Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Randarkman posted:

Didn't that show turn to poo poo immediately in season 2?

Yes. In Westworld season 1, the narrative was non linear and there was a twist but it was telegraphed enough with clues sprinkled throughout the episodes so someone could figure it. But apparently the showrunners didn't like this. They admitted they frequent reddit and really wanted to get them with the twists and didn't like that they were able to guess them for season 1.

So throughout the course of season 2, they continue to drop clues for their grand mysteries then resolve things in ways that make no sense. But even before the finale people were hopeful it would lead to something. They were wrong. Not only did the finale answer the questions in the dumbest nonsensical ways possible, it also retconned some parts of season 1 to have them be completely stupid too. The showrunners also admit that they threw in a twist for a secondary character literally on the day of shooting the scene just for the sake of it, not because it was built up at all. But at least they finally pulled a fast one on all the redditors :downs:

The lesson here is to be more concerned about tricking your fanbase on reddit rather than telling a coherent story where the narratives and plots make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't read the last like 500 pages but I want to bitch so I'm gonna bitch. This season loving sucks horribly. How many loving times do you have to fly your dragons ahead of your army with no protection straight towards your enemy and lose one before you realize how loving stupid that is? But how do you hide a loving fleet of ships from someone riding thousands of feet in the air on a god drat dragon? How do you hit a moving target with a ballista like that three times in a row, but then miss the next ten shots? Why would they stand in front of Cersei's siege weapons and archers with no protection and only like 30 dudes, and why wouldn't Cersei just kill them all then and there? None of this stupid rear end bullshit makes any loving sense.

Jon Snow really just left his direwolf without even like, a headpat? Oh, right, it'd be too expensive to have a scene where they interact, so gently caress storytelling. Bye wolf! Cya! Why did they waste our time with Missandre's story just to cut her head off? Does Danaerys really need any more reasons to be pissed off, or were they just tired of the character? The writing this season is lazy, tropey, and loving boring. It loving blows. This season sucks absolute loving balls and it's clearly rushed and crammed in because they couldn't afford more than six episodes(SOMEHOW). This poo poo loving sucks

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine traveling back in time to like, 1999 or something, and telling a typical proto-goon that one day when they are in their 20's or 30's there is gonna be a show on TV. It's gonna be a really big show with high production values watched by millions. It's gonna be about dragons, and wizards, and noble houses, and undead armies, and all that stuff in grand fantasy setting. And you know who is going to love it? Soccer moms, office workers, middle managers, and your parents. You though? You're gonna think it's lame.

I would have put down my Baldur's Gate manual (opened to the page about how THAC0 works) and tell you that sounds completely ridiculous.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

On the bright side you could then pop in your Jagged Little Pill CD and blast IT'S LIKE RAIHIAIIIIIIINNNNNN ON YOUR WEDDING DAY

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Imagine traveling back in time to like, 1999 or something, and telling a typical proto-goon that one day when they are in their 20's or 30's there is gonna be a show on TV. It's gonna be a really big show with high production values watched by millions. It's gonna be about dragons, and wizards, and noble houses, and undead armies, and all that stuff in grand fantasy setting. And you know who is going to love it? Soccer moms, office workers, middle managers, and your parents. You though? You're gonna think it's lame.

I would have put down my Baldur's Gate manual (opened to the page about how THAC0 works) and tell you that sounds completely ridiculous.

which movie won the academy award for best picture in 2004

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
1999 me would probably be weirded out by a balding old drunk hollering about dragons and incest.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes. In Westworld season 1, the narrative was non linear and there was a twist but it was telegraphed enough with clues sprinkled throughout the episodes so someone could figure it. But apparently the showrunners didn't like this. They admitted they frequent reddit and really wanted to get them with the twists and didn't like that they were able to guess them for season 1.

So throughout the course of season 2, they continue to drop clues for their grand mysteries then resolve things in ways that make no sense. But even before the finale people were hopeful it would lead to something. They were wrong. Not only did the finale answer the questions in the dumbest nonsensical ways possible, it also retconned some parts of season 1 to have them be completely stupid too. The showrunners also admit that they threw in a twist for a secondary character literally on the day of shooting the scene just for the sake of it, not because it was built up at all. But at least they finally pulled a fast one on all the redditors :downs:

The lesson here is to be more concerned about tricking your fanbase on reddit rather than telling a coherent story where the narratives and plots make sense.

I never finished watching Westworld season 2 because it was poo poo and bad. I'd quit this show if I wasn't so invested that hate-watching has become my only joy in life.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

This season sucks absolute loving balls and it's clearly rushed and crammed in because they couldn't afford more than six episodes(SOMEHOW). This poo poo loving sucks

It wasn't a matter of money, it was a matter of will on the part of cast and crew. HBO offered to do a full season, even more seasons, and spare no expense. GRRM even said "I don't know about ending it where they are, but I guess they wanted lives or something"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

80 minute episode and they couldn't even show Arya like, sneaking out of Winterfell, or saying goodbye to Sansa, or anything? She just shows up on a horse next to the Hound and they bounce.

