Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
lmao

quote:

This commercial was intended to be our commercial in the Big Game (you know the one). We weren't denied or rejected by anyone, it was our own decision to not run it. In the end we just couldn't take the big money risk.

Yeah man, you sure are risking alienating the fuckheads who buy "Grunt Style" clothing with that commercial. In reality they mean "we couldn't afford it" but they wanted to spin it as a political move. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I only know cause if there's a clothing company that might have something to do with the military, there's a legion of redneck farm boys wearing their gear. I forgot about GRC but it's hard to keep track.

If anyone is interested in trolling a bunch of these type of people and making money at the same time put a flag , some guns and something about warriors on a green thong.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 5, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dick Burglar posted:

lmao

Yeah man, you sure are risking alienating the fuckheads who buy "Grunt Style" clothing with that commercial. In reality they mean "we couldn't afford it" but they wanted to spin it as a political move. gently caress off.

It’s kinda nice that in this day and age those dipshits felt the need to self censor their ode to fascism and police abuse and just whine about it on their own channel instead.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

These are the recommended video YouTube give me:

I feel like the stolen valour ones are especially on point.

Also my phone tries to autocorrect stolen valour to stolen calories.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image
That bottom video is one of the best things on YouTube.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Smalltime Idiocy:
One of my guys texted me wanting to go on an exercise I knew nothing about. Turned out some dude with an indecipherable screen name had posted it on the facebook group. After mucking about for 15 minutes looking at old posts trying to work out the ex name, identity of the person who posted it (nice grunt painting avatar, tho) etc, I clicked something and realized that dude's real name showed in the URL as part of his FB account and dude was newly part of my unit's senior administration. With a certain sense of dread passed the return on to my pl sgt who sure enough hadn't heard anything about it and demanded to know the details. So yeah I've poked the sleeping dogs and killed the chillness, and I think we're all idiots.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

not my problem

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Burn it down

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Sucks to suck.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

Sucks to suck.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

not my problem

Glad I'm not signed for that

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Belongs here, too:

Powershift posted:

Who needs some inspiration for some new nightmares?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48138640

quote:

A US soldier in Hawaii was critically injured after he fell 70ft (21 metres) into one of the most active volcanoes on Earth, parks officials say.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Promote ahead of peers

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Radios were pulled daily and not really kept track of because it was lazy assholes “supervising” feckless assholes so someone slammed the stupid emergency chirp button for two day shifts straight and as far as I remember they never figured out who it was lmao.

Someone got bitch slapped more than once for pulling radio 69 though.

(I once pussed out when someone wound their hand back when I pulled 69)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Command master chief who told sailors to "clap like you're at a strip club" for Mike Pence has resigned from the Navy.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

When does he start his commentator gig at Fox?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I just re-read through all 400 pages of this thread during a slow week at work and, drat. gently caress you if you're still in rings true as always.

One thing I was reminded of recently while driving thru Toronto was how absolutely garbage the CAF procurement system was. We ended up with some legendarily bad kit, from the MKIII Combat Boot (a reject of the British Army), or the Victoria-class diesel-electric boats which have been just a comedy of errors from start to finish.

But one of the absolute worst things ever foisted among the troops was the LSVW. (Light, Service Vehicle, Wheeled).
It's essentially a copy of the Iveco VM90 which isn't a terrible truck. But in true Canadian tradition, we bought a foreign design and gave it to local suppliers to gently caress up. It's a long and storied tradition that includes companies like Bombardier, Irving and Western Star building hot garbage at the behest of politicians.

In this case, the LSVW was built by Western Star in the riding of one of our old PMs, Kim Campbell. Even though the vehicle failed all the QA and operational testing consistently. It has a top speed of 90km/h on pavement and 25km/h off-road.
It has a 2.5L turbo diesel which is...anemic, to say the least. The bed is so short that you often needed to tow a trailer to get a decent cargo capacity, which meant 90km/h for a road march was but a dream. Somehow those 115 horses are the angriest sounding fuckers in the world, the exhaust is absurdly loud for the size.
The engine was near-inaccessible, and had the fun habit of not wanting to start in cold weather. But that's ok, because they added something called a Fuel Fired Coolant Heater to heat up the engine. But the drat thing almost never worked.
They were extremely top heavy, so even if you did manage to do some off-roading, if you hit a deep rut odds are you were going for a ride. God help you if you had pax in the rear.

