Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Vim Fuego posted:

My Late Husband was a big SW fan, so I had a tattoo done in his memorial, wanted to share!

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .

Moridin920 posted:

It'd be cool to see how it could be done with modern technology but at the same time I still prefer the slower "one small mistake and you're dead" style of dueling that is in those old samurai movies versus backflips and poo poo.

Seeing Yoda fight like that was just...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeG215-yu-k

One of the cartoons I thought had one of the better duels in a long time, in the theme of what you're referring to. It's Obi and Maul again, but whatever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

I don't know enough, well anything, really, about what Lucas originally thought about this but, it was my impression from the OT that:

While Jedi and Dark Jedi/Sith were very powerful, most of that power came from being recognized as that, first. As in, "Oh this guy is part of an elite team of well trained military monk guys with a long tradition. Respect that." and while they could use the force for supernatural poo poo like enhanced combat stuff like jumping farther, running faster, throwing sabers and bulkheads around, and force choking dudes, that was mainly a secondary "holy poo poo" ability they had.
Like the force granted them that, as well as charisma and insight and stuff, making them extremely good and better than even the best 'normal' fighters or military tacticians around. Even during Vader and Luke's time, which again, I'd always assumed was much further from the height of actual Jedi and Sith power, like, they were the very tail end of that tradition with a lot lost between that time and their own age.
But, that the excessive stuff that they did, such as force projection, raising the dead, and doing basically most of the really 'god tier' poo poo that is expected of them or shown in the EU and games and other stuff was just tacked on by other people later as a way to keep raising the ante of 'no really if a jedi just thinks about it a little he can levitate a skyscraper from across the galaxy and turn it into a giant deflector beam that reflects force lasers out of it" or whatever the hell.

All that being why Luke struggles, even when he's supposedly stronger, against storm troopers and stuff, because he's still just supposed to be a guy at the end of the day. Albeit a guy who's really into some heavy Zen poo poo that makes him good at track and field events and in touch with his emotional side.

Billy, your assigned essay topic was ants. Please see me after class

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Vim Fuego posted:

My Late Husband was a big SW fan, so I had a tattoo done in his memorial, wanted to share!

:glomp:
That’s well done. Sorry for your loss.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Does the thread give a poo poo about plot leaks for IX?

cause the guy that leaked the TFA stuff has spilled the beans on this one.

Tldr: IX is such hot garbage that the entire nerd population might actually stroke out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Link them spoilers my man

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wanna see the leaks. How accurate were the other ones?
Not like I'm gonna see this in the theater at this point anyway. gg star warps.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Idc but seeing as this isn't the spoiler thread just put them in spoiler tags

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Edit: double post

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

504 posted:

Tldr: IX is such hot garbage that the entire nerd population might actually stroke out.

link the dang spoilers

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

504 posted:

I’m one of those assholes who loves a thing until it disappoints me then hates it with consuming passion forever. Now I hate Star Wars I can’t get enough negativity about it’s current iteration. Spoilers please.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

When I went to the theater to see TFA I knew it would be hot garbage from the title crawl.

"Luke's missing!"

Oh gently caress me it's a "we gotta get the band back together" trope and they couldn't even do that right.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Honestly I'm glad that Hamill poo poo all over these new movies and was like "You could have done a lot more with this crap".
It's super easy to see where he'd come off as "make my character better and give him more screen time", or demanding of more respect to the original movies as being better because he was in them or whatever the hell but he was just flat out right and was right to be a kind of smug gently caress about it too.

Just pretty much a flat out "This sucks and I'd say it sucks more but contractually can't lol"

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I served Adam Driver at the restaurant I work at. He has big hands and doesn't like guacamole.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Communist Toast posted:

I served Adam Driver at the restaurant I work at. He has big hands and doesn't like guacamole.

Lizard person!

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Communist Toast posted:

Huh, I was never a fan of his but hearing that he shares my disdain for guacamole gets him some points in my book. Salsa supremacy 4eva.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Post the spoilers. :orb:

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I love the new garbage star wars. Post the spoilers so I can be mad now instead of months from now please.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Lotta people can't use google in this thread.

