he’s in contact with these guys immediately before (and after?)
Wow a guy getting personal training being in contact with his personal trainers, lock him up already

yronic heroism posted:

he claims it was two white guys (false)

false. he said they were masked and gloved and shouted MAGA slogans, he didn't say they were white, and we don't know if these guys even did it so it could well have been two white guys

yronic heroism posted:

and doesn’t want to turn over the phone records showing his contact with the people he now claims were his genuine attackers.
hm why would anyone not want the cops looking through his phone

yronic heroism posted:

The other stuff, the check, whether he wanted a salary hike, is a sideshow to these fundamentals. I’m comfortable saying that makes him look guilty as hell even if it’s not 99% absolute proof.

The check that was supposed to be their motive for participating in faking a hate crime is a "sideshow"? Why the gently caress did they do it then?

He faked a hate crime to get a salary hike? Are you for real?

Wow what a surprise that a hillbot is a cop-fellating shitbag

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

DandyLion posted:

You work at home Frank!

Uh, nope. I work in Los Angeles during the week, with the bike and subway being my means of transport. The rest of the time in Carlsbad where I use a bike for shopping and occasionally drive a car.

Amtrak to get to LA.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

TheScott2K posted:

Should have resigned the minute her name hit the papers. The fact that Bill Clinton chose to press forward with the lie and doom the political system to a year+ of hashing that out was, on its own, grounds for impeachment and removal. Imagine how slightly less terrible the world would be if Gore had run as an incumbent.

That's one of those retro-spectroscope things, at the time it was obvious that the GOP was willing to do anything to take Clinton down and destroy the Democratic party, remember that poo poo didn't start with the blue dress and Monica, it's started with Whitewater and was primarily motivated by the GOP still being pissed that their presidents were getting impeached and investigated for all of their criming and desperately wanted to prove that the Democrats were just as bad, the problem for them was that for one the Democrats weren't just as bad and for two the Democrats who were bad were smart enough not to leave evidence laying around.

Going after him regarding his affair with Monica was their final hail Mary play and essentially the Democrats chose to push back on it because if Clinton resigned over it then every president into perpetuity would be attacked over trivial nonsense.

I mean it's easy looking back from 2019 that Bill resigning over his affair and Gore being able to run as a popular incumbent would have given us a better timeline than what eventually occurred but that's just conjecture, It's not like Clinton or the Democrats were unpopular in 2000 it's just came down to the fact that W's brother was basically able to hand him the electoral votes he needed to win and the public was largely "eh we've had 8 years of Democrats, let's give the GOP a swing" which could easily have happened if Bill had resigned in fact if he had resigned it would have been demotivating to the Democratic electorate and we could have easily had the same outcome.

The thing is that they could have made sure that Monica was treated decently and not only would it not have hurt them, it would have actually been good optics and the fact that they didn't shows the flaw in the Centrist 3rd way bullshit, their never ending willingness to sacrifice others for the "greater good".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Unoriginal Name posted:

I will leave this elevator, but only after I rip the nastiest fart ever

Hmm, this elevator seems to be in danger of falling. Let's argue for three years over the order in which to cut the cables, then when they all give way I'll get off.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I can't even find rope at Target, and I have a huge one near me.

I hope lots of the white people(reminder I am white) who were readily accepting that a famous actor somehow decided to hatch an ill-thought out plan to get a small raise on a show he's a lead on, and still can't let it go, realize they think that way because of racism.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pakled posted:

Do CVS or Walgreens sell rope and MAGA hats?

Only ever one, never seen both in one place

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

If I faked a hate crime and got caught but the police hosed up so bad that it would all go away if I forfeited $10,000 I would absolutely take it.

If were a victim of an actual hate crime, but a police department famous for running an illegal black site where they tortured false confessions out of people fabricated evidence that I staged it, but then hosed it up so bad it would all go away if I forfeited $10,000 I would absolutely take that too.

So there's no reason to assume a 'tacit admission of guilt' just because someone let the cops shake them down for $10,000 while under the threat of going to prison.

This ignores the contradictions of the pro-Smollett argument ITT. If you believe that the case was buried because once it sees the light of day it shows CPD obviously framed the poo poo out of him, then going to trial only helps him because it vindicates him publicly and supports his criticisms of CPD.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Jaxyon posted:

I can't even find rope at Target, and I have a huge one near me.

I hope lots of the white people(reminder I am white) who were readily accepting that a famous actor somehow decided to hatch an ill-thought out plan to get a small raise on a show he's a lead on, and still can't let it go, realize they think that way because of racism.

Would be nice, but doesn't seem like it's even happening here.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

theflyingorc posted:

maybe pharmacies nowadays seem to carry a random assortment of items with no rhyme or reason to them

The Amazon AI has decided this store will be stocked with cat food, toilet paper, and inflatable above ground swimming pools.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yeah, I know, it's just...Bill Clinton knew his rear end was caught. They had the intern he cheated with, in the White House. And he's still just "I did not. Have. Sexual..."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

This ignores the contradictions of the pro-Smollett argument ITT. If you believe that the case was buried because once it sees the light of day it shows CPD obviously framed the poo poo out of him, then going to trial only helps him because it vindicates him publicly and supports his criticisms of CPD.

there is no guarantee of that, innocent people get convicted all the time on flimsy evidence

I am not going to assume someone is guilty just because they don't want to take that risk

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Beastie posted:

Comments on the article say Crafty Beaver in Ranveswood.

