Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs

ReidRansom posted:

I found a Yaesu FT-897D on craigslist listed as a "shortwave" radio with zero awareness of what it was. $75. I thought maybe he meant $750 and just typo'd, but nope. 75 bucks.

:drat: :wow:

I almost dropped $700 for another IC-7000 today thinking that was a good deal..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Invictus posted:

Hah, apparently he was supposed to show up in Thor ragnarok, but they cut his appearance because it was so quick and they didn't want him to just be a throwaway cameo. So maybe that print is in reference to that.

He's one of the former champions and a statue of his head is on The Grandmaster's tower.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Why wouldn't they just call him Thorse ?

The Bloop posted:

That's Beta Ray Bill who is basically Horse Thor, yes.

An alien being who is "worthy"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I needed a quick meal before we went to a party for my fiancé's coworker tonight so I went for a slice. They had 2 and were about to throw one in the trash as it had been sitting a while. That beautiful slice of pizza is home on the counter as I ate the fresher one.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Found this nice All Clad D5 10" pan today at a St. Vincent de Paul's thrift store for a tenner. It was just a bit stained on the exterior but it all came off. Interior was perfect. It goes with my collection of thrift store cookware that looks like I only shop at Williams Sonoma.

E. Trying to fix these links

King of Bees has a new favorite as of 21:50 on May 6, 2019

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

That's a sick deal! Even a new D3 is ~$120 though I may have been looking at 12" pans.

(fake edit) nope, D3 is crazy, D5 moreso.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
Any advice for what to look for, re: thrift store cookware?

I always see pots n pans and stuff that I think look decent, but I really have no idea what I’m looking at.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i heard that the holy grail is anything Le Creuset

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

King of Bees posted:

E. Trying to fix these links

Yo say Hi to your cutie pie pupper for me tho - nice find on the pan!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Fiesta ware is cute and sometimes mildly radioactive!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

tallest crocodile posted:

I always see pots n pans and stuff that I think look decent, but I really have no idea what I’m looking at.

Just learned a few names like mauviel, all Clad for pans, Le creuset, Dru for enamel ware, Pyrex glassware, and Google the rest. Anything that seems better made than the normal stuff I'll look up. Mainly it's been luck.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

lt_kennedy posted:

Yo say Hi to your cutie pie pupper for me tho - nice find on the pan!

That's Bruce! He says hi.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

codo27 posted:

I needed a quick meal before we went to a party for my fiancé's coworker tonight so I went for a slice. They had 2 and were about to throw one in the trash as it had been sitting a while. That beautiful slice of pizza is home on the counter as I ate the fresher one.

drat your thrift stores sell pizza by the slice?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Based on the timestamp I'll confirm that may have been a drunk post

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hi I found this at a thrift shop.

It's my new favorite shirt.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

subpar anachronism posted:

Any tips on finding this stuff in the wild other than the flashlight? I'm in love with the look and story of uranium glass but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on random stuff I see on Etsy.
Light or Geiger counter are the only surefire ways unless you have an encyclopedic knowledge of glassware.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The Salvation Army closest to me finally figured out how to price t shirts. The last couple years whomever was doing it was charging $4-$5 for planet fitness and charity 5k shirts.

Now they’re all $2-$3 and seems like they’re selling a lot because I’ll go twice a week and see a ton of new stuff after 3 days.

A couple weeks ago I found 3 Harley shirts and a Daytona bike week shirt from the late 80s for $3. My girlfriend put them on depop for $30-$50 and sold one in 10 minutes and another one the next day.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Push El Burrito posted:

Hi I found this at a thrift shop.

It's my new favorite shirt.

This is rad.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

tallest crocodile posted:

I've picked up a bunch of Lodge cast iron for about $5 a piece. The big cast iron skillets go for about $50 new.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the one that got away

I help at a local church's rummage sale every year, donating stuff and helping them set up/price things since it's run by a crew of like 80 year old ladies. so I'm helping the last person dropping stuff off bring a box in and set it down, it's got some nice dishware in it. She says to be careful, it's china. I figure it's just like all the other "china" that was already on the china-centric table, generally looks "nice" but pretty worthless. But I looked inside the box and

it looked like a really nice set of dishes. I know nothing about china, but figured it would make a good mother's day gift if it wasn't worth much, and the money would also make a good mother's day gift if it was worth something. So I offered $100 for the set, which, well, for a used bunch of dishes, I thought was fair enough. Most of the other china was priced at 1-3 bucks a pop. They said they'd put them aside until the lady running the show arrived, and the very first thing she said upon seeing them was "we're not going to be selling these in the rummage sale". Turns out it's a set of Lenox china that's worth $800 apparently. So I almost stumbled into a fantastic deal but got tripped at the finish line. :v:

I did make it out of there with some other really neat things that I'll take pictures of when my phone isn't dead, including a really cool hat I found buried under the stuffed animals

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Not quite a thrift store but our library sells books for hella cheap so I got a hardcover copy of Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe for a whopping total of 50¢!! (There were a few other books I was tempted by but 50¢ was all the change I had.)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
This thing was at a thrift store and I bought it for some reason

It came with the case and manual

Cut everything down and make it into stuff like... discs. And so on. I dunno, figure out your own poo poo.

Eat off of that giant old growth tree you killed

It was also full of gas and started right up. Could have made for an exciting day at the thrift store I guess

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Cross post from the AT fishing thread

King of Bees posted:

I'm about to poo poo myself. I was checking out garage sales and found this:

Not shown: 6 orvis reels. New waders and boots. Three orvis tackle bags. A St Croix travel feather weight spin rod and Shimano reel.

Whew. 5/4/9 wt orvis rods. A 3 wt High Sierra bamboo rod.
A dozen fly boxes with probably several hundred flies of all fresh water variety. Lanyards and accessories. Complete fly tying kit with high end tools and materials in a stand. All never or barely used.

I got the whole lot from an uber-goon who is getting rid of dad's estate and gave no shits and will most likely spend the money on a lovely QP and fortnite skins. I won't say exactly how much but it was cheap. So cheap that even though I already have all the fly fishing/tying gear I could ever use I bought it anyways. I'm going to try and square trade the whole lot for camera gear. gently caress I can't believe how lucky I just got.

I cherry picked the stuff I wanted out of it and sold the rest for $1500 within a week, pocketing 1200. Once in a lifetime find!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dog Case posted:

This thing was at a thrift store and I bought it for some reason

It came with the case and manual

Cut everything down and make it into stuff like... discs. And so on. I dunno, figure out your own poo poo.

Eat off of that giant old growth tree you killed

It was also full of gas and started right up. Could have made for an exciting day at the thrift store I guess

That’s a really nice chainsaw. Good find.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TBH you can get china for cheap. I tend to look at the second-rate thrift stores. I got a full 8-place set of classy china for $30. I use it like normal plates because it's better. It was probably someone's wedding gift but sorry grandma, kids eat rear end now

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I picked up 2 warhammer sets for $2 each today. One is sealed in the box and the other one is open but never put together. On ebay they're $30-$40 and getting bids. So I figure I can get $50-$60 from someone at the local game store or trade for magic cards. Who gives a poo poo, I paid $4. They also had like 30 star trek novels, a dozen buffy novels and a magic novel.

So basically I think some nerd died or got their room cleaned out.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

dovetaile posted:

Not quite a thrift store but our library sells books for hella cheap so I got a hardcover copy of Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe for a whopping total of 50¢!! (There were a few other books I was tempted by but 50¢ was all the change I had.)

As a librarian, I can speak to that. The librarians in your area may have thought that there was little to no readership for the book in the area, which may have been donated to the library in the first place. Depending on who has donated books, a library sale can be dull and awful or a treasure cave for a small readership.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gleebster posted:

As a librarian, I can speak to that. The librarians in your area may have thought that there was little to no readership for the book in the area, which may have been donated to the library in the first place. Depending on who has donated books, a library sale can be dull and awful or a treasure cave for a small readership.

It is a wonderful treasure trove (I'm heading back tomorrow after my festival shopping). Plus only one copy of the 9/11 Commission Report!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fiesta ware is cute and sometimes mildly radioactive!

I've wanted to own some uranium orange Fiestaware since I first heard of it back in middle school. Of all my stupid dreams, this is the stupidest.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

I've wanted to own some uranium orange Fiestaware since I first heard of it back in middle school. Of all my stupid dreams, this is the stupidest.

It's okay, I've felt the same way since high school. I'm not even sure if I actually want to own the Fiestaware, or if I just want to take a Geiger counter to the thrift store.

I'd totally be down for some uranium glass, tho.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the rest of the haul, everything was sixty bucks all told

this hat was buried in a pile of stuffed animals. weird thing to be mixed in there, for sure. It's clearly a soviet hat of some sort, with Cyrillic on all the enameled pins and printed on the inside of the top of the hat. very neat pins though.

a bunch of misc stuff, a kitchenaid mixer bowl, old-fashioned hand crank mixer, old-fashioned cheese grater(specifically mozzarella probably), a weird little squirrel with a green lantern symbol who is of course apparently named "Ch'p", a big bag of fishing lures, a little nanoblock mario and dog, a handful of tiny mario figures and a not-lego spiderman

a big bag with a k'nex roller coaster in it

a copy of Where The Sidewalk Ends from 1974, some Champagne book, and The Case of Beasts

there was this big basket full of all sorts of silverware(some fancy, some not) so I bought the whole thing, I took out all the stuff that's just "normal" utensils and took a picture of the fancy stuff that was in the bottom of it. Most of these seem to be sterling silverware, whole lot of elaborate stamps printed on the undersides of a lot of them, mostly from italy and the UK it seems. I'm visiting my uncle later today and he ran an auction gallery for decades, so I'm sure he'll be able to help identify some of it if there's anything special.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Silver os trading about 15 an ounce right now. That's pretty mediocre but if that's all Sterling you probably have a couple hundred bucks worth if you wanted to scrap it.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Here's the refiner I use in the states. If anyone knows another that pays better I'd love to hear. As a comparison a pawn shop will give you around forty to sixty percent. These guys are 95 gold 90 Sterling.

https://www.midwestrefineries.com/

And they got the best website.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Cool, thanks! Guessing it's not really worth cleaning them up and selling them as is, and it's better to just scrap them?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'd ask the uncle. There's possibly some valuable ones in there. I wouldn't clean anything anyways unless you want to use it yourself. You never know with antiques.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Uncle trip report: mostly silver plated, but about 9ish pieces are sterling silver, three of which are from the mid-late 1800s and one is from 1787, he was able to eyeball most of it(and...smell some of it). He broke out the musty old silverware identification book he got from the auction house back in the day and traced it back to being made in London in august 1787 because all the sigils along the underside of it specified it to that extent, neat. Even had an identifier for the person who made that specific piece but he couldn't find it in the book, but it's rad that it's that ancient.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
That's super cool. Yeah, don't clean it. Sell it to someone who is interested in revolutionary era things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Absolutely. It was so loving fascinating watching him work, putting like 30 years of absorbed knowledge to use when he's been retired from that gig and running a horse ranch for well over a decade now. He pulled out my grandmother's antique magnifying glass and rubbed along certain spots on each piece of silverware, tested the bending strength of the metal (silver is very flexible which is why it's always at least paired with an alloy to strengthen it), pulled out an antique silver scale that weighs in Troy ounces (a copper tube with a special weight you hook silver to via a rubber band and it pulls the weight through the tube), and carefully analyzed the various runes etched into each piece using his book. He was able to name manufacturers before looking at the underside for some of them. And then you realize he had this level of ingrained knowledge not just for silverware, but all manner of antiques, from furniture to toys to tools. God knows what else that man could identify at a glance, he'd make a killing at rummage sales.

Edit: that said he's naturally old fashioned what with being a literal auctioneer for a literal auction house, so he always forgets about ebay. When I told him about the China he just scoffed and said you couldn't give even good China away nowadays, but he stopped doing his thing when ebay was still in its infancy so I can understand him not really gelling with it.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 01:40 on May 12, 2019

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
It’s kinda true about china, though - about 1% of it is worth a fart and the other 99% could be used as clay pigeons without anyone caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

the rest of the haul, everything was sixty bucks all told

this hat was buried in a pile of stuffed animals. weird thing to be mixed in there, for sure. It's clearly a soviet hat of some sort, with Cyrillic on all the enameled pins and printed on the inside of the top of the hat. very neat pins though.

If you can take clear photos of the pins, I can identify them for you. Actually, I should post my Soviet hats I got at Goodwill, too.

Captain Invictus posted:

Uncle trip report: mostly silver plated, but about 9ish pieces are sterling silver, three of which are from the mid-late 1800s and one is from 1787, he was able to eyeball most of it(and...smell some of it). He broke out the musty old silverware identification book he got from the auction house back in the day and traced it back to being made in London in august 1787 because all the sigils along the underside of it specified it to that extent, neat. Even had an identifier for the person who made that specific piece but he couldn't find it in the book, but it's rad that it's that ancient.
Sterling and plated silver have distinctly different smells. Try sniffing one of each, and if you can't tell the difference, sniff some coffee beans or grounds then wait 10-15 seconds between pieces to clear your nose. Do not clean any of the genuine pieces; nothing in that set has enough tarnish or marking to risk damaging it.