Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Gonna need a title for the movie with the exploring pig

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TimWinter posted:

babe: pig in the city?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Oh poo poo, they have the February 8, 1993 issue of Time Magazine. The "cyberpunk" issue. In middle school I had one period where I was a library assistant. Basically shelving books and periodicals, but mostly just hanging out and reading stuff. When this issue of Time magazine dropped I must have read it 100 times. It caused me to seek out Mondo 2000 any time I was at a book store (I still have the last 5 issues they published).

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

kinda surprised i haven't seen any love death and robots avs yet

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

this is the scariest poo poo to me, because to anyone except experts or guys combing jpegs that's a real woman right there

with this tech + that predictive text poo poo social media could be real bad in the very near future. Imagine arguing with an army of people on twitter only to discover that none of them are real. Imagine the damage you could loving do commanding such a convincing illusion of a large group of people.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

abigserve posted:

this is the scariest poo poo to me, because to anyone except experts or guys combing jpegs that's a real woman right there

with this tech + that predictive text poo poo social media could be real bad in the very near future. Imagine arguing with an army of people on twitter only to discover that none of them are real. Imagine the damage you could loving do commanding such a convincing illusion of a large group of people.

kojima warned us

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

it was a mistake writing an API for human relationships

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
watching Mortal Engines now, it's not really cyberpunk or that steampunk. masonrypunk?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

abigserve posted:

Sounds like social media now though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/metathreads/status/1112432066828869632

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

abigserve posted:

yeah uh so, first off, congratulations on recovering from your coma. second, I’ve got some really bad news about 2016 to today...

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Volmarias posted:

Sounds like social media now though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah uh so, first off, congratulations on recovering from your coma. second, I’ve got some really bad news about 2016 to today...

I'm not convinced on the ethics of bringing him up to date given the sheer amount of hosed up poo poo that has been going on. Would there be a way to construct a story to explain what has been going on without actually exposing him to the sheer horror of the possibilities for abuse the new technologies have opened up? We could try to teach a neural network what's acceptable to people by, say, grabbing a few thousand hours of children's programming off YouTube, then have it edit out the unpleasant bits when people tell him what's going on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TimWinter posted:

pretty sure that's district 9

that effect was produced on-set with a small explosive charge in a bag of offal which smelled just as wonderful as you're imagining

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

are you guys loving with me or do you legitimately not see the difference between current social media mechanisms and the ability to invent an infinite number of convincing fake social media accounts

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

to use youtube as an example, currently the mountains of fake accounts are used to basically trick the algorithms into doing stuff but with this tech their verging on making computers that are convincing as real people (on the platform)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

babe: pig in the city?

:mmmhmm:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

abigserve posted:

are you guys loving with me or do you legitimately not see the difference between current social media mechanisms and the ability to invent an infinite number of convincing fake social media accounts

i'm just contesting the notion that these accounts being 'convincing' matters somehow. an utterly distressing amount of people lack even a basic level of incredulity for outrageous claims they read online, regardless of the source

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

abigserve posted:

i'd love for you to define your baseline for "convincing" because if it's at "has a human looking avatar", boy howdy do i have some news.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
don't get me wrong, automating shitposting via neural networks and giving every bot a unique face via GAN is cyberpunk as hell, but i really don't see it being materially different than the status quo in anything other than volume

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

my opinion is that volume and a realistic facade are the two things missing from most automated campaigns right now and if those problems are solved through machine learning there's a potential to fool a much, much wider audience

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

abigserve posted:

We get it and it's dystopian as heck yes but right now you don't need fake profiles to convince people online of anything.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

infernal machines posted:

don't get me wrong, automating shitposting via neural networks and giving every bot a unique face via GAN is cyberpunk as hell, but i really don't see it being materially different than the status quo in anything other than volume

The volume is the difference. Sure maybe large entities can create hordes of fake accounts combining scripted replies and actual human ones and idk, throw elections for example.

This would just lower the bar to accomplishing that, while potentially making them look more real in the process. Imagine if all those twitter accounts with no avatar and a handful of posts (all retweets of various conservative accounts) suddenly had convincing looking (fake) pictures uploaded, even entire fake conversations with other fake accounts. You wouldn't be able to tell who's real even with a fair amount of effort

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but content wise, what difference would it make?

if i'm not getting gaslit by a dozen fake accounts, am i going to be gaslit by 1000? hmm, this terrible hot take now has the form of a 9th grade book report, surely it must have been written by an opinion columnist and not a twitter bot, i guess maybe it's true after all

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 1, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

related: a good article on deceptive heuristics and media literacy in the context of people who do not exist

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

if only the bathroom goon had been more Cyberpunk than Doom mod:

/rolls out of bed onto freezing steel-plate floor

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*hops around cursing, falls headfirst into bathtub* welp, I was thinking about a skull upgrade anyway

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

When u have the French ambassadors reception at 8 but some Metal Gear sneaking espionage at 9

:eyepop:

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

abigserve posted:

let me check in with my buddy about this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prisoner of waffles posted:

let me check in with my buddy about this

laffo

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
iirc there are actual public RFPs for persona-management software (i.e. tools that help a single human operator manage the job of imitating multiple people online) from the USAF.

if you think of imitating people online to try to impact discourse as having 3 axes of scale, input labor, and quality of output, fully automatic imitation is really just a matter of trying to drop input labor while maintaining quality of output. (consider also that you'll probably still have people QAing proposed poasts)

what I'm getting at is having a fully-auto imitator bot would be more a difference of cost than kind

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prisoner of waffles posted:

iirc there are actual public RFPs for persona-management software (i.e. tools that help a single human operator manage the job of imitating multiple people online) from the USAF.

if you think of imitating people online to try to impact discourse as having 3 axes of scale, input labor, and quality of output, fully automatic imitation is really just a matter of trying to drop input labor while maintaining quality of output. (consider also that you'll probably still have people QAing proposed poasts)

what I'm getting at is having a fully-auto imitator bot would be more a difference of cost than kind

These tweets aren't real, I say, as my election declares itself free and fair and turns into a corncob

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Captain Foo posted:

These tweets aren't real, I say, as my election declares itself free and fair and turns into a corncob

roughly speaking, you should do all your trying to have any political impact either with people you know are real or not online so that you don't turn into the above

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/delaneykingrox/status/1112570351773339649

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

There is an interesting slap-fight happening now between old-school transhumanists and newer trans folks embracing the transhumanist movement. The old-school transhumanists have turned out to be pretty reactionary and lovely to trans folks. Of course, the transhumanist trans folks are falling into the same intellectual traps every transhumanist does, but they’re at least putting a new spin on it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
what traps are those?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

El_Elegante posted:

what traps are those?

Viewing technology as on some set course that inevitably move forward (and not just forward, but forward towards goals they personally desire). The sublimation of deep anxieties leading towards an almost religious belief that their preferred sci-fi solution to them is right around the corner.

Like, for a traditional transhumanist, they might allay their fear of death by convincing themselves that effective cryonics is right around the corner, and the contract they signed with that shady company to freeze their body will mean they get to live forever.

For (some) of the trans folks embracing transhumanism, they do things like convince themselves that, say, biohackers are months away from figuring out how to reconfigure testicles to produce estrogen. They convince themselves they don’t need to actually thinking about transitioning because surely some miracle tech is right around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we're about to enter the Culture and be able to change sex just by thinking hard about it for a moment