Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1113470460207915009?s=21

I don’t even see many GOP congressmen taking his advice seriously

“Just skip the legs at the gym.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

wow wonder why aoc didn't listen to the guy that turned into libertarian thanks to a college professor when the only reason he could afford college was social security survivor benefits and also whose social security privatization plan would've led to the social security administration owning the entire stock market.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

whose social security privatization plan would've led to the social security administration owning the entire stock market.
So you're saying it's too bad this didn't happen, right?!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Yates posted:

This is the correct way to use Paul Ryan's "advice"

Let's talk about people who didn't: I missed it yesterday and this is a big deal. Ron Wyden is going to be pushing for a mark to market, tax as ordinary income approach to investment income.

https://www.finance.senate.gov/ranking-members-news/wyden-to-unveil-plan-to-ensure-wealthy-pay-their-fair-share-

quote:

Everyone needs to pay their fair share and the best approach to achieving that goal is a mark-to-market system that would require the wealthy to pay taxes on their gains every year at the same rates all other income is taxed.

It's as dead on arrival as single payer at the moment. The reason this is exciting is that it's Ron Wyden pushing it. Wyden was previously the chair of the Senate Finance Committee, and is currently the ranking member. He'd likely be the chair if the Dems get the Senate again.

Wyden's not Cory Booker, but he's closer to that camp than Elizabeth Warren. He's an Obama-era believer in bipartisanship, an aisle-crossing dealmaking guy who was ready to work with one Paul (loving) Ryan on a joint healthcare proposal to "strengthen" Medicare during the runup to the 2012 election. Blue Cross is right there in his donor list where you'd expect them to be, and the finance industry spends plenty of money on him. When he got that chairmanship at the tail end of Obama's term, there were articles about how pleased GOP lobbyists and senators were that he got the nod.

I mention all this because, looking at him as a bellweather, this is very good news for what kind of policy the party might back. Wyden both has a safe seat and absolutely stomped a primary challenge from the left in 2016. He doesn't have a need or apparent inclination to pander to the left. If he's pushing policy like this, I read it as because it reflects where the party is headed. He knows that floating this now means that primary candidates might be asked about it, and I sure hope they will be. Locking in cap-gains-as-ordinary-income plus mark-to-market as a main party plank would be huge.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 3, 2019

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Honestly, that seems like a horrible idea. Just means that less companies will go public because private companies are market to market, contributing to what is already a potential time bomb considering current private equity valuations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mcmagic posted:

Now? This is what his entire show is about and has been about since he's been on Fox.

Sure, but not literally stopping the "replacement" terminology. That is signficant.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

plogo posted:

Honestly, that seems like a horrible idea. Just means that less companies will go public because private companies are market to market, contributing to what is already a potential time bomb considering current private equity valuations.

It's not at all clear to me that this proposal is limited to publicly traded securities.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

eviltastic posted:

It's not at all clear to me that this proposal is limited to publicly traded securities.

That would be kind of self defeating if it is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

very cool for a randian moron to run sears into the ground after selling its real estate off to himself.

https://twitter.com/profwolff/status/1113483549049364481

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

eviltastic posted:

Ok, then how do you value the illiquid securities for tax purposes? What is the market they are marking to?

plogo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 3, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not that it's surprising to anyone, but Tucker Carlson is literally pushing The Great Replacement now

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1113232931802308608?s=19

I can confirm that I would like to see a lower percentage of white people.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Pinecone Sample posted:

Remember when the media pushed this narrative that he was a 40-year-old whiz kid on policy?

He's probably the first Republican Speaker in a while who didn't molest boys or cover up for someone who molested boys so that's cool

...that we know of. We didn't know about Hastert at the time either, IIRC.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Is mark to market supposed to be an alternative to a wealth tax? Does someone get to claim a giant loss for the year just because their stocks are worth less?

I guess I’m not seeing the benefit over treating capital gains as normal income and taxing wealth at 0.5% a year or whatever.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Is mark to market supposed to be an alternative to a wealth tax? Does someone get to claim a giant loss for the year just because their stocks are worth less?

I guess I’m not seeing the benefit over treating capital gains as normal income and taxing wealth at 0.5% a year or whatever.

Yeah, I guess we will have to see the full proposal, but that's my impression as well.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Worked for auto company for 49 years and pensions disappear. Work for retail for 30 years and life insurance disappears. Still votes republican no matter what.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1113489517623877635

Democrats did turnout in Wisconsin yesterday, its just that Republican turnout appears to have crazy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mark to market is what allowed enron to pretend like utterly worthless and losing deals reaped enormous profits.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Glumslinger posted:

Democrats did turnout in Wisconsin yesterday, its just that Republican turnout appears to have crazy

Or fake.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

very cool for a randian moron to run sears into the ground after selling its real estate off to himself.

