Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

i really do think they had this on the cards until the down-in-flames popular reception of TLJ and the utter bomb that was Solo. like, they set up time travel that could change the past in rebels and had been going out of their way to avoid mentioning anything from the prequels (as interpreted by george lucas.) for example, mustafar is the only planet in rogue one to not be named with a title card, and the only planet featured from the prequels featured so far in the disney films at all. the only mention of them has been luke's little comment about darth sidious in TLJ, and it's very general.

"At the height of their powers, they allowed Darth Sidious to rise, create the Empire, and wipe them out. It was a Jedi Master who was responsible for the training and creation of Darth Vader."

this could be anything. one could argue it's not even that accurate to the prequels as they stand, even if you account for luke's agenda in the scene as is.

if we see anything in episode 9 that is a clear, unambigious reference to the prequels as made by lucas (say, for example, hayden christensen appearing as anakin, gungans, mention of the trade federation plot, whatever) then i'll be astounded. bail organa and mon mothma are the exceptions to this, but they're only in rogue one, and it's quite conceivable to construct a set of three prequels where they don't feature at all.

So weird that Vader has a castle playset on the planet where he became horribly mutilated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

skasion posted:

Luke is hidden in plain sight, Leia is just the regular kind of hidden. The Jedi hedged their bets with the kids basically, they took advantage of the fact that apparently nobody but Padmé expected twins to put the ole bamboozle on Darth. If he went looking for Skywalkers to kill/subvert, he finds one and gets him and everybody is happy.

But I mean like, I’m not talking about the in-universe logic of it at all here. It’s just a bit of continuity fudging on Lucas’ part to cover why neither Leia nor Vader would have the slightest idea that they’re related, since that was established from the first movie.

Return of the Jedi
was actually where Star Wars started to go very very wrong.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Applewhite posted:

So weird that Vader has a castle playset on the planet where he became horribly mutilated.

When I was watching ROTS I figured they just turned that planet into the deathstar :shrug:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Applewhite posted:

Return of the Jedi
was actually where Star Wars started to go very very wrong.

At no time was Star Wars right

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'd say it started with ANH, should have nipped that one in the bud heh

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i like the little white slave kid who can use the force

everyone's like, "there's hope! someday he'll be a great jedi too!"

but, like, isn't the abused slave child way more likely to grow up to be a sith? you're lookin' at the next vader there, not the next luke

oh, but he's cute and young and white so he'll probably grow up good i guess and definitely not a dangerously moody teenager

that is, if they even let them grow into their teenage years. didn't see a lot of non-child slaves up in there

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Star Wars needs to explore those headless cyborgs more

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Applewhite posted:

it owns if you imagine sheev built it and was like 'hey vader, got you a sweet holiday home on the planet where you became horribly mutilated and killed your wife'

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
With convenient access to the Emperor Palpatine Physical Rehabilitation Center and Emperor Palpatine Spa.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

i like the little white slave kid who can use the force

everyone's like, "there's hope! someday he'll be a great jedi too!"

but, like, isn't the abused slave child way more likely to grow up to be a sith? you're lookin' at the next vader there, not the next luke

oh, but he's cute and young and white so he'll probably grow up good i guess and definitely not a dangerously moody teenager

that is, if they even let them grow into their teenage years. didn't see a lot of non-child slaves up in there

Literally Vader's origin story lol omg that movie was an irredeemable trainwreck.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I know they say anakin was a slave but it really just seemed like he had a kinda jerky boss. Like, I’m sure we’ve all had worse jobs and bosses than Anakin at one point.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

I know they say anakin was a slave but it really just seemed like he had a kinda jerky boss. Like, I’m sure we’ve all had worse jobs and bosses than Anakin at one point.

#notallslaveowners

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My jerky boss doesnt have a bomb in my head he can detonate whenever he wants.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's just what you think. He still isn't gonna detonate it no matter what, your existence is simply to meaningless to bother.

