Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Merilan posted:

You're in luck friend, Super Robot Wars V, X and T are all translated in English and acquireable via digital download!

T has Master Asia be old friends with the El Dorado V and gives Char Aznable a win over Mazinger Z in the One Year War. Also, Bright and Captain Harlock are drinking buddies. SRW T is pretty alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

T has Master Asia be old friends with the El Dorado V and gives Char Aznable a win over Mazinger Z in the One Year War. Also, Bright and Captain Harlock are drinking buddies. SRW T is pretty alright.

Since the magic 8 ball votes that I'm most likely to get a Switch in the coming months/years, I'm glad to hear that T would be a good grab. That is, assuming I don't just pull a PS4 out of my rear end at some point.

Money expenditures are on hold for me right now until I find a new place to live.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Super Robot Wars T also has a stage based on Crossbone Gundam: Steel Seven. The Steel Seven in this case being Tobia, Kincade, Amuro, Camille, Judau, Char, and Haman.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Super Robot Wars T is a game about salarymen who pilot mechs as their actual, salaried job, but does not include Dai-Guard, making it the worst SRW game ever. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I just watched Gundam Narrative.

I kinda liked it? Like it is by no means a flawless film but I think its at least better than other recent Gundam stuff like Build Divers or Twilight Axis...though granted, that's admittedly a very low bar.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Super Robot Wars T is a game about salarymen who pilot mechs as their actual, salaried job, but does not include Dai-Guard, making it the worst SRW game ever. :colbert:

it's just fitting in with the trend of Super Robot Wars X, an game about people transported to another world that didn't include Rayearth

chiasaur11 posted:

also Amuro, Koji and Ryoma are old pals and spend 90% of the game giving each-other poo poo

there's even a dlc where they fight OYW remnants and must defeat the dreaded jet stream attack

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 1, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Super Robot Wars thread here, under no circumstances play any of the OG games. They are loving terrible.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, at the point in Super Robot Wars V where Yazan and Jerid possibly join you the EFA has more or less decisively lost to your army and also kind of to Neo Neo Neo Zeon and also kind of to the secret society Laplace which is lead by Nanai Miguel and Audrey Burne and Inez from Nadesico (Super Robot Wars everyone). Also the war with Zeon (which in the game's continuity has been basically going non-stop since the OYW and also Zeon has had a decisive advantage for reasons) is over because Banagher and Full Frontal had a newtype heart-to-heart then go and find out what was inside Laplace's Box, conclude it's loving stupid, and also agree that maybe we should give peace a chance. Also the world is collapsing because Cross Ange had a three series pile-up with Mazinger ZERO and Rebuild of Eva movie 2, and so ultimately your assortment of motley heroes goes over to Saotome Labs to grab the Shin Getter Dragon to use it to get into deep space, and only after that, depending on how well you did, the G-Hound unit you clowned on repeatedly is being assigned to join you in part because they're no longer needed on the homefront and in part because you've proven over and again that your fleet are probably bad enough dudes to reach Iskander.

Super Robot Wars plotting is a joy to behold.

oh right I also forgot that Full Frontal basically becomes president of earth and the good guy leader in that game(and even shows up to help you out in the neo zeong near the end, along with jerid/yazan if you didn't unlock them earlier)

man V's endgame was real great

e:

Merilan posted:

this was basically what i loved about dynasty warriors: gundam 1 and the insane sideplot of master asia and heero yuy pottering around scheming to make jerid messa the Hero of Earth

this sounds incredible. between DWG reborn and g generation genesis it seems gundam games have become super reluctant to embrace Dumb poo poo like before and that makes me sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxPtepYXs4U with exceptions

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 1, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Omnicrom posted:

Super Robot Wars T also has a stage based on Crossbone Gundam: Steel Seven. The Steel Seven in this case being Tobia, Kincade, Amuro, Camille, Judau, Char, and Haman.

I wish a SRW game got an actual Steel Seven stage though. Rather, I wish a SRW game actually adapted Crossbone, T's Crossbone has little to nothing to do with the manga and from what I can see V is no better. It's not like Crossbone is exactly lacking in content to adapt, with several manga series and whatnot, so I don't get the half-assed use of the series.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wish a SRW game got an actual Steel Seven stage though. Rather, I wish a SRW game actually adapted Crossbone, T's Crossbone has little to nothing to do with the manga and from what I can see V is no better. It's not like Crossbone is exactly lacking in content to adapt, with several manga series and whatnot, so I don't get the half-assed use of the series.

