Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
PSA to anybody looking to hop into Feast 4v4s for Garo achievements:

-You will benefit greatly from reading up prior to getting started - pvpaissa is a great resource for guides
-Training queue matches count for the wins achievements
-Healing in PVP is very much the opposite of PVE healing in that you're going to be constantly rolling your GCD to heal your teammates and should very rarely be DPSing ever
-Avoid SCH and SMN - Scholar is extremely technical in PVP (primary source of healing is broil -> OGCD Lustrate, fairy works completely differently, Physick is even more useless here and overall scholar has to be played extremely well to get the mileage WHM or AST will get) and Summoner is 100% a pressure class and doesn't have much in the way of raw burst damage, which matters a lot more than being able to push 300k damage per match.
-If you're playing tank, don't sit on the healer all match - you want to assist your healer with peeling the enemy melee and ranged DPS off of your team and only CC healers when your team is bursting a target (denoted by the Focus Target countdown)
-Most of the toxicity people like to claim the mode has comes from newer players and the community itself on Primal is generally very welcoming of newer players that are at least making an effort to learn :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dr Pepper posted:

With how many people seem to be ditching WoW I think "Second most" might change.

Don't hold your breath.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dr Pepper posted:

With how many people seem to be ditching WoW I think "Second most" might change.

You are greatly overestimating both how many people play WoW and also underestimating many people will either stick with that game through anything or just stop playing MMOs all together

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
as a wow refugee i will say that if i hadn't had friends playing 14 i probably would have just stopped playing mmos (or waited until wow improved). i mean i did end up enjoying this game, but i can see a lot of people not wanting to bother going through a whole new game, especially since initial leveling is a slog and not exactly unique.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
It's going to take a lot more than just terrible patching, horrible business practices, boring gameplay, lovely class balance, awful repetitive grindy racial unlocks, delayed content and an empty world that has no purpose to make people stop playing World of Warcraft to the point that it dethrones it as top dog.

Double down on that when comparing to FFXIV where ARR is some of the most slow plodding ever and the promise of an amazing experience past that isn't something that the typical WoW player who has only known that game is willing to sit through.

Givin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 28, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Givin posted:

It's going to take a lot more than just terrible patching, horrible business practices, boring gameplay, lovely class balance, awful repetitive grindy racial unlocks, delayed content and an empty world that has no purpose to make people stop playing World of Warcraft to the point that it dethrones it as top dog.

Double down on that when comparing to FFXIV where ARR is some of the most slow plodding ever and the promise of an amazing experience past that isn't something that the typical WoW player who has only known that game is willing to sit through.
Free ARR scenario skip potion and goofy hat with Armory link of WoW character and confirmation of account ownership.

e: Gags aside aren't they looking to streamline ARR's leg of things even more for people getting up there?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nessus posted:

Free ARR scenario skip potion and goofy hat with Armory link of WoW character and confirmation of account ownership.

e: Gags aside aren't they looking to streamline ARR's leg of things even more for people getting up there?

Not really. They are taking a serious look at the levels that people get skills, which will probably do a lot to help. If they were smart they would cut a lot of the filler and wildly jack up the msq exp too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really have no idea how they intend on making leveling better, especially since the emphasis on sub-max level content via roulettes means it isnt just a matter of getting through it quickly - getting 50% more exp from leveling isn't going to make totorak or tam tara any more fun in LLDR. possibly less if they need to space out skills even more so everyone has three buttons until level 30

justblais
Apr 28, 2019

its ya boi

Failboattootoot posted:

Not really. They are taking a serious look at the levels that people get skills, which will probably do a lot to help. If they were smart they would cut a lot of the filler and wildly jack up the msq exp too.

as someone who just did the slog for the first time hooo boy should they do the last part because being 47 and going from quests needing you to be 46 to quests needing you to be 49 feels ~*~*~*lovely*~*~*~

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm about to get my first level 70 crafters/gatherers, what ilvl gear should I buy so I can start getting yellow scrips from collectibles?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dr Pepper posted:

Just poking around, it looks like FF14 has has on average about 600k "active" players since 2.0. The boom/bust will push that up to 750-800k; however, the return to baseline seems to be incredibly reliable with people returning for major point releases.

