Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for reporting a classmate who was trying to help me, but made me extremely uncomfortable?

This one is tricky because obviously from the title you’re ready to deus vult but then it turns out it’s a girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My(23M) GF(24F) doesn’t feel confortable with my friend(23F) and wants me to cut off contact with her. I don’t think this is fair.

quote:

Sorry for the format guys, I’m on the phone!

I’ll be Me Gf will be G Friend will be F

I’ve been dating my gf for two years now and she’s great. She’s super smart, we share a lot of interests and until now I never took her for the jealous type.

I grew up with F, we live in the same street and our mothers are friends. Besides that, after my grandma came to live with us(my grandpa died), they became really close. They’re very much alike and the whole family thinks she’s great. Honestly, she’s considered part of the family. My brothers/cousins/parents all buy her christmas/birthday presents, she spends a lot of holidays on my parents house and she helps them if they need anything since I now live out of the state.

I took my gf to my state to visit my parents and I was very excited. The introductions seemed to go okay, my gf got along with my dad and was already sharing recipes with granny. Later that night we went out to hang out with some friends, F and some of my brothers. They seemed to like each other and my gf laughed a lot(F is hilarious).

On the next couple of days F came to my house a lot of times, which is very normal to us. She has dinner at least once a week there and she and my grandma take salsa dancing classes together(I find it kinda cute). My brothers treat her like a little sister and my grandma called her a ‘time lost twin’

After about 3 days my gf pulled me aside and said she felt very unconfortable with F relationship with my family. She said that it looked like we were married by the way she was treated. I tried telling her that everyone likes her(F) like a cousin or something but she wasn’t buying. She kept telling me that it wasn’t appropriate for a strange women to be so close to a family and that everyone looks like they’d rather see me dating her. She asked me to distance myself and talk with F about the whole family involvement thing.

I find this very weird... F is like a sister to me and the rest of my family. She literally talked me out of suicide once, she’s not doing anything wrong. She’s not romantically interested on me and she’s great with my grandma/little brother.

I can’t cut her out bc I honestly don’t think she’s doing anything wrong and so doesn’t deserve this treatment, it’s not really just me as she has close ties with my family. Thruth be told, if I did that my brothers/parents/grandparents wouldn’t forgive me and considering they are adults I don’t believe I could prevent them from having contact.

Overall, I feel like everyone would be punished and it’s not really fair.

To make things worse, we had this discussion close to the bathroom my brother was in and he heard everything. My grandma still hasn’t called me over(which she will) but everyone has been colder to her and it shows.

I don’t know how to navigate this situation. How can I put my gf on ease about F and how I can smooth things over with the rest of my family?

TL;DR: my gf doesn’t feel confortable with the close ties my friend has with my family and wants me to cut her off. I feel this is unfair since she did nothing wrong and she’s like a sister to the family

Edit: corrected some grammatical mistakes and tried to make things more clear. Sorry guys, not a native speaker

(Update)My(23M) GF(24F) doesn’t feel confortable with my friend(23F) and wants me to cut off contact with her. I don’t think this is fair

quote:

Hey everyone, I know I said I’d update but I wasn’t in the right place to write about it.

I guess to the surprise of nobody(except for myself), G and I broke up.

After posting I talked with my family and explained the situation, that I didn’t communicate well and whatnot. They were actually very understanding but the mood was still kinda awkward and unconfortable. Besides that, my youngest brother wasn’t on his best behaviour and he can hold a grudge. He’s 13 tho so I tried to cut off some slack(and knowing that F has been helping him with some girl problem I guess he was scared of losing a big sister figure), he was kinda short and sassy but nothing too bad.

We ended up leaving earlier bc I knew she was not feeling very well and I didn’t want her to feel pressured or something. We talked during the ride and I apologized for not being very clear and made sure to say I don’t have, never had any kind of romantic/sexual feeling for F, and neither does she. And that my family doesn’t want us to end up together.

I think she felt kinda conflicted and asked for a few days by herself.

