Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Mendrian posted:

Why is it that when you click onto some right wing jerk on Twitter, their own Twitter is always just pages and pages of right wing memes? Never like a single, "Oh man check out this hot dog!" or "Sitting in line at DMV, this sucks" or anything, it's just memes and memes for days?

Assuming they're not a bot, it's because that's the entire point of nationalism, especially white nationalism. You're in the cool kids club and everyone else is an other to be feared/derided/persecuted. Being that hateful requires 24/7 effort and very few distractions. That's why even when these assholes are enjoying recreation, like playing a video game, they can't help but bring up their ideology and start spewing that hateful filth.

EDIT: Tax

https://twitter.com/EmrgencyKittens/status/1114332421166698496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mendrian posted:

Why is it that when you click onto some right wing jerk on Twitter, their own Twitter is always just pages and pages of right wing memes? Never like a single, "Oh man check out this hot dog!" or "Sitting in line at DMV, this sucks" or anything, it's just memes and memes for days?

That's a bot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Taerkar posted:

That's not a factual claim, that's just an opinion. You're not going to make any progress against "Taxation=Theft"

Slugworth posted:

That it's a dumb claim with no basis in reality?

I mean, ask them to define how much someone *should* be taxed. Ask for an in depth explanation of how they arrived at that number.

Otteration posted:

Why should they not have been taxed in the first place again?

Anyway, if they're businessy types:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tax+cuts&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi41In2_7zhAhWB34MKHcxyCt0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1266&bih=980

For example: https://psmag.com/economics/the-tax-cuts-and-jobs-act-of-2017-has-not-paid-for-itself

"The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 Has Not Paid for Itself"

"The Republican legislation, coupled with spending bills, accounts for 46 percent of the growing deficit."

etc.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Of course they owe it. Do they not receive the benefit of (public education\federal highways\national defense\pick your statist poison of choice)?

Well, they say companies shouldn't pay taxes because they create jobs.

But I'm not really interested in the "taxation is theft" angle, as that's just a waste of time. I'm more interested in the "tax breaks aren't subsidies" part of the argument.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Mr Interweb posted:

If this person is a family member, just ask not to talk about this stuff.
If interacting with them is optional, :sever: because that's just stupid. And sometimes, you can't fix stupid.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mendrian posted:

Kind of like anti-vaxxers to be honest.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

When I read this, the outro really stuck out to me:

quote:

At the very least, I see how hard they are pushing to be the last line of defense against greater bigotry and deprivation of rights. I can only hope that Israel’s liberal Zionism will somehow be repurposed, reimagined in a way that recognizes its predecessor’s audacious achievements while abandoning its deficiencies. That true solidarity with Palestinian liberation can be found among Israeli patriots. That thesis and antithesis will, in defiance of doubt, become synthesis.

The whole article reminded me so much of the emotional ups and downs we've been through watching what the Democratic Party has and has NOT done to oppose Trump. The endless debates over Pelosi and Schumer and who is and is not a bad Dem and what moves they or others made were betrayals while which others were sound political strategy. The Left in Isreal is going through the same thing, but so far they're still in their 2017 doldrums. There's no 2018 wellspring of Good Results to help them along.

I think we're all nervous about what the D Primary is going to bring. If a more center candidate prevails, will the left stay home? If a more left candidate wins will the center stay home? Will we get a candidate that can flip the Senate? A candidate that can protect the House? A candidate that can't do either but can still reclaim the White House? A candidate who will lose it all? A candidate that will win it all but then produce nothing of value because of infighting and doom us to worse than Trump in 4 years as the pendulum swings?

It's comforting to think that in a situation that's as bad if not worse, similar people are facing similar fears and still trying their best. That there's still optimism among them that the product of their good intentions and will to make their country a better place isn't just going to be another circular firing squad while Evil Triumphs.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mr Interweb posted:

But I'm not really interested in the "taxation is theft" angle, as that's just a waste of time. I'm more interested in the "tax breaks aren't subsidies" part of the argument.

https://www.backgroundchecks.com/community/Post/5836/Top-10-Largest-Employers-in-the-USA

The top 10 private companies in the US employ about 5,499,000 people.

There were 21,995,000 employed by federal, state and local government in the United States in August, according to BLS.

The GOP believes government jobs don't count.

There are roughly 153.34 million people employed in the US, meaning that government workers account for roughly somewhere around 15% of all workers in the US. The top 10 private companies account for at best, 4%.

