Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

She [30s F] is mad I [25 F] lectured her kids about stealing.

Thank her for reminding you to charge her for watching her kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to cover my really noticeable tattoo in front of a kid?

I have one eyeball tattooed blue. I was in school, picking up my little sister. I removed my sunglasses because I was in the building, there was this one woman, as soon as she saw it she told me to put my sunglasses back on because she didn’t want her kid seeing this. I really thought she was joking at first. I said no and got on my phone, he was talking to other parents but I had headphones on so couldn’t hear what. Bell rang and kids came out. She immediately snatched her son by arm when he looked at me. His hand was obviously hurt. I’m not that loving intimidating. That kid smiled at me and I waved at him, he waved back. Parent called me an rear end in a top hat and left.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for threatening to cut off my son if he continues his relationship with his current girlfriend?

I know how this sounds, but hear me out.

I worked hard and made smart financial decisions so I’m now a wealthy guy. Due to this, I’ve had plenty of so called “friends or family” approach my family with ulterior motives.

The most recent case of this is my son’s current girlfriend. They are both 17. Now, this girl is clearly with him for our family’s resources but unfortunately my son, viewing her in rose colored glasses just doesn’t see it. I’ve met her family, they are an absolute disgrace and all of them are lazy deadbeats. Their parents already tried to siphon money off me several times claiming we are “family”.

This girl is an embarrassment to our family and my son deserves better. She’s already a bad influence on him, he used to be a stellar student but recently his performance has been slipping. She has repeatedly manipulated him into buying expensive things for her and her family.

If he’s really interested in dating, I’m more than willing to set him up with one of the daughters of my acquaintances. These are ambitious, talented and well mannered girls that are much more suitable for him. I’ve suggested this to him and he got angry at me.

I’ve honestly had enough, he’s being manipulated and I’m sick of it. So I proposed that I’ll cut him off when he’s 18. I told him to go ahead and tell his girlfriend that he’ll be penniless when he’s 18, let’s see how much she truly “loves” him then.

My wife thinks I’m harsh but I disagree. I didn’t work hard all my life to provide for family, only to see my son being taken advantage of by a girl who is hoping to get an easy ride.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (28F) fiance (30m) have wildly different financial risk tolerances.
It's worth noting that he makes about twice what I do, but watching him put money on unsure bets is driving me insane. He lost a few month's salary on cryptocurrency, he doesn't have a stable IRA or 401k, he doesn't save beyond a one month emergency fund, he just invests wildly. His job is also less stable than mine- he works in a startup environment.

I come from money-under-the-mattress people. I don't trust most investments, I hate debt, I have almost no risk tolerance when it comes to money. As I noted, I make a lot less than him, and I also grew up not-quite-poor but definitely not well-off either. He grew up very middle class- money was never much of an object to him.

Lmao this is the absolute worst of both worlds when it comes to investing. One person is an absolute idiot who flushes their money down a pump & dump scheme. The other will likely shoot down any investment idea that isn't a Certified Deposit. Both are bad, but the former is especially bad since she has a 20+ year retirement horizon and that is the absolute best time to go all in on stocks and choose the Aggressive Equity option in your 401k.

I have managed to talk a few people out of buying crypto and steer them toward funds. Just the biggest and most glaring flaw in the crypto market is the price volatility. You don't get gigantic price swings of hundreds or thousands of dollars unless it's a very small market with few participants. The more people trading a security the more stable the price becomes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when i started reading the dead girlfriend kiss story i assumed it would be someone in her family getting mad. drat that is an awful double whammy for that kid, but he does sound pretty strong :)

Honestly, it would've been a better story if that was what happened. Just some clueless ex-boyfriend overstepping his bounds and kissing this passed out chick and her family is like WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK YOU"RE DOING and then he flees out the window

yeah that would've been cool

CheesyDog posted:

r/sex
Disney Sexual Fantasies (Not sure how to tell SO)
u/bazookapow

whos that guy who always used to post here and probably had schizophrenia and made the artwork of naked Elsa? guess we found him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (28F) fiance (30m) have wildly different financial risk tolerances.

My fiance is a good man, with a good heart, and I love him to death. Our relationship isn't perfect, but I'm so excited to spend the rest of my life with him!

We're getting married in December, and the one major problem that keeps coming up is that he's way more willing to risk money than I am.