I live around the corner from the Crafty Beaver they are describing and it is certainly not what is in that picture.

Haha, really?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah, I know, it's just...Bill Clinton knew his rear end was caught. They had the intern he cheated with, in the White House. And he's still just "I did not. Have. Sexual..."

He was ahead of the curve.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koalas March posted:

How do you know it wasn't two white guys? When the news broke the rumors were that it was cops.

Until the cops suddenly started leaking info like a broken faucet.

Which magically stopped as soon as the FBI got involved.

i trust the rumor mill only marginally more than i trust chicago cops; which isn't to say i'm rejecting this theory

is the fbi still involved?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

yronic heroism posted:

he claims it was two white guys (false)
Let me explain why this detective poo poo pisses me off

THAT IS NOT HOW MEMORY WORKS

Most of what you remember about things is not an accurate retelling of only what you witnessed. Not some, most. Jussie would not actually clearly remember the details of their appearance. If two guys jumped him, and beat him up while screaming at him:

His brain would immediately try to construct a narrative to explain what was happening to him.

It's even possible that he could "make up" the reasons before and after. They may have never actually said "Welcome to MAGA country" - they could have said something that sounded similar. Or he could be jumbling multiple sentences in his head. OR they could have been saying something like that, and then his memory would literally remember them as two white dudes because it would fill in the gaps because he knows only white people say things like that.

We all do this, all the time, and it doesn't make us liars. It just means that unless extreme care is taken - "What exactly did they say, word for word? Could you tell they were white because you could see their faces? What are the reasons you have for believing this was a random assault, etc etc." - memory should be treated extremely carefully and suspiciously.

The human brain is EXTREMELY good at taking our memories and literally rewriting portions of them to fit to our expected narrative. That doesn't mean that they aren't real memories, it just means that memory is terrible.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

yronic heroism posted:

Ya you should call Smollett and the DA and see if we can get this thing to trial, good call.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've never seen MAGA hats sold in a hardware store, either, but then I shop at places like Ace Hardware and True Value and not Billy Bob's Screw Shack

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pakled posted:

He was ahead of the curve.

Lately I've been thinking Nixon could have held on. Drag it out, make them do a trial, whip up the constituents.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be honest any store that sells both rope and MAGA hats feels like it would be some kind of Room of Requirement for would-be white nationalist terrorists.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

STAC Goat posted:

I think there's an outside chance I could get rope at my local CVS. I couldn't get a MAGA hat, but I imagine that might be a geographic thing since my CVS sells plenty of random, dumb poo poo including hats and ski masks.

That being said I'm very much of the opinion that the cops haven't presented a shred of convincing evidence and anyone giving them the benefit of the doubt over the alleged victim gets a side eye from me.

Do you honestly believe that there is a store anywhere much less in Chicago that sells both MAGA Hats and 'do rags?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

Yeah he should not have dropped the case against himself. You're right.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

I've never seen MAGA hats sold in a hardware store, either, but then I shop at places like Ace Hardware and True Value and not Billy Bob's Screw Shack

Excuse me sir are you calling a cop a liar, I want to speak to your manager

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mod sassinator posted:

The Amazon AI has decided this store will be stocked with cat food, toilet paper, and inflatable above ground swimming pools.

OK I feel like you're trying to make a joke but those are definitely 3 things I could get from my local Walgreens

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

yronic heroism posted:

I don't know if I subscribe to the full "cops set him up" theory but I don't see how your post makes any sense at all. In the hypothetical scenario where the cops set up Smollett to go to jail he should gamble on going to jail to expose them on the hopes that the clearly corrupt system doesn't fail?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

yronic heroism posted:

[a 30-second loop of clown music, forever]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

Do you honestly believe that there is a store anywhere much less in Chicago that sells both MAGA Hats and 'do rags?

Yeah it's right next to the one that sells Mexican Islamic prayer rugs alongside III%er truck decals

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

what i'm hearing is that New Zealand is the only good white people country

Orcs. It's totally biased.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheScott2K posted:

That quote was bad, but it's not like he knew how aggrieved Linda loving Tripp was or how Ken Starr was fishing for any drat thing outside of Whitewater.
Gore didnt have the charisma or presence to drive the party had Clinton stepped down, and I can only imagine the raging hate-on Newt would have had after pulling that poo poo off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah, like is the Crafty Beaver owned by Steve King? What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TheScott2K posted:

His whole deal was saying that "sexual relations" meant intercourse, not mouth stuff, so he was technically not lying

Not sure if I believe him, but Bill was really into being a pedantic rear end in a top hat about exact wordings of things so it doesn't entirely strain credulity that his original testimony was leaning on the "I'm not touching you, I'm touching your shirt" of arguments