Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

So? 15 year olds should not have parties when they get knocked up.

It's not just a party, it's her community and family coming together to help a new mom.

There's "I don't support this, you're in your own" and then there's "btw you're not allowed support from anywhere else either"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Koalas March posted:

It's not just a party, it's her community and family coming together to help a new mom.

There's "I don't support this, you're in your own" and then there's "btw you're not allowed support from anywhere else either"

People should not support a fifteen year old's moron decision to become and remain pregnant

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Koalas March posted:

She said she wouldn't throw her one, not that she was banned from having one.

quote:

I will not buy her baby clothes. I will not throw her a baby shower. When it comes down to it, she is to care for this child fully, as I am not it's Mom.

That is basically the definition of, "I don't support this, you're on your own."

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Koalas March posted:

What's really ridiculous is the mom would t even let her have a drat baby shower, which would help them out a lot because they'd get a bunch of baby poo poo they need as gifts.

It sounds like she's trying to punish her. Like it passed "This is a bad decision and it's your responsibility" to outright petty contempt.

Actually mom said she would not throw her a baby shower so it might happen if 15 year old makes it happen which means mostly teenagers attending and not a lot of gifts.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Koalas March posted:

The mom just said she won't throw her a baby shower. That doesn't mean an aunt/sister/friend/friend's mom can't organize one for her if she doubles down and goes forward with the pregnancy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA - My boyfriend was lying down while I was unclogging the toilet
AITA

What a lovely boyfriend :eyepoop:

First of all, well done putting the body of the post in a quote block so subsequent quoting won't force everyone to scroll it. Everyone be like DemoneeHo

Second, toilets are funny things - they're extremely important, but also pretty uncomplicated, and 99% of the time whatever's wrong can be fixed by one person and a trip to Home Depot. "The toilet's hosed" is kind of a test-moment when it comes to what the kids call "adulting," and boy did he fail it. She didn't fail it, she rose to the occasion, and there was nothing wrong with calling for more experienced help, but just laying down the whole time...unforgivable. That guy's a bum.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Koalas March posted:

Regardless of the exact phrasing, she's obviously pulling out all the stops in an attempt to shock her stupid daughter into thinking clearly for two seconds.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Koalas March posted:

What's really ridiculous is the mom would t even let her have a drat baby shower, which would help them out a lot because they'd get a bunch of baby poo poo they need as gifts.

It sounds like she's trying to punish her. Like it passed "This is a bad decision and it's your responsibility" to outright petty contempt.

I agree with KM here. My Wife and I just had a baby, and honestly we would be in a much worse spot if we hadn't had a baby shower. I get that Mom is unhappy but banning her daughter from getting free poo poo (or going on family vacations) is loving asinine. I agree with all the other posters that she is trying to "shock" her daughter into giving up the baby, but I feel like all this is going to do is make her daughter dig in even more.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I hope there comes a point in this pregnancy where she stops worrying about her daughter and starts worrying about her grandkid

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

who the gently caress puts this much thought into sex scoring and why are they getting laid ever

I really don’t like the 1-10 scale! So much so that I’m gonna write a whole breakdown of it and talk loudly about it until someone directly addresses me!

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

TheScott2K posted:

I hope there comes a point in this pregnancy where she stops worrying about her daughter and starts worrying about her grandkid

I hope there comes a time that her daughter realizes that her life will be ruined and looks into adoption and other options.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SalTheBard posted:

I agree with KM here. My Wife and I just had a baby, and honestly we would be in a much worse spot if we hadn't had a baby shower. I get that Mom is unhappy but banning her daughter from getting free poo poo (or going on family vacations) is loving asinine. I agree with all the other posters that she is trying to "shock" her daughter into giving up the baby, but I feel like all this is going to do is make her daughter dig in even more.

Another misread. The mom isn’t throwing her a shower, not banning her from having one. And yeah, I get the vacation bit and I’m on board. This girl needs to understand that babies will ruin your life. It’s awesome in the long run if you have support and are relatively well-off, but babies immediately gently caress all your poo poo up, doubly if you are impoverished or have no support.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SalTheBard posted:

Are you and your wife 15

If not I have good news about how immensely different this situation is from yours

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Blade Runner posted:

Are you and your wife 15

If not I have good news about how immensely different this situation is from yours

I totally understand that our situations are different, but it's hard for us as two working professionals to deal with having a baby. My family and my wifes family have been total god sends. I don't think this 15 year old should keep her baby because it's going to gently caress up her life exponentially. I just think that the way her Mother is going about it is very detrimental to getting her daughter to do what is right (for the baby and her daughter)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SalTheBard posted:

