Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Delsaber posted:

PEACE. NO PEACE.

oh yeah that was good but master of disguise warrants like 50 demerits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
he also has a kind of unlikable energy which is maybe not great for an actor

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Spiner isn't a good enough actor to pull off playing two or sometimes three characters at once and that happens a lot in those episodes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lol but posted:

great for this series tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBfT9H_2jM4

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

lol but posted:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

HD DAD posted:

Easy and quick Nemesis fixes:

- Lore instead of B4

- Shinzon literally just played by Patrick Stewart. Forget the “young Picard” angle and just make him regular Picard via the Romulans.
Except Shinzon has hair, as Picard did in some flashback or other (Bonus points if it's Patrick Stewart's actual 1980s wig that got flown to LA for screen tests because Paramount had a freakout at the idea of a bald captain.)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

lol but posted:

oh yeah that was good but master of disguise warrants like 50 demerits

I will never pass up an opportunity to post this, the greatest piece of IMDB trivia all time, whenever Master of Disguise is mentioned

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Powered Descent posted:

He's an extremely pure example of the evil twin. Which is fine as far as it goes, but it also means there's not very much beyond that to make him interesting.

He might impersonate the good twin, or he might try to tempt the good twin to be evil too. So he did both of those, and then there really aren't many other stories to do with him, since he's not very well fleshed out beyond "evil".

Lore works in his very first appearance when it isn't clear he's evil and Data is happy to have another android

then he never works again ever

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

You are seriously going to have to be more specific

Visionary.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Archer is Jeb Bush

Please Capt

marktheando posted:

Spiner isn't a good enough actor to pull off playing two or sometimes three characters at once and that happens a lot in those episodes.

I liked him as Soong and as Lore. The character of Lore was a bit one-note but that's more despite Spiner than because of him, I think. I always enjoyed it when he got to stretch a little bit outside of the confines of Data. Masks comes to mind. A weird episode, and not really among my favorites, but I thought he elevated it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Masks is legit one of my favorite episodes of TNG. It’s just so loving weird.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
TNG Masks is overshadowed in my mind by DS9 Dramatis Personae which did the same thing better a year earlier.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Masks is good, but it still doesn’t change the fact that Spiner was basically phoning every episode in after season 2. Season 3+ Data is so incredibly boring compared to what was clearly hinted at in the first two seasons.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Masks is great for them hurling Spiner directly into playing half a dozen roles while saying "it's a Picard episode, Brent, you'll barely be there"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Masks is weird because the ending is written like this was a Data episode, but Data as a character is barely in it, it’s just a Spiner episode. The lead character is Picard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"theme song roundup" hasn't really touched on the Disco theme song.

I liked it a lot. The opening reminds me a lot of TNG, and it's not too epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0MFmhCS08A

e: also I didn't realize Jeff Russo also did the score for the Fargo TV show

This sucks. There's no theme, it's just a bunch of chords that occasionally wander into a minor key.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Archer getting his captaincy mainly through nepotism also felt pretty real. Especially once you meet Erika Hernandez who's better in every possible way than Archer but had to wait like four years to get her ship.

She is loving incredible tbh.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I do like the motif at 1:49 a lot, I wish they had made more of that instead

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brawnfire posted:

I do like the motif at 1:49 a lot, I wish they had made more of that instead

It's a near-direct lift from something but my memory is shot (thanks, brain cancer, go gently caress yourself). I think it might be the bridge of Gerudo Valley from Ocarina of Time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8GRDNU50b8

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

HD DAD posted:

- Shinzon literally just played by Patrick Stewart. Forget the “young Picard” angle and just make him regular Picard via the Romulans.

They even had a whole plot thing about how his body was breaking down, so first time I saw it, I figured, "OK, at some point he's going to rapidly age and turn into Patrick Stewart". Nope!

I mean, what the hell is the point of doing an 'evil twin' story if you're not going to have the twin be played by the same actor?!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, what the hell is the point of doing an 'evil twin' story if you're not going to have the twin be played by the same actor?!

No budget on a franchise with rapidly diminishing returns, on a movie that no one gave a poo poo about, cast included. Nemesis wound up costing like $10 million less than Insurrection after all was said and done.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Timby posted:

No budget on a franchise with rapidly diminishing returns, on a movie that no one gave a poo poo about, cast included. Nemesis wound up costing like $10 million less than Insurrection after all was said and done.

but having them both played by patstew gives you one fewer actor in the budget?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Timby posted:

It's a near-direct lift from something but my memory is shot (thanks, brain cancer, go gently caress yourself). I think it might be the bridge of Gerudo Valley from Ocarina of Time:

Wow drat, that is really close. I like it better orchestral than... what is that, midi? But either way it's a nice progression.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tunicate posted:

but having them both played by patstew gives you one fewer actor in the budget?

