Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Rastan Beeza posted:

So which Jobs are goons most/least excited about based on just the showcase video/fanfest talk?

It's definitely made me want to try out a bunch of jobs in ShB, although I've used WAR the most, it's the one I'm most meh about to level for ShB cool factor wise.

I like my fell cleaves, but it doesn't even register on the radar compared to shadow stand.

Two words: double midare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Leofish posted:

Yeah, from the LL it sounds like they're trying to make it more like the traditional FF summoner, where you're quickly bringing different summons in and out of play. Instant egis, plus Phoenix as a new tool seems to bring that together. I wonder if swapping egis out will become part of the rotation.

I hope but the special abilities being tied to the same button makes me think that switching summons wont be something thats meant to be done constantly and its at most something you do to react to a different scenario.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Still doing PLD first. Will probably follow up with GNB/DNC to 70, then SAM/MCH and WHM/AST to get all my roles covered and then omniclass everything.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just wonder if there's going to be a tanking ultimate summon like there is for Garuda and Ifrit now and they're just holding it under wraps because they're still working on it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I primarily play Monk, so the new ability to maintain GL and GL4 is a big deal. But I am also super hyped for MCH not to suck.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I hope but the special abilities being tied to the same button makes me think that switching summons wont be something thats meant to be done constantly and its at most something you do to react to a different scenario.

Good point. It would be nice to have a bit more info, for sure. Maybe the Aetherflow abilities that generate Bahamut will be tied to pet summoning and that's how you'll fill up Bahamut and Phoenix summons. Guess we have to wait for the embargo to lift on Wednesday to know for sure. I like SMN cosmetically but I'm not 100% on its current gameplay so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

they did it, those beautiful bastards finally killed the ALC guildmaster. I'll never have to talk to that smug rear end in a top hat again. Finally.

Does he really die? His attitude made me not want to continue with the ALC questline.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/soulofrebirt/status/1131682774551867397

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:dadjoke:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leofish posted:

Good point. It would be nice to have a bit more info, for sure. Maybe the Aetherflow abilities that generate Bahamut will be tied to pet summoning and that's how you'll fill up Bahamut and Phoenix summons. Guess we have to wait for the embargo to lift on Wednesday to know for sure. I like SMN cosmetically but I'm not 100% on its current gameplay so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.
Summoner is a mess. I want to like it so badly but it's as bad as MCH. Maybe it gets better but at least at 50 it's just... not great? It seems to do a bunch of things that don't interact with each other and I never feel like the mechanics actually come together in an interesting way. The numbers are there and it's great that it works out mathematically but that doesn't make it fun for me.

Maybe it's better than I think but I almost never see SMNs and I have to assume it's because it's not that fun to play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Summoner is a mess. I want to like it so badly but it's as bad as MCH. Maybe it gets better but at least at 50 it's just... not great? It seems to do a bunch of things that don't interact with each other and I never feel like the mechanics actually come together in an interesting way. The numbers are there and it's great that it works out mathematically but that doesn't make it fun for me.

Maybe it's better than I think but I almost never see SMNs and I have to assume it's because it's not that fun to play.

I never play SMN in roulettes because I think the class only gets really fun around level 60. Under that, it feels so incomplete and boring I'd rather queue as RDM if I'm going to be dps.

I love SMN at cap, but it's a chore when scaled down to lower levels.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Many people saying this. Low energy job. Sad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
https://twitter.com/TenChiJinHeart

Follow me. Follow me straight to hell :unsmigghh:

You don't have to, but like...why not.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Ither posted:

Does he really die? His attitude made me not want to continue with the ALC questline.

No. It's just referring to 70-80 DoH quests being on the first and not dealing with any of the Eorzea people.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You are totally not wrong to say it is not great at 50, SMN really only comes into being fun starting at 60 and not below that. 70 SMN is also kind of...odd due to Demi-Bahamut as a pet.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

:yeah:

There's also a fairly significant FFXIV population on Instagram, if you're not there already. Just, uh, just watch for the catgirls using the nude mods.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The thing for me is I can look at a lot of DPS and say "okay, this is what that DPS does." Sure, some of the melee ones are pretty similar, but I can usually say "ah, this is the purpose of this class." I can't do that with SMN. It has gimmicks and things other DPS don't do (lots of DOTs, pets) but I couldn't say "ah, Summoner, this is its big gimmick." Is it about DOTs? Big bombs? Pet management? The answer to all of them is "kinda."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also Square please let me cross-class glam. The differences in class equipment aren't that great - many classes have the same pieces at different sets and levels. Just let me ignore that. You can even keep the item level requirement, since that forces players to try new glams at low levels with different classes. But there is no reason for it at this point.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

The thing for me is I can look at a lot of DPS and say "okay, this is what that DPS does." Sure, some of the melee ones are pretty similar, but I can usually say "ah, this is the purpose of this class." I can't do that with SMN. It has gimmicks and things other DPS don't do (lots of DOTs, pets) but I couldn't say "ah, Summoner, this is its big gimmick." Is it about DOTs? Big bombs? Pet management? The answer to all of them is "kinda."

Honestly the worst thing about SMN in its current iteration is that you have to wait once you have bahamut available to have aetherflow so you can max out as many ogcds as possible. like I'll never be a good summoner because i see the big blue dragon and my monkey brain wanna smash that button. Also you gotta hold onto addle to do damage which is dumb.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

SonicRulez posted:

tossed you a follow, love your screenshots!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is my favorite of my Viera designs so far.

