Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KillerJunglist posted:

The little dog walks in, wearing a little jedi robe and a tiny light saber. The council smiles and claps.

Mace Windu: "Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaa! All right, yeah!"

This is already better than any scene in Attack of the Clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Something about modern cgi spectacle movies has always felt cheap and lifeless. I feel so detached and like I'm just watching shapes an lights wooshing around. The more grand and complex the spectacle gets, the less I feel myself caring.

I can watch older movies like Alien or Terminator or the original trilogy or The Matrix and it's all really drat good and I feel engaged. Fury Road also had that kind of feeling.

Cgi loving blows and excessive use really shits up movies in my opinion. It seems like CGI spectacle is all Disney ever does anymore.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

This is already better than any scene in Attack of the Clones

Did you forget the part where padme shows her bellybutton!?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
attack of the clones is still the worst movie in this series and i can’t think of a single enjoyable moment in it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WatermelonGun posted:

attack of the clones is still the worst movie in this series and i can’t think of a single enjoyable moment in it

When that dude who runs Mel's Diner scratches his rear end with a 3rd hand.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WatermelonGun posted:

I like the guy who is plugging away running his 50's diner in space and takes breaks from flipping burgers to pass top-secret information to jedis.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
yeah actually the diner scene might be the highlight of the movie for me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow we all had the same thought within like 20 seconds.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i want to eat the space flapjacks made on a cyber-griddle by Dexter Jettster

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the gladiator part could have had some cool aliens but we got:
-cat
-rhino
-stick bug(this one’s okay)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Did you forget the part where padme shows her bellybutton!?

how could we

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WatermelonGun posted:

the gladiator part could have had some cool aliens but we got:
-cat
-rhino
-stick bug(this one’s okay)

What do you think is more likely with that arena sequence

- The jedi and the clones traveled separately, and just coincidentally the jedi all got to the arena like four minutes faster.

- They got there at the same time but the clone commander was a dickhead who intentionally let some jedi get shot before finally bailing them out.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I like when Padme falls out of the flying craft while going super fast and then just hops up and says let's go.

Natalie Portman was so terrible in that role. AoTC actually makes me feel ill. I don't know if it is the gratuitous CGI or what, but what an ugly movie. Yoda dancing around was dumb as gently caress and I cringed when so many people thought it was badass.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Natalie Portman is pretty tho

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

What do you think is more likely with that arena sequence

- The jedi and the clones traveled separately, and just coincidentally the jedi all got to the arena like four minutes faster.

- They got there at the same time but the clone commander was a dickhead who intentionally let some jedi get shot before finally bailing them out.

it’s definitely the former dumbass coincidences drive the plot in star wars movies way more than any character action.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

I like when Padme falls out of the flying craft while going super fast and then just hops up and says let's go.

Natalie Portman was so terrible in that role. AoTC actually makes me feel ill. I don't know if it is the gratuitous CGI or what, but what an ugly movie. Yoda dancing around was dumb as gently caress and I cringed when so many people thought it was badass.

I still can't believe she died because she got sad.

Like, it makes way more sense that her death was directly caused by Anakin. Change it to: She was injured by Anakin on Mustafar. Obi-wan got her to a medical ship just in the nick of time to deliver the twins before she died.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wait what I thought the reason she died was cause of when he choked her with the force

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I'm trying to think of a single sequence I enjoyed in the prequels. I'm coming up empty.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Darth maul anything was great tbh

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

I'm trying to think of a single sequence I enjoyed in the prequels. I'm coming up empty.

We just went over this it’s the diner sequence.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I just googled Dex’s Diner and the official star wars website says it’s located on the streets of Coco Town.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

We just went over this it’s the diner sequence.
It wasn't really good. Why would some planet far away have a diner with a 50s aesthetic?

Maul was solid. Qui Gonn talking into a lady razor was not.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Because George Lucas made american graffiti and is insane.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Saunters into Coco Town and takes a seat at Dex's Diner*

"I'll like a Krabby Patty, please".

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Natalie Portman is cute as a bug and the Yoda sword fight was cool as h*ck guys

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I thought some of the droid designs were really cool in that movie. Other than that it was trash though

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

Wait what I thought the reason she died was cause of when he choked her with the force

The medical droid straight up says there’s nothing wrong with her.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Skeleton King posted:

I thought some of the droid designs were really cool in that movie. Other than that it was trash though

I like the big blue battle droid that just shoves the regular droid out of the way so he can better shot.

