Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Katt posted:

I am so loving glad that my counter culture instinct to reject anything mainstream got me to reject social media until I realised how bad it all was.

When I signed up for military service one of the questions in the security interview was to list all my social media accounts and young me on social media would have hosed that up for sure.

What happened to your instincts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Katt posted:

I am so loving glad that my counter culture instinct to reject anything mainstream got me to reject social media until I realised how bad it all was.

When I signed up for military service one of the questions in the security interview was to list all my social media accounts and young me on social media would have hosed that up for sure.

When I think about it I should probably get a fake facebook and twitter and just fill it with wholesome crap like "boy I sure love obeying the rules and working hard"

You probably should. As part of my job I've been to presentations of automated decision-making systems, including vetting employment candidates, and perhaps the scariest thing is a lot of the designs put having no social media presence as a higher risk than basically anything else, as you're a complete unknown who is assumed to be hiding something. The ultimate danger with social media is that it can become disciplinary, where not engaging with it is punished.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

vyelkin posted:

The only way this makes any sense is if she worked for Myspace

The company's reason was that she got fired because she was friends with a client.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Katt posted:

I sort of agree. I went in for speed running videos to see people beating my favourite games really fast and well. Instead I get people glitching through a wall 10 minutes into the game to spawn the end credits and get declared master speed runner.

there's different kinds of speedruns, and both glitch and non-glitch runs are valid. the notorious eurojank rpg Two Worlds can be beaten in two minutes because the final boss of the game is an npc that is right next to the start of the game, and as soon as he dies the game ends, so all you have to do is just stab him and game over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0&t=157s

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

EL BROMANCE posted:

What happened to your instincts!

Insatsforband. Can only be deployed within the nations borders.

Unless Russia invades I'm going to spend the rest of my life helping the police search for missing people and handing out food/treat injured after a disaster.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Carry on then my man, if thats what the countries armed forces were used for more often (and they did a good job in the Keys after Irma from what I saw) then I wouldn't view that line of work with such deep suspicion.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Katt posted:

I sort of agree. I went in for speed running videos to see people beating my favourite games really fast and well. Instead I get people glitching through a wall 10 minutes into the game to spawn the end credits and get declared master speed runner.

You gotta know where to look to get to the good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mind you the last time I was actively viewing speed runs you got them on Napster so the phenomena might have evolved.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

LawfulWaffle posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6682843127956376837

I wish there was a better way, but that's a video of a teacher ranting about how the south pole doesn't exist.

I love all the craziness that gets applied to Antarctica as if it really were either some heavily guarded military outpost or a massive conspiracy hub.

It's a dusty, frigid rock full of scientists and contractors getting drunk and loving near 24/7 (when not on shift).

You wanna know what Antarctica's like?

Clear Weather:

Tacky Xmas Parties:

With Drunk dudes on trikes:

Who drive them over to (one of) the bar(s):

Then put on a silly show and while getting even more drunk for New Years:

And some science, sometimes:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Carry on then my man, if thats what the countries armed forces were used for more often (and they did a good job in the Keys after Irma from what I saw) then I wouldn't view that line of work with such deep suspicion.

sometimes I fantasize about the poo poo we could get done if we put all the US military's resources to building infrastructure and more general community improvement projects. Roads everywhere. Food, water, housing given freely to anyone who helps out.

But no, we're just gonna use all those resources to explode another country.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crain posted:

I love all the craziness that gets applied to Antarctica as if it really were either some heavily guarded military outpost or a massive conspiracy hub.

It's a dusty, frigid rock full of scientists and contractors getting drunk and loving near 24/7 (when not on shift).

Clear Weather:

Tacky Xmas Parties:

I would absolutely spend a winter in Antarctica from all the poo poo I've heard going on there.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

How... Honest?

Like, way to admit you're intentionally spreading false information and objectively harming political discourse.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

http://www.funraniumlabs.com/2013/06/alcoholism-in-antarctica/

This is a really great article from a former Antarctic bartender about the ridiculous alcohol consumption.

quote:

Oh, the Crown Royal. One of those odd things that just happens, any bartender will tell you this, is that bars have peculiar booze consumption characters. That there will be a type of alcohol that sells remarkably well in one bar but doesn’t even move in the bar the next block down. Or, for similarly unknown reasons, a college town bar will see that each different year progressing through college has it’s signature booze, i.e. the class of 2014 all order dry martinis, but the class of 2015 is all Jaegerbombs, all the time. For the South Pole 2002-2003 winterovers, the booze of choice was Crown Royal, I think because of the lovely felt bags the bottles came in. Every time a new bottle was opened, the bag got suspended from the Christmas lights over the bar, slowly making a curtain. In the picture to the above, taken January 2002, it was still pretty sparse up there; by July, one of the communications techs took down about 50 of the bags to make a quilt. There were so many by then that we didn’t even notice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well if the liberals are gonna say "IT'S ALWAYS PROJECTION" then gently caress it I'm gonna project!!!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Tag yourself. I'm Nicolas Cage on the far left.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'd rather be in Antarctica during summer personally.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Osaka in the :siren:anime:siren: Azumanga Daioh was given a Brooklyn accent, which should be the go-to for Osakan. It fits perfectly. American English is great for variation when the translators actually try.

Or you could go the Excel Saga route, where the dialect is so incomprehensible that the character is mute with subtitles.

Crain posted:

Clear Weather:

Tacky Xmas Parties:

Nice try, The Thing, but you're not getting me down there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah that's apparently when all the partying happens!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If I were a billionaire I'd built a hidden bunker in Antarctica, stock it with enough food and supplies to last several lifetimes, find some way to get terabyte internet service and spend the rest of my life tripping balls and posting.

The ultimate gooncave is actually being in a cave growing weed and playing minecraft.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Picnic Princess posted:

Summer is the better season.

But when you hit the bars don’t get Brown Lion.

Well...get one. Everyone gets one. Takes one sip, and vows never again.

Beer in the bars is $3 regardless of what you get. Except Brown Lion. That’s $2.

Also when I went the booze of choice was no longer Crown Royal. I don’t even think they stocked it. There was another scotch available but i can’t remember which.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How many bars are there at an Antarctic research station? :psyduck:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Katt posted:

Peace with the nazis was never an option even when Britain was the only one fighting the nazis. That he would eventually get both the Soviet Union and the USA on his side was something he couldn't even have dreamed of.

Can you clarify for me when exactly this was...?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

What else are you supposed to do in Antarctica?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

3 in Mcmurdo, 1 at Scott Base (10 min “bus” ride on “American’s Night”), 1 liquor store in McMurdo, 1 “official” bar in South Pole Station.

You’re rationed liquor from the store to 24 beers or 2 bottles of wine, or one bottle of liquor a week. You can drink all you want in the bars.

Crain has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Jun 4, 2019

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nichegamer/status/1135748798632943616

People celebrating over commentary on a draft nonbinding resolution from the united nations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

40 to 41 after the surrender of France but before the invasion of the Soviet Union.

ilmucche posted:

:actually: Britain wasn't alone. Canada, Australia and India were also at war with Germany

I already covered the British Empire.

ilmucche posted:

:actually: and Yugoslavia and Greece

Okay you got me.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

That map is neat but it lumps way too much together. I can hear differences between Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver accents, e.g. poo poo, there are even different anglo Canadian accents within Toronto. There are also dozens of regional rural accents within that "1. CANADA" zone.

Yeah, it's done by a hobbiest who's criteria aren't the best. Like they don't keep track of AAVE because they don't think it's any different from classical southern, just dispersed more. But it was the first map that tracked a bunch of different things instead of just, like, a single word.

And I was ready for someone to come back with better evidence that the US does have less regional variation, because that could be true. But your solemn word backed up by comparisons between the accents that get actual media representation, doesn't sell that claim. You seem to think that because our own media tends to only use a handful of broad accents to show diversity, then that's all that exists. Someone choosing to use a broad southern accent for an Osakan, doesn't mean there aren't other USian accents that could be used. But if you want a broad audience to understand a character, then you aren't going to give them the gulf shore AAVE. You're making a big claim here, so put up or shut up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Last half of 1940 if you count the entire commonwealth as "Britain"?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Katt posted:

40 to 41 after the surrender of France but before the invasion of the Soviet Union.

I already covered the British Empire.

Okay you got me.

I appreciate the solo effort

hobbesmaster posted:

Last half of 1940 if you count the entire commonwealth as "Britain"?

Which you probably shouldn't?

ilmucche has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Jun 4, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Yugoslavia was May 1941, so between the fall of France in June 1940 and then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ilmucche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkCr2AX8mVQ.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

You literally cut out the part of my post that said "British empire" just so you could try to fish out a setup to :goonsay: and start listing commonwealth nations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Katt posted:

You literally cut out the part of my post that said "British empire" just so you could try to fish out a setup to :goonsay: and start listing commonwealth nations.

No not really, but read whatever you want from it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The Commonwealth? Might as well list Scotland too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

chitoryu12 posted:

What else are you supposed to do in Antarctica?

Yeah scientists working at regular research stations are constantly drinking so I can only imagine how much goes on in a place as isolated as that

Crain posted:

3 in Mcmurdo, 1 at Scott Base (10 min “bus” ride on “American’s Night”), 1 liquor store in McMurdo, 1 “official” bar in South Pole Station.

You’re rationed liquor from the store to 24 beers or 2 bottles of wine, or one bottle of liquor a week. You can drink all you want in the bars.

One of the things I was hoping to have the opportunity to do after finishing my degree was to work at a remote field station for a while. The only one that got back to me was for a position in Alert or Resolute Bay or some such location way up north but by then my life was in a different place so I declined.

The pay was kind of poo poo anyway.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dehry posted:

People celebrating over commentary on a draft nonbinding resolution from the united nations.

"Various forms."
:thunk:

quote:

The United Nation’s Committee on the Rights of the Child have
:barf:

Breetai has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Jun 4, 2019

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Even this is pretty awkward most of the time imo, as the Osaka/Kansai dialect has widely different cultural connotations from southern American, but of course American English is one of the poorest languages in the world in terms of regional variance, so southern is the only go-to "different" dialect.

lol? ca alone has like 3 regional dialects theres about 3 in NC as well. noone in appalachia sounds like people from the outer banks and the people from charlotte or raleigh sound different from the other 2.

CommonShore posted:

That map is neat but it lumps way too much together. I can hear differences between Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver accents, e.g. poo poo, there are even different anglo Canadian accents within Toronto. There are also dozens of regional rural accents within that "1. CANADA" zone.

the best pod cast i ever listened to was chewin it with will sasso during when they were making super troopers 2 and they had him do every canadian provincial dialect. it was really eye opening about how different regions of canada are. also his swarzenegger ordering room service bit was the best.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

T-man posted:

I cut contact with my mom and a part of me is scared she's on these abandoned mother websites getting ready to show up at my door and scream.

So many pages ago, but guess who was waiting on MY doorstep the other day when I thought my UberEats delivery had arrived?

Not my loving fish n chips, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dehry posted:

The top comment:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sephi24/status/1135754320308256768

:chloe: