Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Hryme posted:

The last DLC of Endless Space II is really bad. Hacking is just a chore, and the Umbral Choir is not fun to have as an AI in a game or play.

I've been having a lot of fun with the UC, mostly because of their really tall play-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Amethyst posted:

Disagree. Hands off tactical battles are the best part of ES2. Stopping the whole complex strategic layer game for a minigame is boring and annoying.
I like the concept of hands-off tactical battles but I feel like it is really poorly executed; it is a big reason why I personally cannot stay invested in ES2. For some reason every space 4x game insists on having a ship designer, yet they never add anything interesting to the game. Most times I am not competent enough to play a game that is completely new to me on Easy, then the next game on Hard, then VH, then Hardest, but I could do that with Endless Space because the ship combat is so....lifeless. There is nothing to it. The 'choices' you are given for ship design are essentially meaningless, then the choices you make in combat also seem pretty meaningless, or if the decisions you make are not meaningless, the feedback you get about the choice you made and how it affected the combat is completely lacking. I dont even feel like we can call ES2's combat 'tactical' because there really arent any tactics to it - the ships always fly in one of 2 or 3 manners and randomly explode. The ship designer in Stellaris is worse and less graceful but the ship design choices are actually much more interesting because of your ability to specialize damage types with weapons that have clear roles; you can build fleets with a gimmick. Which is damning faint praise, because Stellaris combat mechanics suck, too.

ES2 has a ship designer because its what people want. Its what was in Masters of Orion 2. But the combat isnt tactical at all... in MoO2 I could make a fast, short range, broadside ship that doesnt pay the extra cost/space for turrets, or I could make a slow, long range, ship with a bunch of turrets. I could then play out the tactical battle to ensure that my ships performed in combat for the role they were designed for. No one in the industry has replicated the ability to do this that I am aware of. In ES2 you just kinda pick cards at random and hope something good happens? I could be completely misunderstanding it but considering I could break the game over my knee on Endless on my 4th or 5th playthrough it just screams to me that your choices in ship design and combat just dont matter.

For ES2 let me make interesting design choices then pick an actual clear tactical choice for my ship to perform in combat. I dont need to have control myself, just let me say "this is a missileboat; stay at range and launch large volleys of missiles" or "this is a torpedo boat; get close and launch precision torpedo volleys at vulnerable ships" or so on and so forth. But ships dont have roles, they just do whatever you configure them to do then do whatever tactic you chose in combat, and the combat tactics do not really seem to allow you to draw on the strengths or shield the weaknesses of your ships at all?

edit: and I'm not trying to directly outright trash ES2 as its a problem with many games; I love ES2's aesthetic and the UI and the interesting take on empire and planetary management, but I'm a little tired of all of the half-measures taken in combat design in space 4x games these days.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 15, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: and I'm not trying to directly outright trash ES2 as its a problem with many games; I love ES2's aesthetic and the UI and the interesting take on empire and planetary management, but I'm a little tired of all of the half-measures taken in combat design in space 4x games these days.

:hmmyes:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Seems like the devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't with the combat systems. On the same page we have people complaining how they hate the tactical combat in a combat game and always press 'skip', while another person wants to have deep tactics and hates the lack of interactivity. But EL's not good enough, because it's not in space or something?

I liked EL's tactics system, and only skipped it for obvious stomps. I can understand people who skipped it, but then when I hear of people who also skip combat in stuff like AoW3, I think why are you even playing this game? There's just no winning for the devs.

It's also very late and I think I'm rambling a bit.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I like EL's tactical combat too, I think tho that it's a bit untenable in MP for most people.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
As to endless space’s combat, even if I watch it I find it too useless as a source of useful feedback on tactics or design.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Tactical combat in 4X games usually sucks and I don't believe MoO2 was any better. Amplitude making steps to get away from it is good and I agree they should go further.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
You monster. Soon everything will be as bland as galciv and stellaris.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Better that than entire second games hidden inside the first game like a turd inside a Russian doll.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serephina posted:

Seems like the devs are damned if they do, damned if they don't with the combat systems. On the same page we have people complaining how they hate the tactical combat in a combat game and always press 'skip', while another person wants to have deep tactics and hates the lack of interactivity. But EL's not good enough, because it's not in space or something?