We met up and she broke up with me, said that even tho, rationally she knows I would never cheat and that she believes me, she can’t feel confortable in a relationship like this.

In terms if break ups it was pretty ok, we both cried, then we talked and laughed but I think it was for the best, remaining in the relationship would only hurt us both.

Overall, she was my first serious gf, a great person and I’m glad we had this. I’m sure she’ll find someone amazing.

I’m taking some time off dating but I’m fine, I guess.

Ironically tho, F got a bf! I met him and they are perfect for each other, I happy for her. I told her why G and I broke up, she felt kinda guilty but I told her it was no one fault and advised her to explain clearly to her bf

TL;DR: I broke up with my GF, F got a bf, I’m taking some time off dating

Edit: Holy crap. Ok, the responses here have blown up and they pissed me off enough to edit and clarify some things.

Before you comment, please read the OP, the link is on top. A lot of people came here assuming things that were said on the last post so yeah.

F is part of the family. I don’t care if she’s not approved by the goverment, not blood related, “just a neighbour”. We grew up together and my family treats her like another kid. We cried when she got into her dream college, my parents scolded hef when she did something wrong, took her side if they thought she was right(and the opposite too).

I do have fault in this situation bc I didn’t communicate properly with G and gave her the wrong impression of what me and F had, I admit this, I talked to her and apologized.

I have no romantic feelings for F, nor does my family wants to us to end up together. Yes, it is possible for a woman and a men be platonic friends, and that’s what we are.

I didn’t discuss with my family when G was there, not really sure why people thought I did. She was out and I explained to everyone why she felt unconfortable and made it clear it was a communication issue.

Everyone there saying my family shouldn’t be involved in our relationship: this wasn’t just about us. This was about a family friend. I don’t agree with what my brother did and talked with him but they do have the right to be aware if someone wants their son/brother to cut off contact with someone who is always at the house.

I’m not angry at G and she’s not angry at me. We have different deal breakers and that’s ok. I can respect this and she can respect my family dynamic.

Stop trying to turn F involvement with my family into a bad thing, it is not. When someone posts about homophobic parents, people are quick to say “choose your own family!” And similar things. Why is it wrong for F to be close to my family like this? Do we really live in a society so closed off by ‘blood ties’ that we can’t make our own family of choice unless we don’t have any other option?

I feel sorry for you guys. This mentality of “once I get a SO I don’t need anyone else” is toxic and immature.

For everyone saying they’re glad G broke up with me, I’m glad too. She would never be happy in this family dynamic and I would never be happy if I had to cut F off. We had different values and that’s ok.

So yeah, just bc this would be a deal breaker for you, doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Get off your high horse, just bc you’re unconfortable with something doesn’t mean it’s inherently wrong.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Pirate Radar posted:

This one is tricky because obviously from the title you’re ready to deus vult but then it turns out it’s a girl?

Girls can be creepy too. I know this is news for a lot of folks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Clawtopsy posted:

Seriously. If you are planning on giving your child a device, plan when you are going to give it to them, and plan a 'savings' fund that they are a part of that will come to fruition when you were planning to give it to them anyway.

Or just make sure your kid treats fancy tech with a level of respect and care. I treated my Game Boy like it was a present from the Queen. That said, those things are pretty durable, battery covers aside.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If it was just the posts I'd suspect it was a troll, but there are so many defensive comments on all three posts (horse post is three months before concert post) that I think it's real.

Wait “tits on a platter” lady is the same woman who is too fat to pack her own bags?

Lolololol what a miserable sack of poo poo.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gluten Freeman posted:

My(23M) GF(24F) doesn’t feel confortable with my friend(23F) and wants me to cut off contact with her. I don’t think this is fair.

(Update)My(23M) GF(24F) doesn’t feel confortable with my friend(23F) and wants me to cut off contact with her. I don’t think this is fair

Lmao at the fact that Reddit apparently cannot comprehend a man and a woman being close friends without wanting to bang

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
family friend?!?! thats some hosed up poo poo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Extreme LoL at Phone-Dad’s wife’s friends saying that giving your daughter a lovely phone is too harsh. loving Millenials (I’m 31, we’re the 2nd worst generation) acting like a cell phone is a right, it’s disgusting.