"Eyy, I'm SHOOTIN here!"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

Something about modern cgi spectacle movies has always felt cheap and lifeless. I feel so detached and like I'm just watching shapes an lights wooshing around. The more grand and complex the spectacle gets, the less I feel myself caring.

I can watch older movies like Alien or Terminator or the original trilogy or The Matrix and it's all really drat good and I feel engaged. Fury Road also had that kind of feeling.

Cgi loving blows and excessive use really shits up movies in my opinion. It seems like CGI spectacle is all Disney ever does anymore.

especially in a era where video games are so prevalent

that poo poo just stands out and never looks good. so many people have an eye for it because they're so familiar with it. just feels like a fancy cinematic trailer

make some dang ol practical effects with your 100s of millions of dollars and armies of workers, ya nincompoops!

my only reservation is that maybe lucas really was trying to do something revolutionary in terms of film making and it just ended up not working. i mean, that's what he was doing and it was supposed to usher in a great new era, and it did usher in a new era, its just an era of poo poo

one of my favorite rlm critiques (i know, rlm, but still) was taking a second look at the "heroes on both sides" line. an excellent insight into how little the film makers understood the material of own creation

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chomp8645 posted:

"Eyy, I'm SHOOTIN here!"

Roger Roger.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anakin is sucking the life out of her from a distance in order to keep himself alive. He doesn’t realize he’s doing it, but he is. The editing in the scene directly suggests this. Her heartbeat ceases right at the moment that Vader begins to breathe. “It seems, in your anger, you killed her” — Palpatine, who couldn’t possibly know that she was dying unless he can sense in the Force what is going on. He didn’t arrive on Mustafar until after Padmé and Obi-wan left and knew nothing of Anakin choking her. “I couldn’t have!” Vader responds. “She was alive — I felt it!” He was connected to her in the Force and then she died and he was resurrected.

The “broken heart” thing is a meme. Padmé was unwittingly killed by her husband’s anger.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Jose Oquendo posted:

As fragile as a horse. Thought of a bee and died

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

skasion posted:

Anakin is sucking the life out of her from a distance in order to keep himself alive. He doesn’t realize he’s doing it, but he is. The editing in the scene directly suggests this. Her heartbeat ceases right at the moment that Vader begins to breathe. “It seems, in your anger, you killed her” — Palpatine, who couldn’t possibly know that she was dying unless he can sense in the Force what is going on. He didn’t arrive on Mustafar until after Padmé and Obi-wan left and knew nothing of Anakin choking her. “I couldn’t have!” Vader responds. “She was alive — I felt it!” He was connected to her in the Force and then she died and he was resurrected.

The “broken heart” thing is a meme. Padmé was unwittingly killed by her husband’s anger.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I dzzzon't know noth-ing♪ 'bout birthzzzing ba-bie-z-z-z-z.♪ [clacking of metal claws]

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

I dzzzon't know noth-ing♪ 'bout birthzzzing ba-bie-z-z-z-z.♪ [clacking of metal claws]

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

this strikes me as some serious post-facto reasoning

like, i don't doubt that its all "in the film," but if that was the intention then it was so incompetently conveyed so as not to be the interpretation of events by the vast majority of the audience. therefore, i think its hard to say "that's what happened" cuz no one thought that's what was happening

mysterious jedi power that is never discussed, or explained, or has ever come up before or since doesn't get to suddenly be solution to bad film making.

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 18, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
quintessential nerd sperging (sorry for the discriminatory language). it doesn't matter if you theorycraft the pseudo-physical mechanics behind it. none of it works dramatically on the screen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

this is bad faith argumentation basically. People got buttmad about Phantom Menace being not as good as their own idea of Star Wars and began to say things like “Lucas is an idiot/incompetent” and “Lucas’ movies were only good because of [other person conveniently not working on these movies]” and then started out looking at the other prequels in a way that would support these prejudices, instead of paying attention to what is shown on screen and trying to understand it.

Like, Padme’s death is LITERALLY explained in the dialogue. Palpatine tells Vader that he, Vader, killed her. She didn’t die of a “broken heart” (this phrase never appears in the movie; it’s just a joke based on Portman’s terrible delivery of the line “Anakin, you’re breaking my heart!!!!” earlier when he breaks her heart, a while before he kills her, which he does).

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 18, 2019

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

It's over Maul, I have the low ground!

If you think about it, having no legs is really the lowest possible ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Einstein posted:

AoTC actually makes me feel ill. I don't know if it is the gratuitous CGI or what, but what an ugly movie. Yoda dancing around was dumb as gently caress and I cringed when so many people thought it was badass.

It was very surprising, which I sort of appreciated, but in retrospect yes it was v. dumb