Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hempuli posted:

In memory of the "Coachella" predictive text music festival by Botnik Studios, I tried to use markov chains to generate band names:

Apologies for the colours. The results are of course less interesting than with a predictive keyboard, but I think there are some nice ones there. "Rhythm Company B" is somehow very amusing to me.

People give me a hard time, but I've always been a fan of Rockelback

a kitten has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hempuli posted:

In memory of the "Coachella" predictive text music festival by Botnik Studios, I tried to use markov chains to generate band names:

Apologies for the colours. The results are of course less interesting than with a predictive keyboard, but I think there are some nice ones there. "Rhythm Company B" is somehow very amusing to me.

I feel like procedural generation works well with band names as the real ones often don't make sense to begin with.

I do think it got lazy in some cases, Dubstars and Zebraheads are just actual bands with an -s added, Atomic Kittie is almost identical to Atomic Kitten

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I loving love Birth Crypt oh my god

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I feel like most of those would be tribute bands, and I'm cool with that. Some tribute bands get clever with their names, others get lazy, so it works.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Atomic Kittie does all of their songs in "Cheezburger" language

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Das Days of Summer are the Rammstein cover band who reimagine their stuff as 60s surfer music.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

a kitten posted:

People give me a hard time, but I've always been a fan of Rockelback

'Owl Serenade' -- I'm sure I remember them. Oh, yeah:

Communist Q posted:

A friend of mine, who's a musician, recently told me about how he made one of his weirder albums. Apparently he took a fist full of ambien and proceeded to blackout for a few days. A couple of days later he receives an envelope in the mail he sent to himself while blacked out. Inside was a letter that was indecipherable and a thumb drive containing some music. While most of the album isn't worth listening to, this song is.

Original post is in this thread. I'm not sure how much Ambien you need to take to have the output of your own brain count as procedurally generated content, but I think it probably qualifies.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I do think it got lazy in some cases, Dubstars and Zebraheads are just actual bands with an -s added, Atomic Kittie is almost identical to Atomic Kitten

I actually tried to check against the source text to find the most obvious ones but didn't realize that the algorithm could just add an -s at the end, haha. Zebraheads definitely sounded extremely much like an actual band.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I work for a dumb company that has a new writeup for every product every day, and this thread inspired me to put all 1,914 of them into a Botnik keyboard. I tried to put them through a real markov generator but there was too much garbage with my limited coding ability. Anyway it's basically a lovely salespitch keyboard, here's a few of my favorites:

quote:

We sold this hamilton beach breakfast sandwich on amazon and the only people who liked it for $ 75 were sending their best wishes for what was just another bland thing they could get. Those weird dudes have been clamoring for something bigger so we obliged and you might want it: Ethical execution of their lives. We have worked out a way to pry money out of their stupid brain with a dremel.

quote:

We can tell your uncle had a stern look on his face with this panasonic solarsmart portable bluetooth bike. Sorry for that, the price has tumbled from somewhere far away and it is perfect for what we do. Why should you buy this? How about i just hide all your silverware if you dont?

quote:

Of all the technology that we understand, this knife is the ultimate. It flies around the house destroying your furniture, including all your wonderful little household aggravations. We learned to keep it absolutely clear of people. Never know when it swings in your face!

quote:

Of course apple announced plans for a water resistant light bulb within 22 months of our sale, and that suggests they have been the cause of our little secret agent that we choked enough to give us everything we know. Just because this was marketed primarily by a band whose music was made up by a revolutionary new babysitter, and they helped launch people in lab coats on a neverending struggle against being stupid, jobs is going to give us everything in his sweaty room. Unfortunately we were wrong to wish that the market value of printers will ever go back to normal. No matter, we sold them three hundred times when you weren’t paying attention.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Not a bad result

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
finally, a way to get rid of all those household aggravations!

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Friend posted:

quote:

We have worked out a way to pry money out of their stupid brain with a dremel.