My therapist has two kids and he got them special apple watches that can only call and text he and his wife’s phones and like 10-15 numbers they have to approve, it was like $250. That seems reasonable to me, but if my daughter ever turned to me and said “why don’t you get a better job so I can have a nicer phone” ha ha ha that’s a good one sweetie now go lie down in the sleeping bag in the garage and when you’re ready appreciate everything we’ve done for you you can come back inside.

Stand up to your kids folks. It’s ok to be mean to spoiled brats, they’ll need it to not grow up to be huge pieces of garbage.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wearing a black dress to a wedding?

I am a 21F college student currently living on student loans. I come from a poor family and had never been to a traditional wedding before. My boyfriend, same age as me, also a student, comes from an upper middle class family that is very "all-american". They do things like...get along...and go on trips together, and water-ski. Stuff that seemed fictional to me before. We have been together for about a year and a half. His parents have always been kind to me.

His cousin was getting married this weekend and I was his +1. The wedding was a few hours out of town and so we got a ride with his parents. I own two dresses - a cheap cotton one and a nicer black cocktail dress I got from an outlet store. I can't afford to spend money on new clothes. I pulled the dresses out while we were driving and asked my boyfriend's mom which one I should wear. After a minute of looking at them, she said I should wear the black dress. I got changed during a pit stop and no one commented on my dress for the rest of the day. We had a great time at the wedding.

My boyfriend lives with his parents. Today I went over to hang out and his mom wouldn't look me in the eye when I said hello. I asked my boyfriend if she was okay once we were alone. He rolled his eyes and said she was being silly about the dress I wore to the wedding. Apparently people aren't supposed to wear black to weddings, because it's a color for funerals. His grandmother told his mom afterwards that my dress was embarrassing and inappropriate. His mom passed this message on to him and said I should have planned my outfit better.

My boyfriend thought this was pretty funny but I felt really humiliated and foolish. I didn't even think to run my outfit by anyone. I knew you shouldn't wear white to a wedding but I had never heard of not wearing black. He was laughing about it and obviously thought his mom was being unreasonable, so I tried to just let it roll off my back. However, later we went up to the kitchen and his mom was there. She asked if my boyfriend had spoken to me in a very cold tone. I immediately felt awful and started to apologize. My boyfriend was totally silent and looked uncomfortable. His mom said to be more careful in the future and that I should also apologize to his grandmother and his cousin. She asked my boyfriend to give me their phone numbers.

We went back to his room and he tried to comfort me but also asked if I wanted the numbers so I could get it over with. I felt like the world's biggest and smallest rear end in a top hat simultaneously. I took the numbers and left before I could start crying.

I don't know what to do. I barely know his grandmother or cousin. Calling them seems insane, but I also don't want to be on his family's bad side because they're so important to him. And I could have taken two seconds to google "wedding dress code" or something, but I didn't. I just grabbed the same old dresses I always wear.

What do I do? AITA here? How do I make this better?

This is like 40 pages back, but after my roommate asked which dress she should wear to a wedding, 2 of which were black, and I told her that old-timey rules day you should never wear black to a wedding, I googled it. The consensus among fashion magazines is that wearing black to a wedding is now just fine and anyone being offended by a black dress at a wedding is a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

She should break up with him for not explaining that not only did he pick the black dress when presented with options and that she's not made of money to buy another dress, but that his family members are being great big assholes. She should just link him to all the articles I found during the break up. Also, mama's boys suck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

This guy learned a valuable lesson.

Never go to reddit for actual advice on anything.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for telling my nephew where chicken nuggets come from
Not the A-hole
You know those videos where kids realize where foods come from? My nephew is one of those kids who couldn’t handle it. From the time he was 5 to now (8 years old) he’s refused to eat animals--or so he thinks.