21,995,000 to 12,329,000: Government Employees Outnumber Manufacturing Employees 1.8 to 1 (lol look at this right wing schlock website)

https://www.businessinsider.com/percentage-workforce-employed-by-government-every-us-state-2019-1

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 7, 2019

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nice when you can hear the brain worms speaking directly into the mic

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
What is the appropriate term for a straight man who is obsessed with how big, muscled, handsome, and beautiful other men are (especially generals, troops, police officers etc)?

other than "extremely insecure"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

What is the appropriate term for a straight man who is obsessed with how big, muscled, handsome, and beautiful other men are (especially generals, troops, police officers etc)?

other than "extremely insecure"

Vince McMahon Syndrome

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

This is why Trump's whole border thing is completely backwards and horrible and a humanitarian crisis but one that is entirely 100% his fault and would probably have been solved already if there was a Democratic controlled Federal government.

This is entirely ahistorical and incredibly naive fantasy posting about a Democratic Party that nominated a woman in 2014 saying children of undocumented people must be sent back for President.

“We have to send a clear message, just because your child gets across the border, that doesn’t mean the child gets to stay,” the former secretary of state said. “So, we don’t want to send a message that is contrary to our laws or will encourage more children to make that dangerous journey.”

Yeah, that uh, sure sounds like it would have been “solved” under a Democratic executive branch.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

doing them takes me about an hour to an hour and a half since I gather from a rather large feed and try to find the most relevant/timely things for a conversation

Oh, I don’t doubt that your tweetdumps are a lot of work. I appreciate and enjoy them, but I totally understand that you probably have better things to do. That’s why I’m glad someone else is filling in for you.

Incidentally I don’t see why anyone would insist these dumps be in the very slow USNEWS thread. They often generate interesting discussion in here.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SocketWrench posted:

Remember back about 4 years when even sliding near saying this meant the end of your political career?

lol Steve King has been a US Representative for 16 years.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Taintrunner posted:

This is entirely ahistorical and incredibly naive fantasy posting about a Democratic Party that nominated a woman in 2014 saying children of undocumented people must be sent back for President.

“We have to send a clear message, just because your child gets across the border, that doesn’t mean the child gets to stay,” the former secretary of state said. “So, we don’t want to send a message that is contrary to our laws or will encourage more children to make that dangerous journey.”

Yeah, that uh, sure sounds like it would have been “solved” under a Democratic executive branch.

Yes, Hillary sucked. She also would not have created the disaster at the border we have now. No Democrat would have, and any Democrat would instantly undo the policies which have created it. Which is what Sterotype said.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sanguinia posted:

Yes, Hillary sucked. She also would not have created the disaster at the border we have now. No Democrat would have, and any Democrat would instantly undo the policies which have created it. Which is what Sterotype said.

This is yet again, fantasy posting. Nasty poo poo with ICE was happening at the border before Trump, and none of the senior democrats have a single care in their heart for poor people of color of any kind.

Schumer at AIPAC legitimizing genocide because the Palestinians don’t believe in the Torah. Feinstein talking down to young climate activists in a frankly disgraceful matter. Hillary declaring she need to be sending immigrant kids back to these same countries to be killed. Obama saying we need to respect cops more.

You cannot forget that Hillary backed the right-wing coup in Honduras. These are all things that have happened in the past 10 years and none of what you want them to do is anything they have considered doing.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Taintrunner posted:

This is yet again, fantasy posting. Nasty poo poo with ICE was happening at the border before Trump, and none of the senior democrats have a single care in their heart for poor people of color of any kind.

Schumer at AIPAC legitimizing genocide because the Palestinians don’t believe in the Torah. Feinstein talking down to young climate activists in a frankly disgraceful matter. Hillary declaring she need to be sending immigrant kids back to these same countries to be killed. Obama saying we need to respect cops more.

You cannot forget that Hillary backed the right-wing coup in Honduras. These are all things that have happened in the past 10 years and none of what you want them to do is anything they have considered doing.

What is the point of this exactly?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Biden thing made a round on the Radio and it was infuriating listening to the morning crew (Frosty Heidi and Frank) go at it. One dude was excusing the gently caress out of it and telling people to get over it. Ok dude, let's see your daughter's middle school Bio teacher Biden her up and see how cool you are about it.
Like gently caress, body autonomy shouldn't be crazy some moon concept.

Throwing Turtles posted:

I'm a guy and I've had to tolerate a couple of bosses who liked to give morale boosting shoulder rubs. I hated it, always tensed up and then had to awkwardly explain why I hated being touched which is a dumb conversation at work, and I always felt like I was the one in the wrong because how hard is it to not loving touch somebody.
Same. My old work environment was very friendly and I'm selective about who I let touch me, which kind of turned into a running gag for a while. It almost always made me feel like a weirdo autist who should just lighten up.

