Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched JW2 like 3 days ago and we aren’t really given a sense of what Santino joining the table will do. It’s implied that it’s a dick move, certainly, but I imagine the High Table is basically in a constant state of musical chairs (but with murder instead of Pop! goes the Weasel). Also anyone who cares enough will just see “John Wick went to Italy, need Dinner Reservations for... 64” and be like “ugh I really hope that is not my problem”

I have a feeling that killing a high table member may actually be a pretty big deal. It's why Santino does it through a proxy. A proxy he immediately puts a hit out on because he presumably could never admit to contracting it himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

I have a feeling that killing a high table member may actually be a pretty big deal. It's why Santino does it through a proxy. A proxy he immediately puts a hit out on because he presumably could never admit to contracting it himself.

And of course why Wick has two different caches of weapons set up for after the job is done, Santino's moves are obvious. Nobody wants him in charge because he's an impulsive power hungry idiot.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Most of the mooks slaughtered by Zero’s crew or John and Sofia were just expecting another day of guard duty, but you gotta wonder what Charon and the skeleton crew of red shirts were thinking when they were forewarned of a High Table death squad and chose to stay for Winston’s benefit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Most of the mooks slaughtered by Zero’s crew or John and Sofia were just expecting another day of guard duty, but you gotta wonder what Charon and the skeleton crew of red shirts were thinking when they were forewarned of a High Table death squad and chose to stay for Winston’s benefit.

Maybe it's like the samurai system: you're their retainer, and you stand by them. That's the job and deserting has worse consequences. I mean, Viggo never deals with any desertion, even from his last 4 guys, several of whom have watched Wick slaughter their mates.

Basebf555 posted:

And of course why Wick has two different caches of weapons set up for after the job is done, Santino's moves are obvious. Nobody wants him in charge because he's an impulsive power hungry idiot.

Exactly. It's not that the job is that hard (Wick has to kill a dozen or so guards on his way out, light work for him) it's that no one would do it, because the high table is inviolate.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The manager of the Rome Continental does initially suspect John is there to kill the pope, so I guess that's not outside the upper realm of possibility

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Paragon8 posted:

It is interesting how little we see of the crime world outside of assassins. I think the most overt thing is the chop shop that leguizamo runs and the implication in JW1 and JW2 that the Tarasovs run a lot of stolen cars.

I guess maybe it'd be too dark if we saw human trafficking or drugs being moved?

The whole economy/logistics of the world has a great feel to it but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny at all.

Deleted scenes from Wick 2 showed Santino seizing Aurelio's chop shop and other Tarasov properties, including some of the same materials (including drugs, iirc) that were getting hastily moved out of town during the intro to the taxi warehouse scenes.

tin can made man posted:

The manager of the Rome Continental does initially suspect John is there to kill the pope, so I guess that's not outside the upper realm of possibility

Another (very goofy) deleted scene has John apparently getting permission from the pope for his kill.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Discendo Vox posted:

Another (very goofy) deleted scene has John apparently getting permission from the pope for his kill.
It would have been way more believable if the Pope was the one above the table rather than a random Bedouin convoy roaming the Sahara.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

It would have been way more believable if the Pope was the one above the table rather than a random Bedouin convoy roaming the Sahara.

It ties into the (possibly apochryphal) origins of the assassins as a fanatical cult founded during the crusades to match the knightly orders.

Is that actually a thing? I've read a couple of histories of the crusades and they only mention them obliquely. I don't know if that's because they weren't really a thing or because they didn't really reflect the grand flow of events, just being great colour.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/keanuital/status/1133415624653312000?s=21

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Keanu's the realest.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
his life story is incredibly sad and its probably really hard for him to get close to people because he's been super famous his entire life and everyone he loves has died horribly

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

Exactly. It's not that the job is that hard (Wick has to kill a dozen or so guards on his way out, light work for him) it's that no one would do it, because the high table is inviolate.

I also have to assume that if some chump like Perkins from the first movie showed up to kill her and didn't have the connection that John and her apparently did, Gianna probably could have just murdered them personally. She killed herself because she figured John would get her anyways and wanted to go out with dignity on her own terms.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grenrow posted:

I also have to assume that if some chump like Perkins from the first movie showed up to kill her and didn't have the connection that John and her apparently did, Gianna probably could have just murdered them personally. She killed herself because she figured John would get her anyways and wanted to go out with dignity on her own terms.

Gianna is the smartest person in the movies, just accepting that she's hosed. It's actually a great scene and the actress sells it.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016
That scene also makes it very clear why the dad left his High Table seat to her instead of Santino.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched JW2 like 3 days ago and we aren’t really given a sense of what Santino joining the table will do. It’s implied that it’s a dick move, certainly, but I imagine the High Table is basically in a constant state of musical chairs (but with murder instead of Pop! goes the Weasel). Also anyone who cares enough will just see “John Wick went to Italy, need Dinner Reservations for... 64” and be like “ugh I really hope that is not my problem”

It's implied through what Wick says to the Bowery King that Santino will take everything in New York for his own using the power of the High Table by whatever means. Exactly like Santino uses Wick to gain his seat at the Table in the first place

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Was anyone able to catch the names of Sofia's dogs? I can't find anything online, but I remember them sounding exotic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So there's no way Winston actually wants war with Wick is there? It just doesn't gel with giving John that hour to escape. It all being a show of strength seems pointless if he gives up John at the end. But at the same time there doesn't seem to have been any guarantees John would survive the fall. I also feel like Charon, after looking after the dog, would be on board with dumping John, as personally loyal to Winston as he is. He's just too classy for that!