Not when you have to shoot every scene twice then pay for the VFX budget to merge the shots.

Edit:

Brawnfire posted:

Wow drat, that is really close. I like it better orchestral than... what is that, midi? But either way it's a nice progression.

Close. The N64 used a wavetable synthesizer. Here's a much better version that really illustrates the Gerudo / Discovery connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THdRs7grqhE

Timby fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 6, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Timby posted:

Not when you have to shoot every scene twice then pay for the VFX budget to merge the shots.

they do that for the viewscreens anyway, and it isn't like Kirk and Khan ever came face-to-face.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lawman 0 posted:

She is loving incredible tbh.

And in one of the crappy novels, it ends up being her fault the Borg exist.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tunicate posted:

they do that for the viewscreens anyway, and it isn't like Kirk and Khan ever came face-to-face.

The Wrath of Khan was literally made by the television division of Gulf + Western because it was planned to be a TV dump-off if the dailies came back bad.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Timby posted:

The Wrath of Khan was literally made by the television division of Gulf + Western because it was planned to be a TV dump-off if the dailies came back bad.

Can I have a source on this?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched some Worf/Klingon themed TNG recently. I know a lot of what Klingons say is laughably out of line with what they do, but in all of Star Trek, does anyone ever call them out on the bullshit of using cloaking devices? "A noble warrior doesn't stab his enemy in the back," and all. Meanwhile, sneak up on enemy starship and disruptor them to pieces before they know what hit them. Q'apla, y'all.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

davidspackage posted:

I watched some Worf/Klingon themed TNG recently. I know a lot of what Klingons say is laughably out of line with what they do, but in all of Star Trek, does anyone ever call them out on the bullshit of using cloaking devices? "A noble warrior doesn't stab his enemy in the back," and all. Meanwhile, sneak up on enemy starship and disruptor them to pieces before they know what hit them. Q'apla, y'all.

DS9 mentions this a few times. Worf mostly handwaves it away with something along the lines of "Once war has begun nothing is more honorable than victory". Towards the end Ezri explicitly calls out the hypocrisy and the fact that Worf's version of honor in the modern construct of the empire is total fantasy.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

davidspackage posted:

The key thing about Klingons (and what Worf himself totally doesn't understand) is that their idea of honor is "external" and not "internal". It's only bad to do a dishonorable thing if somebody catches you doing it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Easy and quick Nemesis fixes:

- Lore instead of B4

A version of Picard who was brought up to be as loyal to to Romulan ideals as Picard is to Federation ones would have been an interesting character to explore.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
You can't fix the TNG movies. They're inherently incompatible with the spirit of Star Trek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Insurrection is ridiculous compatible with Star Trek. Dumb admiral wants enterprise to gently caress with some idiots who gave up space exploration to become farmers. It's the most common episode type of the era.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Timby posted:

I know what you're going for here but this is a massive stretch

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Insurrection is ridiculous compatible with Star Trek. Dumb admiral wants enterprise to gently caress with some idiots who gave up space exploration to become farmers. It's the most common episode type of the era.

Insurrection and The Final Frontier are the only 2 ST movies I haven't seen :shobon:

The reviews for Insurrection were bad and the plot (primitive race discovers hidden federation observers) has been in at least 2 other episodes of TNG so I never bothered.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Final Frontier is worth a watch. It sucks (though I’m sure someone will defend it now that I say so) but it’s weird enough to be fun anyway.

Insurrection is not incompatible with Trek any more than First Contact or Nemesis is, but it’s less interesting than either of those movies by quite a ways. Only worth watching so you can listen to Frakes and Sirtis’ piss-take commentary track.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'd rather watch Final Frontier than any of TNG movies again, except maybe First Contact. Final Frontier is stupid but at least it's a fun stupid and not really a complete affront to the TOS cast. Kirk v God is dumb but at least is a believable situation Kirk would get into, whereas action hero Picard and purple space bazooka are just dumb and have no place at all.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Generations is fine. I mean, Kirk was wasted and there was no reason to destroy the Enterprise-D, but it's got some nice character moments, Malcolm McDowell's great, and the basic idea of the Nexus is a very TOS concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

First Contact is the best TNG movie, and its just ok to pretty good at best.

But I feel like I should re-watch generations since I haven't seen it since I was a child, I remember not thinking much of it at the time.