I used Trance Kuja for inspiration, but wanted to go with the black/red hair instead of just red.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah 4.x SMN is bad, but its getting some kind of heavy rework for 5.0

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Not having to save oGCDs specifically for Bahamut sounds like it can make SMN open to better "flow", so that's cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

brand engager posted:

Yeah 4.x SMN is bad, but its getting some kind of heavy rework for 5.0
I just want it to have a clearer concept. It's so muddled right now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
it also suffers severely at lower levels. So much of your damage and utility are locked behind things you don't get till higher levels.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. I honestly like 60+ SMN but it's just so dire before that. Probably as awkward as low-level MCH is, and it's probably not a coincidence that they're the two DPS up for a major rework.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

I recently returned to this game after having never got past the mid 20s and leveled a Dragoon to 54. I've got Heavensward due to the free promotion, but not Stormblood. I just beat the base ARR story as far as I can tell (The Praetorium) and I've been picking up every blue quest I find, since it seems like they always unlock something or other. But the problem is, now I've got like 25 quests in my log and there are probably a bunch more I haven't even found, and it's kind of overwhelming. Are there any important quests I should really be looking out for? My friend told me I need to do The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen, but that's all I've really got to go on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Asimo posted:

Yeah. I honestly like 60+ SMN but it's just so dire before that. Probably as awkward as low-level MCH is, and it's probably not a coincidence that they're the two DPS up for a major rework.

I don't mind the 60/50 queues since I have *most* of the stuff that makes me work. But I refuse to do the leveling roulette on my SMN for fear I get anything below level 40.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ankle posted:

I recently returned to this game after having never got past the mid 20s and leveled a Dragoon to 54. I've got Heavensward due to the free promotion, but not Stormblood. I just beat the base ARR story as far as I can tell (The Praetorium) and I've been picking up every blue quest I find, since it seems like they always unlock something or other. But the problem is, now I've got like 25 quests in my log and there are probably a bunch more I haven't even found, and it's kind of overwhelming. Are there any important quests I should really be looking out for? My friend told me I need to do The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen, but that's all I've really got to go on.

The blue ones do all unlock stuff so do those. Rise and fall of gentlement is great, so is postmoogle. Also, make sure to do your job/class quests.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kurieg posted:

I don't mind the 60/50 queues since I have *most* of the stuff that makes me work. But I refuse to do the leveling roulette on my SMN for fear I get anything below level 40.

Below 40? Anything below 50 locks out Enkindle and Shadow Flare, leaving you with Bane, pet AoE, and a 30 potency Tri-Bind for dealing with groups.

I really wish they would bump the sync level for AV by 1, because being so close from your ARR capstones is excruciating.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The problem is SMN's gimmick is the art of the JO. You JO to build up to trance, then you JO trance to build up to bahamut-egi. It's layers of standing around waiting for things to happen while casting spells that don't feel very good to cast, although it's possible that other people love Ruin 3. It just doesn't really do it for me because it feels like there's nothing to it.

I think what they were going for was smooth transitions into a kind of flow state, and I base that entirely on it being the only thing that seems to have stuck all the way through the ShB changes, minus the big death laser.

ankle posted:

It's okay to sit on rise and fall of gentlemen for a bit, I think. It's good, but it doesn't unlock a whole lot except for a couple of trials, and it's much more time consuming since it's a lot of cutscenes and dialogue.

I'd say power through as much of the MSQ as you can stomach, and then when you feel like you're not having much fun break it up with a hard mode dungeon unlock or hildy or a hard mode primal. The MSQ has a really tedious part to it that's right about where you're at, but it does pick up and become much better, probably the best it's ever been pre ShB. It goes from being pretty aimless and wandering to suddenly having a distinct direction, so you'll notice when you're past the worst of it on your own. You can go back and do those blue quests later when you feel like taking a break from the MSQ or sidequest leveling and whatnot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ankle posted:

Most of the post-Prae blue quests will be dungeon unlocks which you might or might not be interested in, some of them are pretty good (and when they say "hard mode" don't get confused, they are completely different dungeons) but also totally optional. Here's a list of what quests unlock what in ARR https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

If you haven't done the glamour and dye and challenge log unlocks make sure you get those done first. Other stuff you might want to check out is the gold saucer in Uldah and Palace of the Dead unlocks for weird minigames, and yeah definitely do that gentlemen quest and postmoogle

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Below 40? Anything below 50 locks out Enkindle and Shadow Flare, leaving you with Bane, pet AoE, and a 30 potency Tri-Bind for dealing with groups.

I really wish they would bump the sync level for AV by 1, because being so close from your ARR capstones is excruciating.

While true, anything below 35 means you lose Fester and have nothing that actually feels satisfying to press.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hey y'all, bunnies rule.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Rastan Beeza posted:

No. It's just referring to 70-80 DoH quests being on the first and not dealing with any of the Eorzea people.

Also the 60-70 ALC quests were maybe my favorite of SB and the ALC guildmaster is a good guy.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Leofish posted:

:yeah:

There's also a fairly significant FFXIV population on Instagram, if you're not there already. Just, uh, just watch for the catgirls using the nude mods.

watch for them? well if you say so.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Adus posted:

watch for them? well if you say so.

:nms: You're not ready.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Love how badass the benchmark makes your character look.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The problem is SMN's gimmick is the art of the JO. You JO to build up to trance, then you JO trance to build up to bahamut-egi. It's layers of standing around waiting for things to happen while casting spells that don't feel very good to cast, although it's possible that other people love Ruin 3. It just doesn't really do it for me because it feels like there's nothing to it.

I think what they were going for was smooth transitions into a kind of flow state, and I base that entirely on it being the only thing that seems to have stuck all the way through the ShB changes, minus the big death laser.
BLM has really spoiled me on other DPS because so many DPS classes are about building up to some sort of big ability, and with BLM it's all the big ability.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

i should have expected it to be like that. but i'm also not surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

So does the class use a lot of crystals?