My sister has been telling him that all the foods she makes for him (chicken nuggets, fish sticks, breaded meats that don’t really LOOK like an animal) are made of plants. Except I didn’t know that!

So last week, he was over my house playing with some nuggets that were stamped out to be shaped like dinosaurs. He said “Rawr!” and I said “Don’t you mean cluck-cluck? It’s from a chicken!” And he said “No there’s two kinds of chicken, one we eat and one that clucks.” And I started setting him straight, but when he understood what I was saying he really started crying and freaking out.

I called my sister and she exploded on me for bringing this whole house of cards down. I told her well why don’t you buy some beans/peas/nuts instead of lying, but of course criticizing a parent is a war crime! AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

An 8 year old who thinks chicken nuggets are plant material is worrying in and of itself.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
don't they sell plant-based quorn nuggets

why didnt she buy those instead of cheaping out

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Barudak posted:

An 8 year old who thinks chicken nuggets are plant material is worrying in and of itself.

Imagine him asking where the chicken nuggets are at a vegan joint

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for saying my best friends mom is hot?
Ok, so yesterday I was up at the gas station picking up a drink and getting my friend a couple of things for when she gets off work to surprise her. When we were leaving I see her mom so I walk over and start talking to her. While we're talking she asks me if I can help her do something later and I agree so she gives me her number to text me about it. So I get home and I text her, "hey, I got this hotties number at the gas station today." So she asks who and I say her mom did for getting stuff. She BLOWS up, tells me to gently caress off and blocks me. Now I've known this girl for years and I'm moving in with her but she went off the handle over this. AITA for making the joke?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Phones are poison, send your daughter to work on a ranch in Montana for 6 months instead.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Clawtopsy posted:

Seriously. If you are planning on giving your child a device, plan when you are going to give it to them, and plan a 'savings' fund that they are a part of that will come to fruition when you were planning to give it to them anyway.

I was on a tour bus returning from Turkey going into Greece once, and the whole thing got held up at the Greek side of the border for a few hours, involving bag checks, some strip searches of adult men, and being devoured by mosquitos as we had to wait outside for much of the time...
Because a Russian tourist lady's 12 year old daughter lost her phone at a rest stop and instead of assuming a kid lost a phone, mom stormed off at the start of the border check to tell the Greek guards that someone on the bus must have stolen the phone.

Shockingly the phone wasn't found on anyone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Power Khan posted:

AITA for saying my best friends mom is hot?
Ok, so yesterday I was up at the gas station picking up a drink and getting my friend a couple of things for when she gets off work to surprise her. When we were leaving I see her mom so I walk over and start talking to her. While we're talking she asks me if I can help her do something later and I agree so she gives me her number to text me about it. So I get home and I text her, "hey, I got this hotties number at the gas station today." So she asks who and I say her mom did for getting stuff. She BLOWS up, tells me to gently caress off and blocks me. Now I've known this girl for years and I'm moving in with her but she went off the handle over this. AITA for making the joke?

Lol this sure is funny but it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for reporting a classmate who was trying to help me, but made me extremely uncomfortable?

Her heart is not in the right place and she's a manipulative piece of poo poo.

quote:

Ann continued, “you are the bird that could soar to the highest point in the sky, but cowers in the shadows”, & proceeds to make a zillion other, “you are the…” analogies. She starts holding my hands, telling me over and over I need to “blossom.” She began crying, & expressing fear that I am “not blossoming.” “Most people have blossomed by your age, but you haven’t. I’m worried for you, [OP]. I want you to have a wonderful life, I want you to be the bird that soars high in the sky, but...you have to turn things around.”

You need to spit in her mouth the next time she tries talking to you.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

MarcusSA posted:

She likes the guy and her mom stole her dudes before.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Power Khan posted:

She likes the guy and her mom stole her dudes before.

It seems like she’s his girlfriend though? They are moving in together? I dunno.