I totally understand that our situations are different, but it's hard for us as two working professionals to deal with having a baby. My family and my wifes family have been total god sends. I don't think this 15 year old should keep her baby because it's going to gently caress up her life exponentially. I just think that the way her Mother is going about it is very detrimental to getting her daughter to do what is right (for the baby and her daughter)

What’s the alternative? Fully supporting this 15yo child having a goddamn baby? Are you insane?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think the mom of the pregnant 15 year old is an rear end in a top hat based on her focusing on her own feelings rather than anything else, but she's not wrong to make it clear that she wont help and that raising a baby is going to suck and the daughter will be on her own. Where I think she really hosed up was when her daughter said she was afraid getting an abortion would hurt too much. That was her chance to get her daughter to listen by validating her feelings. Instead of belittling her for that, she should have tried to address get daughter's fears and feelings around that, and maybe help her realize that the abortion isn't going to be so bad, that it will be temporary, and then she could talk about how much childbirth sucks and how it would be a lot worse than an abortion.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SalTheBard posted:

she's a 15-year-old who got herself pregnant by some anonymous rando, "if you do this you won't get a fun party" is an infinitely more powerful motivator than "if you do this you'll be consigned to a life of drudgery and frustrated aspirations"

therobit posted:

I think the mom of the pregnant 15 year old is an rear end in a top hat based on her focusing on her own feelings rather than anything else, but she's not wrong to make it clear that she wont help and that raising a baby is going to suck and the daughter will be on her own. Where I think she really hosed up was when her daughter said she was afraid getting an abortion would hurt too much. That was her chance to get her daughter to listen by validating her feelings. Instead of belittling her for that, she should have tried to address get daughter's fears and feelings around that, and maybe help her realize that the abortion isn't going to be so bad, that it will be temporary, and then she could talk about how much childbirth sucks and how it would be a lot worse than an abortion.

it... sounds like she literally did that and it worked.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SalTheBard posted:

So what do you suggest she do exactly

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol at the idea of someone with literally no frame of reference to conceptualize a life outside of school and mom's cooking being mainly into a baby shower for the highly practical gifts of food processors and diapers

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Blade Runner posted:

So what do you suggest she do exactly

It's hard to say because I'm not in that situation. I think her approach is the issue I'm having but not her intent. Personally I feel that she should support her daughter 100% regardless of choice. I can totally see both sides of issue.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
forever paralyzed by the truth is in the middle

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I think we should give the mom some slack. Imagine trying to raise intelligent and sexually safe children and succeeding with the first, only to find out your second is an utter moron intent on making one of the worst possible decisions that will affect not only her own life, but the parents and the potential child as well. Seriously, that 15 year old girl wants to gently caress potentially 4 people over, not bothering to mention the father of the kid or the father's parents. Do whatever you gotta do to convince the girl to not turbofuck everything for the foreseeable future.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I think the daughter should have a good drat abortion but I don't know if she can force her to, I genuinely don't know how that works legally

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dazerbeams posted:

not bothering to mention the father of the kid or the father's parents

this did seem to be her main plan regarding child support yes

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

SalTheBard posted:

It's hard to say because I'm not in that situation. I think her approach is the issue I'm having but not her intent. Personally I feel that she should support her daughter 100% regardless of choice. I can totally see both sides of issue.

You’re an idiot. Supporting 100% a child who wants to carry another child to term and then gently caress off to college is an idiot choice.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Bored posted:

I'm reminded of the old SA fart story where the sound of the fart was described as "a surprised James Earl Jones shouting the word 'BLACK'."

I have no clue why i did not save the story to my phone when I found it last year for a fart story thread :( I'm sorry I don't have the whole thing for you guys.

Hahaha I remember this story! The jist of it was the guy was a bartender and was holding his fart in for like 20 minutes because some customer was pouring their heart to him about some tragedy in their life. He finally got an opportunity to walk into the back office/kitchen or something, locked eyes with a co-worker, and channeled Mufasa.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buzkashi posted:

I really don’t like the 1-10 scale! So much so that I’m gonna write a whole breakdown of it and talk loudly about it until someone directly addresses me!

I mean he didn't even build an assessment off of a multiple Likert-scale questionnaire, how sure cane he even be that she's a 7

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
That moms being an honest OG and letting her daughter know it's gonna loving suck and she's in no way ready to raise a child.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

she's a 15-year-old who got herself pregnant by some anonymous rando, "if you do this you won't get a fun party" is an infinitely more powerful motivator than "if you do this you'll be consigned to a life of drudgery and frustrated aspirations"

it... sounds like she literally did that and it worked.