Was shocked Bowery King lived, when Tick Tock wasn't shown in the Sushi Ninja attack I assumed he'd take over. Since he got a poster I assume he'll do more next time.

I figure we'll be seeing Sofia and Barrada again, since the could have killed Barrada but didn't and Sofia clearly has her own story to tell.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Is Earl in this third movie? I don't remember seeing him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mp5 posted:

Is Earl in this third movie? I don't remember seeing him.

He brings the Bowery King news a couple of times. I tried to spot if he gets killed but the attack of the ninjas goes by so very quickly.

Man, it is crazy the extent to which Dacascos just walks off with the movie. It's a hell of a performance both in and out of the action scenes.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

BizarroAzrael posted:

So there's no way Winston actually wants war with Wick is there? It just doesn't gel with giving John that hour to escape. It all being a show of strength seems pointless if he gives up John at the end. But at the same time there doesn't seem to have been any guarantees John would survive the fall. I also feel like Charon, after looking after the dog, would be on board with dumping John, as personally loyal to Winston as he is. He's just too classy for that!

Was shocked Bowery King lived, when Tick Tock wasn't shown in the Sushi Ninja attack I assumed he'd take over. Since he got a poster I assume he'll do more next time.

I figure we'll be seeing Sofia and Barrada again, since the could have killed Barrada but didn't and Sofia clearly has her own story to tell.

Winston's whole thing is following the letter of the law while ignoring the spirit entirely if he feels like it, and he knows that Wick has both literal and plot armor. "You watched me shoot him in front of you without hesitation, what more could I possibly offer?"

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Man, it is crazy the extent to which Dacascos just walks off with the movie. It's a hell of a performance both in and out of the action scenes.

It felt like several actors were trying to out scenery-chew each other, between McShane and Fishburne in particular, but Dacascos just smokes everybody.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

It felt like several actors were trying to out scenery-chew each other, between McShane and Fishburne in particular, but Dacascos just smokes everybody.

Dacascos is a rare find for them because he's a guy who has the acting ability to be a memorable villain and then of course he can do any of the fight choreography you need him to and then some. That's one definite point in favor of Parabellum, the first 2 movies had villains who really in the end couldn't stand up to Wick and give him a real fight. Ruby Rose gave it a good effort but she just couldn't hang and it was over so quickly.

Kinda makes me wish he'd survived the movie because you don't find guys like that just hanging out on the street. The name that jumps out at me immediately for the next movie would be Scott Adkins, or if Common came back that would be awesome too.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The line delivery on “...he was.” makes me giggle just thinking about it.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Just need to catch my breath, I'll catch up with you.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Dacascos is a rare find for them because he's a guy who has the acting ability to be a memorable villain and then of course he can do any of the fight choreography you need him to and then some. That's one definite point in favor of Parabellum, the first 2 movies had villains who really in the end couldn't stand up to Wick and give him a real fight. Ruby Rose gave it a good effort but she just couldn't hang and it was over so quickly.

Kinda makes me wish he'd survived the movie because you don't find guys like that just hanging out on the street. The name that jumps out at me immediately for the next movie would be Scott Adkins, or if Common came back that would be awesome too.

What the gently caress is up with a Scott Adkins? I was reading some Vern reviews and he’s apparently the king of awesome b-movie action movies? I had never heard of him before but apparently he’s a low budget legend?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Violator posted:

What the gently caress is up with a Scott Adkins? I was reading some Vern reviews and he’s apparently the king of awesome b-movie action movies? I had never heard of him before but apparently he’s a low budget legend?

This is true. Scott Adkins is fuckin' awesome and incredibly loving cockney. Watch at least a few of the below

Undisputed 2, 3 and 4, Ninja 1 and 2 (moreso 2) and Avengement. Oh, and Universal Soldier - Day of Reckoning.

Basebf555 posted:

Dacascos just had rotten luck. He's good looking, charismatic, works way harder than the movie requires and is a hell of a screen fighter, but by the time he came along, the bubble for martial arts movies had well and truly burst, and so he just got roles like 'Kickboxer 5.' He still managed to make 'Drive' (which is dope) and 'The Brotherhood of the Wolf' (also dope, and has the same cinematographer as John Wick) but if he'd come along just a few years earlier, he'd have been a really big dea.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Snowman_McK posted:

if he'd come along just a few years earlier, he'd have been a really big dea.

yeah Double Dragon really did him dirty

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Brotherhood of the Wolf has some loving incredible action scenes but when you try to explain to someone that your favorite kung fu movie is about Sherlock Holmes hunting werewolves in Paris things get dicey.

