Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ulex minor posted:

what about the little girls feelings themselves? maybe they both miss their friend and are sad they're not allowed to play together any more. the parents should have talked this out together.

A new challenger appears

E.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

basically this. you protect the victimized child, not the victimizer. it doesnt matter in the moment what the intention or knowledge behind the word was, it matters that the black child is protected and shown by example that they absolutely have no responsibility to be accepting or understanding or tolerant of being called an extremely vile racial slur, with included racist context that almost certainly proves that there was ill intent, even if only ill intent from the person who taught the white child these things by example.

You (and the other posters in this vein) are right. I thought about it some more, and my thinking does put an onus on the victim (or those nearby them) for no other reason than their victimization. I still think the constructive discussion is “better” because it may in some situations lead to an “optimal” outcome, but agree that it is unfair (and somewhat myopic) to count it against someone who doesn’t.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

kimbo305 posted:

Are you saying it's not an American idiom?

I'm saying I know its an English one because we have a riot act

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

JFairfax posted:

I'm saying I know its an English one because we have a riot act

Read the riot act is also an idiom in American English.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
My (24F) boyfriend (28M) gets paranoid when we have sex and keeps going out to buy Plan B when we are already praticing safe sex.

CaptainShoe21 posted:

My boyfirend and I have been together for 2 months. I had 2 past relationships and have 3 past sexual partner while he also have 2 past relationship but I'm his first sexual partner.

When we have sex we always use a condom. The condom fits him fine and is very comfortable for the both of us. I do planning on getting a IUD once we been together longer and I don't take the pill because I'm not good at schduling myself to take it.

When we start having sex everything was fine and enjoyable until recently. 5 days ago we had sex with the condoms I provided. After he ejaculate and pulled out he started getting paranoid because he thinks the sperm leaked down onto the base and I'm at risk of pregnancy. The condom never slipped out, never break, no leakages, and there was no sperm on his shaft when we removed it. I assure him we are fine but he got really paranoid. For the sake of his mind, I took Plan B.

Yesterday we had sex again with a condom. Once he finished and pulled out he got paranoid again. Saying how the sperm didn't gather at the tip of the condom and was slightly off to the side of the head and he wasn't as hard as he normally is so he think it happen again and wanted me to take Plan B just to be safe. I'm very annoyed at this point. I tried to reason with him. There's no slips, beakage, leaks, ect, I even assure him the white stuff on his base is ME because it smells like me and feels like me. It didnt work so he ran out and bought Plan B which I take.

I'm very annoyed at this point and dont know what to do. The unresonable parnoidia is making me not want to have sex with him and his lack of sex education is too mind boggling. Or maybe I'm the wrong one. I don't know.

TLDR: Boyfirend gets paranoid when having protected condom sex with me and doesn't listen to my experiences reasoning and make me keep on taking Plan B.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HMS Beagle posted:

Read the riot act is also an idiom in American English.

if only the riot act had been effectively enforced upon the upstart Americans

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My [17M] mother is trying to keep me from having a friendship with my favorite cousin [18F] because she thinks we are ‘too close’, any advice?

quote:

u/DontSayAlabamaPlz

My [17M] cousin [18F] and I have a very close relationship. Yes, we are very close and love each other a lot but I feel like my mom is overreacting. Well, she and I have not really grown up together up until when I was about 15 because she lived 100 miles away. She moved nearby and we have been together since she moved over here. The worst thing that has happened between us was that she felt me up down there and that she has let me see her upper body naked.

That’s only the worst. It’s not like she and I are going to have sex with each other or anything, we are close and comfortable with each other that’s all. Now, my mom has told me to ‘be careful around her and not do anything stupid’ and she has tried to keep me away from her. I think this is because when we have family parties and they all get drunk, she and I cuddle in my room and sleep together (no I have not had sex with her).

She does flirt with me a lot and we do say “inappropriate” jokes about eavh other but it’s innocent and nothing is going to happen. She’s my favorite person and we love to hang out with each other but both of our moms don’t want us to ‘go down that road’. She and I wanted to go on a summer vacation together out of town to visit some family out of state (we would get a suite for a few nights and we would pay everything) but my mom does not want me to go. She says she most likely won’t let us go but I really do want to go. Is there anything I can really do to get her to let me go? I mean I really won’t do anything wrong.

TL;DR My mom wants to ruin my relationship with my cousin because she is thinking wrong

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Straight White Shark posted:

My [17M] mother is trying to keep me from having a friendship with my favorite cousin [18F] because she thinks we are ‘too close’, any advice?

"u/DontSayAlabamaPlz"

well I have to give him a little credit

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OP is secretly VC Andrews.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Looking for content and stumbled upon another :stare: that I won't copy over, but the title is "I (26F) found terrible stuff while cleaning out my late brother's (30M) room. What do I say to his wife (28F)?" You can guess where it goes, everyone is telling her to stop going through his things ASAP, lawyer up, and turn over every one of his possessions to police.

quote:

I am sappy. I feel things at a deeper level than most. I (26m) feel that my girlfriend (22f) gets annoyed at it sometimes.
[new]

tl;dr at bottom My girlfriend and I are total opposites. I mean... all the way at separate ends of the spectrum. Sometimes it works, sometimes it really clashes. If you’re into the zodiac signs and whatnot, I am a pisces and she is a virgo if that tells you anything. Anyways, from time to time I feel that she may get annoyed with how sappy I am. She’s expressed to me, “not everybody feels things like you do. It doesn’t always have to be that deep. This isn’t a movie.” Those are hard things to hear when I am just being myself. If I toned it down or stopped being this sappy person I am, I’d feel that I wouldn’t be being true to who I am as a person. Yes, I show emotions more than people and am not afraid to express how I am feeling. I wear my heart on my sleeve. Ya know? Should I really tone it down a bit and maybe she’ll come around and actually miss how I am? Do I remain the same and continue to just be me? I don’t want to “push her away” per say... But I don’t want to sacrifice something about me that I have always loved about myself. I love love. I write love letters, I send sweet texts, I let her know how beautiful she is any chance I get, etc. I don’t think I am doing too much to where it’s like... way too much. I do it in a way that’s natural to me. Any advice? Any girls that could give an input on how they feel about a guy that is just really sappy and has seen too many romantic movies? Help me out here because I really love this girl and want it to work without feeling like I have to change who I am.

I am sappy, I’ve seen the notebook too many drat times, and I am afraid that my girlfriend gets agitated at how often I am so sweet to her.

:jerkbag:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
:nws: But in a funny way, not an abuse way. Also, don't do drugs, kids.

TIFU by putting a 5 hour energy in my vagina

kenmademedoit posted:

12 hours before my first “grown up job” interview, I was sent a drug test permission form which stated it was to be done on company’s grounds. Considering I smoke weed daily I started looking up ways to pass a drug test. I came to the conclusion that I was going to need some clean pee, a small container, and a way to keep it body temperature. I had clean pee and an off brand 5 hour energy bottle (they’re just a tad wider) but needed temperature strips to monitor the temperature.

Unfortunately I was unable to obtain any temperature strips in the time I had to prepare, but knowing that I wouldn’t be able to pass if the temperature wasn’t correct I had the idea to stick it up my vagina. I tested it the night before and even tied a string to it so I could pull it out with ease and everything worked great.

Fast forward to the interview. It was an hour and a half away so I decided to wait till I got there to insert it. I did it in my car w some coconut oil before I walked in just Incase they decided to drug test me first. I walked in and everything was fine, I signed in and they told me to take a seat. As soon as I sat down I knew something was wrong. I went to the bathroom to make sure I could still take it out. I began pulling on the strings but the bottle didn’t move. I tugged again and the string broke. At this point I’m freaking out. I try getting it out with my fingers but I can’t reach it. The only “tools” I have on me are a mechanical pencil and a pen. So in a 3 piece suit and heels, I squat and begin to use these “tools” to try and remove the bottle. About 4 min go by and I’m really freaking out but need to go back Incase they called my name. I walk out and the HR rep sees me and asks if I’m okay. I tell her I have a tampon stuck up my vagina that I can’t get out and that’s why I’m freaking out. She then takes me to the nurse and tells me that hey she can remove it for me! Not wanting the target nurse to pull a bottle of pee out of me, I ask her if I can just try again myself, she says sure and hands me tweezers. Obviously that didn’t work. So she then gives me these scissors with a hook at the end and a disinfectant wipe... Still didn’t work. At this point I just have to do the interview. It lasted 3 hours and I had to take a tour of a 900,000 sq ft distribution center.