It’s funny though and the joke is as old as time.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

It does, he was making a dumb joke,(Like when people refer to a grandma they help as "my girlfriend") but his friend took it really badly because she's probably holding a torch for OP.

Either that, or he's leaving out info and he took the joke too far

Edit:

MarcusSA posted:

It seems like she’s his girlfriend though? They are moving in together? I dunno.

It’s funny though and the joke is as old as time.

No, they're just friends from what he says

Miserable Maid fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 28, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
Maybe she didn't want to move in with him and this was just the chance she was looking for to torpedo it.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

its microwaves sister

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Serephina posted:

Where's the update post? He's removed his first post and I'm reading through his comments on it but not seeing anything definite?

Did someone say update?

quote:

I don't know what to think. The situation is that a buddy I've known for a few years who is dating another friend of mine has informed me that my girlfriend that I've known for 8 months is lying about her occupation. He is an EMT and she claims to be a nurse at a certain hospital in our city. EMT buddy swears up and down there is no way she works there.

This is really shocking to me. She's in scrubs all of the time, I've picked her up from the hospital she claims to work at, she has medical books all over her apartment etcetera.

EMT buddy and my girlfriend have only met once on a double date with my other friend. They did talk shop a little bit and he's basing this accusation on that one conversation. He told me he would bet money she had never stepped foot on the ward she claims to work in. For reference, she says she's a psych nurse at this prestigious hospital and EMT buddy asked her which unit she worked on. Apparently there are two at this hospital, the "East" and "West" unit. He tested her by asking "do you work on "North" or "south" and she said, "north" and that she referred to patients being violent as a "code grey" and that is not the terminology used at that hospital. There were more small, technical details he claimed she got wrong like their nurse's stations being open and not enclosed spaces. Things like that.

On one hand, why would she lie about being a nurse? But also what does he gain from lying about her lying about being a nurse? I don't know jack about the medical profession, to be frank. This whole thing makes me feel crazy.

How do I even bring this up?

TLDR EMT friend has called out my girlfriend as pretending to be a nurse.

UPDATE: Well this chick is batshit insane. Mystery solved. She doesn't work at the nice hospital, she works at a not so nice hospital and not as a nurse but as a phlebotomy technician or whatever the gently caress. She failed out of nursing school and is seriously obsessed. She said she got a TBI her third year into her bachelors program and was unable to finish. I may have forgiven all of that but it's clear she has a tenuous, at BEST, grasp on reality and went on a bizarre rant about how she could be a doctor, how she saves lives, she's a genius; she knows more than anyone in the world when it comes to the medical field, she claimed she could perform surgery on people, that she had healing powers, that she's the greatest person in the world, just on and on... seriously unhinged type poo poo. I had to tap out because she was really scaring me.

I've never been in such close proximity to someone having a mental breakdown. I wasnt supposed to see her until yesterday and I ambushed her at her apartment. Finally I just had to leave. I feel bad about confronting her. I probably shouldn't have left her alone at all after that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Power Khan posted:

Not the A-hole
You know those videos where kids realize where foods come from? My nephew is one of those kids who couldn’t handle it. From the time he was 5 to now (8 years old) he’s refused to eat animals--or so he thinks.

My sister has been telling him that all the foods she makes for him (chicken nuggets, fish sticks, breaded meats that don’t really LOOK like an animal) are made of plants. Except I didn’t know that!

So last week, he was over my house playing with some nuggets that were stamped out to be shaped like dinosaurs. He said “Rawr!” and I said “Don’t you mean cluck-cluck? It’s from a chicken!” And he said “No there’s two kinds of chicken, one we eat and one that clucks.” And I started setting him straight, but when he understood what I was saying he really started crying and freaking out.

I called my sister and she exploded on me for bringing this whole house of cards down. I told her well why don’t you buy some beans/peas/nuts instead of lying, but of course criticizing a parent is a war crime! AITA?

Can't really complain about someone accidentally telling your kids the truth when that person is unaware of the elaborate quilt of lies you've sewn

Parent probably doesn't know how to make beans

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Power Khan posted:

Not the A-hole

This never came up at school or something before now? And the kid is eight!

