Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

according to the director and McShane Al’s last scene is meant to be ambiguous. so read it how you want, basically

the disaster of GoT’s last two seasons really illuminates how incredible this thing is. David Milch, rapidly deteriorating from Alzheimer’s, managed in a tight 2 hours to close every loose end from a show that ended nearly 15 years ago, giving satisfying emotional and thematic resolution to every single character. What an absolute genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Bullock still has Farnum as witness to Hearst talking to Utter's killers. Plus, everyone saw Hearst's man kill one of them as he was confessing.

You can't fight City Hall, I guess

E: typo

crimedog fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 3, 2019

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mandrel posted:

according to the director and McShane Al’s last scene is meant to be ambiguous. so read it how you want, basically

This surprises the hell out of me, I didn't think there was anything ambiguous about Al's death.

As good an excuse as any to watch the movie again!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Another Bill posted:

This surprises the hell out of me, I didn't think there was anything ambiguous about Al's death.

As good an excuse as any to watch the movie again!

His finger was twitching and he told god to stay the gently caress away. I saw it as intentionally ambiguous.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean it's Deadwood and they don't exactly stick to historical accuracy, but the real-life Swearengen lived until the 1910's I think?

Charlie Utter didn't die that way or that soon either though, so :shrug:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Swearengen died early in the 1900's, in Denver. Virtually every aspect of him was invented for the show though so it is a minor nit to pick.

Utter is believed to have died in South/Central America before the start of WW1 but there is some disagreement on that. Not much is known of what happened to him after he left Deadwood (which was not long after the great fire) so the show ending is as good as any.

The beautiful thing about Deadwood is it takes the same liberties with history that every Western movie/tv show does, but interprets them in a completely different way. Milch had a great line about it in the NYT interview, about how the standard Western made a myth about the rugged individual surviving and thriving whereas his show was all about how communities had to organize out of chaos to survive. That is a lot closer to the truth.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm a little disappointed they didn't bring back Sofia's actual original actress.

apparently that's her one and only acting role, and she had no desire to return to playing Sofia. new-Sofia wasn't too bad, and looked good as an ingenue.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mandrel posted:

the disaster of GoT’s last two seasons really illuminates how incredible this thing is...

Yeah, not that GoT needs to be dragged through the mud pies anymore, but when I watched the Deadwood movie I made a statement along the lines of, "That was as satisfying as Game of Thrones was disappointing".

I loved it.

Best comeback ending movie to a show? I mean it was better than Serenity and slightly above that TV movie that explained what happened to ALF.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they do age makeup on anyone? The woman who plays Jewel is younger than my mom but looked years older.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they put her in old lady glasses and either dyed her hair gray or had her wear a wig (she keeps her hair colored irl).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just posting to re-state how good this was. It's kind of only sinking in now. Rarely I don't have my expectations met with at least some disappointment that I have to come to terms with but I was just genuinely so impressed with this. And I'm one of the folks who watched with subtitles, not only because the dialogue is so drat dense in a wonderful Shakespearean way, but also because I'm not a native speaker and subtitles help me learn the language and also to appreciate Milch's writing which is wall-to-wall superb.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Deadwood was one of my all time favorites. Rewatched the series over the course of the last 2 months, watched the movie yesterday. What a triumph, beyond happy with the final outcome.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mandrel posted:

managed in a tight 2 hours to close every loose end from a show

Not every one. I, for one, would like to know what happened to Blazanov and the

CHEYANNE AND BLACK HILLS TELEGRAPH COMPANY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not every one. I, for one, would like to know what happened to Blazanov and the

CHEYANNE AND BLACK HILLS TELEGRAPH COMPANY

Hearst killed him, ripped up the telegraph lines and installed telephone lines. I do wonder why Hearst needed to get through all that land when there were already telegraph lines going into Deadwood.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

vaginadeathgrip posted:

There is a really fun book called Murder of the Century about them, the rise of yellow journalism, and a crazy hosed up murder in 1897.

The dialogue in the movie kind of threw me off. I don’t remember it being that heavy.

This book sounds cool. Thank you for the tangent.