When the interview finally ends I rush to the closest urgent care where I have to explain to the doctors why there’s a 5 hour energy in my vagina. At this point I’m convinced I just don’t have the right tools and they’ll get it out in no time. Upon looking, the doctor informs me that not only is it lodged behind my pelvic bone, but that it’s also sideways. Her first idea is to drill a hole into the bottle IN MY VAGINA and then fish it out. ~Luckily~ they just sent me to the ER instead.

So now I’m at the ER where they then inform me that since it’s behind my pelvic bone getting it out would mean essentially birthing a 5 hour energy bottle, but since I wasn’t actually giving birth my body wasn’t dilated and they couldn’t remove the bottle without putting me under.

Well, after 8 hours of having a 5 hour energy bottle lodged in my person, it was finally removed. I didn’t get the job and I didn’t even get drug tested.

TLDR: tried to pass a drug test by sticking a 5 hour energy bottle filled w clean pee in my vagina. After 8 hours, an urgent care visit, and a trip to the ER it was finally removed

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/relationships
I [23M] am really into the thought of my GF [23F] dressing up for me during sex.
u/Came_Naller

quote:

I'm really into the idea of my girlfriend dressing up as Velma (Yes, Velma) and I'm quite worried about being open about it to her.

I want to be able to be open and tell her, but first off it's quite an embarrassing thing to admit to unless she's open minded and adventurous, but she isn't really. I said I thought the idea of her wearing boots for me was quite sexy, but she said it was too weird for her and she's 'not going to wear them' during sex. She's simply not into anything adventurous, just plain PIV sex.

I understand that if something is too strange for her to enjoy that she shouldn't have to do it for me. The repercussion though is that I don't feel I can be open about the things I enjoy for fear of her thinking it's too weird.

I think it comes down to me being more open to experimentation than she is. It leads me to feel I can't communicate my desires towards her. I'm absolutely sure the Velma thing would be far too odd for her.

I guess my question is, how can I warm her to the idea of trying some new things, and make her less weirded out by these things I'd like to try?

tl;dr: Want to be able to be more open about what I want to try in bed, but GF is only into plain PIV with no kinks involved. Is there a way I can warm her to ideas? I don't feel it's as easy as being straight up about it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lol these cousins def gonna gently caress

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of the most confusing conversations I remember from my teenage years was a friend who asked wanted everyone in our social group to identify our "hot cousins" for one another, so we could of course arrange some sort of cousin swapping dating system.

He was astonished that none of us were able to identify "hot cousins".

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my wife she can't sleep in the same bed as her mom?

My wife and I just recently moved 1000 miles away from her family. A little bit of background; my wife is an only child, and her mom was a single mom to her growing up. They are extremely close, talk everyday, video chat every weekend etc. It was her moms birthday a few weeks ago and as a surprise, she flew her mom up here and had her stay with us a couple of days. We all hung out and had a wonderful time; I really get along well with my MIL and it's great. On the last night of my wife's mom being here before her flight in the morning, as we were getting ready for bed, I notice my wife gathering a bunch of blankets and pillows. I ask her what she's doing and she said "oh I'm gonna sleep with my mom tonight". I'll admit I didn't react well because that concept is so weird to me. My family and I are not close at all, my sister and mom have never slept in the same bed, and I find it weird that a woman in her 30s wants to sleep in the same bed as a woman in her 50s. It's...creepy to me.

I told her so, and said it icked me out. She got pissed and told me to stop being gross, and that I can gently caress off because she is going to hang out with her mom before she leaves. We got kinda heated, and she stomped off to go spend the night with her mom IN THE SAME BED. The next day, she is still pretty annoyed with me and told me that I'm making a sweet thing so disgusting and weird. I don't feel that I'm wrong, I think it's creepy. She thinks it's normal. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you're a female child, sometimes you have to do the whole "skin hunger" thing for a female parent who otherwise feels sexually pressured during physical contact with their spouse. It's not weird except that it's a way to help in a sad situation. It's not sexual, people need to be able to touch one another.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JFairfax posted:

lol these cousins def gonna gently caress

it's like those stories you hear about two really close best friends and one of them having a partner who's concerned about them sleeping in the same bed and taking trips together just the two of them. like, they both might believe that they'll never gently caress but it only takes one weak-willed night and they're sure giving themselves all the opportunity in the world to have one of those

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

If you're a female child, sometimes you have to do the whole "skin hunger" thing for a female parent who otherwise feels sexually pressured during physical contact with their spouse. It's not weird except that it's a way to help in a sad situation. It's not sexual, people need to be able to touch one another.

:chanpop:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CheesyDog posted:

One of the most confusing conversations I remember from my teenage years was a friend who asked wanted everyone in our social group to identify our "hot cousins" for one another, so we could of course arrange some sort of cousin swapping dating system.

He was astonished that none of us were able to identify "hot cousins".

hey it's like the old saying goes, 'if you can't find the hot cousin at the family reunion then it's probably you'

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

13Pandora13 posted:

I am a pisces and she is a virgo if that tells you anything
This dude needs to Romeo and Juliet up in here because he sounds insufferable.

CheesyDog posted:

r/relationships
I [23M] am really into the thought of my GF [23F] dressing up for me during sex.
u/Came_Naller
Ruh-roh

Brother Entropy posted:

hey it's like the old saying goes, 'if you can't find the hot cousin at the family reunion then it's probably you'
At last count I had 27 cousins and none of them are attractive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

platonic skin-feeding is a proven way to reduce stress and likelihood that a parent -will- get involved in extramarital shenanigans

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

there's gotta be a better phrase for it than 'skin hunger' tho

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'm fortunate that all my cousins live hundreds of miles away and are nearly as unattractive as I am.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

there's gotta be a better phrase for it than 'skin hunger' tho

Thats what I call it when I down a bag of pork rinds.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Skin hunger is a real term used for it, and tbh it's also the least :eyepop: part of that post

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Thats what I call it when I down a bag of pork rinds.

or when you eat all the skin off a piece of fried chicken before going into the meat itself

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
I saw a kid call another kid a goon at a local playground today. I didn’t scream at him but calmly explained that words have meanings and he didn’t even know who JeffK was so he shouldn’t go around saying things he didn’t understand.

To my surprise, he told me I cried like Integral and said I should “Go back to Fark”, then all the children laughed and called me a stupid newbie.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xik posted:

At last count I had 27 cousins and none of them are attractive.

I have two types of cousins, "ones that look like me" and "ones that look like me and are also actual NFL linebackers"

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my wife she can't sleep in the same bed as her mom?

My wife and I just recently moved 1000 miles away from her family. A little bit of background; my wife is an only child, and her mom was a single mom to her growing up. They are extremely close, talk everyday, video chat every weekend etc. It was her moms birthday a few weeks ago and as a surprise, she flew her mom up here and had her stay with us a couple of days. We all hung out and had a wonderful time; I really get along well with my MIL and it's great. On the last night of my wife's mom being here before her flight in the morning, as we were getting ready for bed, I notice my wife gathering a bunch of blankets and pillows. I ask her what she's doing and she said "oh I'm gonna sleep with my mom tonight". I'll admit I didn't react well because that concept is so weird to me. My family and I are not close at all, my sister and mom have never slept in the same bed, and I find it weird that a woman in her 30s wants to sleep in the same bed as a woman in her 50s. It's...creepy to me.

I told her so, and said it icked me out. She got pissed and told me to stop being gross, and that I can gently caress off because she is going to hang out with her mom before she leaves. We got kinda heated, and she stomped off to go spend the night with her mom IN THE SAME BED. The next day, she is still pretty annoyed with me and told me that I'm making a sweet thing so disgusting and weird. I don't feel that I'm wrong, I think it's creepy. She thinks it's normal. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

i think ive posted something like this 15 times or so in this thread, but its really profoundly sad how men have no concept at all of non-sexual touch. and its so strongly ingrained, to the point where many people observing a man touching someone with any degree of care or intimacy or friendliness assumes its sexual

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I know this discussion has died down, but gently caress. This post makes me so annoyed. You suck so much, Pick.

Pick posted:

I would wager most school-age children don't know what that word is. I don't even know if I've heard it out loud outside a Tarantino movie.

This is like the whitest, most ignorant poo poo. If you've honestly never heard the n-word at school or at all outside of a movie, then you've probably lived the most privileged white existence imaginable. Hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of people don't live an existence as sheltered, privileged, and ignorant as yours and have heard racial slurs thrown at themselves and/or other people they know, and unfortunately, brought up in regular conversation too.

And yes, most children know what the n-word is, or they understand it has strongly negative connotations if they don't get its direct meaning. Kids aren't dumb and they pick up so much more than you think they do.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 10, 2019

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i think ive posted something like this 15 times or so in this thread, but its really profoundly sad how men have no concept at all of non-sexual touch. and its so strongly ingrained, to the point where many people observing a man touching someone with any degree of care or intimacy or friendliness assumes its sexual

counterpoint, sleep boners

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

CheesyDog posted:

r/relationships
u/Came_Naller

Jinkies!