I liked EL's tactics system, and only skipped it for obvious stomps. I can understand people who skipped it, but then when I hear of people who also skip combat in stuff like AoW3, I think why are you even playing this game? There's just no winning for the devs.

It's also very late and I think I'm rambling a bit.
Yeah, it is not an easy problem to solve and I am definitely not the one to do it. I've been playing a lot of Warhammer Total War lately and I like that you can autoresolve but it often has way worse results than if you fight it out yourself, which is a big problem with having tactical combat, but being able to skip because I feel like it often forces me to play it out. And making it too easy to autoresolve means its like cheating or having an unfair advantage. Its a lovely situation for developers in this genre to be in and I would be singing a different tune if they had an out and just werent taking it, but it seems like there is just no good out.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Tulip posted:

Penumbra isn't a great DLC, but it's a much better one than Shadows.
I've only played base EL. What are considered the essential dlcs?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

I quit when I managed to assimilate a minor faction, only to have them instantly disappear from the map. I don't want to be a force for blandness in the galaxy.

The umbral chior just suck man. They suck to play as and they super suck to play against. They operate on an entirely separate map, what's the point?

They don't even make sense thematically. What exactly are they doing when they "hack" an entirely unpopulated system, anyway?

E: I agree with the poster who thinks the ship designers shouldn't be there. it's a vestigial legacy feature from Alpha Centauri, and even the lead designer of AC said that it was a failed feature.

When every faction can design their own units they lose flavor. Just design the ships for me please and let each faction have proper strengths and weaknesses.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 16, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The unit designer in EL made more sense anyway, you had a few weapon choices per unit and even then they had different versions that all boiled down to "the damage one", "the fast one" and "the one that doesn't use a strategic resource".

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

LordSloth posted:

As to endless space’s combat, even if I watch it I find it too useless as a source of useful feedback on tactics or design.

There is a switch you can hit on the post-battle screen that shows how many hits each fleet landed on the other, and how many missed or where deflected by shields, and so on. It's something, at least!

Amethyst posted:

The umbral chior just suck man. They suck to play as and they super suck to play against. They operate on an entirely separate map, what's the point?

I think the Unfallen are my favourite race/opponent for the same reason. I like the little puzzle of working out which systems to Vine (or which Vine nodes to capture). Plus the Vines help get around the usual space 4x issue of the map feeling sort of, I don't know, insubstantial-- like in civ or whatever, your monkey brain is great at remembering "these are the fertile plains, this is the awful desert, this is the strategic mountain pass." Space games are going to struggle to replicate that hook.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Amethyst posted:

I've only played base EL. What are considered the essential dlcs?

None. The game is very complete in base form.

If you feel a need to buy DLC, I say Echoes of Auriga.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tulip posted:

None. The game is very complete in base form.

If you feel a need to buy DLC, I say Echoes of Auriga.

Turns out I actually own all of the dlcs except the last two majors, somehow. Buying every stupid bundle without a second of thought is cool

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I would recommend Shifters as the one content one to grab. It gives you something to do in winter besides hit end turn

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Amethyst posted:

Turns out I actually own all of the dlcs except the last two majors, somehow. Buying every stupid bundle without a second of thought is cool

Defiance Industries posted:

I would recommend Shifters as the one content one to grab. It gives you something to do in winter besides hit end turn

Shifters isn't bad tbh.

Since you already have them I'm going to go a step further and say probably play at least a game (like, not necessarily to completion but like 30+ turns) with all or nearly all disabled. Tempest and Shadows in particular add a lot of mechanical complexity that should not be part of your assumed lexicon of "base game."