The only SRW to actually really adapt Crossbone's story was Alpha 2, its debut. Alpha 2 has the X-1, X-2, and X-2 along with a couple of other F91 era mechs, lets you use Umon, Tobia, and Kincade, has the Mother Vanguard as one of your warships, has you fight the Death Gale team, and relatedly on Ibis' route (she joins the Crossbone Vanguard pretty early on in @2) you can get Burn in the Totuga as a final stage reinforcement along with a couple of other former antagonists.

V, meanwhile, uses Crossbone's setting for the first Earth and it's roughly around the time of Skull Heart, but the plot detours immediately after fighting the Amakusa and it's mostly background. Still, Tobia, the protagonist, and the Yamato are the initial force that set out for Iscander The Jupiter Empire does show up once or twice after the start of the game mostly to get kicked around.

X is an Isekai fantasy setting and only has Tobia, and he's from the period of Skull Heart, but he also he basically doesn't talk about his home and feigns amnesia about it. The reasoning behind that is that pre-Kincade Seabock is hanging out with the main cast and he's worried if he says anything it might cause a Time Paradox. Other than that he's not important to the story. There is, however, an amusing bit where the G-Reco people pull up archives of the X-1 and make the Full Cloth equipment for it (prior to when it's developed in the main timeline). Tobia's response to seeing it is "What the hell am I going to fight in the future that I'm going to need all that weaponry for?"

T similarly does very little with Crossbone again, but there's at least more than in X. For those unaware, T plays an alternate ending to the original Crossbone where Tobia and Kincade stayed on as Space Pirates. There are a couple of nice bits (IE the Crossbone peeps are naturally cool with Harlock, but they're also chums with Argo, who was also a Space Pirate), but mostly they're in the background again.

As for why Crossbone is never seriously used? Dunno. It is a pity though, I'd love a SRW stage where you fight Newtype monkeys. Hell, that would have fit in with Gateway Shuffle from Cowboy Bebop with the ecoterrorists, an episode of Bebop which is played almost completely straight in T.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Could be that it’s not used because it’s just a manga. Or how silly it is as far as UC Gundam is concerned. Hell, maybe it’s just that for as popular as the Gundams are, the enemy suits have basically no pull.

I do like the one that’s a giant axe head though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Midjack posted:

Super Robot Wars thread here, under no circumstances play any of the OG games. They are loving terrible.

:wrong:

Some of the best games in the franchise are OG games, but there are specific bad OG games just like there are specific bad mainline games. That's a topic for the SRW thread, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In which SRW games is Four present and can be saved?

I remember when I finished Zeta for the first time I loved her and found out in everything else she's in they give you the option to save her. I got Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam partly for that reason. That game is so awesome, not least of all because they got the entire Zeta dub cast back.

The Zeta dub is pretty awesome, BTW. Four and Kamille were real standouts and I think Four's VA is the only person who has reprised her role continuously over the years.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember when I finished Zeta for the first time I loved her and found out in everything else she's in they give you the option to save her. I got Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam partly for that reason. That game is so awesome, not least of all because they got the entire Zeta dub cast back.

The Zeta dub is pretty awesome, BTW. Four and Kamille were real standouts and I think Four's VA is the only person who has reprised her role continuously over the years.

Alpha Gaiden has her and has an English patch, and Brounom did a translation LP of Z where you can also get her.

Other than that I know Zeta's been in a ton of SRW games but I'm not super familiar with the ones that are just in Japanese. I know she isn't in V, X or T because those are all post-series for Zeta and only include Kamille and Fa as playable characters.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 1, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
V also has Tobia watching over Hathway because he knows he ends up going full terrorist in his own timeline.

Hathaway is good in V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBubhIW8DLU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Midjack posted:

under no circumstances play any of the OG games. They are loving terrible.

what the gently caress

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Look all I want is Katejina with Zero system being my queen of crazies. It will never happen but I can dream.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

generally whenever four is in the game she's savable, but most are post-zeta so she's already dead

HitTheTargets posted:

Could be that it’s not used because it’s just a manga. Or how silly it is as far as UC Gundam is concerned. Hell, maybe it’s just that for as popular as the Gundams are, the enemy suits have basically no pull.

I do like the one that’s a giant axe head though.

I mean that didn't stop them from using it the first time. hell they were also planning to use sentinel for alpha 3 but SEED got in instead

I want them to go all-in and just give us crossbone ghost with mysterious pilot CURTIS ROTHKO

(it's tobia)

hell give us grey stork too and just make it a poorly-disguised old man tag team

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 1, 2019

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yinlock posted:

generally whenever four is in the game she's savable, but most are post-zeta so she's already dead

I mean that didn't stop them from using it the first time. hell they were also planning to use sentinel for alpha 3 but SEED got in instead

I want them to go all-in and just give us crossbone ghost with mysterious pilot CURTIS ROTHKO

(it's tobia)

hell give us grey stork too and just make it a poorly-disguised old man tag team

I want Mikazuki in a game with maximum poor disguises, so he can just cut them down as they come up.

