Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really hope the level 80 dark knight quest is just you going back to Sidurgu and showing him you can make Fray pop out of the ground for 26 seconds at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I heard Yoshida say Renzokuken on stream, so I'm fairly certain that's Continuation.

I rewatched the Gunbreaker segment for names so that I could compare them with existing moves from Squall and Seifer.

VIII Squall:
Renzokuken (Continuation)
Rough Divide
Blasting Zone
Fated Circle

VIII Seifer:
Demon Slice
No Mercy
Bloodfest

Dissidia Squall:
Keen Edge
Brutal Shell (called Brutal Blast in NT localization, but the kana reads "Brutal Shell")
Solid Barrel
Gnashing Fang
Savage Claw

XV Gladiolus:
Royal Guard

Tactics Goblin:
Eye Gouge

New to Final Fantasy series:
Demon Slaughter
Burst Strike
Heart of Stone
Wicked Talon
Jugular Rip
Nebula (Sice had Dark Nebula in Type 0)
Superbolide

Wasn't in the compiled screenclips, but Fated Circle has a blink and you miss it eye-straining tooltip frame in there.
Seems to be an Instant, 2.40s recast, AOE 360 potency that uses a cartridge.

And Demon Slice -> Demon Slaughter is an AOE combo that loads a cartidge, so.

Anyway, as Gunbreaker ability names go, that still leaves Lion Heart, Fire Cross, and Zantetsuken Reverse on the table from VIII proper, and some more Bravery moves from the Dissidias.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 25, 2019

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

luckily for warriors there is always a bigger axe

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I suspect the reception to devs going "we noticeably simplified all the jobs because people are bad" even using a prettier choice of words would cause a shitstorm the game would never recover from. Like 99% of the time people exaggerate when they go "x would kill the game", but that particular plan would likely end FFXIV.

At least one person on reddit was freaking out over the removal of the slashing/piercing/blunt debuffs, saying that dps jobs might as well just be cosmetic skins.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

[Maybe I'm A Lion plays in the distance]

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Anything less than 25 buttons and I may as well not even be playing an mmo.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you get one job quest at 80. previously, you would get a bunch. that's what people are complaining about.

wow who broke embargo to tell you it would be exactly as long as one former job quest

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Die Sexmonster! posted:

wow who broke embargo to tell you it would be exactly as long as one former job quest

i'm explaining rationale, please don't confuse me for someone who actually gives a poo poo about quests.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
*hits level 80* Oh hey Warrior of Light, so I need you to help me keep the beast within stable.

Use the /rally emote to encourage Curious Gorge!

Wow, thank you Warrior of Light!

*quest ends*

Dezmancer
Jul 30, 2018

Oxyclean posted:

At least one person on reddit was freaking out over the removal of the slashing/piercing/blunt debuffs, saying that dps jobs might as well just be cosmetic skins.

I think that's going pretty far, but it does seem true that whenever the dev team has had taken the opportunity to improve things about a class's kit or the overall battle system, their definiton of improvement has been on emphasizes less complexity and less moving parts in favor of streamlining and simplicity (or what some players negatively term as 'dumbification').

And it's not wholly unearned. You can make adjustments to things without making them less complex, I think, and the decision to do so marks a clear design choice. In theory I sort of welcome the changes to tanks and healers, though I think the tanks would have been served just as well by taking tank stance off GCD for dark knight and paladin. I do worry about how they will maintain unique class identities in the face of these changes, and hope they don't think just having different appearances and animations will be enough.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Basically for 70-80, each role will get a quest, and then each job will get a quest at 80.

This is why I'm going to play healer and roleplay that lala that lusts for the tanks loins.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Leal posted:

*hits level 80* Oh hey Warrior of Light, so I need you to help me keep the beast within stable.