Maybe you should get a clue and broach the subject while sharing a scooby snack with her. That way she'll be at ease and won't get the jeepers. But if she rejects the idea, then break up with her and split up the gang so you can find someone who will dress up and zoink you.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

My eyes couldn't roll back further into my head after reading this story. "It's not like we're gonna bang or anything. She just showed me her boobs and we cuddle and sleep together in the same bed all the time." Gross.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

ad090 posted:

AITA for cutting my sister out of my life for getting engaged to my worst highschool bully?

Apologise for your impulsive actions and volunteer to make a speech to illustrate how you've seen the light.

Describe in detail what the bully put you through, conclude by stating he is forever a bastard, and you won't be the slightest bit surprised when he beats the poo poo out of your dumbass sister.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DreamingofRoses posted:

:nws: But in a funny way, not an abuse way. Also, don't do drugs, kids.

TIFU by putting a 5 hour energy in my vagina

Good story but I feel like there's more of it hiding behind "I had clean pee".

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

Pick posted:

Would you say then that adult white people all thoroughly and meaningfully understand the American legacy of racism?

HOLY WOOOOOWWWWW

And this earlier: "see how that works out for you"

Children who weren't taught about whipping, WHIPPING and n-----calling by Black people -- grow up into adults who yell n-----, and don't the Black people SEE how they made this happen? Doesn't it just make you throw up your hands in despair? The dumb n----- WILL keep creating adult White racists and getting themselves killed and uff, just all KINDS of delinquency from their Plain Civic Duty.

Even in the heat of justified pain, put one step wrong, startle one tiny white angel, fail to make teachable moments out of obscene scars of dehumanization, flare out in a cris de coeur --

AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS OUT FOR YOU

In a country and at a time when children just a little older than the little girl are shot by the state

see how that works out for you

Wait and see how much worse we can make it, n----. The racism is your loving fault now.

"I went to some kind of cameo-necklace stucco-facade Carmelite loving convent and I neeeeeverrr even knew the n-word?? Like what even is that? Like... obvi I'm boasting about the rich-idiot Marian-garden counterfeit miniature painting childhood I had and 99% of YOU and certainly not the, what are they called, B-er-lack people? Like the colour? Sorry I just don't see things like that - so, anyway, I can extrapolate from my admittedly EXCEPTIONAL personal experience what the NATIONAL cultural climate is, because the Sisters-of-Clean-Antiseptic-Racism didn't teach me logic"

"...keep having feelings. For your loving spawn. Flash into anger when they are called n----, n----, n-----. AND SEE HOW THAT WORKS OUT FOR YOU"

Lesson to me, never ever returning to a thread with this poster in it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

QueenAnnesDead posted:

HOLY WOOOOOWWWWW

Lesson to me, never ever returning to a thread with this poster in it.

You have learned a valuable lesson here tonight.

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

You have learned a valuable lesson here tonight.

True. I am hoist by my own petard. Tomorrow morning I am going to find one of the little white shitheads who zoom about on motorized skateboards, scaring old ladies and dachshunds trying to poop, and just punt one across the street.

I feel that, in some occult way, that will dilute the venom Pick's gurgled out tonight.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pick posted:

Is “skin hunger” what got you into taxidermy?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Radar posted:

Is “skin hunger” what got you into taxidermy?

Pick posted:

It's not sexual

Nah not the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
AITA for telling my girlfriend I'm not attracted to her anymore?

quote:

I have been feeling pretty lovely lately and I think it's my five year relationship. I tried to be as kind as possible and voice my concerns, we spoke about how I feel and why, we both cried, it seemed great. There was one last aspect I felt a need to bring up and I felt bad for doing so, but I felt a need to be transparent. She has not changed, but I'm not that attracted to her anymore. I let her know, said sorry, she cried, said I was awful and left. I think I just hosed this all up for myself. I love this girl and I wanted to work it out, but she actually just walked out of our house crying and I feel terrible, but I thought I was letting her know my concerns gently and calmly. The conversation was going really well before this. Reddit, AITA?

Edit: Did not break up with her, although for a moment I thought she'd never come back (she's back now), this was a "let's see if we can prosper passed these issues, so we don't have to break up" conversation.