Most Amplitude expansion/DLC stuff is "yes and" sort of DLC, so it can turn into an unstable tower of confusion pretty fast.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kaustik posted:

Turn off Pirates to have AI go up 2 difficulties without benefiting from their cheat codes. Weak AI lose a lot of momentum due to early pirate spawns.

I'm going to try this out right now and report back.

This time I'm going to make sure there are absolutely no Cravers around, the depletion mechanic is really annoying

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Pirates are boring anyway. It's like ridding yourself of fleas.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't like pirates because they interfere with my ability to play with 0 investment in military.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The game UI isn't built around maintaining a billion tiny anti-pirate patrol fleets to play pirate whack a mole with. It's laborious busywork

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It isn't built around maintining lovely scout fleets either. I wish scouting would be abstracted away and systems are auto-revealed over time. Might be a cool mod

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So I played my Normal no-pirate unique-galaxy eight-competitor game yesterday. Most of the AI players were poo poo as usual, but there was a really strong Riftborn civ right next to me that culture-converted two of my systems before I gave up (their alliance was too strong to fight). I don't know if it was due to the settings, maybe Riftborn are always good.

e: does anyone else have the bug (?) where the AI sends you a message telling you that it's declaring war on you, but then you're not actually at war?

All the diplo spam is super loving annoying too, if I didn't want an alliance with you last turn I probably don't want one this turn, and if I did I would just ask myself. You don't have to send a proposal every single turn. It's bizarre considering how good the interface is for almost every other aspect, and it honestly saps my will to keep playing during the late game.

The AI also loves to make insane demands of you as you're besieging their last planet and despite the war pressure being 100% in your favor.

Is there a mod that fixes the diplomacy in this game?

e2: I also avoid joining alliances since your 'allies' will randomly decide to end wars even when you were the one to start it.

Why is the diplomacy so broken and nonsensical when almost everything else about the game is so good?

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 20, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phlegmish posted:

So I played my Normal no-pirate unique-galaxy eight-competitor game yesterday. Most of the AI players were poo poo as usual, but there was a really strong Riftborn civ right next to me that culture-converted two of my systems before I gave up (their alliance was too strong to fight). I don't know if it was due to the settings, maybe Riftborn are always good.

e: does anyone else have the bug (?) where the AI sends you a message telling you that it's declaring war on you, but then you're not actually at war?

All the diplo spam is super loving annoying too, if I didn't want an alliance with you last turn I probably don't want one this turn, and if I did I would just ask myself. You don't have to send a proposal every single turn. It's bizarre considering how good the interface is for almost every other aspect, and it honestly saps my will to keep playing during the late game.

The AI also loves to make insane demands of you as you're besieging their last planet and despite the war pressure being 100% in your favor.

Is there a mod that fixes the diplomacy in this game?

e2: I also avoid joining alliances since your 'allies' will randomly decide to end wars even when you were the one to start it.

Why is the diplomacy so broken and nonsensical when almost everything else about the game is so good?

The devs said something about the alliance war issue being impossible to fix due to how the ai processes turns, but it was an offhand comment on the game forums and I can't find it now.

Anyway, it's really annoying. Diplomacy has just the right amount of inertia up until the first alliance forms, at which point everything goes out the window. I suspect they were aiming for a tradeoff- alliances give you strength at the cost of having control over your own diplomacy- but I feel sure there are better ways of implementing this core idea than what we ended up with.
I'm also trying a Hissho no-pirates game at present, and two of the AI have very respectable scores. And I'm enjoying not having to siege down early-game pirate lairs that spawn in the middle of my trade routes.....

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 21, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I join Alliances to stay out of wars (by constantly shutting down my ally's wars) and then when I've reached a victory condition I drop out of the Alliance and win on my own.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aaggh, hacking really is the most garbage system. I decided to give it another try, and am now really really regretting it.
(Behemoths, however, remain kickin rad.)