On the other hand...

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

:stare:

IDK what to even do with this. I barely spend gil on anything but the MGP seems like a bad idea for how hard it is to get. Auction off an Ornate? Sit on the gold cert until next expansion?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
1 mil mgp isn’t bad

the ornate i340 chest will take a while to get rid of for ~5-8 millionish

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get the ornate chest and give it to me.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Phone posted:

1 mil mgp isn’t bad

the ornate i340 chest will take a while to get rid of for ~5-8 millionish
Gold cert buys ornate 380's. Having a hard time telling what they're worth though.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 28, 2019

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

OneEightHundred posted:

Gold cert buys ornate 380's.

For combat, yeah, but that's not a great buy atm. 340's for DoL/DoH which still has value.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So healer chat. I have a max level Scholar and don't enjoy healing with it. The faerie allows you to be lazy sometimes, but when it's time to scramble I hate the fiddly placement and you also have an absurd number of very similar buffs I have to keep track of. The class aesthetics are pretty cool.

I have a 57 White Mage. Playing it is nice and straight forward. Except, I hate all the aesthetics of it (gear, spells, lilies, etc) with the exception of the Holy spell.

I've poked at Astrologian and I'm not sure if I'm gonna find the cards fiddly like the faerie or an interesting diversion. Worth leveling?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Personally I don't like the cards because aside from Balance their effects are so minimal to your play as to be pointless.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

So healer chat. I have a max level Scholar and don't enjoy healing with it. The faerie allows you to be lazy sometimes, but when it's time to scramble I hate the fiddly placement and you also have an absurd number of very similar buffs I have to keep track of. The class aesthetics are pretty cool.

I have a 57 White Mage. Playing it is nice and straight forward. Except, I hate all the aesthetics of it (gear, spells, lilies, etc) with the exception of the Holy spell.

I've poked at Astrologian and I'm not sure if I'm gonna find the cards fiddly like the faerie or an interesting diversion. Worth leveling?
You might just not like healing, honestly. It's a lot of stuff to juggle.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forget about the cards all the time but I love AST, it's got some really fun buttons to press.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

JimmyBiskit posted:

PSA to anybody looking to hop into Feast 4v4s for Garo achievements:

-You will benefit greatly from reading up prior to getting started - pvpaissa is a great resource for guides
-Training queue matches count for the wins achievements
-Healing in PVP is very much the opposite of PVE healing in that you're going to be constantly rolling your GCD to heal your teammates and should very rarely be DPSing ever
-Avoid SCH and SMN - Scholar is extremely technical in PVP (primary source of healing is broil -> OGCD Lustrate, fairy works completely differently, Physick is even more useless here and overall scholar has to be played extremely well to get the mileage WHM or AST will get) and Summoner is 100% a pressure class and doesn't have much in the way of raw burst damage, which matters a lot more than being able to push 300k damage per match.
-If you're playing tank, don't sit on the healer all match - you want to assist your healer with peeling the enemy melee and ranged DPS off of your team and only CC healers when your team is bursting a target (denoted by the Focus Target countdown)
-Most of the toxicity people like to claim the mode has comes from newer players and the community itself on Primal is generally very welcoming of newer players that are at least making an effort to learn :shobon:

I've only ever done training matches, since I have the loser's curse, so I'm not bringing anyone's ratings down, just wasting their time. I appreciate the pvpaissa suggestion, though, because I had never heard of it before.