This fairly major change in the political structure of Winterfell will never be mentioned again.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

sinnesloeschen posted:

ok but is the starbucks cup okay :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/schifty1988/status/1125846402121256960

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

lol Missandei was digitally superimposed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQV89TE8DQ&t=872s

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Anybody post this yet:

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

yes, but it's still germane

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

JB50 posted:

Anybody post this yet:

missing the dong

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

missing the dong

And all the horseshit

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Rated PG-34 posted:

missing the dong

Its Theons horse.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

empty whippet box posted:

Jon Snow really just left his direwolf without even like, a headpat? Oh, right, it'd be too expensive to have a scene where they interact, so gently caress storytelling. Bye wolf! Cya!

Beric said you lose part of yourself every time you're resurrected.

Clearly Jon lost the part of him that gave a crap about Ghost.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Another dumb scene no one seems to mention is "no I don't want to be the 3rd most powerful woman in the kingdom, being a murder hobo in shithole medieval-land ruled by familial ties is where the grrl power is at".

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Lil Peeler posted:

Making Daenerys go batshit insane would be a pretty cool and good Arc, if for no other reason than to say look women can be just as shity as men

Yeah, definitely! That'd be so cool to just see for the arc's sake. Nothing like that has ever h-

oh.... they already did it...

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Skeleton King posted:

Yeah, definitely! That'd be so cool to just see for the arc's sake. Nothing like that has ever h-

oh.... they already did it...

Although I think the idea is more that Cersie starts an rear end in a top hat and ends an rear end in a top hat, while Danaerys has been built up as a messianic figure over a decade.

I think there was a lot of potential too to have Cersie be a bit of a foil if for Sansa, had they both been written better.

Cersie — especially in the books — is constantly brought low by her own scheming and complete inability to trust others. Sansa could have been a kind of inverse of this where she sees the regency fall apart under Cersie's scheming but recognizes the strength in pitting your enemies and even friends against each other. So she winds up learning to trust her inner circle and let them handle things while simultaneously realizing that she could use her enemies to advance her own plans.

And of course this would all culminate in Littlefinger's downfall and possibly set the stage for her taking on Cersie in a kind of influence battle. But I guess we'll never know now.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

poverty goat posted:

The first 2 seasons of Game of Thrones were good too. Maybe HBO saved us all from watching Rome follow the same trajectory

Rome Season 2 suffers from some of the same "rushing to the end" problems that GOT has because HBO decided not to renew the show for a third season while the second season was still in production iirc. I almost wish the showrunners of Rome had just gone ahead with their original plan for season 2 so the series would have been consistently strong albeit unresolved, like Deadwood and Carnivale. Season 2 is still really good though, just not god tier like Season 1.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

ethanol posted:

Chernobyl is good but they skipped the part where the operators manually took out all the control rods after accidentally having inserted them all the way inducing a choked reaction which was not providing enough to power for the actual test they were doing which involved shutting off the turbines which power the water pumps but the turbines require a minimum power level at shutoff to provide the residual energy to power the pumps for one minute to power up diesel generators at which point the operators inexplicably hit the emergency shut down button (maybe realizing they had induced a extremely unsafe condition as the power level started spiking because of steam voids from operating the water pumps at a low power state) which due to a unknown design flaw combined with the choked reactor condition spiked the power for a few seconds ruptured the fuel casings and permanently jammed the control rods into almost full power position until the steam pressure exploded. The show is mainly about the liquidators and soviet conference rooms I guess
I was hoping the first part of the show would be the disaster response and they wouldn't be able to investigate the ridiculous sequence of events that caused it until the end.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Beric said you lose part of yourself every time you're resurrected.

Clearly Jon lost the part of him that gave a crap about Ghost.

I just realized how dumb Jon coming back to life actually was. They could’ve not killed him and the series would be the exact same. In the last few episodes they seemingly even forgot he was an official Stark now and kept calling him Snow.

Edit: wait am I really high or did they not legitimize him when they made him king in the North

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 8, 2019

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

I just realized how dumb Jon coming back to life actually was. They could’ve not killed him and the series would be the exact same. In the last few episodes they seemingly even forgot he was an official Stark now and kept calling him Snow.

He had to die so he could leave the nightwatch, since you join for life and your duty only ends with death.
So without dying he would have had to break his oath to go south, which the goody-two-shoes hero obviously cant do.

I am also sure grrm initially had other plans for him in the final battle besides "doing jack poo poo and shouting at a dragon"

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This is a really small thing but I think it speaks to how lazy/incompetent/provincial the writers are: why the gently caress is Tyrion "intuiting" that Brienne is a virgin? She's a loving medieval noblewoman--of course she's a virgin! And if she's not a virgin, she's going to claim to be a virgin: the shame would be to not be a virgin. They're writing these characters like they're 21st century bourgie white people. I realize that's probably why the show's successful but Christ on the Cross.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

JB50 posted:

Anybody post this yet:

Weirdly high opinion of season 5 imho.