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for being upset that my brother planned his wedding on my birthday?

quote:

Pretty much as it says. My brother booked his wedding on my birthday this year and it's an abroad wedding so no one is invited. He said he forgot that it was my birthday and so did his fiancée. We are not super close but trying to build a stronger relationship together. We still see each other on birthdays and such. My bf thinks I'm over reacting and it was simply a mistake. I have brought it up jokingly at family events and I was told to drop it as I was sounding like an rear end in a top hat. (Didn't intend to offend) But I'm upset as now my birthday will also forever be my brother's wedding anniversary. I'm just a bit hurt I guess and want to know if it's right for me to be upset or if I'm over reacting.

Edit: someone mentioned I should add this. I don't make a huge deal of it with everyone. My brother normally starts a joke of it and I continue it and then his fiancée goes all quiet and seems to get upset. Its not like I'm going 'cant believe your getting married on my birthday!' all the time, it's more of a 'haha no excuse for forgetting my birthday now bro' but his fiancée seems to have the bigger issue and I think I'm more upset that bringing up my birthday is quickly becoming something I'm told I shouldn't do as it's upsetting her and I'm an rear end in a top hat for it. Even though me and my brother are actually bonding a bit over the joke.

Edit 2: messaged fiancée after reading comments to apologize for being an rear end. She responded saying my brother will no longer be attending my birthdays in future as it is now Thier day and she plans to always go away for it. I said ok as we can go for my birthday lunch another day around the same time. She's gone a bit weird now and has started telling me how they will not make my 30th birthday (3 years away) I'm confused.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ad090 posted:

AITA for being upset that my brother planned his wedding on my birthday?

Your brother's fiancee is a psycho.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OP is saintly. This woman keeps trying to pick a fight with her over nothing and I just imagine OP wide-eyed trying to de-escalate while the other woman is red faced and seething at the insult.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I can't tell if OP is a man and SIL is a homophobe or OP is a woman and SIL is against brother having other women in his life, but I'm pretty sure the wedding day was chosen on purpose. Also, destination wedding no one is invited to is kinda weird.

Edit:
Oh, it's just a controlling self absorbed person who wants to cut everyone out:

quote:

I don't think she is that kind of person but she disowned her own family and as the years have gone by seems to be distancing herself from our family too.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 28, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for telling my financially clueless sister her “exciting skin care opportunity” is a multi-level marketing scam?

My sister is nearing 50 and is having a mid-life crisis. She’s a successful lawyer making well into the six figures but has had a LOT of personal and financial issues the last couple years. A couple days ago she started posting all these pictures and Snapchats from a fancy hotel in a state she doesn’t live, talking about some conference for her exciting side job. There were lavish parties with DJs and rooms full of dancing, well-dressed, highly excited people.

Well... I think you know where this is going. A quick Google search revealed this company is a multi-level marketing thing that has recently “rebranded” after numerous lawsuits and even its main product having been found to be toxic. There are the usual stories of recruiters encouraging people to recruit others instead of actually selling product. I reached out to my mom and of course my sister has already sold her some eye cream for like 60 loving dollars. My mom is disabled, nearly confined to the house and has literally zero use for eye cream, just bought it to “help her out”. And so it begins.

I find it really hard to believe that my sister who graduated law school isn’t aware of the scammy, scummy nature of this if I found out in a 5 minute Google search. She is also on really, really shaky financial ground and my parents have bailed her out to the tune of six figures in the last five years. I’m fed up. WIBTA to confront her with the facts behind this “opportunity”?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA to keep eating foods that gross out my gf?

Gonna keep this short. My gf and I, both 25, have traveled extensively through SE Asia in the past 2 years. I love Asian foods and exploring night markets trying different street foods is one of my favorite things.

