Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Apparently Spiner is back as Data for the Picard show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

I forget, did Kurtzman write the prequel comic for the JJ movie? Because it's sounding a lot like the 24th century stuff in that is canon to this show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I forget, did Kurtzman write the prequel comic for the JJ movie? Because it's sounding a lot like the 24th century stuff in that is canon to this show.

The internet tells me...

quote:

Written by Mike Johnson and Tim Jones, based on a story by screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman

So it would seem that Data (who has usurped B-4's mind) could be Enterprise-E captain in this show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gonz posted:

I'm only seeing one site reporting that, and when I clicked on the link to their source it takes me to a deleted page, so I would take this with a big grain of salt

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gonz posted:

The internet tells me...

So it would seem that Data (who has usurped B-4's mind) could be Enterprise-E captain in this show.
Is Spiner still fat?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Spiner returning in any form would be an extremely effective way to deflate most of the anticipation I had for the show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

Is Spiner still fat?

Is water still wet?

Here's a recent photo:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nessus posted:

Is Spiner still fat?

It would be hilarious to see him try to play Data at his age, considering that in Nemesis there are shots where you can see they're clearly using tape to pull back his neck droop, and that was seventeen years ago.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If he truly is on the show, then they'll probably handwave it away.

Picard: "Data....you look....different."

Data: "Yes sir, I have changed my appearance to more accurately represent the process of aging."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Spiner returning in any form would be an extremely effective way to deflate most of the anticipation I had for the show.

Yah those later TNG movies suffer from too much Data focus. Like, the show wasn't just those two characters.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yah those later TNG movies suffer from too much Data focus. Like, the show wasn't just those two characters.

Good thing it sounds like this TV show will follow in that winning formula!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

All the TNG movies suffer from too much focus on Data. I get why Spiner got so much screentime, since he was the second-highest-paid actor on the show after Stewart so they wanted to get a return on their investment, but still ... God drat. (And then they let him have creative control on Nemesis. :fuckoff:)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They'll spend millions on digital de-aging CG

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d rather see Frakes stuffed into a XXXXL uniform for ten episodes than suffer through ten more minutes of Data/B4.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Why tf did anyone care about Data he's boring

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So will they just pretend nemesis didn't happen or will Spiner be technically playing B4 but he has all of data's memories and acts just like him

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
He'll have brown eyes and walk with a limp.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

So will they just pretend nemesis didn't happen or will Spiner be technically playing B4 but he has all of data's memories and acts just like him

quote:

In the novels published by Pocket Books and set after Nemesis, Data returned in 2384 by having his memories and neural net transferred from B-4 into a new body which contained the memory engrams of Data's creator Doctor Noonien Soong after he was dying and being attacked by Lore years earlier. Data then takes control of the body after Soong deletes himself. After a tearful reunion with his old shipmates, Picard offers to reactivate Data's commission and to rejoin the crew but Data declines as he says he requires time. Several months later, with the help of the Enterprise crew, he is able to obtain the help necessary to resurrect his daughter, Lal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pick posted:

Why tf did anyone care about Data he's boring

Data had the potential to be genuinely interesting in seasons 1-2. At the start of the show he’s clearly capable of human emotion, he just doesn’t have a good grasp on it or human interactions. His arc could have been coming to terms with that, like an inverse Spock where he embraces emotion instead of struggling to suppress it. Instead, that’s all wiped clean in season 3 for beep boop what is humor poo poo.

cheetah7071 posted:

It’ll probably be the latter.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gonz posted:

I feel like any other member of the TNG Bridge Crew would be better because of aging.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If they get that Marvel de-aging tech it'll be fine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Data will just have installed aging software on himself, it's absolutely something he'd do

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Data is now played by a totally different actor, why not?

Idris Elba

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Idris Elba

Okay, I would be on board with this.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Wasn't there some comic where Data downloaded his consciousness into the Enterprise's computer and he was basically Max Headroom? I guess they could do that.

Data is just the new computer voice and they holo-project his weird CGI head places when necessary.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Wasn't there some comic where Data downloaded his consciousness into the Enterprise's computer and he was basically Max Headroom? I guess they could do that.

Data is just the new computer voice and they holo-project his weird CGI head places when necessary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Idris Elba
He's already been in Star Trek in a totally wasted role

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Georgi LaForge: Death Knight eyes edition

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This but all holo-spocks is what we're really clamoring for

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

They could've easily done this with the EMH on Voyager.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So it's just Red Dwarf? The computer AI provides Geordi (who is all alone on his ship) a hologram of his dead crewmate so that he doesn't go crazy.

All we need is for a hyper evolved Spot to join him...

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Orv posted:

I assume replicating a replicator is like putting a bag of holding inside another bag of holding.

Maybe latinum is a key component of replicators.

One could get some wacky economic theory out of most goods being limited by latinum for replicators over the the time it takes for a replicator to replicate normal items.

Sash! posted:

I just assume a lot of stuff falls into the "just because we can do it, doesn't mean we use that method."

Maybe it makes more sense for Federation shipyard workers to assemble large subassemblies "by hand" and perform the check-outs and tests as they go instead of the replicator trying to fart out one massive unit or have tractor beams manipulating huge sections with minimal supervision.

I figured that since they have those space pods with the arms on them, the ships come out of the industrial replicators like flat-pack furniture and the spacedock workers connect stuff and do quality control. The exception is cases like the Defiant, where they might be redesigning and replacing stuff constantly as real-world complications arise that didn't show up in the simulations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Roadie posted:

I figured that since they have those space pods with the arms on them, the ships come out of the industrial replicators like flat-pack furniture and the spacedock workers connect stuff and do quality control.

A Galaxy-class starship is held together with 89 trillion wooden dowel pins

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
if you did not cry at data mourning for tasha yar and lal in in his own weird android way then you are a trash person quite frankly

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sash! posted:

A Galaxy-class starship is held together with 89 trillion wooden dowel pins

What do you think all those self-sealing stem bolts are for?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tighclops posted:

I love how Sisko goes back to doing nothing at the end of that

He spends a few seconds thinking about what Quark and Rom must be doing crawling around the station

Then he realizes that, whatever it is, it's probably something he'd have to try to stop them from doing

And then he decides that he's just better off not knowing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I desperately wished they'd leaned into Sisko as "9-to-5 clocking, barely-gives-a-poo poo" captain

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm waiting for my flight to take off and goddamn this one flight attendent is a goddamned dead ringer for Avery Brooks I'm freaking out a bit

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This thread is now telling me Data is a bad character and I can't understand the world anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nodosaur posted:

This thread is now telling me Data is a bad character and I can't understand the world anymore

Turns out everything you thought was good...is actually bad