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
In my last game I boxed in the Unfallen in tiny corner during an early war, grabbing a chokepoint system with 5 large/huge habitable planets. Eventually I bribed them into liking me, made research and trade agreements, then allied with them. The friendly vine buffs are really good. I took all the really dope systems and left them the scraps.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm trying ES2 while it is free and I've gotta say its overwhelming even with tutorials. Can anyone recommend a newbie friendly resource like a let's play?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I gave ES2 a try over the free weekend and I must say I'm liking it a lot as an alternative to Stellaris. I can't seem to wrap my head around the population/ideology/voting system and my colonizing and improvements decisions boil down to "fund it" but playing space-prospector is surprisingly engaging and the hands-off combat hits a sweet spot for me.

My biggest complaint, though? Dungeon of the Endless was my first game, and I can't find hair nor hide of Gork, everyone's favorite grammar-challenged sociopath.

Heck, I'm getting close towards the end of my first game and I'm starting to doubt that I'll find hyper-intelligent pugs, as well.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Node posted:

I'm trying ES2 while it is free and I've gotta say its overwhelming even with tutorials. Can anyone recommend a newbie friendly resource like a let's play?

There are a bunch of tutorials on Amplitudes' site but I'm not sure how fun/friendly they'd be for a totally new player. The best advice I can think of is to avoid the crazier factions to start with- Hissho, Cravers, Vodyanoi, Riftborn, Unfallen.

ChickenHeart posted:

I gave ES2 a try over the free weekend and I must say I'm liking it a lot as an alternative to Stellaris. I can't seem to wrap my head around the population/ideology/voting system and my colonizing and improvements decisions boil down to "fund it" but playing space-prospector is surprisingly engaging and the hands-off combat hits a sweet spot for me.

My biggest complaint, though? Dungeon of the Endless was my first game, and I can't find hair nor hide of Gork, everyone's favorite grammar-challenged sociopath.

Heck, I'm getting close towards the end of my first game and I'm starting to doubt that I'll find hyper-intelligent pugs, as well.

You won't find pugs or Gork in ES2, sorry. Plenty of wonderful dry humour, particularly with the Sophons and Horatio.
Is there any specific population/politics stuff we can help with? I like that you can play it as an absolute min-max fest of matching populations perfectly with planets and governors... but there's enough give in the system that you can go the full RP route and beeline for a Pacifist or Ecologist Democracy and terraform your planets into tropical atolls, industry penalties be damned.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I have bad news about Gork.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kinda surprised they didn't have a Horatio in Dungeon of the Endless after that comic, haha.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

This is devastating news, as all my fond memories of piling on -speed gear and carrying the crystal at glacial speeds to victory have now been crushed by retroactive continuity.

As for population stuff, how does the relationship work between manpower, food, and planet populations? While I was in a war I noticed that some of my systems were losing population from negative food production, even with food-related improvements, decent approval ratings, and a surplus of manpower.

Is there a decent way to tell how my convoluted mess of an empire will react to political choices beyond the graphs in the Senate screen? Is "support" quantified in any way?

Are there any drawbacks to swapping populations around in the same system? What about using the spaceport (aside from the travel time)?

Does growth matter on a system with a maxed-out population? Should I be sending folks to fill slots in other systems?

Does the hangar actually do anything?

Also what's the best way to kill every Horatio I see in revengeance for murdered pugs

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ChickenHeart posted:

Are there any drawbacks to swapping populations around in the same system? What about using the spaceport (aside from the travel time)?

Does growth matter on a system with a maxed-out population? Should I be sending folks to fill slots in other systems?

Short answers: no, no, no, yes.

Slightly longer answer: I'm assuming you're even asking because you want to take advantage of like +F on Sterile and such, in which case go hogwild. Cravers however are a real pain in the dick. For optimum income, you want 1 craver per planet and the rest filled with non-cravers, but this creates a shitload of unhappiness. You also want to move Cravers off planets when they are near-depleted.

