Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
with the imminent discontinuation of the 3ds family of products, it's now safe to finally say it: kid icarus uprising is still and will now always be the best game on the 3ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Kid Icarus could've been a visual novel and it still would've won that prize on writing alone.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

with the imminent discontinuation of the 3ds family of products, it's now safe to finally say it: kid icarus uprising is still and will now always be the best game on the 3ds
not just on the 3ds

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gripweed posted:

what are the "must-have" 3DS games?
The 3ds has some things that only the 3DS is good at:

Quick pick up and play - I still bring it on trips over the switch for this sometimes
Rhythm Heaven
Warioware
Final Fantasy Theatrythm

Involved JRPGs that feel like a SNES game - Nobody really makes these for console anymore
Bravely Default
SMT 4 + Apocalypse
Fire Emblem Awakening
Pokemon

As for games that are just good games regardless of system:

Zelda Link Between Worlds
Mario 3D Land - Not the best mario game, but pretty good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Kid Icarus could've been a visual novel and it still would've won that prize on writing alone.

:agreed:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

That sounds pretty rough for lefties; is there a left-handed control scheme?

I'm left handed and essentially we can get hosed lol!!

Well not fully. You can customize the controls. I changed it so the crosshair would be moved around using XABY buttons as directions. It's not as accurate or good as a touchscreen but I beat the game with it just fine and still really enjoyed it. You may struggle if you want to do all challenges and beat every level on the highest difficulty but if you don't then a lefty can beat the game easily enough at decent levels of intensity.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

3DS also has:

Ace Attorney series
Professor Layton series
Virtue's Last Reward/Zero Time Dilemma

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You should also all go buy LBX because it's fun robot-battling action and as close to a Custom Robo game as you can get :colbert:.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Has anyone tried the Circle Pad Pro support for Kid Icarus? I got one for that game and Monster Hunter Generations because I'm left handed and had trouble with both Kid Icarus and the MonHun demo. Haven't had a chance to go back and try it myself. Right now I'm creeping through Layton X Ace Attorney anyways, I like it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Has anyone tried the Circle Pad Pro support for Kid Icarus? I got one for that game and Monster Hunter Generations because I'm left handed and had trouble with both Kid Icarus and the MonHun demo. Haven't had a chance to go back and try it myself. Right now I'm creeping through Layton X Ace Attorney anyways, I like it.
It works with the CPP and the New 3DS stick yeah, it just duplicates the left stick.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

I'm left handed (well, I learned to be ambidextrous in everything but handwriting after a horrible childhood accident). The Circle Pad Pro Support in Kid Icarus is alright.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

homeless snail posted:

It works with the CPP and the New 3DS stick yeah, it just duplicates the left stick.

Crap sounds like I might not be able to force it to keep character movement on the left and aiming on the right. Oh well. I kinda was able to cope a little with movement on right and stylus in my left hand for Metroid Prime: Hunters but maan did it feel awkward and wrong.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah you can't turn it into a dual stick shooter. If you do try to play it anyway, my tip is don't treat the touch screen like a virtual analog stick like in Hunters. Its more like a trackball, the cursor has some weight and inertia to it and if you give the screen a good flick it'll continue to roll across the screen until you hit the screen again to "catch" it. More comfortable and imo easier to aim if you're primarily flicking and catching rather than meticulously dragging the cursor onto targets.

There's a shooting range where you can mess around with the sensitivity and inertia settings to find what works best for you, it'll almost definitely need some tweaking.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I get the feeling that I'm never gonna be able to complete these Streetpass games

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gripweed posted:

I get the feeling that I'm never gonna be able to complete these Streetpass games

You can set up a router to simulate a hub, which everyone else does so you instantly get like ten a day

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You can set up a router to simulate a hub, which everyone else does so you instantly get like ten a day

I thought this died when spotpass did since the way it worked was by replicating a spotpass relay point.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
OMG goons. I've spent so much time trying bomb and dash boot tricks to get through the fire temple. When all I had to do was freeze the middle part of the teeter-trotters.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What's happening with the 2DS/3DS now? My OG 3DS XL is starting to get finicky, so I was looking to maybe get a New 2DS or 3DS, and trying to find one here in Canada is surprisingly tricky. They're out there, but I was assuming you could buy one anywhere and everywhere. Most places seem to be out of stock, very limited quantities, or just selling refurb units. Even Nintendos own online store has more refurbs than new units available. Is Nintendo ramping down production in favor of some unannounced new handheld, or trying to make the Switch their only console since it can perform as a handheld?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What's happening with the 2DS/3DS now? My OG 3DS XL is starting to get finicky, so I was looking to maybe get a New 2DS or 3DS, and trying to find one here in Canada is surprisingly tricky. They're out there, but I was assuming you could buy one anywhere and everywhere. Most places seem to be out of stock, very limited quantities, or just selling refurb units. Even Nintendos own online store has more refurbs than new units available. Is Nintendo ramping down production in favor of some unannounced new handheld, or trying to make the Switch their only console since it can perform as a handheld?