So we have an underpowered, unreliable, small-capacity truck with limited speed and piss-poor off-road functionality with plastic body cladding that rusts, somehow. Those are probably the best features. The worst are the brakes.
Anyone who's ever been in the CAF since the 2000s knows about LSVW brakes. They are what turn an already garbage vehicle into a joke. A touch on the brake pedals lets out an ear-piercing screech, no matter what the speed. You hit the brakes on the highway and you will see the drivers around you look with a "WTF" look from that horrible noise. No, the brakes aren't broken. They're like that by design. There is no being sneaky with this vehicle, trying to pull up onto a position at night you can hear the tiny diesel howling away and then the squeaking screeching of the brakes as you come to a sudden halt.

We had them configured as battery command posts and whenever I wasn't on a gun I'd volunteer to run the wrecker MLVW (2 1/2 ton) just to not have to drive the CP. They are universally hated by everyone I know who has ever driven them.

I recently heard one before I saw it driving downtown and talked to the driver at a red light. As the vehicles age, they get even weaker and crappier. You're lucky to hit 70km/h on the road. Transmissions pop out of gear at any abuse.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I keep this thread bookmarked in case I ever need to steal some valor.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Meanwhile the U.S. somehow got to the point where the worst thing about the Humvee is fitting into it if you're over 6'00" with all of your poo poo on. Or going uphill faster than 45mph. Thank you Canadian, for making me feel better.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Nothing made me feel like more of a dumb rear end in a top hat than getting in an up-armored Humvee that was parked on a grade and tilted to one side, then feebly struggling inside the vehicle with all my gear on and no leverage to get the loving heavy-rear end door closed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wild T posted:

Nothing made me feel like more of a dumb rear end in a top hat than getting in an up-armored Humvee that was parked on a grade and tilted to one side, then feebly struggling inside the vehicle with all my gear on and no leverage to get the loving heavy-rear end door closed.

That's a pretty funny mental image, though :toot:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oops.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

that'll buff out

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

*eye twitch intensifies*

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

As an aside: is it actually remarkable that it was carrying live ammunition? Do they usually fly without?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hyperlynx posted:

As an aside: is it actually remarkable that it was carrying live ammunition? Do they usually fly without?

Maybe it was flying through a bad neighborhood

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm just a mil aerospace nerd, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it had a pair of Sidewinders and AMRAAMs just because. IIRC -16's are the favorite for continental intercept in case of a "problem" with a commercial or private flight in US airspace. I imagine having to constantly rearm and disarm an aircraft between training missions and ready status would be a pain in the rear end. Godholio or one of the other pilot guys would know for sure.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Beach Bum posted:

I'm just a mil aerospace nerd, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it had a pair of Sidewinders and AMRAAMs just because. IIRC -16's are the favorite for continental intercept in case of a "problem" with a commercial or private flight in US airspace. I imagine having to constantly rearm and disarm an aircraft between training missions and ready status would be a pain in the rear end. Godholio or one of the other pilot guys would know for sure.

"being a pain in the rear end" is a top command concern but not in the way you think it is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why would a pilot notice or care that armourers are scrambling to reconfig the plane between sorties? They have $1599 mugs to sip from whilst nibbling at Belarusian caviar canapés during their post-briefing round of golf.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The plane needs either ammo for the gun or replacement ballast for it and (I think) flares and chaff for balance purpose.

Also isn’t the F-16 the one with the hydrazine turbine?

