Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id be curious because the rumor is that vikings are in it, not just the focus. i think its gonna be a few eras. also i wonder if we will get another rogue type game because consoles are hitting in the next year or so.

Maybe the setting will be Norman Conquest-era Britain, around 1066. Normans vs. Saxons vs. Vikings could be an interesting mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Ugh can we please leave the West for one loving game

I seriously wonder when they will do an Oriental game. Japan/China/India are all pretty obvious ones with good periods. Americas pre colonization is interesting as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

orcane posted:

E: fixed it.

Holy poo poo the cost to unlock the 3rd to 5th lodaouts :eyepop:

You want to get to the mercenary tier that cuts the price in half. It's soft gating to make sure you don't race your ship 'level' ahead of your character level.

e: replaying 3 really reminds me how much I just want some good city parkour. Maps having a ground level and an upper level was so good.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
The Viking AssCreed is making me excited for a possible Isu Loki. Like, I don't usually follow Isu stuff, but the possibility of Isu Loki loving with things from beyond the grave is hilarious to me.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ulio posted:

I seriously wonder when they will do an Oriental game. Japan/China/India are all pretty obvious ones with good periods. Americas pre colonization is interesting as well.

I really want Petrine Russia

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I just want the next game to have an upgradable power base again. Before odyssey the last game I played was Brotherhood, and 2 to right before it. It would be fun to upgrade a city or even just an estate again.

I wouldn't mind if they tied the conquest system into this too. Let you expand your jarl-dom via conquest and assassination, to shift what parts of the map pay you. Idk. It all felt pointless in Odyssey.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

I just want the next game to have an upgradable power base again. Before odyssey the last game I played was Brotherhood, and 2 to right before it. It would be fun to upgrade a city or even just an estate again.

I wouldn't mind if they tied the conquest system into this too. Let you expand your jarl-dom via conquest and assassination, to shift what parts of the map pay you. Idk. It all felt pointless in Odyssey.

You know I just finished my run of AC3 and this time I played the Homestead stuff and as barebones as it was I realised I really missed the experience of having a group of characters with you throughout the game.

The thing is I think there's space for a whole IP/game built around the homestead style activity. State of Decay has done something similar, but I'm thinking of something a bit more uplifting (not zombies) and with a proper scripted story that develops as you build up.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

You want to get to the mercenary tier that cuts the price in half. It's soft gating to make sure you don't race your ship 'level' ahead of your character level.

e: replaying 3 really reminds me how much I just want some good city parkour. Maps having a ground level and an upper level was so good.

I mean the loadout update that's new in 1.2.0 that's between 35k (still okay-ish) and one million drachmae. I don't see any mercenary tiers (I'm missing S2 through S4) affecting those.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Getting bottle necked by leather, because you need it to upgrade most of your gear. Not a big issue since you can always buy some, but is there a good bulk source, like ships are for wood?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dismantling armor, otherwise not really. Leather drops from killing wild animals scale up with your level, but hunting them isn't going to be fast.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There are a few good places to farm animals. The lions in the Nemean lion area seem to respawns on every fast travel, and take like 2 minutes at most to run to. 4 lions, and at level 51, I get 33-38 leather per lion. It's not the quickest, but you can get some.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

damage boosting weapon effects are active even when the weapon isn't in use (else hunter damage on a melee weapon wouldn't make much sense). but is this true for other types of effects?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the game takes what you have equipped, and applies it to whatever a skill or attack uses (eg. hunter damage if you're shooting bows/use bow skills or assassin damage for assassinations and hero strike). Your inactive second melee weapon doesn't count as equipped for stats/bonuses.

The detailed stat screen should tell you, though.