I did find the dialogue heavy but I think it was always that way and the audience is just out of practice. Speaking of which, it's a little funny seeing reference to the idea that Deadwood wasn't plot heavy, like, even not as a big driver of the show it's too easy to forget how impenetrable stuff like the intrigue around Mrs. Isringhausen was. I think I just about followed the thing with the fictional state delegate meeting Sol with a bag over his head. God I miss it all though.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only big thing that really bugged me about the movie was that (to me) it was very obvious that the script was written to take place like a year or two after the conclusion of Season 3. It felt like they just took that planned movie plot and as the years stretched on with no movie in sight, the whole "ten years later" thing was shoehorned in with Hearst now a senator, Wu has a kid, Cy is dead because Powers Boothe is, etc.

But the town itself and the people in it have barely evolved in that time. It made Deadwood the fictional TV town feel like it was just held in stasis as the people in it physically aged, but nothing else changed.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I didn’t get the impression that Samuel was dying in his scene

Now, Al’s ending is totally ambiguous—unless there’s another movie, in which case he probably lives

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

The only big thing that really bugged me about the movie was that (to me) it was very obvious that the script was written to take place like a year or two after the conclusion of Season 3. It felt like they just took that planned movie plot and as the years stretched on with no movie in sight, the whole "ten years later" thing was shoehorned in with Hearst now a senator, Wu has a kid, Cy is dead because Powers Boothe is, etc.

But the town itself and the people in it have barely evolved in that time. It made Deadwood the fictional TV town feel like it was just held in stasis as the people in it physically aged, but nothing else changed.

The only sour note in it for me was Alma still having no real development other than still being real horny for Bullock to the point she looks like she'll get sick from being in close proximity to him. I get what they were doing but it njst seemed odd for her to have held onto it that strongly for that long.

To your point, a couple years later makes sense, but 10 and after having lived in the city and raised a kid, to still be that blown off her feet by him seemed a bit silly

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That was very believable to me. There's some old crushes/flings of mine who would probably spin me off axis a bit if I ever ran into them, despite being happily married and it being 10-15-20 years later. Plus Olyphant and Parker always had insane chemistry whereas him and Anna Gunn might as well have had that bed divider between them at all times.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
If my ex from like three years ago walked into a room I was in now I would probably go cold like I saw a ghost and would need to go hyperventilate somewhere. Hopefully in 7 years I'll hit the "just need a moment" phase.

Troy Queef posted:

apparently that's her one and only acting role, and she had no desire to return to playing Sofia. new-Sofia wasn't too bad, and looked good as an ingenue.

Now I'm worried someone did something to her on set. :(

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 4, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress lol why even say that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Loved the movie, even though I hadn't rewatched the series yet. I was talking to my wife after we finished watching it and realized that the last time we saw the show, when we originally binged it, was 2013.

Watching the movie only made me want to rewatch everything more, so that's what I'm planning on doing.

Also, Anna Gunn needs a starring role in something. Seth's wife, who puts up with his (admittedly not too bad) poo poo, Walt's wife, who puts up with a monumental amount of poo poo... She definitely should full-on star in something as the main character and not just someone's wife.

Jackapol
Sep 16, 2007
Huh huh buhhh.

Escobarbarian posted:

What the gently caress lol why even say that

I dunno, if I was a child actor from Deadwood I'd stay as far as gently caress from any production with Jeffery Jones in it. I mean he might have gotten the barest of passes for being found out during the making of the show and contracts and whatnot, but over a decade out and you go out of your way to rehire the known pedophile?? The gently caress Deadwood movie, he added nothing to the overall story but to remind everyone, oh yeah there's the known child sex offender that they went out of their way to rehire. Christ his pointless presence sunk so much of my goodwill for this like a stone, just the minor point of not hiring the pedophile for a minor scene would have been much preferred.

Other than that a fantastic close to one of the best shows made, au revoir yah loving cocksuckers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jackapol posted:

I dunno, if I was a child actor from Deadwood I'd stay as far as gently caress from any production with Jeffery Jones in it. I mean he might have gotten the barest of passes for being found out during the making of the show and contracts and whatnot, but over a decade out and you go out of your way to rehire the known pedophile?? The gently caress Deadwood movie, he added nothing to the overall story but to remind everyone, oh yeah there's the known child sex offender that they went out of their way to rehire. Christ his pointless presence sunk so much of my goodwill for this like a stone, just the minor point of not hiring the pedophile for a minor scene would have been much preferred.

Other than that a fantastic close to one of the best shows made, au revoir yah loving cocksuckers.