I don't think you're supposed to include that in the ad copy

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Negging consumers is The New Marketing. Every Starbucks in Boston now exclusively serves customers by throwing scalding coffee in their face.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Wizzanthos posted:

I don't think you're supposed to include that in the ad copy

not if the ad is targeted at retailers

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Strongbad reads neural-net generated Strongbad emails

https://twitter.com/StrongBadActual/status/1113577095802884097

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Friend posted:

Those weird dudes have been clamoring for something bigger so we obliged and you might want it: Ethical execution of their lives.
Pretty sure I've read that novella? I think it was a goon author too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Negging consumers is The New Marketing. Every Starbucks in Boston now exclusively serves customers by throwing scalding coffee in their face.

Have to admit it's a powerful pitch

quote:

Why should you buy this? How about i just hide all your silverware if you dont?

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

quote:

Unfortunately we were wrong to wish that the market value of printers will ever go back to normal. No matter, we sold them three hundred times when you weren’t paying attention.

Hewlett-Packard, is that you?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wyrbot with the tough question:

https://twitter.com/WYR_bot/status/1110965734983774210

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also i forgot to post this one here, it still makes me laugh:

https://twitter.com/WYR_bot/status/1108033088733540353

epic burn on jimmy

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1114337009944764417?s=20

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That is horrifying and would fit right into a weekend web post

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Chicken soup horror recipe

These new algorithms seem to be able to generate about as good stuff as the predictive text keyboards, but without human input. That's really something; I got very strong "Greased Casserole" vibes from that:
https://twitter.com/jamieabrew/status/695060640931549184

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Is her result reproducible?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Hempuli posted:

Chicken soup horror recipe

These new algorithms seem to be able to generate about as good stuff as the predictive text keyboards, but without human input. That's really something; I got very strong "Greased Casserole" vibes from that:
https://twitter.com/jamieabrew/status/695060640931549184

I wish I could find the audio of some (semifamous?) voice actor attempting to read this with a straight face and failing miserably. That's the good beans

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I wish I could find the audio of some (semifamous?) voice actor attempting to read this with a straight face and failing miserably. That's the good beans

I think something like that was linked previously in this thread?

EDIT: Couldn't find it with a quick check but I feel like the Greased Casserole was discussed earlier and the reading was mentioned then.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's linked like every few pages, just keep going back while Ctrl+F'ing for the word "greased"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dumb Lowtax posted:

It's linked like every few pages, just keep going back while Ctrl+F'ing for the word "greased"

yea like every few of your pages maybe. i spent a full minute binary searching for greased and it was on page 9. That's worst case fwiw.

Here's the link, anyway:
https://soundcloud.com/wrincewind/greased-casserole-with-slices-of-lemon-juice

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
It was also read out at the Desert Bus charity marathon a couple of years back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAiRdMSIVko

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

yea like every few of your pages maybe. i spent a full minute binary searching for greased and it was on page 9. That's worst case fwiw.

Here's the link, anyway:
https://soundcloud.com/wrincewind/greased-casserole-with-slices-of-lemon-juice

The property of containing greased casserole isn't something the thread is sorted on, though, so binary search doesn't actually help here. :confused:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
was wondering the same thing lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

adjacent pages are going to be correlated, though, so you want to maximize your distance from each previous failed sample.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if as claimed the post was quoted a lot, the likelihood of hitting the post or a quote will increase in a binary search

sorry, i was wrong. "every few pages" turned out to be that guys post history prove me wrong

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just trained GAN networks on 27 pages of somethingawful threads to teach them the task of scanning for "greased". Check out what they output

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Krankenstyle posted:

if as claimed the post was quoted a lot, the likelihood of hitting the post or a quote will increase in a binary search

sorry, i was wrong. "every few pages" turned out to be that guys post history prove me wrong

I'm sorry for being a pedant but its really bugging me: Binary search is predicated on the intermediate results having a result that is greater-than or less-than the desired result so you can half the solution space every time. If you're just picking in between your other picks its a grid search.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReiiYoda/status/1084901605093322752

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Larson is back, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

At long last computers have learned to pay Frida Kahlo tribute.