*quest ends*

oh hey i didn't know you wrote the warrior job quests

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kaubocks posted:

oh hey i didn't know you wrote the warrior job quests

oh come on, 70 was good, admit it

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Leal posted:

*quest ends*
The DRK quest on the other hand will give that "You are about to enter a really long series of cutscenes" warning, and is a 2 hour length feature film with full voice acting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I feel like I'm going to want to play at least a little of the upcoming event, but the hype machine churning in my mind won't let me play WAR anymore--even though MCH and DRK aren't changed yet and GNB doesn't technically exist :saddowns:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is the kinda thinking that just sets yourself up for disappointment

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like I'm going to want to play at least a little of the upcoming event, but the hype machine churning in my mind won't let me play WAR anymore--even though MCH and DRK aren't changed yet and GNB doesn't technically exist :saddowns:

I was gonna level the tanks to get ready for Shadowbringers but now I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna bother till it's out!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gizmo Chicken posted:

I was gonna level the tanks to get ready for Shadowbringers but now I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna bother till it's out!

Yeah that's where I'm at.

I'm unsubbed right now but if I reupped I'd probably only want to play the jobs that aren't getting major changes, and everything they're doing with tanks is a major change

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tbh i still wanna keep trying to farm at least one dog before the event starts

don't have even one :(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dezmancer posted:

In theory I sort of welcome the changes to tanks and healers, though I think the tanks would have been served just as well by taking tank stance off GCD for dark knight and paladin. I do worry about how they will maintain unique class identities in the face of these changes, and hope they don't think just having different appearances and animations will be enough.

Im the weirdo would be okay with every tank/healer having the exact same core abilities with 3-4 OGCDs that give them unique flavor.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I have to cap MCH before the expansion comes out. And wouldn't you know it, the "run MSQ roulette six hundred times" event begins next week!

:shepicide:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
honestly not a bad way to level mch, seeing as you barely have to do anything in those dungeons

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Oxyclean posted:

theres a 0% chance that person ever did any content where those debuffs mattered too

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

oh come on, 70 was good, admit it

it wasn't and i won't :colbert:

like idk i know the war questline is divisive but i really am just so tired of war being the comedy option. curious gorge was fine in 30-50, i didn't really care about war 50-60, but war 60-70 made me actively despise him. we finally got a little variety with a cool new character and he just constantly kramers onto the scene and makes the whole thing about him. it's so overdone and one-note and not interesting. and then the one new interesting character has a total 180 in character development because curious gorge needs to get his gently caress on. cool

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

like idk i know the war questline is divisive but i really am just so tired of war being the comedy option. curious gorge was fine in 30-50, i didn't really care about war 50-60, but war 60-70 made me actively despise him. we finally got a little variety with a cool new character and he just constantly kramers onto the scene and makes the whole thing about him. it's so overdone and one-note and not interesting. and then the one new interesting character has a total 180 in character development because curious gorge needs to get his gently caress on. cool

We regret to inform you that FFXIV is anime.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Lol

the whole reason they're swapping to role quests is to make less work for themselves; expecting the final quest to be a whole questline in itself doesn't make any sense

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
it is not at all unreasonable to think they could get the amount of actual content in an average job storyline into one quest without filler

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Poops Mcgoots posted:

i cannot believe nobody warned me about this until now

i am livid

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

i cannot believe nobody warned me about this until now

i am livid

to be fair your description of the writing in the 70 quest reminded me that it actually sucked

but, well, the fight was funny

so

v:shobon:v

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

it is not at all unreasonable to think they could get the amount of actual content in an average job storyline into one quest without filler
My favorite are the 50-54 BLM quests, which have no combat. They're completely pointless.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hogama posted:

And Demon Slice -> Demon Slaughter is an AOE combo that loads a cartidge, so.

Anyway, as Gunbreaker ability names go, that still leaves Lion Heart, Fire Cross, and Zantetsuken Reverse on the table from VIII proper, and some more Bravery moves from the Dissidias.