It's worth noting that he makes about twice what I do, but watching him put money on unsure bets is driving me insane. He lost a few month's salary on cryptocurrency, he doesn't have a stable IRA or 401k, he doesn't save beyond a one month emergency fund, he just invests wildly. His job is also less stable than mine- he works in a startup environment.

I come from money-under-the-mattress people. I don't trust most investments, I hate debt, I have almost no risk tolerance when it comes to money. As I noted, I make a lot less than him, and I also grew up not-quite-poor but definitely not well-off either. He grew up very middle class- money was never much of an object to him.

Before we decided to get married, this wasn't a major issue. It was his money, his risks. But now that we live together, and we're planning to sign a few legal documents together and build a life together, I'm really worried that the rug is going to be pulled out from underneath us if we don't have a nest egg.

Whenever I bring this up, he has a tendency to get really defensive and bring up that he earned that money, and should be able to do whatever he wants with it. That's fair, but if we're building a future I feel like I should have a say that happens. I told him that I don't feel secure without a nest egg underneath us, and he took it as though I don't trust him to provide, and all but outright accused me of being a gold digger. I don't care how much he makes! I just care that we'll be okay if something happens.

We've always been able to communicate through issues in the past, but we seem to be coming to a standstill on this one.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there any compromises I could bring up that I'm not thinking of?

tl;dr fiance and i have a good relationship, but can't seem to agree on how to handle money.

This post gave me gut roids

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Play posted:

Honestly, it would've been a better story if that was what happened. Just some clueless ex-boyfriend overstepping his bounds and kissing this passed out chick and her family is like WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU THINK YOU"RE DOING and then he flees out the window

whos that guy who always used to post here and probably had schizophrenia and made the artwork of naked Elsa? guess we found him

That goon's name was... Elsa.

:stare:
(If That was the same goon that would illustrate r/r posts we're talking about)

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

My[38m] wife [24f] of 3 years, took my daughter[14f] to visit her parents in Russia. Wife doesn’t want to come back

quote:

Like above. Sorry for ranting and any grammar errors I’ve been sitting in an airport for over almost 9 hours and making a lot of calls and had a bit to drink. Also this is a throwaway so I don’t completely dox myself.

My wife went to visit her parents who live in a small suburb outside of St. Petersburg, Russia.

My wife herself was born there, and came to the US when she was around 18 years old - when we first met. (This is NOT a mail order bride scenario or anything of the sort). I was finishing my up my post-grad, she was starting her undergrad - one thing lead to another and here we are.

As she was a student when we first met, she did not anticipate meeting me and us getting so deeply involved - so she never planned on staying in the US. It just kind of happened that way. (She entered on a F1 visa then a k1 visa now she has a green card).

Understandably, she misses her family a lot, though for the most part we’ve been extremely happy together, minus the standard few squabbles here and there.

3 years ago we had two wedding ceremonies, one in the US with my family and one in Russia with her family and a mix of my immediate family.

Until last week she hadn’t seen her family since the wedding due to her finishing up school and helping out my daughter, as I have custody.

As school wrapped up for her, and as a graduation gift, we decided it’d be a good idea for her to go visit her family for a week. She wanted to bring my daughter with her - I initially was opposed to this - but I caved and let her bring her(my daughter wanted to go)

Through her trip she hasn’t been too much in contact with me aside the occasional message on WhatsApp and photos etc. which is understandable - she’s on vacation and I don’t expect constant alerts, but I would have liked a little more of an update. My daughter has been texting me almost daily and showing me photos as well.

Yesterday morning I had texted my wife that I’d be there to pick them at the airport at the time she had told me the flight arrived. She read the message but never answered. I told my daughter the same and she never responded. I assumed they were just busy and left it at that.

I had a hellish day at work so I went right to bed so I could be up early to go get them. I wake up today stupidly without checking my app and go to the airport, the arrival time comes and I look at my phone to message them. I see about 60 messages from my daughter panicking starting nearly 15 hours ago saying that she missed her flight and doesn’t know how to get home. Confused as poo poo - she tells me my wife basically told her how to get home and then dropped her off at the airport.

Panicked I reach out to her and blow up her whatsapp. She finally answers and sends a long 3 paragraph essay on how she has missed her family so much she doesn’t want to leave them and she wants to stay longer.

Pissed off that she waited to tell me this, she left my daughter alone at an airport in another country, that I took off work to come today to get her, and how this is so last minute - I go off on her through text. She tells me off and stops answering me.

