Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That doesn't make any sense. Sexual assault is a crime, so Wohl is recruiting people to falsely accuse a public figure of a crime. How could that possibly not be illegal? And if it is, it seems like they got far enough along to prove intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stickman posted:

That doesn't make any sense. Sexual assault is a crime, so Wohl is recruiting people to falsely accuse a public figure of a crime. How could that possibly not be illegal? And if it is, it seems like they got far enough along to prove intent.

Short answer is that there is no Federal criminal defamation, only half of states have criminal defamation, and it's apparently pretty rarely prosecuted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation#Criminal_defamation_3

Defamation is generally a civil matter where the 'victim' sues the defamer. Mueller probably didn't view Wohl as worth his time.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Stickman posted:

Obviously it's clear that poor Jacob Wohl is just too stupid to not commit crimes, and so he can never act with criminal intent. The system works, trust the smug twitter lawyer guy who acts completely detached from everything.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
I live in an idiosyncratic small city now. Blue state, democratic governance in the city, big union town, but also a lot of farmers/trades who are more socially conservative/very christian, with a recent influx of Hispanic immigrants. Overall I like it here for the hiking and the reasonable standard of living.

I saw scrawled into the dirt of a truck on the road by my house "Subscribe to pewdiepie <3."

I know what that little prick who did it is trying to do, and I'm not afraid or triggered. But I am angrier than I've felt in ages.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1123045725615599616

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

NO CRIMES HERE GUYS

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

pseudanonymous posted:

But he's not really committing libel, I think is the issue. He's suborning libel (I made that up) conspiring to get someone else to commit libel, aiding and abetting libel, but I don't think any of these things are really against "the law" though I'm only an expert on bird law.

Inducing someone to commit a crime is a crime, though. The actual answer is

Devor posted:

Short answer is that there is no Federal criminal defamation, only half of states have criminal defamation, and it's apparently pretty rarely prosecuted.

Defamation is generally a civil matter where the 'victim' sues the defamer. Mueller probably didn't view Wohl as worth his time.

And also I forgot about defamation vs libel

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Attempted crimin' ain't no crime, that's just logic.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump is torn between running out the clock and winning another term to avoid prosecution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Stickman posted:

Bear in mind that popehat is a fairly hardcore libertarian himself.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Trump is torn between running out the clock and winning another term to avoid prosecution.

No matter who wins, if Trump loses in 2020 he's not going to jail. There won't be enough political will or public support, and everyone will want to get busy forgetting he ever happened asap.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

... A white supremacist living on Rhodesia avenue?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/davidenrich/status/1123048717576228865

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Skippy McPants posted:

No matter who wins, if Trump loses in 2020 he's not going to jail. There won't be enough political will or public support, and everyone will want to get busy forgetting he ever happened asap.

Neat, tell me the lotto numbers of the next powerball.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Devor posted:

But if you're framing them for an actual crime isn't it Conspiracy To Pervert The Course Of Justice?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skippy McPants posted:

insert platitudes about moving forward

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mummy Xzibit posted:

NO CRIMES HERE GUYS

please, name one crime that Deutsche Bank has ever been complicit in

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grape posted:

Neat, tell me the lotto numbers of the next powerball.

If I were that optimistic, I'd bet on Trump going to prison for life.

Anything can happen, of course, but baring a major shift public sentiment I think people will want to memory hole Trump the second he's out of office. poo poo, we couldn't even get Nixon into jail, and they had him on tape saying "I sure did all those awesome crimes!" and that was in the era before Fox News.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

does this really stop anything?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So the president is suing a bank for complying with a congressional subpoena?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Reik posted:

So the president is suing a bank for complying with a congressional subpoena?

Sorta, he's trying to prevent them from complying.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

If he loses in 2020, he's going to be in and out of courtrooms for the next half decade.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Anything can happen, of course, but baring a major shift public sentiment I think people will want to memory hole Trump the second he's out of office. poo poo, we couldn't even get Nixon into jail, and they had him on tape saying "I sure did all those awesome crimes!" and that was in the era before Fox News.

The biggest difference between Trump post-presidency and Nixon post-presidency might be that there are a hojillion state investigations looming over the orange goblin. The previous NYAG burned his charity-fraud piggybank to the ground, and the current NYAG campaigned explicitly on investigating and prosecuting Donald Trump, son of Fred Christ.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

He doesn't live there, he owns property there.

They're trying to gentrify the neighborhood so they can sell their property for big money.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

i doubt he lives there, just owns property there

lakewood is a very black part of atlanta

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

He was pardoned by his VP.

Even if they pulled some weird lame duck retirement/Pence pardoning thing, that wouldn't save him from state criminal charges.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

KickerOfMice posted:

Go watch Ponyo, you great big fool. And make some ham.

Ham!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I've been having an increasingly powerful case of ticking biological man-clock, please stop sharing stories of hanging out and watching adorable movies with your kids. Me and the missus are not in the financial space for this yet. I am begging you.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Grape posted:

I've been having an increasingly powerful case of ticking biological man-clock, please stop sharing stories of hanging out and watching adorable movies with your kids. Me and the missus are not in the financial space for this yet. I am begging you.

https://twitter.com/madmeyers/status/909297943458582528

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Error: not enough RAM to complete request

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

He doesn't live there, he owns property there.

They're trying to gentrify the neighborhood so they can sell their property for big money.

What came first, them buying the property, or them wanting to gentrify the neighborhood? Now that I think about it a very wealthy white supremacist could destroy a black neighborhood by buying a couple of properties in the area for an astronomical price, causing all property values in the area to skyrocket, and the corresponding increase in property taxes would then force the residents to sell their properties or abandon them.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/1123061459917918209

Montana. Texas. Georgia.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

*unfurls scroll, which rolls out the door and down the street*

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

is this where she announces she's running for president?

please say no

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

If he loses in 2020, he's going to be in and out of courtrooms for the next half decade.

He'll suddenly and unexpectedly develop severe health problems (that won't affect his ability to golf)

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

FuturePastNow posted:

He'll suddenly and unexpectedly develop severe health problems (that won't affect his ability to golf)

They'll give him, his family and the entire administration the alzheimer's potion that they gave to Ronnie Raygun.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
watergate seems very quaint compared to the crimes of presidents after Nixon

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

qkkl posted:

What came first, them buying the property, or them wanting to gentrify the neighborhood? Now that I think about it a very wealthy white supremacist could destroy a black neighborhood by buying a couple of properties in the area for an astronomical price, causing all property values in the area to skyrocket, and the corresponding increase in property taxes would then force the residents to sell their properties or abandon them.

Them buying investment property there is the process of gentrification. There's a big production studio out that way, and the neighborhoods north and east are already pretty well into the process.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

enraged_camel posted:

is this where she announces she's running for president?

please say no
Hadn’t Biden declared her as his VP (without ever asking her)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

AmiYumi posted:

Hadn’t Biden declared her as his VP (without ever asking her)?

Wasn't that just a rumor?