Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Baronjutter posted:

Ira is a big old silly nerd who can't let go of some huge nerdy chips on his shoulder but hes a great guy and everyone always has stories about how he'd stick his neck out and protect and support them and fight for the good things

Yeah, he’s on record as saying had he known about the Berman poo poo with Terry Farrell, and known he was denying her recurring status for season 7... it never ever would have happened. She wouldn’t have been killed off and she’d do half the season.

But he was unaware and thought she just wanted to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd wager that the Romulans are probably ELINT kings of the quadrant. Whatever the hell quadrant they're in.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Transmodiar posted:

You know, you could always just link people to my site instead of The Internet Archive so I'd get a little extra traffic every now and then. :)

https://earthprime.com/articles/universe-builder

Sorry about that! There was some reason that I didn't, and unfortunately, I don't remember why? Anyway, edited my original post to give credit where credit is due.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 9, 2019

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The_Doctor posted:

So, with the existence of Section 31, what does Starfleet Intelligence do all day?

They select random engineers and send them on dangerous deep undercover missions against their will.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so has Ira Steven Behr actually done something worth tearing him down for or are y'all ripping on him cuz of his beard and the fact that he was a showrunner?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't have a problem with Behr; I hate retrospectives and am mean.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I like retrospectives because I'm stuck living in the 90s.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember reading the DS9 and Voyager companions at my library and the Voyager companion was a self-congratulatory everything is great thing with a a few brief notes on each episode that felt like it was written by someone who never got to speak to anyone on staff and the DS9 one was an amazing in-depth thing with quite long fascinating backgrounds on writing and producing each one and was quite warts-and-all with them owning up to a lot of mistakes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nodosaur posted:

so has Ira Steven Behr actually done something worth tearing him down for or are y'all ripping on him cuz of his beard and the fact that he was a showrunner?
People are having the shuddering nerd-shames because the guy's a goofus

Sash! posted:

I'd wager that the Romulans are probably ELINT kings of the quadrant. Whatever the hell quadrant they're in.
I forget if it's official but I think one of the retcons to explain why there's way less wireless communication on the ships than you'd expect is that the Romulans were constantly hacking everything and Starfleet had the sense to go "OK, no, gently caress you, we'll bring back switchboards and poo poo."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm beginning to wish they never made DS9

Babylon 5 was enough.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember going to see a theatrical presentation of The Menagerie back in 2007 with my then-girlfriend, I don't remember the other Trek nerds there being particularly annoying or gross or weird. Hell, it wasn't even a full house, I think the theater was less than half-full.

My one experience with a theater full of Trekkies was winning the KHAAAAAAAAAAAN contest at a local theater's ST 2009 premier. I won a copy of the incredibly, ridiculously, stupid hard trivia game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight's episode of TNG was Darmok, which in my opinion is one of the best Star Trek episodes ever.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
if i mock ira behr it is an affectionate mocking filled with love

I said come in! posted:

Tonight's episode of TNG was Darmok, which in my opinion is one of the best Star Trek episodes ever.

HE DIED SO THAT THEIR PEOPLES MIGHT BETTER UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER it is powerful poo poo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol but seriously I posted:

if i mock ira behr it is an affectionate mocking filled with love

HE DIED SO THAT THEIR PEOPLES MIGHT BETTER UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER it is powerful poo poo

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

People are having the shuddering nerd-shames because the guy's a goofus
I forget if it's official but I think one of the retcons to explain why there's way less wireless communication on the ships than you'd expect is that the Romulans were constantly hacking everything and Starfleet had the sense to go "OK, no, gently caress you, we'll bring back switchboards and poo poo."

I just watched Disaster a couple of nights ago, where the Enterprise runs into a quantum filament and the ship loses power and it was interesting to see how they were just utterly lost without the computer online.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’ve posted a trailer for the DS9 documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxHtZqzie1k

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

No lie I just got this in shirt form from Ali Express today. Unfortunately I forgot that a Chinese large isn't an American large so I can't really wear it until I start cycling again or something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It took me an embarrassing number of rewatches to realize that Gilgamesh as told by Picard is also a metaphor for their situation. Though most of those were as a child

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Watched Little Green Men last night, I love how everyone in 1947 is full bore 50s B-movie acting.

It’s funny how the Greatest Gen came sooooo close to realising this and still failed.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's amazing, nothing I've seen posted about that Greatest Generation podcast makes me want to listen to it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's amazing, nothing I've seen posted about that Greatest Generation podcast makes me want to listen to it.

the joke in the thread title is good

That's about it though, yeah

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They aren't great!