E: see below

orcane fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 8, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

orcane posted:

Pretty sure the game takes what you have equipped, and applies it to whatever a skill or attack uses (eg. hunter damage if you're shooting bows/use bow skills or assassin damage for assassinations and hero strike). Your inactive second melee weapon doesn't count as equipped for stats/bonuses.

you sure? changing your second melee weapon affects all the displayed damages, just the same as your first weapon and bow.

the dps is determined on a per weapon basis, but i think damage boosts (and maybe other effects) stack cumulatively.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That was wrong in parts. The game is inconsistent about it and the detailed stat screen used to be wrong (no idea if they fixed this by now) - it would show higher damage in the detailed stat screen, implying all equipped gear's stats and traits being added, but the regular inventory UI would show lower damage that wasn't affected by some effects on gear not in active use. The basic UI used to be correct in that case. So, most stats and traits on your inactive secondary weapon are actually added up, but stuff like "convert to fire/poison damage" only apply to the specific weapon. Legendary effects don't stack either, nor do those with "%dmg with weapon type".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been using nothing in my 2nd slot in order to KO people instead of killing them all this time :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

damage boosting weapon effects are active even when the weapon isn't in use (else hunter damage on a melee weapon wouldn't make much sense). but is this true for other types of effects?

The only legendary weapon effects that aren't active when you're using the other weapon are "all weapon damage becomes fire/poison" etc. Everything else is fair game, even bonus effects that you engrave on your off-hand.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
As one of those guys that likes the modern day stuff, I’m looking forward to the Atlantis DLC after playing the latest lost tale, which follows directly from the ending of the ancient artifacts questline

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I killed Kyra's father before talking to her about the doll. Which I think stopped me from being able to confront her about it?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Der Kyhe posted:

It was even worse the first time around: After being Ezio for the last three games you were the suave, slick talking playboy and a loving invocation of terror who was built like a tank and armed to kill a loving army. Your name was the curse of death among your enemies and even the mightiest rulers of the era mobilized their entire armies to slow you down long enough to hide and escape, because your were the wrath of loving god ripping everything they had built apart and they knew that they will die, it is now only a matter of time. Showing up to give some lip to Ezio was an easy way to find out how many times you can be stabbed before you lose consciousness. Even if you bring the entire loving army with you should you be insane enough to lead it personally. It was implied that Ezio hosed and stabbed around enough in Renaissance Italy to probably cause a genetic shift similar to what Genghis Khan did in real life. The game gave a real implication that your character was the most loving dangerous thing walking on face of the Earth and even his enemies knew that fact very well.

And then we go to AC3, and get the tutorial segment with the cool colonial James Bond who could have easily carried the torch. But no, we finally end up as Connor, who once went to interrogate a meathead of a marshal and managed to get captured by a guy who probably could not even spell his own name. And right afterwards was actually put to gallows, and the enemies didn't give enough poo poo to actually even hide from you, they just usually smack talked you while their goons gave you a beating. They were even present at the same political events with you, but you really could not do jack poo poo because that would have been rude or something. Also, being incompetent and stoic really did not do any favors in the player experience part.

This post is art.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Decided to unlock my third load out slot. Made a gimmick set up of fire weapon + fire bow, with every slot having warrior damage + fire damage.

Fire DoT still feels pathetic, but lighting people on fire is amusing.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Waiting for the Ahmed Ibn Fadlan cameo in assassin creed vikings

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
acl is still bad but it's more fun than ac3

fite me cowards

According to trophy data more PS4 players have beaten AC3 than have played the first sequence of ACL. This makes me sad.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Francis posted:

fite me cowards

According to trophy data more PS4 players have beaten AC3 than have played the first sequence of ACL. This makes me sad.

