Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I loved how hosed ned got when he fought jaime on the first season, he was hobbling around for like five eps

he used a cane for his remaining time on the show lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

tino posted:

I think the show can do the heel turn better if they just put more thought into it. For example, have Euron injury Drogon's wing. Drogon can not fly high anymore and can only chicken-fly. This enrage both Dany and Drogon and they go to town with the slum session of KL and basically killdozer their way to the palace.

Also they really need some more dramatic music and closeup of Dany's crazy eyes for the heel turn.

It would probably have played better if Dany was in (what she thought was) a desperate position and lashed out trying to save herself, possibly to the point of paranoia. Instead she's triumphant and comes down hard on people who are no threat to her, when most of her hosed-up actions beforehand were against proper enemies.

A Dany who's become too pragmatically ruthless to govern in time of peace is a lot more believable that one that goes "burn it all down, they all need to pay just because" in the span of one episode.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Theory: Jon hasn't done poo poo for several seasons because he never got resurrected and is a ghost now. Dany having elaborate fantasies about loving her deceased nephew is part of her descent into madness.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

She was angry because they killed her interpreter servant lady right? How was she important, how did Cersei know she was important or even who she is? I mean she was practically still a slave.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Seasons 1-8 (Episode 3): *Danerys normal*

Season 8, Episode 4: "Woah guys, what if Danerys went crazy?!"

Season 8, Episode 5: *Danerys goes crazy*

This is good writing.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

A Handed Missus posted:

I'd prefer if it was Limmy

Kill. Dwarf.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Randarkman posted:

She was angry because they killed her interpreter servant lady right? How was she important, how did Cersei know she was important or even who she is? I mean she was practically still a slave.

Jon not wanting to bang her anymore is what pushed her over the edge.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

her dusty vagina drove her crazy?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Remember how George got smarter and Elaine got dumber? Dany get's crazier!

-Current State of Season 8

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

YaketySass posted:

It would probably have played better if Dany was in (what she thought was) a desperate position and lashed out trying to save herself, possibly to the point of paranoia. Instead she's triumphant and comes down hard on people who are no threat to her, when most of her hosed-up actions beforehand were against proper enemies.

A Dany who's become too pragmatically ruthless to govern in time of peace is a lot more believable that one that goes "burn it all down, they all need to pay just because" in the span of one episode.

yeah a good version of this show would have her use the dragon as a last resort. Maybe she gets under siege at Dragonstone or something dumb. Her armies get overrun and she just takes off and heads straight for Cersei.

She burns up Cersei and she's happy because she's just defeated The Evil Queen. She lands and realizes she's just killed like a thousand people even though she was only aiming for the scorpions or whatever. Everyone runs away from her in total fear, Jon pulls back the Northmen, etc.

Because you're right, I can believe that she would do anything to win the war, that she would rationalize civilian casualties as an acceptable price to get Cersei. It's harder to believe she would ignore Cersei in favor of incinerating random families. At least not in this episode. Maybe in the next or in a mythical episode 7 or 8.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

This show sucks

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Also all of your plot ideas and how the show could be better suck too

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I think Dany realized she would never understand Westeros or be accepted as its leader so she went immediately broke brained and killed everyone.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

This was a fuckin great episode that suffered from not being set up properly by other, shittier episodes.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
All of this Rome-talk made me watch some Rome-clips, and i can say with a straight face that this scene is better than all of GoT combined:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kac4T-9HkPI&t=293s

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Also I did enjoy that the golden company was completely useless. Essos always hypes their poo poo like it has to be the best but it’s always bullshit.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

All of this Rome-talk made me watch some Rome-clips, and i can say with a straight face that this scene is better than all of GoT combined:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kac4T-9HkPI&t=293s

For all the problems caused by the cancellation and resultant crunching of like 4 seasons of planned plot into 1 season, there's still a whole lot of good stuff about season 2 of Rome.

Mark Antony is really the thing that holds season 2 together despite its flaws. I also think Octavian was pretty decent as well (though I at first missed the guy who played him as a kid, who was really good), came across as a pretty cold, calculating and ruthless sort of guy.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 13, 2019

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
It’s a bummer Rome didn’t get to do the whole Julio-Claudian dynasty and maybe end with the Year of the Four Emperors.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it would have owned if Cersei had actually sent troops to help Winterfell and turned good somehow and Dany ended up burning the city anyway

This would have required proper writing.