Starks posted:

Edit: wait am I really high or did they not legitimize him when they made him king in the North

I am not going to check, but I don't think they did. There was a different scene where Stannis offered to legitimize him as Jon Stark, but Jon turned him down.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

porfiria posted:

This is a really small thing but I think it speaks to how lazy/incompetent/provincial the writers are: why the gently caress is Tyrion "intuiting" that Brienne is a virgin? She's a loving medieval noblewoman--of course she's a virgin! And if she's not a virgin, she's going to claim to be a virgin: the shame would be to not be a virgin. They're writing these characters like they're 21st century bourgie white people. I realize that's probably why the show's successful but Christ on the Cross.

Lmao it's hysterical because you're right.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm the people getting mad that a non-parliamentary monarchy isn't shown as a positive thing when the monarch in question is an insane woman who mass-murdered her way to get there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

And all the horseshit

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

She's supposed to be a golden lion but she looks like me after I tried to go from brunette to blonde after two boxes of at home dye.

Where is the 15 million an episode going? I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out there was some big money laundering scheme going on.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

maybe if they hadn't wasted so much money on horseshit like this they could afford to animate a dog

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Faustine posted:

I just watched The Terror over the weekend and it made me very mad how much GoT totally wasted Tobias Menzies. He totally owns and they gave him a dumb flop like Edmure to play.

Imagine the terror showrunners doing this season and I've made myself sad.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Especially on a show that had no issue with talking about breeding Sansa like a dog when she was what, 14? Is it supposed to just be okay if it doesn't happen or. like. what are hbo's ethics here because I don't know.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Which is super dumb. Unless you say you are a nazi you... you aren't a nazi.

I've had a couple freakouts at me and got banned from an FB group because I said Sansa should have been dead ages ago because she's a STRONG WOMEN or whatever. Except she's not. She's just an idiot who should have been dog food after popping out an heir or two.

Speaking of, I honestly wonder if she's infertile. Supposedly Ramsay slammed it to her every night but she's not pregnant? She never got pregnant? Was she taking pennyroyal the whole time? Because surely Ramsay would have noticed that poo poo and hung the maester or whatever out to dry, right? Even back then the timelines were kinda confusing and I'm still not really sure how long Sansa was in Ramsay's possession.

And if she is and the spoilers are true, does that mean Bran is going to somehow knock up someone? Because otherwise the Starks are a dead house, too.

I hope we get a Harry Potter 7 part 2 ending. "15 years later" and everyone's in bad makeup and poo poo.

E: If you want to kill a dragon, it's super not hard to kill Rhaegal during The Long Night. Have him go down a champion protecting Dany until Jorah gets there while Drogon is shaking off zombies. Or have him die protecting Jon from Viserion. Both of those give you sufficient time to not have to resurrect another ice dragon and it gives Dany more reason to yell about not being reciprocated by the north.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I hope Sansa dies in childbirth and the child also dies and she sees it so she dies in more misery than anything else.

With all the deaths in childbirth that have happened prior to the main storyline, you'd think at least one person would die during the story due to popping out a baby, but I guess not!

what the gently caress is your deal with "breeding sansa"

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

the world sure is hosed up these days...

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

chernobyl so far feels like a horror film than a historical drama but I'm sure there are more sinister meetings and phone calls to come once the fires are out

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
next weeks prediction:
after a tense confrontation in the throne room, dany and cersei strip down and start scissor-fighting. winner takes the iron throne. just 10 straight minutes of intense scissoring, one continuous take.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

poverty goat posted:

chernobyl so far feels like a horror film than a historical drama but I'm sure there are more sinister meetings and phone calls to come once the fires are out

i'm gonna start watching this tonight it looks good and I love me some jared harris

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Cersei: "LOL I'm going to kill you Missandei. You, who would die for your queen. I'm going to kill you right now. On top of this wall with no railing, the edge of which we are both standing on."

Missandei: "I, Missandei of Narth, whose hands are not tied behind my back, acknowledge that you are going to kill me here, on the edge of this wall with no railing, as we stand side by side on the edge, very high up, with nothing to prevent a fall from occurring. My Queen that I would die for and for whom I would do anything to help her win the war against you shall just have to watch as I die, here, way up high, hands not tied behind my back, as we both precariously stand on a ledge."

Cersei: :smug:
I was really hoping Missandei would make a move too.

I guess that Dany will just keep getting redder and redder-faced at getting beaten by Cersei until she turns into Joffrey and dies disgustingly.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

chernobyl has ukranian characters with british actor accents when what the show really needed was accents like tim curry from the red alert games

dasvidanya comrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Necros posted:

chernobyl has ukranian characters with british actor accents when what the show really needed was accents like tim curry from the red alert games

dasvidanya comrades

Wait, is that where the clip of Tim Curry doing a goofy Russian accent and saying something like 'I'm going the only place you cannot follow me... SPACE!' is from?!