Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

overpower is fantastic and flash sucks poo poo, seems pretty straightforward to me

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Cones are trash.

no

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yes, that's what this game needs: more unofficial designations of roles within roles that constrain development down the road. It worked for healers!!!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Impermanent posted:

Yes, that's what this game needs: more unofficial designations of roles within roles that constrain development down the road. It worked for healers!!!

The problem with healers is that they didn't do this.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Boogalo posted:

$34 or so with free shipping on ebay. Its a japan only crane game prize, so you can only buy it indirectly. I couldn't find any measurements for it and took a gamble and am pleasantly surprised its not 2" tall or something. Pretty heavy, nice detail. Worth.

Friends for scale. I think sparkle dog could take heavensward dragon in a fight.

every time I see zenos's stupid katana golf bag it gets even funnier

KoB
May 1, 2009
Its like a bug dumb cement mixer full of swords.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

somepartsareme posted:

i hope yoshi-p just locks out hrothgar from being able to be dancer, that would be "weird" and not the kind of fantasy they want to engender in the player.

yes i'm still mad

hopefully the will add a sign they heard player's protests on gender-lock and comment on the May update. Still sad I won't be able to play bun boys on launch.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

World War Mammories posted:

every time I see zenos's stupid katana golf bag it gets even funnier

I'm gonna quote myself from back when I fit to SB content:

Cabbit posted:

So I've just started Stormblood.

This motherfucker has a magitek golf bag full of katanas. Tell me he does some heinous poo poo later so I can take him seriously, because I feel like I should be giving him a swirly.

On the cusp of Shadowbringers, I can now definitively state that there is no act heinous enough to make me take Zenos seriously.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah Zenos IS the best, agreed

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Impermanent posted:

Odd as it sounds, constraints in development can help. They give a good starting point by communicating what the game director/lead designer want. Devs better understand high level intentions, and individual design elements (usually) fit with each other.

In FFXIV reality, it would work if the sub-roles are fun & viable in most encounters. Ideally, they'd work in all encounters. If not, at least players would predict the endgame meta more quickly, and designers could more quickly adjust if needed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
drk has a much cooler aoe toolset than warrior and lets you go full tryhard once you get blackest night

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

isk posted:

Odd as it sounds, constraints in development can help.

For example, constraining BLU to the traditional job structure would have helped it greatly.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I'm gonna quote myself from back when I fit to SB content:

On the cusp of Shadowbringers, I can now definitively state that there is no act heinous enough to make me take Zenos seriously.

Please stop being mean to my best friend.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm just glad it isn't just me who laughs and laughs at that goofy-rear end golfbag.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Boogalo posted:

I caved and bought a Tataru and she's adorable.

Where is this from? I don't see it on the SE store.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm just glad it isn't just me who laughs and laughs at that goofy-rear end golfbag.

It is the stupidest thing and I love it. I want ShB Samurai to get it.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

ImpAtom posted:

It is the stupidest thing and I love it. I want ShB Samurai to get it.

I hope one of the new SAM skills is just you throwing swords at people, drawing them one at a time from your sword bag.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

S.J. posted:

Where is this from? I don't see it on the SE store.

Ebay. It's a crane game prize in japan.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Pierson posted:

Thanks man. SAM feels really good on controller but I wanna try out the jumping bastard class that dies a lot.

https://gyazo.com/e7a7fe4f2133705a6331ee9bdba80afc
https://gyazo.com/69e2fffdec0d49a3dd9fc4a31917beaa

The first image is my L2 and R2 crossbars (I have them split by buttons, not triggers, so the order is L2-dpad R2-dpad L2-face R2-face), while the second is my expanded crossbars; I don't use the double-tap crossbars (yet :v: ) because I tried them and really just didn't like them! These aren't the best, I started in ARR and have just kept adjusting them a bit for expansions, so there's definitely some room for improvement for the love of everything good put elusive jump on a button you don't often hit especially not the same button for mirage dive. I wouldn't really recommend using the same setup, but I'll explain why some stuff is where it is. The general GCD idea was to have the combos on the same buttons (circle>X>square) on two different triggers, and I put the finishers where they are because circle (or square) for the side positional and X for the rear positional makes sense to me. Additionally, I always want doom spike + sonic thrust on my bars, but I don't often get to use them (I don't often run dungeons at this point except for leveling other jobs) so they're relegated to my least used crossbar. It's important to have them available, though! In O11S I end up using them at the end of level checker so I can try to end the phase with as much time on Blood as I can cause otherwise level checker tends to die right before my finishers.

The keyboard hotbar above the crossbars is purely for watching timers.

It's all the oGCD placements that are weird and a result of building these over time. I really need to get around to rearranging my poo poo some day, but for now at least I'm used to these and even with the weird layout I've cleared this raid tier so :shrug: I think it'd be more useful to talk about how I'd rearrange it instead of trying to justify my oGCD placements. (fake edit: I'm just going to go ahead and change them while typing this out, and I'll add updated images at the end)

To start with, I would switch BotD and Gier. BotD needs to be easy to hit but Gier gets used way more often so it should be on the main bars. Then I'd probably move the jumps (except elusive) to a main crossbar, probably R2-dpad, and put mirage dive on R2-up. Elusive I'll put on my least used crossbar (L2+R2.) I'd keep doom spike + sonic thrust on L2+R2-face but I'd put ds on circle and st on X to stay more consistent with my single target combos. Life surge will go on R2+L2-square, square to be on the same button as full thrust, and R2+L2 so it's in the same group as my finishers for the rare cases where I need to use life surge on one of them (this mostly happens with O12S door boss.) I'll move piercing talon over to L2+R2-square instead. Buffs and role actions are basically to taste, more or less; I'm going to keep my buffs together and just sort of fit everything else in wherever. Except diversion, it goes on L2+R2-square because that's where I have lucid dreaming for all my casters. Consistency! Quick note: I have dragon sight on a focus target macro, I would highly recommend doing something like that for it.