You see, the alternative way they could have done this, is that at the night king battle everything is going to poo poo. Pretty much the entire army is dead, major characters killed off (Theon, Sam, Brienne etc), one dragon dead etc. Just when it looks like all is lost Cersei turns up with her much more organised army and routs them long enough that Arya gets in and kills the Night King. They beat the undead and Cersei looks like the hero. Really Cersei is only doing this because A: Jaime is there and B: Because it's the easiest loving chess move in the book and makes her look amazing to the realm and Houses combined.

Aftermath, funeral blah blah and the war council - Dany is all bend-the-knee and looking increasingly irrational. Cersei has pretty much the people and all major Houses on her side, so she refuses to relinquish it. Dany looks increasingly on her own, doubling her irrationality and immaturity in regard to the game, threatening to burn down everyone and everything, Vary's and Tyrion finding it difficult to control her brat temper. Cersei meets with Sansa and agrees a truce - after all Cersei knows that Sansa didn't kill her son now and therefore doesn't have any real reason to hate her other than her being from the north etc etc. They agree that Dany isn't good and that there was a good loving reason Sansa's father and Cersei's husband kicked their family out in the first place. Meanwhile Cersei catches wind from Qyburn, her brother and Vary's (who is increasingly wary of Dany) that Jon might potentially be the true heir to the throne.

A truce is agreed. Dany goes batshit insane, threatens to burn them all, storms off with her dragon (because again she's utterly poo poo at playing the game). Cersei/Sansa agree to defend Kings Landing. Jon is conflicted because of his family, but ultimately decides he's actually a Targeryen (and enjoys getting laid), heads off with Dany. Suddenly Cersei is the good guy, but of course the whole point of the series is that there are no good guys.

The end is the same, Dany burns down everything to poo poo, Cersei and Jaime die (Jaime seeing her for what she really is and not for what she's pretending to be), etc etc, until eventually Jon concludes that Cersei/Sansa were right and he betrays Dany. He takes the throne unwillingly, but with the temperance of a Stark should at least make a better leader. Tyrion and Sansa remain married, thus tying the two Houses, Arya and Gendry get married, tying the other two. End of story.

Hmm? Yes i'll have a side of fries with that please.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s a bummer Rome didn’t get to do the whole Julio-Claudian dynasty and maybe end with the Year of the Four Emperors.

I mean if they ever revive Rome, starting with maybe the end of Caligula's reign and Claudius becoming emperor in episode 2 or 3 of the first season might be a way to start that thing off.

It bears mentioning that the Roman Empire really was dealt a pretty rotten hand when Augustus never quite managed to put together a proper succession principle (what with his preferred heirs dying all the time) and never really seems to have properly communicated to anyone else or legislated anything so his eventual successors could put together something. The whole denying the republic had ever ended and pretending he was just a respected, pious and responsible citizen never really worked for anyone but him.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 13, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Seasons 1-8 (Episode 3): *Danerys normal*

Season 8, Episode 4: "Woah guys, what if Danerys went crazy?!"

Season 8, Episode 5: *Danerys goes crazy*

This is good writing.

Tbh of all the things telegraphed, it's Dany going full evil.

Jon should have just hosed his aunt again

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think the show was written so that people could talk about it for a week and come up with nice theories, so they can make the characters pull some nonsensical poo poo and ~surprise~ everyone

It's like it's written by a couple of suits who have spent the last few years looking at trending metrics or whatever between episodes instead of coming up with plausible scenarios

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Randarkman posted:

I mean if they ever revive Rome, starting with maybe the end of Caligula's reign and Claudius becoming emperor in episode 2 or 3 of the first season might be a way to start that thing off.

I agree but man what an uphill battle. Let’s say Rome gets brought back, to restart the series they have to retread the events of I Claudius basically. Rome was amazing though so if anyone can top one of the most respected historical shows ever it’s them.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

This would have required proper writing.

Your version would have been so much better than what we got. Really, anything would be better than what we got.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Glenn Quebec posted:

lmao I forgot that on top of everything else they have Dany officially become evil when she fails to get laid.