"Oh, it's the chocolate man."

"It's Gali Gali."

"It's Lulu."

"It's Hokuto's mom."

"Hey, Domon. It's that man."

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Mikazuki would never let Char get away with Quattro.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Seabook's disguise is still the absolute worst and I love it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

Four's also in Z3 piloting a Byarlant Custom by default and has the best ace bonus (a bonus common to the series where you get a perk for killing enough enemies with them): "Artificial Human becomes Newtype". :3

It's the most heartwarming ace bonus ever

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

super-redguy posted:

Seabook's disguise is still the absolute worst and I love it.

tbf i thought that was more solidarity with cecily than him actually trying to disguise himself

also athrun will always take the worst disguise ever award because he literally just changes jackets

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hey he puts on sunglasses sometimes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think he mainly banks on nobody knowing or caring who the gently caress Seabook Arno is. Like, I'm not even saying that as a dig - he only got briefly involved in a minor conflict on the Federation's frontier.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

isn't it more of a Zechs-style "Right now, I can't use the name Milliardo Peacecraft!" kind of personal deal

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Merilan posted:

isn't it more of a Zechs-style "Right now, I can't use the name Milliardo Peacecraft!" kind of personal deal

yes, he doesn't really have to disguise himself because nobody knows or cares who seabook is but he wants to share cecily's burden

though cecily's using her true name as a disguise but still prefers cecily so it's a weird double reacharound disguise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Best thing in V is Shinn showing up and just not being willing to take any poo poo from the Cross Ange characters

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Best thing in V is Shinn showing up and just not being willing to take any poo poo from the Cross Ange characters

athrun specifically calls him in and is like "yes now they will go bug shinn instead of me, this plan has no flaws whatsoever" and shinn's response is basically "lmao no"

e: also shinn is still lowkey pissed at both kira and athrun for the whole SEED destiny thing so this just makes him madder

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 1, 2019

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Honestly, I enjoy low-key pissed Shinn more than the somewhat mellowed out version that shows up in some SRWs. Isn’t this the guy that Vegeta’d his way into activating SEED mode?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

NikkolasKing posted:

She's saveable more times than she isn't and in some games is required to not get Kamille sent to the shadow realm/recover from being sent to the shadow realm. She can even be saved in Z which was the debut of the Zeta movies where she dies pretty much immediately. I think saving Four is the most common secret in the entire franchise. Last 3 games have been post-series so she's not shown up at all, but the Z series had her be saved and then show up with Graham and Patrick from 00 to stop the Shamblo/Juaggu assault in Unicorn. If Amuro shoots down some Juaggu you can get one as a unit and there's a little skit of Amuro flipping out cos its one of his favourite mobile suits apparently. SRW is good.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

Since the magic 8 ball votes that I'm most likely to get a Switch in the coming months/years, I'm glad to hear that T would be a good grab. That is, assuming I don't just pull a PS4 out of my rear end at some point.

Is SRW T available on Switch with English subs at the moment, or is it just something that's only on PS4 etc. now and will get to the Switch eventually? I'll have to register a JP account and grab it on the digital store front if it's already out. Never played a SRW, but no time like the present to start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Is SRW T available on Switch with English subs at the moment, or is it just something that's only on PS4 etc. now and will get to the Switch eventually? I'll have to register a JP account and grab it on the digital store front if it's already out. Never played a SRW, but no time like the present to start.

From what I understand getting on the HK storefront digitally is a huge pain, most people just imported a physical copy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Switch Asian version has English subs. Japanese version is Japanese language only.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You can just order a Singapore copy off ebay or whatever, it's what I did. Just search for "super robot wars T english."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yinlock posted:

That's not actually true as far as can be determined. The whole line of G-Sentinel Units were in @3's data, yes, but it originates as leftover dummy stuff from Alpha 2. And G-Sentinel is a choice that would have made sense, @2 is a game that leaned heavily into post-OYW early UC for its Gundam setting. This was the game that did a lot of stuff from Stardust Memories and had Haman and Char in an uneasy Neo Zeon alliance and it's also the game where the Titans got smashed up but are still around (In one route those bastards recover the GP-02 and then are daft enough to give it to loving Yazan! Because that's a dude you want to have a nuke) so having G-Sentinel's gang of Titans remnants around to stir the pot and get involved in the war would have made sense. And it would also have been a great sales pitch, buy @2! It has two of the best known Gundam Sidestories in it!