Nintendo's announced the 3DS is retired already and they have ramped down production years ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

endlessmonotony posted:

Nintendo's announced the 3DS is retired already and they have ramped down production years ago.

They've also been quite open about the Switch being the platform for both home and handheld going forward ever since it launched. Especially after they merged both hardware divisions into one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It’s rumored that Nintendo is releasing a cheaper Switch that may be a 3DS replacement. I’d grab a refurb now from Nintendo.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s rumored that Nintendo is releasing a cheaper Switch that may be a 3DS replacement. I’d grab a refurb now from Nintendo.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I never upgraded my original DS from the fat version, and I have not upgraded from my original cosmo black 3DS, but I am tempted to pick up a (refurbished) new 2dsxl or 3dsxl. I never really cared to upgrade any of the Nintendo handhelds in the past because the next generation would have backwards compatibility, but this is the end of the line for this hardware and I am sad to see it go.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

SeANMcBAY posted:

My local area still has quite a few New 3DS XL and far more New 2DS XL in stock, and the 2DS XL's are often discounted, so that's what I'd do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Though that should be taken with as much a mountain of salt as any unconfirmed rumour about Nintendo.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though that should be taken with as much a mountain of salt as any unconfirmed rumour about Nintendo.

Of course, but it’s from some pretty reputable sources and it just makes too much sense.

I loved the DS and 3DS game libraries but I’m not too sad about them ending. I always found the systems to be unergonomic to play for long periods.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What's happening with the 2DS/3DS now?
If you mean the New 3DS non-XL model that was discontinued in North America in 2016.

I don't think the New 3DS XL has officially been discontinued but I imagine Nintendo has been selling existing stock of it since 2017 aside from a few special edition (limited quantities).

The New 2DS XL has been Nintendo's primary "3DS" model during it's sunset.

There's no officially announced replacement, but it's clear that the Switch platform is the future of Nintendo handhelds. The (frankly, unsurprisingly) rumor is that a cost-reduced Switch model will be released to fill the gap in the market for a ~$150 USD handheld with the 3DS platform going away, but nobody knows exactly what form that will take or exactly when it's coming. This fall is a very likely bet though.

Also Nintendo's refurbs are great so don't hesitate to get one if they have a model you like.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What's the alternative though?

Nintend's own development studios have been working on the Switch platform exclusively for years and there's no 3DS releases slated after Persona Q2.

That means Nintendo is either going to announce a new handheld compatible with Switch software or they're going to abandon the lucrative sub-$200 handheld market that they've dominated for 30 years now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Nintend's own development studios have been working on the Switch platform exclusively for years and there's no 3DS releases slated after Persona Q2.

That means Nintendo is either going to announce a new handheld compatible with Switch software or they're going to abandon the lucrative sub-$200 handheld market that they've dominated for 30 years now.

The alternative is just having the switch

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's nothing competing with the Switch in the handheld space, and they have a platform that works for both home and on the go for the full library of Nintendo Switch software. It's cheaper to develop for one platform than two, runs drat-near anything in the indie market on a sanely-built nVidia chipset, and you can sit multiple people down to play with the thing even when it's out of the dock.

It's also sold obscenely well, so I don't think Nintendo are too worried about it not being a lucrative market.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Andrast posted:

After the success of the 2DS a cheaper entry point model for kids seems like a likely move

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Andrast posted:

No, it's not. The Switch is $300 and not kid friendly in the way that it's fairly large and destructible. Parents may (and have!) buy a Switch as a household console but won't necessarily buy more than one or let their kids take them out of the house.

There is absolutely a market for a sub-$200 handheld that the 3DS used to target and the Switch doesn't. If Nintendo can sell something at that price point that's compatible with most of the Switch software library they absolutely will.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3DS thread

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It almost makes sense to have a bigger, more rugged system iteration

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But does the switch have IPS screens?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Waltzing Along posted:

But does the switch have IPS screens?

Yes. No. Maybe.

Depends which box of screens they opened at the factory that day.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My switch screen is an OLED. :colbert:

cuz I play it the correct way, on my big screen tv

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I'm prob gonna buy a new 3DS right before they disappear and just keep it as a spare against a future need to play old gens of Pokémon

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I'm prob gonna buy a new 3DS right before they disappear and just keep it as a spare against a future need to play old gens of Pokémon

Well for a New 3DS, that is between "right now" and "already too late". For a New 2DS, it's soon.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got a refurbished 2DSXL from GameStop that's in basically perfect condition. They'll be around for a bit if you're willing to buy used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The 2DS line are made out of good old-fashioned nintendium, 3DSes are more prone to breaking between the extra weight and condensed internals cramping other fiddly bits

but yeah nobody’s going to be getting new stock so if you want it new new and not “questionably refurbished”, act fast