Generally speaking, ammo or not, you want to stay clear of plane wreckage. Fuel, hydraulic fluids, batteries, coolant, pyrotechnics... tons of poo poo you don’t want to annoy after it’s been through a plane crash.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leaded gasoline and skydrol are the new chocolate and peanut butter

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

The plane needs either ammo for the gun or replacement ballast for it and (I think) flares and chaff for balance purpose.

Generally speaking, ammo or not, you want to stay clear of plane wreckage. Fuel, hydraulic fluids, batteries, coolant, pyrotechnics... tons of poo poo you don’t want to annoy after it’s been through a plane crash.

Hydrazine fueled APU, yes.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FrozenVent posted:

Yes, it’s APU is hydrazine powered for emergencies.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Now you tell me...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

But how am I supposed to loot it then?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hyperlynx posted:

Yes. Usually CONUS flights are for training, so maybe they have fake missiles, maybe they have inert bombs, maybe they have nothing. They usually don't carry lives unless they're on a mission. I'm guessing this was a homeland defense mission or an alert jet that launched. Or it could've been a test/training mission with live weapons, but that's pretty rare and I don't think it happens in that part of the country. There are special ranges for that.

Edit: And pilots should absolutely know what's loaded on their loving jets. Just as the B-52 crew that accidentally carried nukes across the loving country a decade ago, because they half-assed their pre-flight.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Godholio posted:

Edit: And pilots should absolutely know what's loaded on their loving jets. Just as the B-52 crew that accidentally carried nukes across the loving country a decade ago, because they half-assed their pre-flight.

So assuming the nukes had to be brought back, who gets stuck with coordinating the logistics of securing the devices and bringing them back? Who has to foot the bill for the fuel and overtime for the crew manning the return trip? Is there even overtime for stuff like this? Time off in lieu of payment?

Wishful thinking by a civvie?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nystral posted:

So assuming the nukes had to be brought back, who gets stuck with coordinating the logistics of securing the devices and bringing them back? Who has to foot the bill for the fuel and overtime for the crew manning the return trip? Is there even overtime for stuff like this? Time off in lieu of payment?

Ask Mustang about all his comp time :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EBB posted:

Ask Mustang about all his comp time :laugh:

Harsh, but fair :laffo:

Nystral posted:

The most wishful. There's no such thing as overtime in the military, and comp-time isn't officially tracked anywhere/by anyone...so if someone promised it to you, a) they were lying to you b) you're never going to get it, and c) if you bring it up you'll likely get scolded about "not having heart" or guilt-tripped by someone questioning you about "why don't you care about the mission?" before getting tossed back into whatever stupid mission you were given.

In any hypothetical about the military, think of the stupidest, most asinine, counterproductive way to respond to any situation...and then assume the actual response was something that somehow managed to be even worse than what you imagined. Case in point: my commander when I was a platoon leader. We had orders from a 1-star general that we were to be off by 3 on Fridays, for Arctic Family Time (this is in AK). My boss decided to ignore this order, and then when the wives started grilling him about it, he decided his best course of action was to tell them that their husbands/his soldiers needed to get their poo poo together and stop being so lazy. This was published in a unit newsletter, and sent to everyone in the FRG (family readiness group, the wives/families club that is its own brand of Lovecraftian and Kafka-esque terror made manifest). That went over about like someone taking a dump in the punch bowl, and continued until one of the wives sent a copy of that newsletter to the 1-star general who had created this policy. For flagrantly and willingly ignoring the orders of a general and blaming it on his soldiers (which cratered morale), his punishment was...nothing, other than having our battalion commander keeping a close eye on him to release us every Friday by the specified time. Dude is now a Major at Fort Bragg, and likely sucking himself off over being ~AIRBORNE~ while the retention rate for soldiers under his command/supervision plummets to almost nothing, and nobody can figure out why. I've posted about him before in this thread, but I'm not going back to fish for those stories...I'm nearly over being angry at that dumb motherfucker for getting some of my former soldiers killed through his idiocy, but I'm not quite there yet and don't need a reminder of why I should hate this man.