I reach out to her mom through WhatsApp (who doesn’t speak English at all) and using google translate ascertain that she wants to stay for another month for her brothers birthday party. Her mom said she didn’t know this was going on and went to the airport to go help my daughter get back safely.

Panicked I go to reach out the US consulate in Saint Petersburg only to find online it was shut down in March and the nearest is in Moscow. I reach out to the Moscow one and luckily get almost an immediate response and they were a HUGE help in getting my daughter on her correct flights. Even having someone meet her on the connecting airport to help her to the right terminal safely.

My wife still hasn’t answered me since our blow out. And her mom said she hasn’t seen or heard from her since this morning.

What the hell am I supposed to even do with this? The lack of responsibility and carelessness she showed is astronomical to me.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Play posted:

Because there's only one guy who draws Elsa naked. She's practically the only one older than 18.

Edit: apparently Anna is 18.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for threatening to cut off my son if he continues his relationship with his current girlfriend?

Im not sure those girls are interested in your son, he sounds like a loser

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to cover my really noticeable tattoo in front of a kid?

I have one eyeball tattooed blue. I was in school, picking up my little sister. I removed my sunglasses because I was in the building, there was this one woman, as soon as she saw it she told me to put my sunglasses back on because she didn’t want her kid seeing this. I really thought she was joking at first. I said no and got on my phone, he was talking to other parents but I had headphones on so couldn’t hear what. Bell rang and kids came out. She immediately snatched her son by arm when he looked at me. His hand was obviously hurt. I’m not that loving intimidating. That kid smiled at me and I waved at him, he waved back. Parent called me an rear end in a top hat and left.

That kid absolutely thought the blue eyeball tattoo was cool as hell.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

Lmao this is the absolute worst of both worlds when it comes to investing. One person is an absolute idiot who flushes their money down a pump & dump scheme. The other will likely shoot down any investment idea that isn't a Certified Deposit. Both are bad, but the former is especially bad since she has a 20+ year retirement horizon and that is the absolute best time to go all in on stocks and choose the Aggressive Equity option in your 401k.

I love you cumshitter, and I love how much you poo poo cum, you're a smart man, but all-equity is fringe imho and though it's a fool's errand to time the market, this is not the time I'd maintain a 0% cash/cash-equivalent position

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not attending my Dad's wedding, and now refusing to talk his wife?

They decided they were going to marry in Disney World Florida, bare in mind we are from the UK. At this point, I had just started my university studies, and my university had a strict attendance policy, where as 2 weeks with no absence lead to automatic withdrawal from your course. I then decided, with upcoming coursework and exams, I would not be attending as one of her bridesmaids.

I had a very civil conversation with my dad, and he understood my reasonings, and assured me it was a very mature decision for me to make.

She started ignoring me, basically dismissing my attendance in a room. I started paying rent for food, and she'd cook me dinner, but that was it.

About a year into this,I had got home from university, she slammed the bathroom door closed, and shouted something like "ugh what disgusting humans". A few minutes later, she posted on Facebook "I have to live with some of the most disgusting people ever.. I wish it was just me and my husband" I LOST THE PLOT. I packed a bag, called my aunt and asked if I could come stay for a couple days. I text my dad, told him what she had said on Facebook, and I concluded it must have been about me because I was the only one home with her at this point.

He asked me to come home, I said I was going to stay here until Sunday night,, but he best be assured I was livid at this point and didn't want to see her smug face. He spoke to her this weekend, and said it wasn't about me, it was about a colleague at work, and she is sorry. I didn't for a second believe this at all, because why would she apologize to me for something that supposedly wasn't about me in the first place. He then asked if we'd agree to a sit down and chat to sort things out, I said no and went about my life again.

My boss asked why we didn't talk (she was a friend too)and convinced me to extend an olive branch, a truce essentially, and so I did. Her birthday was coming up, so I decided to buy her a present. I got her a card, a present I KNEW she would like, and set about my plan. I walked up to her while she was on her desk, I said the words "Happy Birthday, I have a present for you" and the ignorant being she is, did NOT even turn around to take the present from me, she simply said "Just leave it there" and kept working. I was MAD. I dropped the present on that table and to this day I refuse to make an effort with her anymore. She out right ignored my attempt at a truce and I concluded she must be the person with a stick up her arse. I was 20 at this point, I was an adult, but this woman was 35, being so ignorant to her step-daughter. I was mature enough to make an effort and she threw it in my face.