If Confederate still happens after this it's going to be phenomenal.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Theory: Jon hasn't done poo poo for several seasons because he never got resurrected and is a ghost now. Dany having elaborate fantasies about loving her deceased nephew is part of her descent into madness.

i wish

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

YaketySass posted:

lmao I forgot that on top of everything else they have Dany officially become evil when she fails to get laid.

General Sherman vengefully decides to burn down the South because his niece won't give him the time of day

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

the scene where the golden company cummander was fleeing and grey worm put his big wet spear in his back looked trash

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why did the Hound even bring Arya with him if he was just going to try to convince her to turn around anyway?

Your post is exactly right, but for this one question, I'd say that Arya is like insurance that Cersei gets got. Imagine if Drogon gets bolted and the Golden Company successfully repels Dany's army. If the battle is lost, Arya can still kill Cersei.

The Hound's point was that Cersei was already obviously going to die at that point, and there's no point in Arya trading her life for a woman already marked for death. And he was right. If Arya follows Cersei and Jamie into the catacombs, she does what exactly? Sticks them with the pointy end as they're being crushed by rubble?

The Hound was right, and was the best character on the show. Too bad fight choreography went out the window after Season 4, because Cleganebowl sucked.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

in the finale arnold schwarzenegger will reprise his role as mr. ice king from buttman & throbbin

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Glenn Quebec posted:

Tbh of all the things telegraphed, it's Dany going full evil.

It's not that she was evil that's bad, it's how and why. Her character archetype has always been the arrogant, power hungry do-gooder, ignorant of her own incompetence and malice. Her fall could have been great, unnecessarily killing tons of people and then experiencing shock afterward. The whole ending scene of Arya stumbling around should have been Daenerys realizing she's just as evil as her enemies. Instead she just did an instant complete change of character to "lol I'm actually just an insane mass murderer, love it".

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Mercy? I'm afraid my condition has left me cold to your pleas of mercy. [freezes khaleesi and the dragon]

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

YaketySass posted:

It'll happen. D&D may look like a couple of retards to us, but in the world of film and television they're golden boys.

A Handed Missus posted:

the scene where the golden company cummander was fleeing and grey worm put his big wet spear in his back looked trash

Yes, there was a lot of very obvious green screen poo poo where you wouldn't think it would be needed. I don't know if that's to hide who is dying like with Missandei or what, but it looked very 90s.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I didn't watch this one, but I just read the synopsis, and it sounds just as dumb as I imagined it would

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

On June 8, 2018, HBO commissioned a pilot to a Game of Thrones prequel series from Goldman as showrunner and Martin as co-creator.[339] The accepted prequel will take place in the Age of Heroes, a period that begins roughly 10,000 years before the events of Game of Thrones. Notable events of that period include the foundation of powerful Houses, the Long Night when the White Walkers first descended upon Westeros, and the Andal Invasion when the Andals invaded from Essos and conquered most of Westeros.[340] Writing in a blog post in June 2018, Martin suggested The Long Night as a title for the upcoming series.[341] S. J. Clarkson will direct and executive produce the pilot, which is scheduled to begin filming in mid-2019 in Northern Ireland and other locations.[342] Naomi Watts has been cast as the female lead, playing "a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret."[343]

:eyepop:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bradzilla posted:

Arya: Spends the entirety of the series becoming a silent assassin ninja badass on a quest for revenge. Gets within inches of achieving her goals.

The Hound: "But you might die."

Arya:

and kills a mom and her daughter with her stupidity.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A Handed Missus posted:

On June 8, 2018, HBO commissioned a pilot to a Game of Thrones prequel series from Goldman as showrunner and Martin as co-creator.[339] The accepted prequel will take place in the Age of Heroes, a period that begins roughly 10,000 years before the events of Game of Thrones. Notable events of that period include the foundation of powerful Houses, the Long Night when the White Walkers first descended upon Westeros, and the Andal Invasion when the Andals invaded from Essos and conquered most of Westeros.[340] Writing in a blog post in June 2018, Martin suggested The Long Night as a title for the upcoming series.[341] S. J. Clarkson will direct and executive produce the pilot, which is scheduled to begin filming in mid-2019 in Northern Ireland and other locations.[342] Naomi Watts has been cast as the female lead, playing "a charismatic socialite hiding a dark secret."[343]

Sounds like poo poo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

A Handed Missus posted:

too bad we already know the white walkers are a bunch of chumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Who needs a Long Night when you have a Short Knife