Nah, she said "then childbirth will kill you" in the middle of a screaming match she was having with her 15 year old daughter. She needed to stay calm and then actually acknowledge and address her daughter's fears. When your kid starts saying they are scared of something is when you listen, validate, then adress. Getting into a screaming match with your kid is basically never an effective strategy. And hey, people make parenting mistakes, but this mom seems to be so wrapped up in her own feelings that she can't seem to pull it together enough to parent effectively.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

SalTheBard posted:

Your take on this is dumb as poo poo and you're legit a moron for saying she should support her 15 year old daughter 100% in doing a thing that will permanently ruin her life

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
imo 15 is old enough to handle giving birth to and raising a child, but not quite old enough to handle a very lopsided soccer defeat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SalTheBard posted:

I think that, given the benefit of hindsight, the parent who forever alienates their child but still convinces them to get the abortion is a better parent than the one who "supports them no matter what" and stands by their side while they dive headfirst into a life of suffering. I don't think I could ever leave my child to suffer forever but I could certainly imagine making them think I would so that they come to their senses.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Mary was an underage mother too, and her baby shower was nothing but some animals and a few randos with baffling gifts that would be no help with a small child. Really makes u think.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
My MIL was knocked up at 15 and her parents forced her to quit school and marry the father.

The marriage didn't work out, shockingly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

gently caress Your Website posted:

Mary was an underage mother too, and her baby shower was nothing but some animals and a few randos with baffling gifts that would be no help with a small child. Really makes u think.

Makes me think she should have gotten that thing taken care of and saved us all a lot of trouble

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Ok fair.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
WIBTA if I got myself a GameCube, even though one was already given to me as a gift?

quote:

I just want to start things off by saying that my relationship is long distance. Visits aren’t as frequent as we'd like, but they last a long time. I’m not sure if it’s information that should be taken into account, but it’s worth sharing.

My girlfriend is an artist. She’s done a lot of art of us and characters we’ve come up with (we’re furries). I figured I’d help make her process more efficient, as she was taking photos and coloring them in Paint at the time. Last May, I bought her a graphics tablet and had it shipped to her house. She was ecstatic to get it. She said she had to repay me, but I told her I wanted nothing in return. Giving gifts is great, and I like being generous.

A few months later, she said she was planning on giving me one of her two GameCubes. My Wii’s disc drive stopped working in 2013, so I wasn’t able to play GameCube games anymore. I refused at first, but was happy to accept it later on. I asked her what models she had. She didn’t know. She was living in a house close to campus, and the other GameCube was at home. I was looking for a DOL-001, but I would have been perfectly fine with a DOL-101 model. They both play games, and that was just fine with me.

I visited her in December, two days after Christmas. She gave me a box. I opened it up to find a model 101 GameCube. That was just fine with me. The thing is, there were no cables and no power source. It was just a system. She apologized and gave me a controller to make up for it. I said it was fine, and took the GameCube home after I left.

After looking for cables and a power source online, I decided to ask a friend of mine, who has a collection of over a thousand games, where a good place to look would be, and if third party parts would be usable (I almost always prefer first party but it’s not always an option). He said third party cables would work fine, but a third party power supply could screw up the image. He didn’t know any other places, and recommended looking for another GameCube.

A few weeks ago, I decided to start looking on eBay for GameCubes, specifically DOL-001 models. I told some friends at the house I live in for their thoughts, and they unanimously said that I was being ungrateful by looking for something someone already took their time to give to me. I tried countering back by telling them that looking for the parts by themselves would be too challenging, and that it’d be easier to get a new GameCube, the same advice my game collector friend told me. I asked my girlfriend about it, and she told me she understands and wouldn’t be offended at all. She also said it'd be nice to use the one she gave me as a backup, should my potential future GameCube fail. That was supposed to settle it, but I’m still being called ungrateful by my housemates, and it's starting to make me think that I might be making a moral mistake.

So, neutral minds of Reddit, I want to know. Would I be the rear end in a top hat if I got myself a GameCube?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

imo 15 is old enough to handle giving birth to and raising a child, but not quite old enough to handle a very lopsided soccer defeat.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think that, given the benefit of hindsight, the parent who forever alienates their child but still convinces them to get the abortion is a better parent than the one who "supports them no matter what" and stands by their side while they dive headfirst into a life of suffering. I don't think I could ever leave my child to suffer forever but I could certainly imagine making them think I would so that they come to their senses.

Agreed. Life is already hard enough as it is. No need to willfully make it 100x harder without fully grasping the situation until it's far too late to back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gently caress Your Website posted:

yeah and look how the kid turned out, on death row by 33