Was wondering if that cartridge in the AoE combo could be used for more AoE. GBN looks really good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kaubocks posted:

War 60-70 was a standard japanese romantic comedy and the most interesting thing about it was that I was constantly saying 'I am the khagan' in my head to all of the azim steppes culture things that the gal said/asked etc. I had fun thinking about what the quests would be like if that actually mattered for them though.
The last fight was kind of funny but it was a taste of hildebrand after like, two full course servings of it.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Romantic comedy anime follows the same formula and after you get far enough in it's just absolutely frustrating. There are other, often better flavors of anime out there :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So current thinking is that GBN is going to be as action heavy as current DRK?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Not as much dark arts probably given the ammo restrictions.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

to be fair your description of the writing in the 70 quest reminded me that it actually sucked

but, well, the fight was funny

so

v:shobon:v

don’t listen to me i main dark knight, i’m a walking meme

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

BrightWing posted:

How can you be mad at this?
Someone should crop out the background and make this a new SA smilie, because this Hrothgar is clearly loving this poo poo.

Dezmancer
Jul 30, 2018

Mordiceius posted:

Im the weirdo would be okay with every tank/healer having the exact same core abilities with 3-4 OGCDs that give them unique flavor.

Disgusting

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Stop talking about dumb stuff and get to the important poo poo

Tell me all about dancer, half of its job action trailer segment was gauge filling stuff but I need MORE INFO

Please help me Dance Forever and a Day

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So current thinking is that GBN is going to be as action heavy as current DRK?
Looks like Reddit's already compiled a speculative rotation for Gunbreaker.

quote:

POWDER GAUGE
It holds two Cartridges. You can spend Cartridge on either Gnashing Fang (See Continuation Combo), Burst Strike (Damage Skill), or Fated Circle (AoE Damage Skill).

CARTRIDGE COMBO
Used to gain Cartridge for your Powder Gauge

Keen Edge → Brutal Shell* → Solid Barrel (+Cartridge)
* Brutal Shell heals and grants a shield

CONTINUATION COMBO
Requires one Cartridge to begin this combo. If you use the combo in order, you are guaranteed a buff that lets you use an oGCD called Continuation afterwards. The buff is named after the skill that Continuation will change into (+ Ready to Rip/Tear/Gouge). Gnashing Fang has a 35s cooldown even though it is on the GCD.

GCD order
Gnashing Fang → Savage Claw → Wicked Talon (650)

GCD : oGCD pair
Gnashing Fang → Continuation (Jugular Rip)
Savage Claw → Continuation (Abdomen Tear)
Wicked Talon → Continuation (Eye Gouge)

AOE COMBO
Demon Slice [150] → Demon Slaughter [250] (+Cartridge)

DAMAGE SKILLS
Blasting Zone (oGCD)
Burst Strike (GCD): Expends Cartridge
Rough Divide (oGCD) [200]: Dash to enemy [Charge: 2]. Unable to use while bound.
Continuation: Allows firing of successive rounds with Gunblade (It's the oGCD used between GCDs in the Damage Combo). Recast: 1.00s.
Fated Circle (GCD) [360]: Expends Cartridge. AoE damage.

TANK STANCE
Royal Guard: Increases Enmity Generation. Effect ends upon reuse. Recast: 10.00s.

DEFENSIVE COOLDOWNS
Nebula: Reduces damage taken by 30% [10s]. Recast: 120s.
Heart of Stone: Reduce Damage Taken by Party Member or Self by 15% [7s]. Add Effect: If targeting a party member while Brutal Shell is up, grant them Brutal Shell effect.
Aurora: 200 Potency Regen [18s]. Recast: 60s.
Superbolide: Reduces HP to 1 + Invincible [8s]. 420s Recast.

OFFENSIVE BUFFS
No Mercy: Increase Damage by 10% [20s]. Recast: 60s.
Bloodfest: Adds 2 Cartridge to Powder Gauge. Recast: 30s.

In brief, you'll ideally be switching between your Cartridge Combo and your Continuation Combo for single target, because even though it's on the GCD, the Continuation Combo is on a 35 second cooldown of its own, so you'll have to spend some downtime reloading. Burst Strike isn't as strong a Cartridge Spender, but it's always available. The AOE rotation doesn't appear to have such limitations.

Of course, as usual, we don't have the full picture yet, but that accounts for most of the attack buttons seen on the hotbars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna be real interesting doing ddr in the middle of a boss fight