I had no idea there was overlap with the John Wick films and BotW, but it makes a lot of sense, that movie was way ahead of its time in terms of action.

On the recommendation of this thread I watched Dredd 2012 and it’s above average but the total and complete lack of characterization on Dredd’s part made it really hard to pay attention. I know they can’t fill me in on 40 years of comics but he’s just like a really tough guy who loves the law? The psychic girl and the henchmen were really cool and had good chemistry, Dredd is just a Wick-Like, brutally proficient and observant and precise but I can’t tell you anything about the character at all.

Compare it to the opening 10 minutes of John Wick, with the dog and the doing donuts in his car, we get enough to empathize. I get that Dredd is not a film about empathy (until the very end maybe) but I really wanted maybe more humor or something, I dunno.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dredd is like, the manifestation of the oppressive law. He exists as a sort of act or enforcement of a divine will in some sense and you can place stuff on his character. So in that context it works. Don't come at him like a superhero that has 40 odd years of stories and character development with regular tropes. Robocop's original design had Dredd's helmet instead of the one line visor.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

but the total and complete lack of characterization on Dredd’s part made it really hard to pay attention.

this is literally the point of the character, he is the law personified, he has no life he has no interests, he does the job and nothing else. theres a reason one of the two main characters takes their helmet off basically instantly: its because she's the one you're supposed to identify with and sympathize for and who has an actual arc over the course of the movie

Gatts posted:

Don't come at him like a superhero that has 40 odd years of stories and character development with regular tropes.

i smash the door down and shout actually dredd has had a tremendous amount of character growth but you have to be a psycho who's read 500+ issues to see it

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The first ten minutes of Dredd 2012 tell you a shitload about both the character and the world he inhabits

The food court will reopen in ten minutes, after a robot poorly scrubs bloodstains off the floor

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Violator posted:

Hello, do you have five minutes to talk about our lord and saviour of action movies, Scott Adkins? There is no fee to join the Church of Adkinsology just a pledge to watch cool movies with even cooler fights.

A couple of them should be available on netflix actually. Ninja 2 and The Debt Collector ought to be there. Unsure of the Undisputed movies though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I understand Dredd is a faceless adjudicator, I just prefer movies that have human characters. Dredd was so competent I wasn’t ever scared for him like I am for the cops in The Raid. Like I said I put it at Above Average, I’d watch it again with some friends.

The action film it reminded me the most of actually was The Transporter because at least in 1&2 he has literally zero characterization besides Precision. He’s just an extremely tightly wound perfectionist, they set this up in like 5 minutes, and then he performs a ballet of impeccably choreographed violence. I didn’t mind his minimal characterization because Statham was still new and exciting at the time and because the action was very Proto-Wick, fewer edits and bigger focus on who was hitting who, etc.. The only thing I remember about 3 was they gave him a sexy redhead and him taking a bomb off his car with a crane during a stunt jump in mid air.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

I understand Dredd is a faceless adjudicator, I just prefer movies that have human characters.

The other protagonist is the human character. The entire rest of the cast, in the comics and here, exists as a human counterpart to Dredd.

poo poo the movie even deviates slightly to imply to Dredd is just a violent psycho with rage issues, held in check only by his devotion to The Law

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also Dredd is an incredibly funny movie, its just the blackest comedy you've ever seen in your life

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dredd passing Anderson at the end despite failing on paper is a pretty big moment of growth for dang Judge Dredd’s first shootmans action movie.

I watched Mark Dacascos in Drive last night and it’s like the asylum films version of Rush Hour. Like somebody could emulate the shots from Jackie Chan movies but understand literally nothing else about what makes them entertaining.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 1, 2019

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

weekly font posted:

Dredd passing Anderson at the end despite failing on paper is a pretty big moment of growth for dang Judge Dredd’s first shootmans action movie.

It's a great punchline, because Dredd's 'growth' is recognizing that Anderson was still perfectly efficient at torturing and killing people even without a gun. In that, it captures the first Obama term exceedingly well.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hand Knit posted:

It's a great punchline, because Dredd's 'growth' is recognizing that Anderson was still perfectly efficient at torturing and killing people even without a gun. In that, it captures the first Obama term exceedingly well.

Anderson is the living avatar of enhanced interrogation techniques. I don't understand how people watch Dredd and just see Raid + guns.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

weekly font posted:

Anderson is the living avatar of enhanced interrogation techniques. I don't understand how people watch Dredd and just see Raid + guns.

I mean, it's pretty easy to understand. The plots are pretty similar. I'm not gonna begrudge anyone for not going with "well obviously one is a satire about how enforcement-centred legalism undermines legal authority whereas the other is about finding positive reasons to live (as opposed to merely survive) in the face of omnipresent death."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hand Knit posted:

I mean, it's pretty easy to understand. The plots are pretty similar. I'm not gonna begrudge anyone for not going with "well obviously one is a satire about how enforcement-centred legalism undermines legal authority whereas the other is about finding positive reasons to live (as opposed to merely survive) in the face of omnipresent death."

I hold people in cined to a higher standard for some dumb reason.