I'm hoping that the slave child and his force broom are going to blow up another death star first order has surely cooked up.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's just what you think. He still isn't gonna detonate it no matter what, your existence is simply to meaningless to bother.

I'm hoping that the slave child and his force broom are going to blow up another death star first order has surely cooked up.

who the hell needs a death star these days?

they had a fuckin' giant planet that shot out like multiple even bigger more destructive bolts across several solar systems

god these movies are so loving stupid

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah you gotta keep escalating to make the stakes bigger and matter more from movie to movie, or otherwise the audience will get bored!

I for one can't wait for the Death Galaxy, just ready to crash into the good guys. Or why not go even bigger, Death Crunch.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Barudak posted:

My jerky boss doesnt have a bomb in my head he can detonate whenever he wants.

Wow look at ol’ Hollywood over here

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Star Wars’ depiction of slavery has more influence from antiquity or feudal peasantry (again, the characters that directly inspired R2-D2 and C-3PO are the bumbling pair of 15th-century Japanese peasants who serve as accidental protagonists of “The Hidden Fortress”) than from modern American slavery, which had really hosed up psychosexual/racial undercurrents lurking underneath the hosed upness of slavery itself.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

Star Wars’ depiction of slavery has more influence from antiquity or feudal peasantry (again, the characters that directly inspired R2-D2 and C-3PO are the bumbling pair of 15th-century Japanese peasants who serve as accidental protagonists of “The Hidden Fortress”) than from modern American slavery, which had really hosed up psychosexual/racial undercurrents lurking underneath the hosed upness of slavery itself.

#notallslavesocieties

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Maybe they were indentured servants and had a contract but sucks for them for some four arm monster to whip them

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

skasion posted:

I mean maybe one of the droids’ previous owners was loving them, who’s to say? Just a quick memory wipe before sale and Bing Bing Bong.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tiberius Christ posted:

Maybe they were indentured servants and had a contract but sucks for them for some four arm monster to whip them

that's actually in his contract too, though

he takes no joy in it, but its a living

dude gets paid by the whip

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 30, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

jar jar binks pauses from the knout and turns the to camera like a dinosaur on the flintstones. “Eh, it’s a living!”

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the worst part of TLJ wasn't the 'your mom' joke or anything like that--it was the broom-child actor's absolutely flat and unenthusiastic "woo" as he released the space-horses

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bonaventure posted:

the worst part of TLJ wasn't the 'your mom' joke or anything like that--it was the broom-child actor's absolutely flat and unenthusiastic "woo" as he released the space-horses

Now THIS is horse racing!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
try whipping; that's a good trick

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RaySmuckles posted:

try whipping; that's a good trick

:eyepop:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tiberius Christ posted:

really cool of rose and finn to save the animals but not the child slaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I mean maybe one of the droids’ previous owners was loving them, who’s to say? Just a quick memory wipe before sale and Bing Bing Bong.

I hope they wiped more than the memory!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Remember the bit in Return where the droids have a torture chamber for other droids where one droid puts hot irons on the other droids feet as it screams in anguish

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Vim Fuego posted:

:captainpop:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why did we never see R2’s extendable pulsating fleshlight arm? Missed opportunity imo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

skasion posted:

Remember the bit in Return where the droids have a torture chamber for other droids where one droid puts hot irons on the other droids feet as it screams in anguish

:lol:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

skasion posted:

Why did we never see R2’s extendable pulsating fleshlight arm? Missed opportunity imo

It'll be a major feature in Episode XXX

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

I forgot about it but now I remember. And you know, it's kinda weird.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bonaventure posted:

:wrong:

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Vim Fuego posted:

:barf:

skasion posted:

Huh. I always heard it as a scream of pleasure...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I believe the worst parts of TLJ is that it exists, and that there are people who will argue to the death that it is the best Star Wars movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXCLJp541Pw

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Now that I think about it it seems like if slaves were valuable like they implied you'd want to try to get them back and keep them in check instead of exploding their heads with a bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

skasion posted:

I'm the harmonica that immediately starts playing