On the other hand I get why people say why SEED is a last minute addition, because it wasn't particularly gracefully added into the setting. @3's explanation for why ZAFT suddenly exists is "Oh yeah, Coordinators have always existed but we didn't talk about them for the past three games because they're gauche. Also they were completely uninvolved in all those previous massive, existential space wars and alien invasions."

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Look all I want is Katejina with Zero system being my queen of crazies. It will never happen but I can dream.

You can do that in a couple of SD Gundam games, though sadly those games are the ones without much story. Also you can recruit Katejina and Chronicle in SRW D (for some reason), and while the Wing Zero is in that game it's locked to the Wing Boys.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

She's saveable more times than she isn't and in some games is required to not get Kamille sent to the shadow realm/recover from being sent to the shadow realm. She can even be saved in Z which was the debut of the Zeta movies where she dies pretty much immediately. I think saving Four is the most common secret in the entire franchise. Last 3 games have been post-series so she's not shown up at all, but the Z series had her be saved and then show up with Graham and Patrick from 00 to stop the Shamblo/Juaggu assault in Unicorn. If Amuro shoots down some Juaggu you can get one as a unit and there's a little skit of Amuro flipping out cos its one of his favourite mobile suits apparently. SRW is good.

X had a really good DLC that was just Amuro and Happa nerding out about zeon suits. He apparently really likes the dwadge, thinks the zssa is a fuckin deathtrap, and the dooben wolf sucks for it's intended purpose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScPx1fLVXYE

also he keeps a close eye on raraiya for obvious reasons

HitTheTargets posted:

Honestly, I enjoy low-key pissed Shinn more than the somewhat mellowed out version that shows up in some SRWs. Isn’t this the guy that Vegeta’d his way into activating SEED mode?

almost every srw game he's in puts a different spin on Shinn's character and it usually turns out really well, the real tragedy of destiny is the sheer amount of wasted potential there was in Shinn specifically. Even when destiny gets real bad he still asks Kira and Athrun a lot of really uncomfortable philosophical questions they aren't equipped in any way to answer(which is why they keep failing to talk him down)

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 2, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My favorite Shinn in SRW is the one in L where he can't figure out what to make of Kira and doesn't trust Athrun's judgment of him, so he does the actually smart thing and goes to get a different perspective. Specifically, Shinn goes and asks Dearka what kind of person Kira really is. Dearka basically tells him that Kira is a good guy, but kind of awkward and to give him a chance to prove his character. Cut ahead to the fight with Stella in the Destroy where Shinn actually contacts Kira, asks him for help saving Stella, and the two successfully disable the Destroy and save her. You can get Stella as a pilot down the line because this is SRW, but even if you don't I believe it's canon in SRW L that she lives.

Speaking of "Canon that they live even if you don't get them" it's confirmed in Z3 that Anew Returner (who can possibly be kept as an ally in Z2) does officially survive 00 S2 in the Z continuity.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Yinlock posted:

X had a really good DLC that was just Amuro and Happa nerding out about zeon suits. He apparently really likes the dwadge, thinks the zssa is a fuckin deathtrap, and the dooben wolf sucks for it's intended purpose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScPx1fLVXYE

The discussion between Amuro and Happa at the start makes me think Amuro would really appreciate Loran, and seeing him use the Turn A in such a variety of mundane ways; washing machine, dryer, train tracks, cow transport, playground etc. Their talk at the end makes me wonder is Tem Ray savable in any SRW? There was a playthrough of some Gihren's Greed on /m/ recently that saved Tem and had a lot of changes because of it apparently, though I didn't keep up with the thread. Does SRW even allow you to save non pilot characters who aren't going to be playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tsob posted:

The discussion between Amuro and Happa at the start makes me think Amuro would really appreciate Loran, and seeing him use the Turn A in such a variety of mundane ways; washing machine, dryer, train tracks, cow transport, playground etc. Their talk at the end makes me wonder is Tem Ray savable in any SRW? There was a playthrough of some Gihren's Greed on /m/ recently that saved Tem and had a lot of changes because of it apparently, though I didn't keep up with the thread. Does SRW even allow you to save non pilot characters who aren't going to be playable?

Yeah, if they're part of the plot SRW sometimes lets you save non-pilots who canonically die. I know Z lets you save a bunch of the Zambot 3 civilians who get blown up in the show, and Nia usually gets to live at the end of TTGL when its adapted.

I think Tem Ray's survived in some games? I know he's shown up a few times when they've adapted MSG, but most of those games are older and only in Japanese so some of the finer plot elements get lost in the broad translations I used to play them. One game even has that junk circuit he gives Amuro turn into an actual good item if you fill all your slots with it (normally it just penalizes all your stats :v:)