I love the “real capitalism does have legal entities for collectively organizing the holdings of corporations, so clearly this is isn’t a problem with capitalism” replies. :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/kevindelariva97/status/1113488765295554560?s=20

Clearly capitalist anarchy would be a utopia where large corporations couldn’t compete without their special privileges!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm curious how people that write about politics for a living don't get that "medicare for all" is a name and isn't actually medicare for everyone. pelosi made the same error in the rolling stone interview.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1113470835174641667

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

Liquidate Eddie Lampert

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

They wouldn't dare! That would be illegal!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Wrong thread

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Yeah honestly in either Wisconsin or Georgia I just straight don’t trust the vote totals any more.

In Georgia they deleted the data from voting machines immediately after they got a hint at them being double checked, and the legal response was just :shrug:

We know that the GOP was literally stealing votes with absentee ballots.

Probably the only way to ensure fair elections in any of the GOP stronghold states is to have the UN or some other third party oversee the elections to make sure the Republicans aren’t cheating.

And the worst loving part about this being necessary is that it’s another victory for conservative assholes. Losing faith in the democratic process is exactly what they want if they can’t actually win the votes.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Groovelord Neato posted:

mark to market is what allowed enron to pretend like utterly worthless and losing deals reaped enormous profits.
Down the road, it was the standard that was so "punishing" that the SEC suspended it in the mortgage crisis (because nobody would buy the securities/CDOs so they looked worthless and everyone looked insolvent, which they in fact were).

Though Enron basically faked "the market" they were marking to IIRC.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jealous Cow posted:

These people are so loving weird.

USPOL Spring: These people are so loving weird.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Is WI permanently Red now?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is WI permanently Red now?
Nah, 2018 was decent there

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1113220569300897793

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1113454544875393024

Glad to see Jared has company.
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1113473385244307456

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PhazonLink posted:

jogging scrollers sounds like not only YT poo poo, but rich YT poo poo where sidewalks are smoth as hell and have a perfect grade .

like christ walking not good enough for you?

(I want to see the timeline where those kind of parents are in front like sled dogs. God workout identity fads are wierd as eff)

I don't care if they are Louis Vuitton $10M in spending rewards, they should be safe and a company shouldn't be able to get out of a mandatory recall by waiting out an administration change.

Those strollers aren't going to disappear, they are going to go to consignment shops and thrift stores which will put them on the sales floor because they don't show up on the recall lists they check. Others will buy them and the wheels will fall off and there will be injuries all because the sacred job creators didn't want to send out a $5 locking skewer and $0.25 worth of threadlocker to replace the quick release skewer.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

PhazonLink posted:

jogging scrollers sounds like not only YT poo poo, but rich YT poo poo where sidewalks are smoth as hell and have a perfect grade .

like christ walking not good enough for you?

(I want to see the timeline where those kind of parents are in front like sled dogs. God workout identity fads are wierd as eff)

Fascinating angle.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

plogo posted:

Ok, then how do you value the illiquid securities for tax purposes? What is the market they are marking to?

Your guess is as good as mine, since we don't have the whitepaper yet. Wyden's a wonk, so presumably he'd be going off of extant fair value valuation requirements. Diving into issues with mark-to-model vs mark-to-market, level 3 valuation and lessons from the financial crisis would be his jam.

I'm in over my head in terms of policy here, but I'd think there would already be plenty of stuff to go on because hedge funds and the like can elect to have this kind of treatment anyway, and so presumably do so when advantageous.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Mark to market would be an alternative to a wealth tax, I guess, in the sense that it stops the wealthy from deferring their tax burden. Yes, someone would claim a big loss if the market tanks. I would prefer a wealth tax as well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1113495428367036419

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheScott2K posted:

Fascinating angle.

Counterpoint, I christ walk wherever I go and no, it's not good enough for me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

eviltastic posted:

Mark to market would be an alternative to a wealth tax, I guess, in the sense that it stops the wealthy from deferring their tax burden. Yes, someone would claim a big loss if the market tanks. I would prefer a wealth tax as well.

Is there a good reason for losses to be claimable, anyway?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Invalid Validation posted:

Worked for auto company for 49 years and pensions disappear. Work for retail for 30 years and life insurance disappears. Still votes republican no matter what.

Nah dawg, those auto workers are union people and those people NEVER loving forget

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Jogging strollers actually own and are essential to hitting early offloading development milestones.

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Nah dawg, those auto workers are union people and those people NEVER loving forget

The same ones that voted for Reagan right after he fired the striking air traffic controllers, you mean?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So if you all had to predict the dem ticket at this point, who do you think is likely to be the Democratic ticket, and also who would you PREFER to be the ticket? Biden can be included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Zotix posted:

So if you all had to predict the dem ticket at this point, who do you think is likely to be the Democratic ticket, and also who would you PREFER to be the ticket? Biden can be included.

Likely: Bernard
Prefer: Bernard or Warren