Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Deputy Sherrif of Tombstone, Wyatt Earp is sitting in the Saloon Number 10.

Kurt Russel cameo as Artie, says "that's a rotten idea" to Jane's idea of a tombstone (heh) for Wild Bill Hickock.

Comfortador posted:

Imdb names that as a different actor, whats your source?

Ah drat. It does look a bit like him, but Kurt is a lot older. welp.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Imdb names that as a different actor, whats your source?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought that was Dillahunt for a split second when they focused on him. That's just as awesome if it's true.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it was the little things, like bullock being too old to properly kick an rear end anymore and getting winded haflway through the beating.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i like that in his age and ease in temperament Bullock has basically just aged into being Raylan Givens. lot of those little swaying and swaggering mannerisms when he’s cool and relaxed that Bullock never had, because he was never relaxed, always coiled up and practically shaking with barely repressed rage and discomfort

Timothy Olyphant was loving born to play troubled Old West lawmen

also that movie was loving perfect, not a wrong note anywhere and completely satisfying

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was perfect and a great send off to an amazing show. A shame we couldn't have watched several more seasons leading up to that, but it was still great. I know some people were hoping this would be a backdoor pilot, but these people are way too old to keep on keepin on in this kind of show. I kind of wish more shows got this kind of several years later treatment that's actually several years later, and not just an age makeup gimmicked last episode.

I love the way they were able to convey the feeling of helplessness when Hearst was around. It's terrifying to be in a situation where you're being wronged but you can't do anything to the person wronging you. That street beating was great.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Was that loving Con Stapleton officiating?

Mandrel posted:

also that movie was loving perfect, not a wrong note anywhere and completely satisfying
I must admit I hated the flashbacks, but I can't imagine they weren't due to studio notes. Within the constraints of a short movie, the rest was everything I could have hoped for and more.

Escobarbarian posted:

Al being so weakened and useless throughout might be a disappointment to some, but I found it very moving, especially considering Milch clearly put so much of him and his own issues into it.
It sadly lent an extra poignancy to McShane's performance, yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mandrel posted:

i like that in his age and ease in temperament Bullock has basically just aged into being Raylan Givens. lot of those little swaying and swaggering mannerisms when he’s cool and relaxed that Bullock never had, because he was never relaxed, always coiled up and practically shaking with barely repressed rage and discomfort

Timothy Olyphant was loving born to play troubled Old West lawmen

Watch The Santa Clarita Diet. He absolutely kills it in that role as well. Then again, realtors are basically the modern day version of the Old West sheriffs. Like almost indistinguishable from each other.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

That was perfect and a great send off to an amazing show. A shame we couldn't have watched several more seasons leading up to that, but it was still great. I know some people were hoping this would be a backdoor pilot, but these people are way too old to keep on keepin on in this kind of show. I kind of wish more shows got this kind of several years later treatment that's actually several years later, and not just an age makeup gimmicked last episode.

I love the way they were able to convey the feeling of helplessness when Hearst was around. It's terrifying to be in a situation where you're being wronged but you can't do anything to the person wronging you. That street beating was great.

yeah from what it sounds like Milch really isn’t in any place to write more Deadwood, or anything else probably. him writing Al’s condition the way he did felt like a very personal choice

I loved Hearst bringing in two lawmen from out of town only for Bullock to immediately pull rank on them and that they actually just hosed off with their tail between their legs. That impotence combined with the street beating felt like more poetic justice towards Hearst than I ever hoped the show would provide. And given that the show deviates from history in the fates of several real figures, I don’t have any problem figuring that maybe in Deadwoodworld Hearst actually really did get held accountable one way or another

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Watch The Santa Clarita Diet. He absolutely kills it in that role as well. Then again, realtors are basically the modern day version of the Old West sheriffs. Like almost indistinguishable from each other.

oh yeah, Santa Clarita was great. I’m a big Olyphant fan, mad that show got cancelled on that loving cliffhanger though

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

PerilPastry posted:

I must admit I hated the flashbacks, but I can't imagine they weren't due to studio notes. Within the constraints of a short movie, the rest was everything I could have hoped for and more.

I felt like they were late comer service at first but the super quick soundless way they were cut in gave them the dreamy quality of memories to me, I ended up really liking them

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They helped to explain what had happened before, but they also fit in. A bunch of people are coming back to Deadwood and it's dredging up memories of the past.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

PerilPastry posted:

It sadly lent an extra poignancy to McShane's performance, yeah.