ACL?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Liberation

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The homestead missions in 3 aren’t bad but I do like how the first one for every person tends to be them getting harassed by a group of people then:

“I’m Smelter Joe and I just want to be alone and smelt things”

“We could use such a person on our homestead if you would accept the offer”

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is the Sparta Kick in Odyssey worth getting if I'm playing an Assassin build? I really only want to get it if it's powerful enough to send enemies flying over low walls because if it can't then I've got other attacks that are good for playing King of the Mountain and using gravity to kill tough opponents.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Waiting for the Ahmed Ibn Fadlan cameo in assassin creed vikings

Do you think videogame voiceover work would be too beneath Antonio Banderas for him to reprise his role?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

Is the Sparta Kick in Odyssey worth getting if I'm playing an Assassin build? I really only want to get it if it's powerful enough to send enemies flying over low walls because if it can't then I've got other attacks that are good for playing King of the Mountain and using gravity to kill tough opponents.

I don't think it can send enemies flying over walls, but it can be super handy when boarding a ship, because if you kick someone off the ship (which is super easy to do in most cases) they die. Apparently they can't swim?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

They get eaten by sharks.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what sucks about conner is i feel like he could have been a interesting character because the core of his character is good. the problem is his writing and that his dad is much cooler.

With the biggest margin by far the most glaring problem with the writing in AC3 was the constant "your character fucks up in the cutscene"-barrage, or "oh but the bad guys already got there before you and won this round, you just did not know it". Why get invested in the story when the story has already decided that the player charter is touched in the head and incompetent in his one job? Since Connor is also the only assassin around, it easily gives the impression that the guy keeps failing upwards, like a wall street CEO, which as everyone knows, is a stereotype fitting for a heroic protagonist.

This same gimmick was used in the AC: Syndicate where the game asspulled that Templar lady to immediately appear to the hidden room which was unknown to everyone for hundreds of years, and the player character lost the thingy they were after because gently caress you why not. I almost swore out loud when this finally happened in the AC:O in the lighthouse scene right after the forced boss fight where you are cutscene-forced to gently caress up stealth approach, but this time the writers had the decency to actually not pull this stunt off. I was almost certain that next we need to send Bayek and the roman guy to fix things since the other player character lost cut scene battle to the random army mook nr.1255.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 8, 2019

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Lobok posted:

I usually like playing the assassin role, especially in fortresses and quarries, and I find it handy since a lot of the tougher enemies like to stand right by ledges and it only costs a bar of adrenaline.

Try it out I guess? You always respec if you find you never use it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tribbledirigible posted:

I usually like playing the assassin role, especially in fortresses and quarries, and I find it handy since a lot of the tougher enemies like to stand right by ledges and it only costs a bar of adrenaline.

Try it out I guess? You always respec if you find you never use it.

Not so much the adrenaline or skill point cost as it is the melee ability slot that makes me hesitant to get it. It's situational while my other melee skills are being used all the time. But you're right, no harm in trying it out for a while. It does seem silly to play this game and not use it at least once.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the Assassin build now that I'm in my mid-20s and levelled up my spear a couple times. They've done a good job of translating the typical RPG Rogue into this hack 'n' slash game. All I need to get now is the gear set that eliminates the Shadow of Nyx adrenaline cost and the Legendary Engraving that boosts damage from behind and I'll be one helluva(n) invisible, backstabbing bastard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

Not so much the adrenaline or skill point cost as it is the melee ability slot that makes me hesitant to get it. It's situational while my other melee skills are being used all the time. But you're right, no harm in trying it out for a while. It does seem silly to play this game and not use it at least once.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the Assassin build now that I'm in my mid-20s and levelled up my spear a couple times. They've done a good job of translating the typical RPG Rogue into this hack 'n' slash game. All I need to get now is the gear set that eliminates the Shadow of Nyx adrenaline cost and the Legendary Engraving that boosts damage from behind and I'll be one helluva(n) invisible, backstabbing bastard.

In case you weren't already aware, the second level of the Hunter Mastery passive recovers 1 bar of Adrenaline every time you leave combat. This is imho essential for Assassin builds since you can open up with a Rush or Critical Assassinate right from the beginning. Assassin builds also benefit bigly from anything related to "crit chance + crit damage at full health" since you'll almost always be initiating combat at 100%.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

In case you weren't already aware, the second level of the Hunter Mastery passive recovers 1 bar of Adrenaline every time you leave combat. This is imho essential for Assassin builds since you can open up with a Rush or Critical Assassinate right from the beginning. Assassin builds also benefit bigly from anything related to "crit chance + crit damage at full health" since you'll almost always be initiating combat at 100%.