The only thing that makes some sense is that she is upset I didn't go to the wedding, but it doesn't mean I didn't approve of it.

AITA for doing this?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting to be “twinning” with my partner?

Bit of a back story. My partner and I (both female) just moved in together and already have a pretty similar sense of style (skinny pants and hoodies/t shirt), she has about triple the amount of clothes that I do, plenty of options.

So when we first moved in together we were getting ready to leave for sports, I put on a shirt and leggings, leave the room and about 2 mins later she walks out wearing the same thing, same colours for both top and bottoms. We laugh it off, take a funny snap and go on our way.

It then happens 2 or 3 more times, it starts to bug me. I’m okay having a similar style, but I don’t want to look the exact same every time we leave the house. I speak with her about it, she doesn’t seem to have an issue but I let her know it bugs me (and usually end up changing).

This morning, I had just bought a new top. A colour new to me, which she has 2 tops in. Out of her 40 other options. I get dressed and jokingly say “this is what I’m wearing, hope you don’t accidentally put on the same thing!” Laugh, and leave the room. I’m getting things done in the kitchen, we’re running late and need to leave ASAP to get to work. I turn around, she has on the EXACT same thing. Jeans and the coloured top.

AITA for getting upset and having a silent ride to work?

Edit: I’ve spoken to her in the past and she is well aware of how much it bugs me. I had explained to her that I wanted to have my own style and don’t like looking too similar to someone else I’m hanging/going to be seen with, even with my friends.

Edit #2: I think I’ve come to realize that it’s less about the clothes and more about the fact she’s not respecting my feelings after I’ve already spoken to her about it bugging me

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It really bothers me that so many young girls get knocked up and think having the kid is a good idea. There’s so much information to the contrary, and it’s a decision that ruins multiple people’s lives for years and years. And even if you do everything right as a parent, there’s no actual cure for stupid.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Today on /r/legaladvice: A responsible driver who will definitely not get themselves or someone else killed.

Texas - Transportation codes - Sec. 547.603 Windshield Wipers Required

quote:

Short story.

I use rainX. I have been using rainX for 15 years of my 30 year life on my cars. Never use the blades. Through hurricanes, hail storms, sideways texas rain, everything. Yet my car always fails inspection due to the wiper blades and i am always pissed cause i have to buy new ones since the old ones are dry rotting and "don't function".

I decided to look up the law and found it. I feel i am controlling the rainX by applying it. And it clears moisture from the windshield. I keep rainX applied and it is always in good working order.

What would be the best way to try and fight this during an inspection? I figured the worst part going for me is the title of the law. That word "wipers" is listed in the title itself.

Sec. 547.603 Windshield Wipers Required

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device that is operated or controlled by the operator of the vehicle and that cleans moisture from the windshield. The device shall be maintained in good working condition.

https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._transp._code_section_547.603

quote:

edit:

I feel people are not understanding the question. The question really is, is the title of the law part of the law? RainX satisfies the wording within the law. But if you count the title of the law, then it doesn't.

/edit

edit2:

User TheGrest provided a real answer.

State inspection requirements are based on another state law. So a state law makes me get it inspected. And those inspection requirements are what give me the pass/fail. Has nothing to do with the law i cited. The state law that i cited would be used if a cop gave a ticket, has nothing to do with the inspection.

Thanks

/edit

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Dazerbeams posted:

It really bothers me that so many young girls get knocked up and think having the kid is a good idea. There’s so much information to the contrary, and it’s a decision that ruins multiple people’s lives for years and years. And even if you do everything right as a parent, there’s no actual cure for stupid.

I think your frustration comes from the fact that you're actually posting from a mirror universe in relation to the rest of us. You see here in this world, woman are ostracized, harassed or worse for considering abortion. This is assuming they live somewhere where unconditional abortion is even a legal option. A state has recently been in the news because they are planning a new bill which would make it illegal to attempt to travel somewhere else to have one too.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My employer says females can’t show tattoos but males can, is this legal?

I live in Washington state and work at a fine dining restaurant. My employer made an addendum to our employee handbook that says “female managers may not show tattoos”. It specifies only that females can’t show their tattoos. This sounds like discrimination to me. We have a male bartender/manager who has full sleeve tattoos on both arms but he is openly allowed to display them. Is this legal?