Yeah that was Con Stapleton! Hard to tell at first since he wasn't immediately befuddled by something.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

This was really more of a cast reunion and show send off in the wrap party sense than an addition to the deadwood story. I guess a lot of people enjoy that kind of thing and that's cool. I had somehow gotten the idea that there would be more impetus so I felt a little disappointed TBH.

it was kind of like a theme park ride of deadwood...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 1, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Qmass posted:

This was really more of a cast reunion and show send off in the wrap party sense than an addition to the deadwood story. I guess a lot of people enjoy that kind of thing and that's cool. I had somehow gotten the idea that there would be more impetus so I felt a little disappointed TBH.

it was definitely too short. i was expecting two-three episodes worth of stuff and it was more of an extended episode. but what we did get was great.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Garret Dillahunt in his 3rd Deadwood role, rocking an awesome and hilariously fake-looking beard that I have to believe is a wink at the audience:

And that was indeed Con Stapleton officiating the wedding:

They really did get back almost everyone who wasn't either dead IRL or killed off on the show. Exception being Jack Langrishe (Brian Cox) and his troupe but I don't know they ever really fit in the show anyway.

Silas Adams was probably the biggest series regular (who was still alive at the end of S3) I missed, but that's because Titus Welliver was filming the new season of Bosch (which is excellent, btw, it's on Amazon).

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I read that Larry Cedars (Leon the opium addict) had a cameo as well, but heck if I know which minor townsperson he played.

I felt like such a dork because I got excited at seeing minor characters like Aunt Lou popping back up; particularly Tom Nuttall, since articles I read kept mentioning the real atom wasn't in Deadwood at the time frame the movie happens, so he wouldn't be there.

Overall, I liked it. (Except for Harry, you drat rat!). I would have liked more Dan and Johnny, but I'll take what I can get. And the ending, between Fields talking to Bullock about how Charlie looked when he last saw him and what the Bible said about purpose; and then Jewel and Trixie taking care of Al, I was seriously a little emotional; the acting was fantastic.

EB, as usual had the standout moment when he has to use the the telephone. 'My word, a voice! Hello in there!'

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Fitting that Con would take the reverend grift now that Cy isn't around.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mandrel posted:

yeah from what it sounds like Milch really isn’t in any place to write more Deadwood, or anything else probably. him writing Al’s condition the way he did felt like a very personal choice

I loved Hearst bringing in two lawmen from out of town only for Bullock to immediately pull rank on them and that they actually just hosed off with their tail between their legs. That impotence combined with the street beating felt like more poetic justice towards Hearst than I ever hoped the show would provide. And given that the show deviates from history in the fates of several real figures, I don’t have any problem figuring that maybe in Deadwoodworld Hearst actually really did get held accountable one way or another

I thought it was a nice touch too that Deadwood had created the position of Town Marshall for Bullock after Hearst rigged the election for sheriff.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Mandrel posted:

the shaming mrs garret put on him at the auction ruled. the beating was nice, but those wounds will heal. hearst is gonna walk around the rest of his life knowing he got his rear end kicked in a money-spending contest, by a woman. that's his image, his character, the all consuming leviathan who is denied nothing, but she completely denies him in such an understated way as to even take the nobility of defeat away from him, he's just dismissed from the room like any other punter. gonna haunt that man forever.

probably my favourite scene next to farnum's soliloquy.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

SimonCat posted:

I thought it was a nice touch too that Deadwood had created the position of Town Marshall for Bullock after Hearst rigged the election for sheriff.

He was a US marshal actually, both in the show and real life. It’s confusing but marshal is used in some towns and counties instead of sheriff. In this case though, Seth was a full blown law enforcement officer and his authority dwarfed the other lawmen.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

though to be fair his authority would have dwarfed theirs even if he was only sheriff, being that they were literally out of their jurisdiction and effectively working as hired muscle

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Qmass posted:

Deadwood the show was never about plot. No reason to start now.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

This was a masterpiece of a send-off. Such tender moments between the characters and man, Alma outbidding Hearst was so loving awesome.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, I'm sure we've all listened to most of the end credit songs, but I'll leave this one for us all in case you need an easy place to find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPo6CFTLkqs

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
That was so good! :allears:

:same: on tearing up a bit for Waltzing Matilda...such a great send off.

This was so satisfying, it felt like a condensed season with the story beats, but the progressions still felt natural and not rushed (for a film). They did an amazing job of adapting the long-form to a different length: this didn't feel like a two-parter, but like a proper ~movie~.

That said, it makes me a little sad for what could have been. Letting these plots and beats spread out over ten or thirteen episodes would have been amazing. :sigh:

Final Thought: :lol: we couldn't just get the train from Deadwood for one scene? :homebrew:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh! I almost forgot one of the best scenes: E.B. fretting at the telephone! :bravo:

"My goodness! A voice? Hello, in there!"
"[He'll] lay slain before this concludes..."