I need 11 feast wins and and then 10 more of either feast or frontline after that to get the final two mounts, so I figure about 300 total matches ought to do it. :suicide: I apologize to anyone on Primal hoping to win anything if I end up with you, because my 1st place rate is ~22%.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly it took me no time at all to get my Garo mounts. If you play healer and are even remotely competent you can usually force a team to victory unless they decide to suicide like a crazy person. Which is entirely possible but eh.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

FuzzySlippers posted:

For what it's worth, a lot of Scholar's buttons have one or two very specific uses, and you can ignore them entirely unless you're in Savage or maybe EX Primal fights. You want to know that stuff like Deployment/Emergency Tactics, Sacred Soil, and your faerie abilities that aren't Whispering Dawn exist, but you're probably not going to touch them in a normal dungeon or whatever. Same thing goes with manually placing Eos, you can leave her on Follow 99% of the time and be perfectly fine. In Savage, you might place her somewhere at the start of the fight then leave her there. :ssh:

Wacky Delly posted:

Out of curiosity, which plot-important character was it?

I had a running bet that we'd be getting to the first shard either by magical suicide or death-by-Ele/Elizenos, which could technically still happen in 5.0 I guess. But probably not, and the bet was for it to happen in 4.x anyways, so.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 29, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Leofish posted:

I've only ever done training matches, since I have the loser's curse, so I'm not bringing anyone's ratings down, just wasting their time. I appreciate the pvpaissa suggestion, though, because I had never heard of it before.

I need 11 feast wins and and then 10 more of either feast or frontline after that to get the final two mounts, so I figure about 300 total matches ought to do it. :suicide: I apologize to anyone on Primal hoping to win anything if I end up with you, because my 1st place rate is ~22%.

you can't lose points as unranked and the matches pop way faster, also you only need 11 wins to get bronze to be eligible for wolf collars

just do it ✅

e:

Phone fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 28, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Well, didn’t know I linked my old account to my PS4, and I’m not even sure what email I used. The account was canceled, so I can’t even access it. Sent an email, hoping they just let me link the new account.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I've reached Pyros, and I'm just kind of squinting in mild confusion at logos actions. I get the idea, just unsure of how much I actually need to engage with it beyond checking off stuff for the weapon. Any must-have actions to carry around as I push further ahead?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Platebearer(Martilist if tank) is nice to have when messing around in Pyros. But for the most part the only thing that really requires them is the Baldesian Arsenal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbit posted:

I've reached Pyros, and I'm just kind of squinting in mild confusion at logos actions. I get the idea, just unsure of how much I actually need to engage with it beyond checking off stuff for the weapon. Any must-have actions to carry around as I push further ahead?

Basically they make things easier but are entirely unnecessary outside of BA.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Phone posted:

you can't lose points as unranked and the matches pop way faster, also you only need 11 wins to get bronze to be eligible for wolf collars

just do it ✅

Maybe. I'm working on learning BLM. I've been liking it as a class overall lately so I'm giving it a go in PvP as well.

I'm at least helping people on the other team get their mounts, so that's nice. :unsmith:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Healing was my main in WoW/EQ. FFXIV does have just 3 healer jobs with no specs so :shrug: FFXIV is a dramatically better game than WoW but I always miss the variety.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

For what it's worth, a lot of Scholar's buttons have one or two very specific uses, and you can ignore them entirely unless you're in Savage or maybe EX Primal fights. You want to know that stuff like Deployment/Emergency Tactics, Sacred Soil, and your faerie abilities that aren't Whispering Dawn exist, but you're probably not going to touch them in a normal dungeon or whatever. Same thing goes with manually placing Eos, you can leave her on Follow 99% of the time and be perfectly fine. In Savage, you might place her somewhere at the start of the fight then leave her there. :ssh:

I'm never gonna raid except in the public queue stuff so I should just bind 1/2 the buffs to an oh poo poo macro or something. I play very periodically so when I log in and see the rows of icons I only vaguely recall I've just been switching to White Mage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Schubalts posted:

Grinding up to HoH and getting the Gyr Abanian hair myself would probably take me less time than it would to get the millions needed to buy it off the MB. I want that big, floofy ponytail so bad. :negative:

You can get it within two weeks without any weird market board stuff or praying for lucky HoH drops if you've got a 70 tank. Run Expert, Level 70, Alliance, Leveling, and Trials every day with the adventurer in need bonus and you'll get 603,260g a week. If you have a single gatherer at 70, yank a Gazelleskin Map out of the ground every day and sell it for an extra 20-70k per day. There's no royal road to riches, but you can keep yourself comfortably in the black with only a bit of legwork.