My favorite bit in their last episode was them urging their listeners to delete their Facebook accounts and in the next breath saying to follow them on Twitter and in the greatest gen subreddit

But it sure as poo poo beats mission log!

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 9, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

They aren't great!

My favorite bit in their last episode was them urging their listeners to delete their Facebook accounts and in the next breath saying to follow them on Twitter and in the greatest gen subreddit

Well facebook is almost certainly worse than twitter and probably on par with reddit for being complete festering poo poo but in completely different ways

It IS certainly a tall order to ask people to just unplug from all social media. I hope some sort of inexpensive but paid replacement for facebook springs up soon because I think people are desensitized enough to monthly fees to pay like $5/mo for a platform that doesn't commoditize you and everything about your life. Not everyone, but enough people to both make it profitable and take a sizable bite out of the "free" platforms

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hate Star trek fans. Only Star trek fans would miss the point of Star trek and then have a whole loving radio show about it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They would just commodotize your life in addition to the monthly charge

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

They would just commodotize your life in addition to the monthly charge

I mean, maybe, but in a more controlled, accountable way. It is certainly feasible that these things can exist and not be evil. Surely here in the Star Trek thread we can at least imagine pro-social technology

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Idea for an episode of Discovery. Burnham and crew save a family from danger and transport them to a colony. They have a baby at the end and name it Charlie. Saru is like "We never got your name" and they answer "It's X. Mr and Mrs X"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:same:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

True enough, and yet the star map is not centered on Vulcan.

Maybe it is on Vulcan ships? :sun:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

They’re okay guys and it’s a fun excuse to watch through DS9 again. But they have some quite frustrating Trek opinions.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
When FCA wants frustrating trek opinions he knows where to find me :colbert:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Greatest Gen guys are both video editors by profession and it's interesting to hear some of their insight into cinematography and editing and directing of episodes that goes over my head when I'm watching the show.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 9, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Enjoying some classic TOS.

Arena: I'm not a fan of the blinky Gorn.

Space Seed: Ignoring the blackface, Ricardo Montalban is mesmerizing in every word and motion. It's kind of disturbing how endeared the crew is even after finding out he was a tyrant. Spock is right, humans be crazy.

Devil in the Dark: I remembered laughing at the Horta as a kid, but this is actually a real good episode. Spock gives a great performance.

City on the Edge of Forever: I realized I never saw this one. The premise for the time travel is hokey and I feel like the end is terribly rushed, but McCoy is astonishing, wow.

the Changeling: STOP. TRYING. TO SHOOT IT. After the first redshirts got sterilized, you'd think the others would get the picture.

Mirror, mirror: What a fun episode. Spock's goatee is impressive, but he's got nothing on Uhura's abs! :stwoon:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

They aren't great!

But it sure as poo poo beats mission log!

i just don't listen to Trek podcasts

Pick posted:

When FCA wants frustrating trek opinions he knows where to find me :colbert:

impromptu screening of More Tribbles, More Troubles at K's place was extremely pro move btw

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love both shows, but Babylon 5 is a cooler space station than Deep Space Nine.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

i just don't listen to Trek podcasts

Rachel Watches Star Trek is good fun, and following along gives me a good excuse to re-watch old TOS episodes I haven't seen in a zillion years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

davidspackage posted:

McCoy is astonishing, wow.

Kelley is probably the most underrated actor from TOS. Everyone swoons over Kirk and Spock, but for my money McCoy was the best acted character on the show when he got a chance to shine - which was rare.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Kelley is probably the most underrated actor from TOS. Everyone swoons over Kirk and Spock, but for my money McCoy was the best acted character on the show when he got a chance to shine - which was rare.

Fully fully agreed, he was easily the best

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kelley sure could hustle. It’s really impressive that a guy who wasn’t in either pilot or the original pitch or anything managed to make himself a third lead on a show as non-character-focused as TOS. I think a lot of his staying power is actually due to his performance in “The Man Trap”. He only really gets a couple of other episodes to carry the emotional weight of the story and they’re mostly not very well written, but he does a killer job in the first episode ever aired.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Koenig, Nichols and Takei are at Phoenix Comicon Fan Fusion next month.

Garrett Wang is there too, but which Garrett Wang? The Quantum version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Bloop posted:

I mean, maybe, but in a more controlled, accountable way. It is certainly feasible that these things can exist and not be evil. Surely here in the Star Trek thread we can at least imagine pro-social technology
What any of these systems need is a moderation staff, even if it is only part time.

A moderation staff costs money.

The big selling point of tech is "this needs (hardly any) staffing!"

We'll make the holograms do it.