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I live in Washington state and work at a fine dining restaurant. My employer made an addendum to our employee handbook that says “female managers may not show tattoos”. It specifies only that females can’t show their tattoos. This sounds like discrimination to me. We have a male bartender/manager who has full sleeve tattoos on both arms but he is openly allowed to display them. Is this legal?

According to the Constitution of the United States, everyone has the right to bare arms.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Smirking_Serpent posted:

An all-time great

https://www.theonion.com/woman-relieved-soulmate-turned-out-to-be-in-same-socioe-1819578046/

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

La Brea Carpet posted:

According to the Constitution of the United States, everyone has the right to bare arms.

:golfclap:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Well it’s because bartenders are cool see and managers are supposed to be boring jerks.

Also husband with the knocked up 16 year old step daughter isn’t the rear end in a top hat and he should just leave.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Yeesh that last line.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Haifisch posted:

Today on /r/legaladvice: A responsible driver who will definitely not get themselves or someone else killed.

Texas - Transportation codes - Sec. 547.603 Windshield Wipers Required

Ehh, I kinda get it. It’s a scam a lot of inspection places run I.e. they fail you, but hey we’ve got wipers for you for $X and we can get you passed right now! I personally have been failed on wipers, for brand new wipers that I installed on the way to the inspection place.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pick posted:

I love you cumshitter, and I love how much you poo poo cum, you're a smart man, but all-equity is fringe imho and though it's a fool's errand to time the market, this is not the time I'd maintain a 0% cash/cash-equivalent position
Investing money in a market fund is still more stable than bitcoin. Fidelity and Vanguard aren't going to suddenly go "Whoops, someone stole all of the wallets"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CannonFodder posted:

Investing money in a market fund is still more stable than bitcoin. Fidelity and Vanguard aren't going to suddenly go "Whoops, someone stole all of the wallets"

I'm all about funds, man. I just don't go for 100% equity allocations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pick posted:

Invest in equity, bonds, secured deposits, and cumshittercoin. The smallest token is a Santorum.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Having some cash on the sidelines is great but if you think bonds or alts are going to save you from the slaughter you're going to be in for a rude awakening

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Straight White Shark posted:

Having some cash on the sidelines is great but if you think bonds or alts are going to save you from the slaughter you're going to be in for a rude awakening

do not mansplain this to me

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

AITA for monitoring my girlfriend's menstrual cycle?

quote:

Long story short, I figured out that my girlfriend gets acne right before her period starts. She has great skin otherwise, so it's a telltale sign. She is not on birth control and never has been due to a contraindicated health condition.

When I start seeing that acne crop up, which it does like clockwork as she has a healthy, regular cycle of 28 days, it is a signal to me to start treating her exceptionally well in the following ways: I indulge whatever food cravings she has, I pick up the slack around the house, she gets to decide our entertainment, I don't complain when she hits our weed stash excessively, and generally create a positive environment for her by modifying my own behavior.

I do this to create an association in her mind that periods=good, essentially. I don't want her to get any ideas about getting pregnant is why I do it.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

areyoucontagious posted:

“Don’t go getting naked in front of random people, especially when I’m not there” is not a weird rule at all and is probably pretty standard in normal, healthy relationships

In weird third world puritan countries like the USA, sure. If you tried to lay down this law on your partner in just about any Northern European country you'd get dumped on the spot.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

slouch posted:

:stonklol::stonklol::stonklol:

This is seriously like a 16 on the creep'o'scale.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

slouch posted:

wtf

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Being aware of your wife's health and treating her well when she's feeling lovely is good. Doing it as some weird Pavlovian conditioning to make her not want to get pregnant because she thinks she wouldn't be pampered without a period is both incredibly stupid and creepy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Nothing humanizes your partner more than treating them like a literal dog.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

slouch posted:

Dude was in the "ha ha, weird but okay" zone until that last loving paragraph

Seriously, these loving dudes who treat women like rats in a Skinner box, what the poo poo

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The best part is that what he's actually doing is training her to think that he's a caring, respectful, responsible partner. The kind you could see as a doting, loving father.

Experiment design is very important.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

slouch posted:

It was nice until it swerved into crazy manipulation town.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Aw gently caress my gf always gets her period when the rent is due now I trained her to get euphoric from giving money to landlords aw geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

slouch posted:

:discourse:

Perfect example of why you should always finish reading these posts around 75% of the way through.