FuzzySlippers posted:

So healer chat. I have a max level Scholar and don't enjoy healing with it. The faerie allows you to be lazy sometimes, but when it's time to scramble I hate the fiddly placement and you also have an absurd number of very similar buffs I have to keep track of.

There's really not a lot to faerie placement. On boss fights, you plant her at roughly the center of where your party is spread out. On dungeon pulls, you run with the tank and try to keep your faerie close enough so that you can guarantee Whispering Dawn will hit them. What similar buffs are you having trouble keeping track of?

AST is fairly straightforwards but requires more APM to play optimally than either SCH or WHM, and has more variables to pay attention to (current Draw, current state of RR/Spread, Sleeve Draw cooldown vs. Draw cooldown, etc.). The card mechanic isn't fiddly at all if you've got crisp execution.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OneEightHundred posted:

:stare:

IDK what to even do with this. I barely spend gil on anything but the MGP seems like a bad idea for how hard it is to get. Auction off an Ornate? Sit on the gold cert until next expansion?

Ornate poo poo devalues as we speak because of the pre-expansion lull and raid echo buffs being added. Gold certs will most certainly be replaced by something else for the next tier of gear. I think MGP is probably your most self-interested bet here.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Aside from the cards, Malefic casts faster than Broil/Stone and it has an instant-cast heal with no cooldown, so it's a bit more mobile, but it also uses a lot of MP.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You want to know that stuff like Deployment/Emergency Tactics, Sacred Soil, and your faerie abilities that aren't Whispering Dawn exist, but you're probably not going to touch them in a normal dungeon or whatever.
Emergency's useful for healing up large party/raid damage with Succor when the shield would otherwise be wasteful (i.e. because it's either already applied, or because it'll expire), especially if Indomitability is on cooldown.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 29, 2019

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Astrologian is cool once you get past that horrible first several hours where you can't remember what each card does, and then right as you think you have it then you get Royal Road and you have to remember more stuff.

Once you get past that, then you've got a really straightforward job with an emphasis on planning and buffs that tries to make sure to play another move in a mini game every thirty seconds.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Pretty sure there's a mod that slaps the effects on top of each card in the UI.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How's the hotbar bloat on the AST? I feel like Scholar has a bunch of buttons that do similar things but occupy their own CD.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Pretty sure there's a mod that slaps the effects on top of each card in the UI.

It is not a mod. It is baked-in to the default UI.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It is not a mod. It is baked-in to the default UI.

What, like this?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh no, I thought you meant the little icons above. That's new, I hadn't seen that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Once you get some memory tricks down it's pretty easy to remember what does what.

They're grouped by what you get from Royal Road (Power = Damage multipliers, duration = combat stats, AOE = resource refills), and they're also associated with elements (fire, earth, wind, ice, lightning, water) that have somewhat intuitive association with what they do.... or more inventive associations...

Spiky ice = Crit
Wind = Speed
Tree = Barkskin
Red ("fire") = Damage
Yellow lightning = Fills your yellow resource bar
Blue water = Fills your blue resource bar

Replace with your mnemonic of choice. I think it's more useful to view them in terms of the elemental associations since that's what the UI shows you anyway, and some of the card names have unintuitive meaning (i.e. no, "Arrow" is not the ones your bards want).

FuzzySlippers posted:

How's the hotbar bloat on the AST? I feel like Scholar has a bunch of buttons that do similar things but occupy their own CD.
AST is probably the worst in terms of number of skills that you need ready to use frequently and immediately, mostly because of the 3 cancel skills. Draw + card management is 8 skills.

Scholar might be slightly worse in terms of skills that you want on-hand but more of those are cooldowns and some are very situational.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 29, 2019