Anyway, updated images:
https://gyazo.com/52caf8cbd9c369c378e8b05f1b270303
https://gyazo.com/3ffee2d36d0bbb032ea21a12d97db8b5

I also just recently found out you can map L3 and R3 to macros, so I turned R3 into my sprint button. Thanks to whomever linked that comprehensive controller guide earlier! I'm still reading through it.

e: timg tags weren't working for me so I changed them to url

Telum fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 30, 2019

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I gotta come back, because I'm a sucker for 50% sales. I'm still finishing ARR on my 56 BLM, is there anything I need to keep in mind at this point, or can I keep on pushing through with the MSQ? Also, should I take BLM to max (my highest and only class), or is there any harm in swapping over to DRK or something else once I've unlocked that?

Also, all the goon LS stuff is still done same as it ever was on Discord?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

!amicable posted:

I gotta come back, because I'm a sucker for 50% sales. I'm still finishing ARR on my 56 BLM, is there anything I need to keep in mind at this point, or can I keep on pushing through with the MSQ? Also, should I take BLM to max (my highest and only class), or is there any harm in swapping over to DRK or something else once I've unlocked that?

Also, all the goon LS stuff is still done same as it ever was on Discord?
You'll have to level through DRK again though you can do it with dungeon queues. As a tank you will have very short wait times compared to BLM.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dr Pepper posted:

The problem with healers is that they didn't do this.

Basically, yeah. If AST was the card buff/paper cuts healer, SCH the shield/ogcd healer and WHM the fat heals/regens healer, you'd instantly know what to play depending on what you like..

As it is now, every healer tries to be everything, and now SCH has the best buff in chain strat, incredibly useful instant heals in indom/excog, the best shield in deploy adlo/critlo, and an anemic but 100% automatic ~200 potency heal over time in the fairy, that works at all times except when you're dead. :v:

Change stances on AST to do something fun. Probably make them interact with cards or royal road somehow. Give whm better auras. rear end size is a nice start but make something new that works off a gauge and is a toggle. Give sch.. i dunno, a critlo cooldown, different fey union effects on different fairies and more fairies

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

overpower is fantastic and flash sucks poo poo, seems pretty straightforward to me

yeah overpower is a tradeoff, you exchange ease of picking up mobs for a good potency spammable AoE you'll never get synced out of. pretty drat good deal imo.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Nessus posted:

You'll have to level through DRK again though you can do it with dungeon queues. As a tank you will have very short wait times compared to BLM.

That was my idea. BLM 1-56 has been sort of slow, do classes after your fist pick up? Aside from the disparity between DPS and tanks, I mean. I was mostly just tired of tanking for my entire WoW career and wanted to see how DPS folks live. IIRC, it's a wonderous life of facerolling and fireballs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

!amicable posted:

That was my idea. BLM 1-56 has been sort of slow, do classes after your fist pick up? Aside from the disparity between DPS and tanks, I mean. I was mostly just tired of tanking for my entire WoW career and wanted to see how DPS folks live. IIRC, it's a wonderous life of facerolling and fireballs.
You get like +100% XP for any classes below the level of your highest class (may not apply if your highest classes are FSH or something) in addition to whatever bonuses you stack up like rested XP and so on. This only applies to mobs I think, but mob XP is considerable in dungeons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
armoury bonus works on everything except quest xp, funnily enough.

so saving quests for later jobs doesn't work too well unfortunately, but it's still something to do while waiting in dps queue :v:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Between patches means loving with glamours time.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Finally reached 70 on RDM, and Impact is just what the job needed to make it a fun juggle.

I hope ShB doesn't mess with RDM too hard, playing a mage without DoTs is a nice diversion.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Now to work on DoH/DoL

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

BrightWing posted:

Now to work on DoH/DoL

Sir you are missing one.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

Finally reached 70 on RDM, and Impact is just what the job needed to make it a fun juggle.

I hope ShB doesn't mess with RDM too hard, playing a mage without DoTs is a nice diversion.

How does it compare to BLM?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Boogalo posted:

Between patches means loving with glamours time.

Millia Rage?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yep. Its missing some details, but serviceable :)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well now I gotta figure out how to make Baiken.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Boogalo posted:

Sir you are missing one.

BLU will be my dessert for catching up my crafters and gatherers.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Leveling BLU is the FFXIV version of, like, oatmeal with water, though. Pretty unorthodox choice of dessert.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know it's an old joke at this point, but the Montblanc bit with the chocobos is boring and sucks to play.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

BrightWing posted:

Now to work on DoH/DoL

That's the coat from the last set of Alexander bosses, right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of unfun, loving a 10-stage duty with multiple fights I have to do in one run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

What, like this?

Is this an actual mod? I couldn't google anything.

(Astrologian is fun so far)