Last year we had a big blow up while we were in Bangkok at a big night market. I wanted to try a fried soft shell crab and my gf thought it was disgusting and unclean. I said there were tons of people here, including foreigners, and I want to be able to try something. I then wanted some fried squid and snails and she said the same thing. After a while I just said gently caress it and ate it anyways because we were there for only one night. She got incredibly upset at me.

We’re going to Hong Kong in two weeks and she brought up last year’s incident. She wants me to promise that I won’t eat anything she considers too gross, unrecognizable, and foreign. I say no and she asks me why I’m being so stubborn over this one thing that bothers her so much. She says it nearly makes her retch watching me put that kind of stuff in my mouth in some street alley. She says it’s the one habit of mine she finds extremely unbearable.

AITA if I just say no and keep eating the things I want? I get that it grosses her out but I feel like she’s being really controlling by making me agree to ask for her “permission” for everything I put in my mouth. It doesn’t help that she’s very picky and consider 50% of Asian foods to be “too gross” anyways. If I went her way we’d be having all of our meals in the hotel.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for telling my financially clueless sister her “exciting skin care opportunity” is a multi-level marketing scam?

Absolutely, but she's fuckin dumb and has almost certainly been warned not to believe your "lies" so don't hope for much

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Gonna keep this short. My gf and I, both 25, have traveled extensively through SE Asia in the past 2 years. I love Asian foods and exploring night markets trying different street foods is one of my favorite things.

Last year we had a big blow up while we were in Bangkok at a big night market. I wanted to try a fried soft shell crab and my gf thought it was disgusting and unclean. I said there were tons of people here, including foreigners, and I want to be able to try something. I then wanted some fried squid and snails and she said the same thing. After a while I just said gently caress it and ate it anyways because we were there for only one night. She got incredibly upset at me.

We’re going to Hong Kong in two weeks and she brought up last year’s incident. She wants me to promise that I won’t eat anything she considers too gross, unrecognizable, and foreign. I say no and she asks me why I’m being so stubborn over this one thing that bothers her so much. She says it nearly makes her retch watching me put that kind of stuff in my mouth in some street alley. She says it’s the one habit of mine she finds extremely unbearable.

AITA if I just say no and keep eating the things I want? I get that it grosses her out but I feel like she’s being really controlling by making me agree to ask for her “permission” for everything I put in my mouth. It doesn’t help that she’s very picky and consider 50% of Asian foods to be “too gross” anyways. If I went her way we’d be having all of our meals in the hotel.

Congrats on your basic bitch girlfriend

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If you're going to be such a lame stick in the mud in foreign lands, why would you even bother leaving American suburbia?

The food of other cultures is part of their heart and soul.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Smirking_Serpent posted:

quote:

[–]Ilovestreetfoods345

[S] 691 points 8 hours ago
She likes the culture and history. Shes also a budding photographer so it’s great for her career.

Food wise she’s not adventurous at all and would eat at McDonald’s every meal if possible because she doesn’t trust regional produce. I love local foods so I try to eat everything, but it makes our meals while traveling difficult.

"likes the culture"

Hahahahahahah!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

Can't really complain about someone accidentally telling your kids the truth when that person is unaware of the elaborate quilt of lies you've sewn

Parent probably doesn't know how to make beans

Some years ago I was a babysitter for a family with two daughters. One night pre sit the mom told me how they were going to Disneyland the next week for the younger daughter's birthday. So after the parents left, sat down the kids for dinner and asked about the trip.

That they had no idea about.

Managed to salvage the surprise of it though for the idiot parents who hadn't TOLD ME IT WAS A SURPRISE by convincing the kids the younger sister was too young to go (minimum age for Disney was 5 and she was only 4) so it would be mean to make her wait in the car while everyone else had fun. Buuuut since I know someone who works at Disney, MAYBE I could help her parents get her in.

Surprise trip was saved and the kids believed I was loving magic for years after that.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

going to hong kong just to eat at mcdonalds

e: woah she even admitted to wanting to just eat at mcdonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
This bitch gets to go to Hong Kong and won't eat the local cuisine? Holy poo poo I'm jealous.