This and this are the main ones.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

With the intel, the Resistance heads to a planet in the Unknown Regions (a point of emphasis in the books), where they rescue a “female alien prodigy” who is key to navigating the area. Afterwards, they discover an ocean world that houses a manufacturing station “powered by the populations of conquered worlds.” It’s because of this the First Order has so many resources at their disposal. The mission becomes “liberating the captives” and then alerting the galaxy to what is happening in the Unknown Regions. In a plot twist, it’s revealed none other than General Hux is the rat, which is his attempt to turn everyone against his bitter rival Kylo Ren so he can usurp control of the First Order. Hux is known to be cunning, even eliminating his father en route to his post as general, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him gain control from Kylo.

lol if this is true this is stupid a gently caress

quote:

Hux is known to be cunning

nvm this must be a troll

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So basically they ripped off another Star Wars product and the First Order basically has a Star Forge except it's powered by holocaust and we're gonna be expected to believe that Hux is a cunning and competent character.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Beneath its waters is the secret to the First Order’s unlimited resources, an ancient manufacturing station literally powered by the populations of conquered worlds of the unknown regions.

hahaha it's literally the star forge

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Hux isn't cunning. He literally questions his new master seconds after he gains control. Truly the mind as genius as our own dear leader's.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So far we've got...

*Two Jedi (one light side, one a Sith Lord) with an unexplained but powerful force bond.

*A mysterious super factory in uncharted space that is the secret to the conquering army's power.

I'd say we're halfway to the point where Bioware should sue for IP violation of the KOTOR script.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
these leaks seem very familiar

didnt this whole water world powered by the population of captured planets thing come around sometime a while ago?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
no leak's ever really gone

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

These are all unbelievably bad.

I totally believe them.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I'm kinda expecting it to be something more stupid than just forced labor. Maybe some matrix style people-as-batteries thing?

With how they abduct children to be stormtroopers i kinda just assumed they'd be using forced labor throughout their territory instead of just one secret factory world. You know, using existing infrastructure and shipyards?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bistromatic posted:

I'm kinda expecting it to be something more stupid than just forced labor. Maybe some matrix style people-as-batteries thing?

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the implication, yeah. It's not forced labor, they're like literally feeding people into the machine or something.

Like some FO techs are standing around talking to each other "hey Bill, the machine stopped again! We're supposed to get that Star Destroyer out by the end of the shift. Throw a couple more Twileks in the furnace! No no use the green ones they burn cleaner."

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 29, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bistromatic posted:

Oh definitely not just forced labor. It's definitely gonna be more like Malak hooking up captured Jedi to the star forge to suck their force energies away to supercharge the thing or whatever.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The First Order are Skeksis oh my god

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The rumor I've been hearing is: Rey is Han's daughter, Han slept around while still married to Leia right around the time Kylo was going to be sent off to Luke, and Kylo knew about the affair and that's why he got so mad at his parents.

It's not from a reliable source and this guy from the story group denies it

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/1133573219695308800

But I think it makes a lot of sense, fits with all the other poo poo that's been in these movies, and I think it manages to piss everyone still watching off at once. I'm hoping something like this is true.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Didn't EU have a whole ridiculous storyline about space dinosaurs locking people up inside machines and using their life energy to power them?

Lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yea and it all happened like two days after Return of the Jedi

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Didn't EU have a whole ridiculous storyline about space dinosaurs locking people up inside machines and using their life energy to power them?

Lol

A long time back, because of this thread, I think I read something about how the original colonists of Tattoine imprisoned the natives there to power their mining operation, or the Hutts did that to the colonists to keep powering stuff after the miners started leaving or something.
I don't remember and I'm phone posting, but I remembered thinking of it when reading this garbage.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lol

Hell yeah, the Ssi-ruuk. lol those crazy dinosaurs will do anything

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

In fairness, writing this plot to tie up the massive steaming dump Shyamalan just took on the floor ain't an easy job.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The rumor I've been hearing is: Rey is Han's daughter, Han slept around while still married to Leia right around the time Kylo was going to be sent off to Luke, and Kylo knew about the affair and that's why he got so mad at his parents.

It's not from a reliable source and this guy from the story group denies it

But I think it makes a lot of sense, fits with all the other poo poo that's been in these movies, and I think it manages to piss everyone still watching off at once. I'm hoping something like this is true.
It makes sense with her "connection" to Han and the Falcon being on Jakku, and how Han reacted when he found her. He basically rolled out the red carpet and asked a complete stranger to stick around forever. When I first watched TFA, that was my assumption.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Lol that he would have just abandoned his child except that he accidentally ran into her and this is seen as an improvement to the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lol

An entire race of doctor robotnicks but they're dinosaurs? Cool