Cravers are a huge pain for micro.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

As for population stuff, how does the relationship work between manpower, food, and planet populations? While I was in a war I noticed that some of my systems were losing population from negative food production, even with food-related improvements, decent approval ratings, and a surplus of manpower.
Planetary manpower is produced as a proportion of Food production (not sure of the exact number). This is added to the system's manpower up to the maximum cap, which can be improved with improvements. Your situation seems like your system, after putting everything where it needs to go, does in fact fall short. have you tried mousing over the food income number and seeing the breakdown?

ChickenHeart posted:

Is there a decent way to tell how my convoluted mess of an empire will react to political choices beyond the graphs in the Senate screen? Is "support" quantified in any way?
Systems have a button next to the "political sensitivity" section that shows the proportions of support that system is leaning towards. At the top will be bars that show the split of votes, and each pop is one "vote", so if a system of 10 population leans 50% Industrialist then the Industrialists get 5 votes in the next election.

For what it's worth, despite being the big selling point of this game, the political stuff is neat but pretty inaccessible. There's no easy per-system breakdown of predicted votes, and the exact numbers of how the support shakes out is hidden. The game doesn't tell you how much events will swing opinions and support. That political overview screen? It shows little icons at relative sizes, instead of bars or even imaginary numbers that would give a good idea. If Amplitude revisit this mechanic again, they need to maybe drop some of the UI flair and just show us some numbers.

There's a decent overview on population and support here, which is where I got my explaination from.

quote:

Nope. Go nuts min-maxing that poo poo.

quote:

You can probably do that, but it doesn't matter afterwards, no. Adding more food helps refill manpower if you build ships there.

quote:

Ships live there and don't count as fleets for upkeep. That's it.

quote:

Also what's the best way to kill every Horatio I see in revengeance for murdered pugs
Cravers, probably.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tulip posted:

Cravers are a huge pain
fixed

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

ChickenHeart posted:

This is devastating news, as all my fond memories of piling on -speed gear and carrying the crystal at glacial speeds to victory have now been crushed by retroactive continuity.

I think a percentage of each systems food is applied to your manpower growth and the rest fills up the growth bar. Pops reduce your food output by some amount I'm not sure about on a per head basis. Manpower has no effect on growth other than the percentage of your output it takes. It's worth noting that the additional food% to manpower buildings do reduce your overall food output in the systems where they are built.

I think you can get a vague sense of how unhappy a given system will be if certain parties aren't elected by the politics bar in the lower left. If you try to glean anything from it let me know how it goes? There's a lot of hidden poo poo regarding support, just do your best.

No drawback to swapping pops around in system at all. You can mess with it as much as you want if you're looking to min-max. A couple things to be aware of with spaceports. If you send pops to a system but the system is already full or it fills up before the transport reaches them the transport ship'll just sit there in orbit until slots open up. You can use this to your advantage if you want to increase your numbers of certain pops or keep certain pops (lookin' at you cravers) down. Just be sure to send them somewhere deep in your territory cos civilian ships are free money for anyone who attacks 'em.

There's a tech in the last tier of the empire tree that converts unused food into industry on a 1:1 basis. Until then there's no benefit for that extra food. Mailing pops from full to unfull systems is probably a good practice.

The hangar does nothing but remove your ships from the starmap. Which can be nice if you aren't using them and don't want them to be vulnerable.

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 31, 2019

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

it's a shame, I love them conceptually and they're my favorite video intro, and I loved the rhythm they had in es1, but in es2 it just grinds to a halt and I regret not playing UE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ChickenHeart posted:

A thing that caught me out for ages was Colonisation- your little outposts consume a decent pile of food from your systems while they grow. There should be a little arrow symbol at the top left of the outpost's screen that lets you change which system is sacraficing its food for the outpost.

Tulip posted:

it's a shame, I love them conceptually and they're my favorite video intro, and I loved the rhythm they had in es1, but in es2 it just grinds to a halt and I regret not playing UE.

I just can't settle into the idea of depleting planets! It's a pity, because they're such an interesting faction, and a good reliable enemy in SP.