Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Fuuuuuuck... wasn’t there an EU storyline with a clone of the emperor?

Being the “Star Wars EU”, I fully expect it to have sucked Star asses so this movie can now one-up TLJ as the ultimate Star Trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Dennis System posted:

I hope they make several Rose Tico spin off movies.

Sometimes I forget this is a comedy forum

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ug2DOoxJ1g

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
lol Resistance is so bad they had to go back and make another season of Clone Wars.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

armchairyoda posted:

Being the “Star Wars EU”, I fully expect it to have sucked Star asses so this movie can now one-up TLJ as the ultimate Star Trash.

his name was sheeev, do u really have to ask?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Vim Fuego posted:

his name was sheeev, do u really have to ask?

Holy poo poo... that’s bad. Nah, my heart has already told me. :smith:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

armchairyoda posted:

In the last "Stupid SW EU" thread I think someone said that the Emperor was switching clone bodies like we would change pants.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Blistex posted:

If there is one thing that Solo has taught us, it's that throwing Sith Lords down hilariously long shafts isn't a sure-fire method to kill them.

Palpatine is Vader's father and the whole loving family just loves falling down warp core shafts all the goddamn time.
Like 4 unbroken generations of pure shaft.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
just talking about shaft

i can dig it

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

gently caress, you guys just reminded me that they're making a new Shaft movie about a third generation Shaft.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The lightsaber is a metaphor, for a man's shaft, you see. It goes up and down and sometimes makes a fun y noise.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chomp8645 posted:

Didn't Palpatine like literally explode too?

lol

yeah. I think he is gonna be a ghost or something visiting kylo or some poo poo. i don't even hate this poo poo that much since the old canon did before and it was dumb and amusing then. i mean in the old canon he died when he was shot in the gut by han solo and his soul was absorbed by a dying amputee.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He'll be a force ghost tied to the Death Star core where he kerploded.

Or just a dumb holocron and Rey learns she's his daughter or something

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Pal Patine.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

armchairyoda posted:

That would be Dark Empire. There is a scene in the beginning of Luke killing an AT-AT with a lightsaber that TLJ kind of cribs from visually. The Emperors goal I believe was the take over the body of the unborn Anakin Solo because the clones degraded too quickly

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Star Wars reimagined as a high school comedy with Principal Patine. The rebels are the students and the empire are the school staff.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

never forget the prequels

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
Not trying to be an edge lord here but I genuinely couldn't give a poo poo about this film, the last two I watched in the cinema and I definitely wasn't on board with all the retarded misogynistic poo poo over the last one, the last one just sucked major balls and killed it for me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I think solo was a fun romp but that robot character was a hosed up caricature of progressive movements.

Disney Wars not very good.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hell Yeah posted:

I was thinking about the fact that there were less years between the last of the OT movies and Attack of the Clones than there was between than that and this new garbage earlier when reading this thread.
I think it's because the OT movies are basically older than I am that the time frame seems so warped, but that seems hosed up to me

e: I guess I was off by a couple years, but not much. Oh well whatever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Solo was the least fun I've ever had watching Star Wars tbh. The only guy who looks like he's having the slightest amount of fun is Glover.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

He'll be a force ghost tied to the Death Star core where he kerploded.

Lol JJs Star Wars map was snoke was an extra crispy emperor projecting himself as a giant in TFA and Rian changed it by making him some random guy and then killed him

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Hell Yeah posted:

The prequels are far more.memoriablr than the Disney movies, and indeed are better movies. Just watch them in a foreign language without subtitles and they are actually pretty decent

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
rian johnson should make an ep 4 that undoes everything from ep 3 that jj undoes from ep 2. i would legitimately love the new series if that were to happen.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Zane posted:

rian johnson should make an ep 4 that undoes everything from ep 3 that jj undoes from ep 2. then i would legitimately love this series.

That is indeed the plan.

See, in the corporate world, if you are brought on board to finish someone else's project with the promise that you get your own project after this, if the new project is already clinched, you actually don't want to do too well on the other guy's project since you won't get all the credit. Far better to just torpedo it so you can move on to the thing you get complete control and credit for.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hairy Busey posted:

The prequels are far more.memoriablr than the Disney movies, and indeed are better movies. Just watch them in a foreign language without subtitles and they are actually pretty decent

That was my experience with the prequels, at least the first two, and yeah they are so much better without the English audio. You lose the racist as gently caress accents, poo poo doesn't sound as dumb and the story just looks like underpolished space opera with impressive (for its time) effects.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Ewven now, the cgi hasnt aged great, but at least the design is cool and doing all sorts of new things

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Donovan Trip posted:

Lol JJs Star Wars map was snoke was an extra crispy emperor projecting himself as a giant in TFA and Rian changed it by making him some random guy and then killed him

Did they have to resurrect Palpatine because Rian derailed the JJ story?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blistex posted:

Jesus. Now it's gonna be EU style "Snoke was a Palpaclone" poo poo to explain his marfans-rear end body

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FilthyImp posted:

Jesus. Now it's gonna be EU style "Snoke was a Palpaclone" poo poo to explain his marfans-rear end body

Did Sheev leave it in the oven too long?

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

I'm almost positive this is what happened. Otherwise with would have telegraphed something about palps in the force wakes up

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

skasion posted:

Solo was the least fun I've ever had watching Star Wars tbh. The only guy who looks like he's having the slightest amount of fun is Glover.

i turned it off with the intent to finish it later but i never did, it was just so boring and schmucky

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Was there seriously no one at Disney raising concerns about Last Jedi when it became apparent early in development what a massive dump Rian was planning to take on their trilogy plans? No grizzled executive saying "We're just now breaking even, how are we going to make a sequel to this hogwash let alone a dozen spinoffs if everyone is dead!?"

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
lol i bet they knew it would make a billion dollars no matter what because "star wars" is in the title

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nill posted:

Was there seriously no one at Disney raising concerns about Last Jedi when it became apparent early in development what a massive dump Rian was planning to take on their trilogy plans? No grizzled executive saying "We're just now breaking even, how are we going to make a sequel to this hogwash let alone a dozen spinoffs if everyone is dead!?"

I'm picturing a room for of executives who were agreeing with. . .

jimmyjams posted:

lol i bet they knew it would make a billion dollars no matter what because "star wars" is in the title

. . . but didn't expect the backlash to be so significant that their spin-off tanked, they would have to cancel others, and sales of merch dropped off the chart.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Nill posted:

That's their secret: they didn't have any plans

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Disney isn't brave enough to commit to the potential of TLJs ideas so now they're retroactively going to make it a worse film by pretending it didn't happen, giving the crowd what they want and putting Star Wars on a shelf for a few years. It be like that sometimes.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I know what you mean but I'm surprised the simple math of more movies = more money didn't temper their decision to let a rogue director toss everything into a woodchipper.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Kathleen Kennedy is President of lucasfilm and was agreed upon by both Lucas and Disney. She was the one pushing for TLJ because it was different and had ideas, she even greenlit a Rian trilogy that has since been shut down. She's been the advocate for anything different in these movies and now Disney seems to be feeling they should have reigned her in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Where's dash rendar