Can't just blame the Deadwood movie... He was first busted in 2002, and while it might have been filmed in 2003, season 1 was released in 2004. :stare:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Laterite posted:

Anna Gunn might as well have had that bed divider between them at all times.

that made sense to me - she's his brother's widow.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Groovelord Neato posted:

that made sense to me - she's his brother's widow.

yeah but the implication was that she and Bullock eventually fall in love for real and have a fulfilling life

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

When Samuel tells Bullock that Charlie went out singing, then next scene is Jewel and Trixie attending to a sick Al as they sing 'Waltzing Matilda', we don't need to see his body in a wooden box - he dead.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's pretty obvious he's dead. He'd be 174 if he were still alive.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I just saw him in the Deadwood movie tho

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Al Swearagen lives on in the hearts of kindly pimps everywhere

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I just finished a second watch. I love everything about the movie, but I just wish it had more time to breathe. They clearly fit a whole season's worth of plot into under two hours, which simultaneously makes me happy that they accomplished it so well and sad that real-life circumstances prevented another 10 hours worth of amazing dialog and character interactions.

Hopefully the 30 minutes of deleted scenes are released on-demand or on a blu-ray soon.

You know something was an unmitigated success when you're only complaint is that you are left wanting more.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 5, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Yeah something like a 4-episode mini season would have been better, but what we got was splendid enough.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Why leave the Gem to Trixie and not Dan?

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I would watch the hell out of a Sol and Trixie’s Dance Hall spin off.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

BossTweed posted:

https://youtu.be/9YJ19wK9XDg

Dan does not have good managerial skills

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Trevor Hale posted:

The prostitute was a way of showing the world goes on even if your part of it doesn’t.

Yes. Her point is that Trixie has completed her arc as far as prostitution and her past goes and come all the way around on it.

Sand Monster posted:

I'm an idiot who can't discern subtext: were Samuel and Al both dying in their final scenes? Dying as in "if the scene continued for another few seconds, we'd have seen them expire"?

Yes, but it doesn't really matter.

Pattonesque posted:

yeah but the implication was that she and Bullock eventually fall in love for real and have a fulfilling life

But not until Bullock specifically chooses it. It gets happy ending-ed pretty hard with Bullock finally "coming home". Might even get the impression that everything being mostly sorted out with Hearst and Al passing on has given Bullock some release finally.

BossTweed posted:

Dan's a doofus and Trixie's as close as Al has to someone he loves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Dan's a doofus and Trixie's as close as Al has to someone he loves.

This is probably one of the failings of the type of show where everyone always has a witty remark to make. They do it so much that you start to think the characters must be pretty smart until they do something really stupid.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Cojawfee posted:

Hearst killed him, ripped up the telegraph lines and installed telephone lines. I do wonder why Hearst needed to get through all that land when there were already telegraph lines going into Deadwood.

I don't wanna go too deep into how late 1800's - early 1900's telecoms wiring operated, but essentially:
  • Copper wasn't quite a thing yet. And iron transmission wires are way worse for signals
  • Because of that you can't load up too much poo poo to just go down one line, or it just jams and nobody can do anything
  • So you lay more lines on the poles. But the more wires you got laid over the pole network the higher odds of those wires hitting interference / the weather kills it / the wires blow into each other and send phantom messages and phone calls out
  • To properly insulate the line to Deadwood costs $$$ and Hearst would be doing this for as cheap as he could
  • So rather than slowly retrofit the existing telegraph poles with new phone lines, being stuck alone the exact same route, you tear the whole thing down and cheaply log a forest to throw up your own network following your own infrastructure rollout plan

Movie was A+ great poo poo, loved it. Always a treat to see Franklyn Ajaye and him also being the crux of the whole film was doubly good.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mexican Radio posted:

I would watch the hell out of a Sol and Trixie’s Dance Hall spin off.

Sol running against EB for mayor would be fun

EB must be be bitter about Sol and Seth opening a competing hotel, and then on top of that Sol tries to take his position of authority!

The nerve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

hcreight posted:

There were so many great little character moments sprinkled in, especially ones that played up against expectations, like Al's only line to Sol in the entire movie being positive advice.

Am I the only one that got the sense that Sol and Al had this conversation before, but Al had forgotten it? Sol seemed surprised at Al being kind to him, but his silence at the advice had the air of him letting Al repeat himself rather than remind him.

Al’s poor physical and mental health really hit me hard after watching Alzheimer’s take my grandfather, and the conversation between him and Sol actually reminded me of trying to have a conversation with him towards the end. Letting the old man have his say gave him more relief than constantly reminding him of his condition.