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

This was an incredibly warm and beautiful send off for the show, and sits up there with the Twin Peaks return as one of the most successful series revivals (see The X-Files for the other end of the spectrum). That said, I couldn't help but wish we'd been able to get (at least) a 4-part mini series that would have allowed the plot to unfold at a more leisurely (Deadwoody) pace and, more importantly, for every character to get a proper send off. Still, it's ridiculous that we got even this much, and I will be thanking the antler god for all time for this gift.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I feel like the guy who screams "I hope you die in the street just like my dad" was that guy who played like 2 or 3 different characters in OG deadwood who all died.

EFB

I love how the entire cast takes turns dunking on Hearst the entire movie, even Farnum.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 2, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That was just wonderful.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Could the last line have been any better?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Quick US History lesson:

George Hearst was the worst god drat motherfucker of a cocksucker of the 19th century. A brutal, barbaric capitalist robber baron cocksucker that got off to murdering people who sought to organize unions.

His mentally ill large idiot failson, William Randolph Hearst, is the slimy cocksucker that Citizen Kane is based on.

e: fun historical side note, William Randolph Hearst, the inventor of yellow journalism whose newspapers nearly exclusively printed lies and fake stories, up to and including a wholly imaginary war, got his start in "journalism" by trying to put Joseph Pulitzer out of business. Pulitzer, as in the Pulitzer Award for exceptional journalism and writing.

Nothing about George Hearst's depiction in Deadwood is true. Even my cursory half-assed research showed that he was involved in at least a couple of antitrust campaigns, and there's nothing about him killing union organizers.

William Randolph Hearst was a huge piece of poo poo though.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

King Vidiot posted:

Nothing about George Hearst's depiction in Deadwood is true. Even my cursory half-assed research showed that he was involved in at least a couple of antitrust campaigns, and there's nothing about him killing union organizers.

William Randolph Hearst was a huge piece of poo poo though.

It's maybe fair to say he wasn't the quintessential robber baron he is on the show, but you don't really have a trajectory like George Hearst's by staying clean now, let alone in the 19th century. The man's political (/business) fortunes were tied up with the Central Pacific Railroad, only turning ostensibly anti-monopoly when they dropped him for another candidate. He was also aligned with the pro-Southern wing of the Democrats, and his time in the California state legislature was largely distinguished by being the sole vote against ratifying the Thirteenth Amendment.

From the Wikipedia page on the Homestake Mine: "Hearst consolidated and enlarged the Homestake property by fair and foul means. He bought out some adjacent claims, and secured others in the courts. A Hearst employee killed a man who refused to sell his claim, but was acquitted in court after all the witnesses disappeared. Hearst purchased newspapers in Deadwood to influence public opinion. An opposing newspaper editor was physically attacked on a Deadwood street. Hearst realized that he might be on the receiving end of violence, and wrote a letter to his partners asking them to provide for his family should he be murdered. But within three years, Hearst had established the mine and acquired significant claims; he walked out alive, and very rich."

However it is worth saying that Joseph Pulitzer is at least as responsible for the rise of yellow journalism as William Randolph, and the existence of the Pulitzer Prize is a testament to how far these men would go to whitewash their own legacy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How did Alma outbid George Hearst? I didn't think she was anywhere near Hearst rich.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The movie was amazing and I'm so glad it exists.

One of the two Hearst guys pull off the murder made me pause and say "What the gently caress.. Patrick Swayze is dead!" Turns out, to my surprise, that Patrick Swayze has a brother named Don that when you put him in makeup and facial hair looks crazy close to how his brother looked right before he got really sick. That was a weird discovery.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 2, 2019

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I thought Sam Fields' dying words to Bullock was one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fawning deference posted:

I thought Sam Fields' dying words to Bullock was one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

Yeah that was an amazing scene. I also loved that after years and years of being more or less a complete drunken fuckup Jane finally got her hero moment, and she got her girl. I was very happy to see her story turn out that way.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Wow, the one-two punch of Jane saving Bullock and then Bullock and Samuel's conversation 😭 but in a good way

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Phenotype posted:

How did Alma outbid George Hearst? I didn't think she was anywhere near Hearst rich.

She had the gold claim (before selling it off) and the bank during the show's initial run, so I'm guessing when she left Deadwood she used her business acumen to accrue more wealth for a decade. I think Charlie mentioned something about what she'd been up to when she first arrived.

As soon as that scene started and you saw Seth and others fruitlessly trying to outbid him, I was like 'Ohhhhhh, Alma's gonna outbid him' and was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Yeah, I mean she had a reputation as a New York rich girl 10 years prior, before she had the gold claim and the bank and invested that money etc. I was under the impression that Alma was very wealthy.