Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let me say this on Janeway's behalf. If that nonsense happened on her watch, she'd go back in time and fix that poo poo and flip a double deuce to the temporal prime directive. And she'd be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ah gently caress, the destruction of Romulus is canon now isn't it

You're saying exactly what I said 10 years ago.

10 years ago today. I saw JJTrek on May 23 2009. It lines up with an important event to me so I remember the date quite well.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Seeing Star Trek '09 was the worst experience I've ever had in a movie theater.

No, that's not a knock on the movie's quality. I actually like it. The problem is, my friends and I saw it opening night in IMAX. Theater was packed, so all we could get were front row seats. Bastards stuck me with front row, center seat.

I had my neck craned with my head near-90 degrees for the entire length of the movie. I couldn't even read the entire title slide when it appeared. All I could see was a big-rear end "AR TR." But drat did the Kelvin Timeline Constitution look amazing!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snorb posted:

No, that's not a knock on the movie's quality. I actually like it. The problem is, my friends and I saw it opening night in IMAX. Theater was packed, so all we could get were front row seats. Bastards stuck me with front row, center seat.

I had my neck craned with my head near-90 degrees for the entire length of the movie. I couldn't even read the entire title slide when it appeared. All I could see was a big-rear end "AR TR." But drat did the Kelvin Timeline Constitution look amazing!

Same thing happened to me with The Matrix Reloaded and I still wake up in a cold sweat thinking of Laurence Fishburne's pores

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
You may as well walk out if you end up in the front row of any cinema tbh.

I didn't like Romulus getting blown up by JJ for 'epic stakes' in his side movie but I guess the 24th century really did need a shake-up after Nemesis where The Federation looks unstoppable and everyone is friends.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I mean, the fall of the Empire due to some cataclysm isn't the worst idea to shake up galactic politics for drama. For me, it's just that "whoah, the sun just spontaneously blew up and everyone died in a big 'splosion" was probably the dumbest way to do it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but going that route also necessitates Spock loving off to an alternate universe forever, and Red Matter, right?

I thought we were done with the shoehorned throwbacks and new macguffins after Discovery :(

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

But... how can you make a Star Trek... without Spock?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bring back Sybok!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

She was an rear end in a top hat in Deep Space 9 ready to sell the Federation out to get an alliance with the dominion but wait I just remembered that was in a simulation nevermind.
It still cracks me up that even the Dominion knew that she was the shadiest Admiral

also yes it has been canon since ST09 that Romulus exploded, and OG Spock got stuck in the Kelvin Timeline where he died offscreen around the time of ST Beyond

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Snorb posted:

I was in South Africa on a family vacation and the only other person in the theater sat next to me and asked me questions the whole movie. Nice nigerian fellow. Really wish he'd stopped talking to me.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but going that route also necessitates Spock loving off to an alternate universe forever, and Red Matter, right?

I thought we were done with the shoehorned throwbacks and new macguffins after Discovery :(

Not like we were going to see Spock anyway since Nimoy has died, and Trek is full of amazing new science that is never mentioned again.

I wonder if they will finally use that Majel Barrett soundboard that they allegedly recorded.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

EimiYoshikawa posted:

The admiral who showed up to the Drumhead trial, then walked out in disgust?

When I was younger I thought he was getting up to take a poo poo. He looks bored, not disgusted

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

I don't want some big conspiracy type thing.

I'm hoping that he led the armada that was evacuating Romulus just in case they failed to stop the supernova. Picard ordered them to hold on a bit too long trying to evacuate as many as possible as it became clear the supernova was happening, and a bunch of ships got destroyed in the process

I'd bet the opposite. Starfleet ordered the fleet to pull out early and Jean-Luc refused (probably only his flagship stayed, be it the Enterprise or whatever... I think he was on it with Data as captain in the tie-in comic for the '09 movie?), and he 'voluntarily resigned' to avoid the whole thing being a PR disaster. Hence why it sounds like he's not exactly on the best of terms with Command.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:spock:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Me when I saw The Vineyard:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but going that route also necessitates Spock loving off to an alternate universe forever

They could always pull another copy of Spock's katra from Admiral McCoy and put it into a fresh young clone played by Ethan Peck.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
No more Spocks. We have Too Many Spocks now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Get some of his other relatives like Spikk or Spunk.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Evek posted:

No more Spocks. We have Too Many Spocks now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Picard uses warp 10 to find the sword of kahless and use it to reunite the Klingon empire.