I did not know that about the Hunter Mastery. I know it's been brought up in the thread before but man it'd be nice to see what the second and third tiers of skills offer without having to buy and upgrade them. Because hell yes I want that skill. That one skill in the Hunter tree for getting a full bar of adrenaline if you generate even a little is already essential for stealthily taking down forts.

Question about leaving combat though, what is the exact definition? Because there are plenty of times when I'm fighting and I'll slip away and my pursuers will revert to question mark status trying to find me but the assassination prompts still don't come up when I double back and sneak up on them or get up above them.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 8, 2019

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

got the plat trophy and reunited my fam. great game, bring on the vikings

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Don't know if the gal that murders stray passerbys for an adrenaline rush, is the best partner for philosophical dialogs on justice, Socrates.

(It's cool that some quests keep track of how bloody your approach was).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Francis posted:

fite me cowards

its because liberation is bad. sure the character is decent and the setting is cool but its clearly a upgraded console port of handheld game and it shows. plus its just boring and overly complicated. the dress system is dumb as hell and makes everything longer and more complicated.

Der Kyhe posted:

With the biggest margin by far the most glaring problem with the writing in AC3 was the constant "your character fucks up in the cutscene"-barrage, or "oh but the bad guys already got there before you and won this round, you just did not know it". Why get invested in the story when the story has already decided that the player charter is touched in the head and incompetent in his one job? Since Connor is also the only assassin around, it easily gives the impression that the guy keeps failing upwards, like a wall street CEO, which as everyone knows, is a stereotype fitting for a heroic protagonist.

This same gimmick was used in the AC: Syndicate where the game asspulled that Templar lady to immediately appear to the hidden room which was unknown to everyone for hundreds of years, and the player character lost the thingy they were after because gently caress you why not. I almost swore out loud when this finally happened in the AC:O in the lighthouse scene right after the forced boss fight where you are cutscene-forced to gently caress up stealth approach, but this time the writers had the decency to actually not pull this stunt off. I was almost certain that next we need to send Bayek and the roman guy to fix things since the other player character lost cut scene battle to the random army mook nr.1255.

well conners plot feels like a cartoon where the same baddie team keeps showing up and they kinda fight and they gently caress off or he loses and then wins. in the other assassin creed games, before and after, they usualy keep the templars farther away from the main character until the plot demands it or some twist. in 3, he is around lee and the others like 10 loving times and doesn't do dick.

on your other point, syndicate for its issues has good characters even if they are a little tropey.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 9, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rinkles posted:

(It's cool that some quests keep track of how bloody your approach was).

The best one was going full blood rage for an Alcibiades quest and then he just shrugs and mutters “...well, sometimes it can’t be helped” and he clearly doesn’t care

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

on your other point, syndicate for its issues has good characters even if they are a little tropey.

Yeah I agree, the characters in Syndicate and in Origins tend to be well-written especially for game characters.

I just hate the Uncharted and Tomb Raider -honored classical "the evil guys used the back door and are already here waiting" and "the PC fucks up basic functionality in the cutscene" gimmick writing. So why exactly are they hiding behind the corner, or that table, or in the closet, just waiting for the player to reach the room or get the thingy out of its case? Why not just grab the thing and run before the player even got there? Why am I now losing a fight to three basic mooks when I just put a platoon of them to hospital/graveyard?

And how in the gently caress can they possibly know the exact location of the legendary lost treasure room which was hidden for the last millenia, especially if finding and unlocking it requires some special gift like Eagle vision, which is a thing they do not possess or even understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

On a separate note, we're going to have to come up with better abbreviations for Origins and Odyssey.