Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My boxset finally arrived, but unless I forego all sleep, social interaction and work responsibilities there is no way possible I'll be able to watch it all in time for the film.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

So is there any chance this just drops Friday for streaming or will it be like their regular shows and become available when it airs?

I would assume it’ll be available when it airs, that’s how al HBO’s stuff works as far as I’ve ever known

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Jerusalem posted:

My boxset finally arrived, but unless I forego all sleep, social interaction and work responsibilities there is no way possible I'll be able to watch it all in time for the film.

That's doable.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Astroman posted:

I've been rewatching the entire show with my dad in anticipation of the movie, and while I don't think we'll be quite up to the end by Friday, we did just finish Season 2. Watching that finale, it blew me away how much plot happened in that one episode:

-Hearst arriving
-Wolcott getting his end
-EB selling the hotel to Hearst, followed by Hearst's "renovations"
-Al manipulating Hearst into ending the war among the Chinese and killing San Francisco Cocksucker Lee
-Adams proving his worth to Al both in the office and in the street, and making friends with Dan
-Alma and Ellsworth getting married
-Jane and Joanie becoming even better friends
-Bullock and Al successfully snowing over Jarry into a Yankton alliance on their terms
-Tolliver attempting(?) to blackmail Hearst
-Tolliver getting stabbed

The way it was all intercut by the wedding was masterful, reminding me of The Godfather. That is probably one of the best season finales in the history of tv.

I'm glad I rewatched because there's a lot of major stuff I just forgot, like William dying, Andy Cramed coming back as a minister, etc.

I finished my rewatch today and I feel like most episodes are pretty dense; not quite this dense, but so much happens in each one.

On my first watch I feel like my mind was all AL SWEARENGEN!! but this rewatch I appreciated much more other characters like Trixie, Doc Cochran, and Farnum. Also watching/reading interviews of the show I learned that the actor who played Farnum's sidekick Richardson was only there as an extra, but was noticed on the set and became a character on the show. Pretty cool!

The ending to the series bothered me a lot like it did many others but not so much this go around, and I don't know if that's because the movie is just about out to give more of a conclusion or knowing what was coming and feeling that the tone of the season 3 ending isn't out of line. But I wanted Hearst to get hosed, I hated him so goddamn much, loving cocksucker.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The whole point of Hearst, as a guilded age robber-baron, is that he's so wealthy he is untouchable and can do anything. It's not at all fair, but that's the reality of it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

SimonCat posted:

The whole point of Hearst, as a guilded age robber-baron, is that he's so wealthy he is untouchable and can do anything. It's not at all fair, but that's the reality of it.

Gilded-age cocksucking piece of poo poo, loving cocksucker. I knew poo poo wouldn't happen to him, but I still hoped.

This interview with Timothy Olyphant https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/timothy-olyphant-deadwood-the-movie-seth-bullock.html about the actor Garret Dillahunt that played two characters, Jack McCall and Francis Wolcott has a part in the movie:

quote:

I heard Dillahunt was in this. He was the only actor to play two roles on Deadwood, and now he’s got the trifecta.
He played Drunk Number Two! He didn’t even get top drunk! [Laughs.] Talk about a reason to call your agent. “Hey, why am I not Drunk Number One?”
Haha that's great. Will keep an eye out for him.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Farnum was the loving best. His soliloquoys, his humor, how much of a bitter pathetic weasel he was. Such an amazing character.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

PlushCow posted:

On my first watch I feel like my mind was all AL SWEARENGEN!! but this rewatch I appreciated much more other characters like Trixie, Doc Cochran, and Farnum. Also watching/reading interviews of the show I learned that the actor who played Farnum's sidekick Richardson was only there as an extra, but was noticed on the set and became a character on the show. Pretty cool!

It was the actor's first speaking role in his career too. I remember reading somewhere that apparently some characters like Richardson got speaking roles because Milch would make on the fly decisions like 'I think this scene would flow more naturally if someone else asked that'.

He was such a cool minor character. When I watched the whole series, I thought his scenes with Aunt Lou were really great little tidbits, like when she finds out her son is dead, or when she ties his tie for him before he goes to vote.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I loved the whole subtle thing where he was crushing on Alma, and his antler/deer/forest spirit worship. The evolution of her picking up random antlers from a guy selling them as she walked by, distractedly handing them to him and Richardson keeping them, to him carrying them, hiding them from her, and worshiping the deer trophy with them was hilarious but also strangely deep.

It's sad he died IRL and won't be in the movie.

Powers Booth was also so great as Cy. It'll be nagging at me the whole time I watch the movie wondering what his part in it would have been.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I like to imagine that Cy would have fully given himself over to The Good Lord Jesus in some evangelistic way as a method to scam people. I could see him getting into the preaching business and passing around the basket and making a living off of that corruptly. Actually, if Andy Cramed is coming back (and I don't know if he is) that would probably be a better way for him to wind up...

I also wanted to add that I also *truly* love the Finale of Season 2 - "Boy the Earth Speaks To." Arguably the single greatest hour of television ever produced, in my opinion. It's right up there with Episode 8 of Lynch's reboot of Twin Peaks "Gotta Light?", or the episode "Ozymandias" from Breaking Bad, or the season 3 finale of Battlestar Galactica. or the Season 3 finale of Lost.... And so on. Off the top of my head those are probably the top 5 best hours of television I've had the pleasure to watch in the last twenty years.

Which I think is best changes on the season or the year or my mood, but usually I'd probably say it's the Deadwood episode. It's the only one that has no reliance on surprise plot twists, or enticing mythology that's been painstakingly set up over dozens of prior episodes. No special effects, no "tricks", no big surprises that could be spoiled. Almost every other episode would have reduced enjoyment if you knew what was going to happen ahead of time, but not so with "Boy the Earth Speaks to". Nearly everything that happens is... inevitable, basically. From Deadwood becoming going from a lawless camp to an actual town with "goddamn laws and everything" officially, to the wedding, to Hearst's arrival and Wu's rivalry coming to a head, to Wolcott's suicide... There's something just extremely satisfying about seeing all the threads of the episode coming together and being woven up and finished. It's like... the first two seasons of Deadwood are slowly going about methodically weaving together this complex tapestry, and all the way to the end of Season 2 it's a tight-wire act that could collapse into a pile of thread or look all screwed up at the end. But instead it just all comes together and fits perfectly.

It's funny, though, every time I realize how utterly amazing the finale is I get more annoyed at HBO for renewing it for two more seasons and then reneging on the second one. It's just like, we got this really perfect and totally complete story being told through the first 2 seasons, and that finale would have easily been the best *series* finale ever. And I do like the end of season 3, but... The "end" of season 3 is more like a scene and a line and was meant to continue onwards from there, whereas Season 2 spent an entire episode wrapping things up in the neatest and prettiest bow ever. Season's 3's ending just acknowledges that we *should've* gotten something pretty...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

kaworu posted:

I also wanted to add that I also *truly* love the Finale of Season 2 - "Boy the Earth Speaks To." Arguably the single greatest hour of television ever produced, in my opinion. It's right up there with Episode 8 of Lynch's reboot of Twin Peaks "Gotta Light?", or the episode "Ozymandias" from Breaking Bad, or the season 3 finale of Battlestar Galactica. or the Season 3 finale of Lost.... And so on. Off the top of my head those are probably the top 5 best hours of television I've had the pleasure to watch in the last twenty years.

What are your thoughts on the last two episodes of The Shield?

Or the ending to Season 5? :smith:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

kaworu posted:

I like to imagine that Cy would have fully given himself over to The Good Lord Jesus in some evangelistic way as a method to scam people. I could see him getting into the preaching business and passing around the basket and making a living off of that corruptly. Actually, if Andy Cramed is coming back (and I don't know if he is) that would probably be a better way for him to wind up...

Oh Cy going evangelical would have been fantastic!

Well said on the rest too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Started my rewatch, God this show was so loving good right from the very first scene.

"I was going to Deadwood too.... :smith:"

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

davidspackage posted:

I always thought it was weird that Ellsworth tells Swearengen "that limey accent of yours" in episode 1, because he sounds 100% American to me.

But as I type this I think someone explained to me that Swearengen's slightly more contemporary accent is what the Brits used to sound like? And maybe I've posted this before, sorry.

I know I'm necro'ing this post a bit but I've always wondered about the remark about his accent in the show too and McShane just explained it in a recent interview:

quote:

Yeah, Jimmy! The first scene I shot was Jimmy Beaver and I talking, when we hear the noise as Trixie shoots a trick. We had some talk about the English aristocracy, which Mr. Milch put in there as a kind of insurance. He said, “We’ll give him a little English in his background. just in case anybody wants to moan about your accent.” Which was the funniest thing!

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

fawning deference posted:

Farnum was the loving best. His soliloquoys, his humor, how much of a bitter pathetic weasel he was. Such an amazing character.

Jerusalem posted:

I read this in Farnum's voice

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
In my head canon, Farnum lives a long time and Newheart is part of the Deadwood extended universe

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Or to the 24th century where he became the shady starbase proprietor Groppler Zorn.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Astroman posted:

Or to the 24th century where he became the shady starbase proprietor Groppler Zorn.

Goodness, captain. Such malfeasant accusations, to infer a Groppler's culpability in the torturous enslavement of a... invertebrate divinity. I stand besmirched and slandered. *mops sweaty brow*

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/deadwood-w-earl-brown-interview-838482/amp/

This interview with W. Earl Brown is really neat. He always seemed like one of the most ardent Deadwood Revival supporters/believers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

crimedog posted:

I read this in Farnum's voice

I'm both offended and touched :)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are your thoughts on the last two episodes of The Shield?

Or the ending to Season 5? :smith:

Oh man, you know, The Shield is like the one show out of the trifecta of series exploring the pride of, as well as the boiling inner depression/rage - two sides of the same coin - of white heterosexual American men- Sopranos/Shield/Breaking Bad is the trifecta of those shows from that era, and I feel pretty confident saying that even though I've yet to see The Shield. Back then, I avoided it because it seemed at the outset to be something more like pulp exploitation with copious gore and no substance. Of course, that's not what the show ever was even from the very start, it's just how they initially advertised it. My thinking at the time was, "dirty cops make my loving blood boil" having recently watched the Paradise Lost trilogy on the West Memphis kids - this was WAY back like 15 years ago. I was one of few fans of The Wire while it was actually airing, too (well starting with season 2, anyway) and at the time I felt like... The Shield must somehow be diametrically opposed to a show like The Wire, since it's main character was an openly corrupt cop, and I felt very political about stupidly uninformed yet opinionated... I know I ought to give it a chance, the Shield, but... I dunno, it's a tough show for me to go out of my way to watch, I don't even know where to stream it.

OK! To get back to Deadwood, I really want to echo the comments about how good Farnum is.

I know it's been said before on these forums, but Farnum (and Richardson) have always struck me as extremely Shakespearean-style characters, in the most wonderful way. Their scenes remind me a great deal of the blisteringly funny scenes Shakespeare would write for minor characters - even in tragedies and histories. Not even minor characters necessarily - take someone like John Falstaff in Henry IV part 1, it always seemed to me like Farnum had some of that character's insolence and wit, perhaps? Its the utterly amazing, the way he does those soliloquies (often with Richardson as a prop) while cleaning up bloodstains or reflecting upon some particular future or past perceived slight or humiliation. It is... very tough to create a character like Farnum, who is both beloved and utterly repugnant to both the fictional town and the viewers alike, no doubt.

And yet, it is almost extremely appropriate and fitting that all the hard work Sanderson went into perfecting and playing that character would never get any real significant or special attention, and despite having a major role and about as much screentime as any other character, he knows he will never, ever make it to being third billed, forget about second billed, in a major film or TV show... And that probably most of the reasonably intelligent and media-savvy people watching Deadwood likely didn't even remember the actor's name, if they made note of it in the first place. It's gotta be VERY tough being a character actor.

I honestly believe that Brad Dourif has been the greatest character actor in American film/television over the past *35-40 years*. I really defy anyone to name anyone else who has had such a prolific and memorable amount of roles from about ~1980 through to today, without EVER really being the lead actor except maybe in a select few incidences I don't know about or cannot remember. I'm very glad he's coming back, because frankly I think the relationship and characters that I really emotionally responded to from the start were Doc Cochran and Jane - both essentially decent and moral humans who could never really have it in them to harm others, barely hanging on in a world where they have to constantly be something they're not, hiding it behind irrational anger and drug addiction (jane's a 'fuckin drunk' and god only knows how many monkeys Cochran had on his back; my guess is 'a loving lot'. He definitely had *plenty* of bottles of Laudanum for Alma, no matter how many times she consumed or subsequently destroyed them.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 31, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
A gentle fuckin' reminder that the DVD commentaries with Tim and Ian are loving hilarious. They seem like they might have had a drink or two as well.

http://tvacdb.sandboxen.com/series/Deadwood

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I last watched Deadwood about 3 years ago and don't remember poo poo about season 3, except that it involved some dangerous mogul dude and was meandering and weaker than the first 2. Hopefully I don't need to remember something about that storyline to watch the movie

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Origami Dali posted:

I last watched Deadwood about 3 years ago and don't remember poo poo about season 3, except that it involved some dangerous mogul dude and was meandering and weaker than the first 2. Hopefully I don't need to remember something about that storyline to watch the movie

I don't mean to spoil anything, but there's a quiz at the beginning and if you get any questions wrong, HBO blocks you from ever seeing the movie.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What kind of cocksucker didn't rewatch the series in preparation?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm holed up in a hotel watching the marathon and eagerly anticipating the movie.

If I'm on the West Coast, does it air at 5 or is it delayed three hours?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm still on s2

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Buncha fuckin hoopleheads, christ

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

I'm holed up in a hotel watching the marathon and eagerly anticipating the movie.

If I'm on the West Coast, does it air at 5 or is it delayed three hours?

Overnight in Gayville are ya?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

This is already great

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
Welcome to loving deadwood

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I can’t believe it is real.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Swedgin not knowing the day of the week is extra-poignant given David Milch's situation

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I can tolerate a Trump presidency.

I can forgive season 8 of Game of Thrones.

So long as I get my Deadwood movie.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

of course E.B. Farnum (who is still mayor--Christ knows, he's earned it!) introduces that cocksucker Hearst

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Sheer hatred from Hearst there

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
Hearst / Gerald McRaney has hardly aged at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Where is itttttt

I still have my vestigial subscription to HBO NOW til next week.

e: oh lol it's on the movies page. There's not even a link from the Deadwood TV series page I don't think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I keep yelling every time they re-introduce characters in Deadwood and is this what going to see Marvel movies is like?