This reads exactly like a Trek MadLibs

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The Bloop posted:

This reads exactly like a Trek MadLibs

Spock uses a Spock to Spock the Spoooooooock.

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ah gently caress, the destruction of Romulus is canon now isn't it

It'd be hilarious if they went "nah we're cancelling JJ Trek as canon even as an alternate universe"

Just say it's an alternate timeline from an alternate timeline where they failed to save Romulus.

Actually, I think they should keep the destruction of Romulus because its interesting.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

You're a few years late, he's not a mod anymore

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Powered Descent posted:

Spock uses a Spock to Spock the Spoooooooock.

Who put the Tain in the K'Ehleyr Kol Kor Kurn Kang?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Here's a wild prediction:

What caused Picard to leave Starfleet was some sort of gross mismanagement on their part that saw the Enterprise destroyed, and the entire crew (except Picard for reasons) killed. He was promoted to Admiral in absentia after retiring from Starfleet due to the incident.

Nobody from TNG except him has been announced as part of the cast :colbert:

The more I think about it, the more I think something like this is likely (although maybe not an all hands lost situation since that’s already been done recently with Lorca). Riker and Troi are off on the Titan, Data is dead and B4 is probably being studied at some facility, Worf takes a job from Martok at the end of DS9 as an ambassador or consultant of some kind, which just leaves Geordi and Crusher still onboard the Enterprise. If Picard lost one or both of them and the E in some botched mission, I can see him doubting his ability to command and leaving Starfleet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Doubting his ability to command maybe, but also potentially doubting Starfleet's commitment to peaceful exploration and diplomacy depending on what the big event is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Who put the Tain in the K'Ehleyr Kol Kor Kurn Kang?

Who put the Rom in the Romulano Nog Zekk

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Thanks! I hate it!

Why does every show have to have such vague weighty nothings of monologues?

It reminds me of an anime character saying "Is it true? Could it possibly be... that he was that person? The person who found elysium and drew that blade? The blade of legend? He drew that blade at a terrible price?"

This is basically all Christopher Nolan's fault.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Calling it now: Picard left Starfleet because he found out how they were going to withhold the cure from the Founders during the Dominion War

I mean, you guys know there's gonna be a DS9 callback or two.

Do we? Do we really know that?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the only ds9 callback will be section 31

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Picard sneaks onto Mars wearing a Morn costume that comes apart like in Total Recall

Orv
May 4, 2011

Picard sneaks onto Mars wearing a Morn costume that comes apart like in Total Recall

T-t-two drinks!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snorb posted:

This reminds me of when I went to see Rent but I could only afford a ticket to one of the folding chairs they set out in front of the front rows which were basically sitting in front of the stage. I couldn't see the whole back of the stage set, and I was getting spittle and sweat rained on me during every song they lined up in front for.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Do we? Do we really know that?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Thom12255 posted:

You may as well walk out if you end up in the front row of any cinema tbh.

I didn't like Romulus getting blown up by JJ for 'epic stakes' in his side movie but I guess the 24th century really did need a shake-up after Nemesis where The Federation looks unstoppable and everyone is friends.

ah yes. The destruction of Romulus would certainly hurt the Federation.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's a Star Trek mcguffin. We will never ever see it again no matter how much it would change the future for the better to keep it or develop it further.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
<doorbell chimes, opens. Picard looks up at this new guest>

“Admiral Necheyev! But if you’re here, who’s guarding Hades?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sir Lemming posted:

You're a few years late, he's not a mod anymore

I'm guessing the 'YAD has discovered the breaking news that "police say all pedos are Star Trek fans," an SA TVIV mod was a ST fan and a pedo, and with STP in the news Star Trek exists so they've come to shame us that we are all pedos.

It's worked, I'm totally reexamining all my life choices and am now exclusively a Star Wars fan. Goodbye TVIV. :rolleyes::

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think something like this is likely (although maybe not an all hands lost situation since that’s already been done recently with Lorca). Riker and Troi are off on the Titan, Data is dead and B4 is probably being studied at some facility, Worf takes a job from Martok at the end of DS9 as an ambassador or consultant of some kind, which just leaves Geordi and Crusher still onboard the Enterprise. If Picard lost one or both of them and the E in some botched mission, I can see him doubting his ability to command and leaving Starfleet.

Calling it now: Spiner is back in a secret role. Countdown is decanonized and B4 has a major role as Picard's retarded manservant.:v: