Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vavrek posted:

Well, at least we aren't dying of thirst.

Wait. Rest up. Stare at the river. Grow ever more sullen.

How's our crew looking anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bootcha posted:

Let's check our Diary and see if we haven't missed any hints. Perhaps even write an entry praying to our Broken Lord of Misfortune Lowtax for safe crossing.

The diary is just a place to write your own stories about the journey and read randomly generated ones.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Write "peperony and chease" into the diary

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so disappointed GrandmaParty hasn't died of dysentery yet. We must rectify the situation

Caulk and float. Hope that Grandma drowns

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D

paragon1 posted:

Write "peperony and chease" into the diary

I always found that deserts were pretty miserable no matter how much of a water supply you have. I assume it's to simulate the rest of the wagon train being less prepared compared to your group, but getting a popup every thirty seconds reminding you that people are thirsty sucks.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I assume that if we wait we'll get a message saying "Another group of emigrants built a suspension bridge."

Keeping my fingers crossed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm so disappointed GrandmaParty hasn't died of dysentery yet. We must rectify the situation

Caulk and float. Hope that Grandma drowns

I'll bury you

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

GrandmaParty posted:

I'll bury you

Oooh, what will you use to get us, skeleton power? :jerkbag:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Caulk the wagons and float

The most powerful move in all of Oregon Trail, aside from perhaps overhunting entirely out of spite.

chktshadeclaw
Feb 8, 2012
Wait for it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Despite the rain coming, waiting for two days actually makes the river decrease in depth by two feet, allowing us to cross it much easier.

Right on the other side of the river is the appropriately named Big Hill. This is one of the steepest descents along the trail, certainly the most difficult we've encountered so far.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Anchor the wagon. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Use ropes or chains.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
That actor has convinced me! Continue down the hill!

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

thiswayliesmadness posted:

:agreed:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

:emptyquote:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Anchor the wagon. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.

This

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

:bisonyes:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Throw down the anchor

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

UED Special Ops posted:

Use ropes or chains.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D

What, indeed, could possibly go wrong?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Continuing down the steepest hill we've encountered as if nothing's changed is not the best solution. Using ropes and chains gets us down safely.

This trading post was founded by Thomas "Pegleg" Smith, who amputated his own leg about 20 years prior after being shot in the knee by an Indian. After failing to start a farm, he started a trading post for the Forty-Niners and made a ton of money (to the tune of $100 a day, or roughly $3300 a day in modern money). This was a big upgrade from his last job, which was kidnapping Native American children to sell into slavery and stealing horses.

Uhhh, there's Pegleg Smith I guess. Definitely not the mountain woman actress with an edited peg leg and mustache.

Because it's so cheap relative to our current money, I buy all his water barrels for the journey ahead.

Soda Springs, ID is a city of about 3000 people now. There are hundreds of naturally carbonated springs around this area; in 1934 the city accidentally drilled into a high pressure chamber and created a geyser that was capped and is now intentionally set off every hour.

Choosing to celebrate doesn't seem to do anything except play a sound clip of everyone whooping and firing guns into the air.

We get another cutoff! The Hudspeth Cutoff was created in 1849 as a more direct route for Forty-Niners to get to California before everyone else. It saves about 25 miles at the cost of limited water supplies (which we now have barrels to counteract) and difficult ridges.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 24, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We have water now, so as long as folks in the thread can avoid recommending the most suicidal course of action each time, we should probably go for the shortcut.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Nope, I’m still not sold. Continue to Fort Hall.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I feel we should have bought wagon spares at that trading post, but let's go for the cut-off

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

chitoryu12 posted:

Because it's so cheap relative to our current money, I buy all his water barrels for the journey ahead.

Questions:

What's Saleratus?

Why is whiskey so cheap and why aren't you buying all of it?

Also, wouldn't another spare wagon tongue be a good idea, now that we've used ours?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Steeper hills means less of them, right? Go for it!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Continue to Fort Hall. I don't trust your fancy short cuts. How do we even know these water kegs work properly? Did they come with the latest software update this far out?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, hills seem to be this wagon's bane right now, so lets avoid them as much as possible. Take the road to Fort Hall.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Vavrek posted:

What's Saleratus?

It's another name for potassium bicarbonate, which was used until people switched to sodium bicarbonate. Baking soda, in other words.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fort Hall. We're going to California, remember. Unless water kegs can go bad, I think we'll need every keg we can for that leg of the trip, and more ridges mean more chances for things to go wrong.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Vavrek posted:

Why is whiskey so cheap and why aren't you buying all of it?

We're getting to the point in history where basically anyone with a farm and a grain surplus can and will distill it all into very potent alcohol. This plus no quality control or licensing means supply is high and prices are low.

Combine that fact with plenty of misery and you'll get why everyone in America at this time was pretty much constantly drunk.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

We've rolled sideways down every hill we've come across so far, therefore on to Fort Hall

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

chitoryu12 posted:

Choosing to celebrate doesn't seem to do anything except play a sound clip of everyone whooping and firing guns into the air.

It's a free one-time morale boost, which you didn't particularly need anyway.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

paragon1 posted:

We're getting to the point in history where basically anyone with a farm and a grain surplus can and will distill it all into very potent alcohol. This plus no quality control or licensing means supply is high and prices are low.

Combine that fact with plenty of misery and you'll get why everyone in America at this time was pretty much constantly drunk.

Though it's important to note that whiskey is only "cheap" because we're pretty rich right now. The average wage of a farmhand in 1850 with room and board provided was $7 to $15 a month (or a gigantic $60 a month in California), so we're carrying around more money than an average American would see in 5 or 6 years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Um, why haven't we been robbed yet? Do we keep our money in our goony socks?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

Um, why haven't we been robbed yet? Do we keep our money in our goony socks?

Because we have guns and are in a wagon train full of other people with guns, most likely.

Contrary to popular belief, the Wild West (which the Oregon Trail period is an early version of) wasn't particularly lawless or crime-prone.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Shortcuts lead to shallow graves. Road to Fort Hall.

Were workers still being paid in whiskey at this point in history?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

chitoryu12 posted:

Though it's important to note that whiskey is only "cheap" because we're pretty rich right now. The average wage of a farmhand in 1850 with room and board provided was $7 to $15 a month (or a gigantic $60 a month in California), so we're carrying around more money than an average American would see in 5 or 6 years.

True, that was a major reason for the gold rush. You had the potential to make decades of wages in a couple weeks of work.

To add some more numbers to the conversation, in 1850 the per capita consumption of alcohol in the US was about 8 liters of ethanol. Almost all of that was spirits of some kind. We're at similar levels now, but a lot more of it comes from beer

https://ourworldindata.org/alcohol-consumption

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cythereal posted:

Because we have guns and are in a wagon train full of other people with guns, most likely.

Contrary to popular belief, the Wild West (which the Oregon Trail period is an early version of) wasn't particularly lawless or crime-prone.
The Wild1 West

1 Not a significant source of wildness