Eventually at a staff lunch it came about again and I just blurted out "how do you know people like that haven't had some kind of trauma or abuse?"

It got reeeeeeeeeal quiet after that.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Actually, establishment Democrats are scumbag imperialists and capitalists beholden to moneyed interests just as much as the GOP. Democrats are the somewhat less bigoted party of capital.

There is not a "disaster" at our southern border. There a ton of Central American families fleeing violence (in large part US-engineered) who are seeking asylum.

The border "crisis" is the result of decades of American foreign policy. Which you can bet Our Lady Hillary, PBUH, would have continued.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Taintrunner posted:

Would Hillary Clinton have established a zero-tolerance family separation policy for every single undocumented immigrant AND legal asylum seekers for the explicit purpose of using fear of permanent loss of your child as a detterent from trying to enter the country, designed the current literal concentration camp system to house those stolen children which includes a lack of record keeping and tracking to enable reunification of those families as FEATURES so that those children could be handed over to religious extremists for abuse and brainwashing, or proposed the complete elimination of the ENTIRE legal asylum system on the grounds that "America is full," while also cutting off all foreign aid to the countries these people are coming from?

Yes or no will do.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sanguinia posted:

Would Hillary Clinton have established a zero-tolerance family separation policy for every single undocumented immigrant AND legal asylum seekers for the explicit purpose of using fear of permanent loss of your child as a detterent from trying to enter the country, designed the current literal concentration camp system to house those stolen children which includes a lack of record keeping and tracking to enable reunification of those families as FEATURES so that those children could be handed over to religious extremists for abuse and brainwashing, or proposed the complete elimination of the ENTIRE legal asylum system on the grounds that "America is full," while also cutting off all foreign aid to the countries these people are coming from?

Yes or no will do.
I've had friends that basically said "she supported American policies that created those circumstances that the refugees are fleeing so she's just as bad" :kingsley:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Texas Tribune posted:

The activist, Chris McNutt
Oh.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Yes or no will do.

Would Hillary Cinton have covfefe? Serious question. Yes or no will do.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

FilthyImp posted:

I've had friends that basically said "she supported American policies that created those circumstances that the refugees are fleeing so she's just as bad" :kingsley:

This is the ultimate point. Nobody is disputing that Hillary, Obama, Bill, the entire democratic establishment are complicit in creating the BROADER immigration crisis and the atrocities in Latin America that triggered them. The only thing anyone ever said is that nobody in the Democratic party would have ever done the ACUTE horrors Trump has, and therefore would be objectively better.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
I guess I don't understand this thing.

Do people touch each other in the workplace? I've never touched another person at work or had anyone touch me. That is outside of situations where it was literally safety related. I mean I'm going to help the old lady climb down the dangerous ladder from the bunker barge to the launch boat.

What the gently caress is this?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

BrandorKP posted:

I guess I don't understand this thing.

Do people touch each other in the workplace? I've never touched another person at work or had anyone touch me. That is outside of situations where it was literally safety related. I mean I'm going to help the old lady climb down the dangerous ladder from the bunker barge to the launch boat.

What the gently caress is this?

I mean, I'll give a reassuring pat on the shoulder here or there? I've been known to offer a hug if somebody looks like they could use it. I wouldn't do it WITHOUT asking first though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Americans are so loving weird when it comes to physical contact and "personal space" and the like.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I was abused alot as a kid and I tense up hard when people touch me. Luckily in today's environment as a woman, most people ask to touch or hug now. I've had to explain why I am not a hugger to a few folks who pressed the issue though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What do you mean?

Edit: Im asking enraged camel, not the poster above.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

enraged_camel posted:

Americans are so loving weird when it comes to physical contact and "personal space" and the like.

People can decide for themselves exactly what level of personal contact is ok. Nothing is 'weird.' Joe Biden fingerfucking them on camera is probably uncomfortable for most people. It's a matter of consent -- and Joe Biden feels like he can gingerly touch any female without asking. You don't see him giving dudes shoulder massages or sniffing their hair. He's a loving creep, even if he isn't a rapist.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

enraged_camel posted:

Not as weird as the Fins.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

Slave owners created jobs. Billionaires sometimes created jobs. Both to siphon wealth out of the labor of others.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

It is a 20th century phenomena. Look at photo's of the 19th century. Personal space straight up did not exist.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Creating jobs isn't a worthy goal or achievement unless those jobs benefit society as a whole and not some loving billionaire that keeps the lion's share of the wealth generation instead of sharing it with the workers/society.

Making people work just so they "have a job" and can afford to stay alive is bullshit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LeeMajors posted:

People can decide for themselves exactly what level of personal contact is ok. Nothing is 'weird.' Joe Biden fingerfucking them on camera is probably uncomfortable for most people. It's a matter of consent -- and Joe Biden feels like he can gingerly touch any female without asking. You don't see him giving dudes shoulder massages or sniffing their hair. He's a loving creep, even if he isn't a rapist.

Exactly. The fact that he acts this way towards women and not men shows that he knows it's inappropriate on some level whether or not he understands it. Watching him with women it's apparent to me that he sees them as less than himself and less than men. He obviously objectifies them and treats them as less than an equal.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Oh, I don’t doubt that your tweetdumps are a lot of work. I appreciate and enjoy them, but I totally understand that you probably have better things to do. That’s why I’m glad someone else is filling in for you.

Incidentally I don’t see why anyone would insist these dumps be in the very slow USNEWS thread. They often generate interesting discussion in here.

Your wish is my command

1. One is too many, one in four is insanity.

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/1114561661690630144

2. Why do we say cherry picking, rather than use some other fruit?

https://twitter.com/NoOneIsAboveLaw/status/1114598372038598656

3. Maybe combing the two names into Butman would have been better?

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1114601620023726085

4. Is this a new policy initiative? I don't recall seeing it before.

https://twitter.com/IAStartingLine/status/1114532017096548353

5. Disgusting

https://twitter.com/JonathanCohn/status/1114622769201856513

6. Dude might be legitimately stupider than Trump.

https://twitter.com/pklinkne/status/1114667208146288647

7. They just don't care

https://twitter.com/AndyKindler/status/1114703027934388224

8. This is a real bad sign

https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/1114515560329633792
https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/1114517695649783809

9. The most moving thing I've seen on twitter in a while

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1114390459160203264

10. He belongs in a museum!

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1114780468019433473

11. Holy poo poo!

https://twitter.com/MrFilmkritik/status/1114584997879533575

12. Greedy bastards

https://twitter.com/ChrisLu44/status/1114553717083246593

13. Christ...

https://twitter.com/ericswalwell/status/1114719443622428672

14. Missed this incident, glad he got caught

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1114570067893784577

15. Huh, even though I knew that congress had many more wild swings in the past, I thought that was because people just didn't choose to stay in government as long. Not that incumbency didn't have a major advantage.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1114586074842640384

16. WTF!?

https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1114587707962003456

17. It's all tortured whatabout...

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/1114670481418915841

18. I don't think this can be done without a constitutional amendment

https://twitter.com/BrennanCenter/status/1114684965319581696

19. They're just going to keep kicking the can down the road until these kids die or grow up

https://twitter.com/DianeRandle2/status/1114616384489775105

20. Embezzled?

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/1114569207251972097

21. Fox
https://twitter.com/hourlyFox/status/1114788661604835328

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RandomBlue posted:

Exactly. The fact that he acts this way towards women and not men shows that he knows it's inappropriate on some level whether or not he understands it. Watching him with women it's apparent to me that he sees them as less than himself and less than men. He obviously objectifies them and treats them as less than an equal.

He touches men like crazy, too. Multiple dudes have spoken to it, and I saw a collage of pictures of him doing it earlier this week

Can't find it now because GIS-ing Biden gets you the same 4 pictures now, but he's weird with everybody

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

theflyingorc posted:

He touches men like crazy, too. Multiple dudes have spoken to it, and I saw a collage of pictures of him doing it earlier this week

Can't find it now because GIS-ing Biden gets you the same 4 pictures now, but he's weird with everybody

The moral here is just don't touch people you don't know very well. Like, do you know this person well enough to know whether or not they're okay with being touched? If not, then you shouldn't be touching them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah he hugs dudes, but he doesn't give them back rubs while smelling their hair and pecking them on the cheek and grabbing their faces. At least not that I've seen but I'm open to clarification

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The moral here is just don't touch people you don't know very well. Like, do you know this person well enough to know whether or not they're okay with being touched? If not, then you shouldn't be touching them.

The problem is some people like being touched and will be offended if you don't hug them when you meet. There needs to be a way for people to advertise whether they want to be touched or not, like maybe some kind of pin they can put on their suit. Maybe people who don't like being touched should wear spiked clothing like a porcupine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Are there any pictures of him smelling men's hair?