Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So is Trump going to brag about the very underwhelming jobs report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

What hellscape do you live in paying $2.50 for an avocado

NYC. But I get it from my bodega where the avocados are always good, always big, and ready (they make hot food with it so it has to be good). The other day, I came in for my avocado fix and the lady told me "I have beautiful avocados for you today." She wasn't lying.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

skeleton warrior posted:

Counter-counter argument: after all of this poo poo including child death camps, Trump still has a 45% approval rate

No, he doesn't. He's been hovering around 42% for quite a while now and most of those people are chuds.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RandomBlue posted:

No, he doesn't. He's been hovering around 42% for quite a while now and most of those people are chuds.

I think the argument SW and PJ are having comes down to them both being right - the bigger injustice is that the system allowed Trump to win while losing the popular vote, but the more horrifying root problem with America is that Trump was even able to pull 40% of the vote, let alone the 46.1% he pull that allowed him to win while losing.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Ah yes, all those deals such as.... and.... hm.

Letting Trump kick his ball into the fairway is not a deal you toad sucking piece of poo poo.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ershalim posted:

I'm not sure. I think disaster capitalism on this scale is kind of a new trend that many of them witnessed for the first time in like, the 90s/00s in Russia. People recently came around to modern monetary theory, so maybe from the right they started to realize just how much they could take without the whole thing coming down.

I don't deny that there's a class of true-believer dumbasses in some positions of power now, but I don't think that's the reason Trump isn't being removed. I think it's just that the comfortable people have come to the conclusion that they can rock the boat a lot harder than they used to, and are enjoying it. The people in media have got to realize just how strongly they've captured their audience, so they know they can pretty much get them to believe anything they want. Given that, if Trump were truly a liability (to them) they'd ensure he was gone.

Right, they don't want to CRASH the market. But having it do backflips now and then makes shorts and day trades worth megabucks, doesn't it?

Sounds like you're invested in believing the President can't possibly be that dumb because that would mean we have an utter moron running the country and it makes you feel better not to believe that, despite the mounds and mounds of evidence he's an absolute loving moron with no clue about anything.

HE loving STARED INTO THE SUN DURING AN ECLIPSE. Was that also a performative? He does not know how to close umbrellas. "Harvey was one of the wettest, from the standpoint of water."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people are centrists because our media treats everything as a debate between two sides of equally validity rather than one being correct and the other being totally divorced from reality.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

RandomBlue posted:

HE loving STARED INTO THE SUN DURING AN ECLIPSE.
He flicked his eyes upward and then down again, almost certainly not doing anything to actually damage his eyes, there's just a perfect screengrab.

But don't let me get in the way of your "Trump is dumb as poo poo" argument because he is. To be as ridiculously nerdy as possible in DnD terms I think he has a WIS of about 3 and like INT 8

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

theflyingorc posted:

I think the argument SW and PJ are having comes down to them both being right - the bigger injustice is that the system allowed Trump to win while losing the popular vote, but the more horrifying root problem with America is that Trump was even able to pull 40% of the vote, let alone the 46.1% he pull that allowed him to win while losing.

I'm just tired of seeing that incorrect 45% figure thrown around even though it's been corrected enough times it seems intentional at this point.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Groovelord Neato posted:

people are centrists because our media treats everything as a debate between two sides of equally validity rather than one being correct and the other being totally divorced from reality.
Or more commonly, both being mouthpieces for the aristocracy.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

Sounds like you're invested in believing the President can't possibly be that dumb because that would mean we have an utter moron running the country and it makes you feel better not to believe that, despite the mounds and mounds of evidence he's an absolute loving moron with no clue about anything.

HE loving STARED INTO THE SUN DURING AN ECLIPSE. Was that also a performative? He does not know how to close umbrellas. "Harvey was one of the wettest, from the standpoint of water."

That's really not the point I'm making at all. The president can be a literal corpse and the effect would probably be similar. What I'm calling "performative" isn't him being a moron, it's that his antics are furthering a political end. I'm saying that the pageantry and spectacle of the dumb president is useful to serve the ends of the party he represents, which would still be the case even if he were brilliant.

Or to put it another way: given our current system of misgovernance, who the president is is largely irrelevant. Trump is especially bad at the job of figurehead, but excels at the job of convincing marks to enjoy the extra liberties being taken with them.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

He flicked his eyes upward and then down again, almost certainly not doing anything to actually damage his eyes, there's just a perfect screengrab.

But don't let me get in the way of your "Trump is dumb as poo poo" argument because he is. To be as ridiculously nerdy as possible in DnD terms I think he has a WIS of about 3 and like INT 8

He did it more than once and one of his aides literally had to yell "STOP LOOKING AT THE SUN" at him.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

theflyingorc posted:

Ok, stared was strong, but it wasn't a flick either and he does it twice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0I4f8PasIU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FlamingLiberal posted:

So is Trump going to brag about the very underwhelming jobs report

It is just so very hosed that upon learning of the poo poo jobs report for May and the very large downward revisions of March and April the markets went up because the threat of a recession means the Fed is going to give them more cheap money.

It's like an addict getting excited when the doctor tells them the X-ray shows a broken bone since they might get another opioid script.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ershalim posted:

That's really not the point I'm making at all. The president can be a literal corpse and the effect would probably be similar. What I'm calling "performative" isn't him being a moron, it's that his antics are furthering a political end. I'm saying that the pageantry and spectacle of the dumb president is useful to serve the ends of the party he represents, which would still be the case even if he were brilliant.

Or to put it another way: given our current system of misgovernance, who the president is is largely irrelevant. Trump is especially bad at the job of figurehead, but excels at the job of convincing marks to enjoy the extra liberties being taken with them.

i'm of the mind that the wheels are coming off the wagon. they never wanted the rubes elected - that includes the tea party psychos that have sometimes sunk the things that would've benefited the ultrarich because some piece of legislation wasn't psychotic enough. they wanted people divorced from reality but only to get the paul ryans in power not the true believers.

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1136998359649181696

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ershalim posted:

Performative implies intent, he's a spectacle for sure but it's not "performative". Sure he does have some performative moments when he's at his rallies telling his bullshit stories or on camera making faces, etc... But his moronic actions and beliefs are not.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm of the mind that the wheels are coming off the wagon. they never wanted the rubes elected - that includes the tea party psychos that have sometimes sunk the things that would've benefited the ultrarich because some piece of legislation wasn't psychotic enough. they wanted people divorced from reality but only to get the paul ryans in power not the true believers.

I would prefer if you were right, because that would mean that the eventual end point is one that's bad, but recoverable. I've just been reading and listening to a lot of Masha Gessen, and much of what she describes as the elimination of truth as a point of power seems to be very relevant with our current situation. Trump could never be Putin, but the oligarchical backdrop for Putin is very real in our power structure. I think that the republicans know that, and they intend to do everything they can to sieze and maintain a deathgrip on it, regardless of the consequences to the country in future.

RandomBlue posted:

Performative implies intent, he's a spectacle for sure but it's not "performative". Sure he does have some performative moments when he's at his rallies telling his bullshit stories or on camera making faces, etc... But his moronic actions and beliefs are not.

So yeah, I'm not talking about Trump the person. I'm talking about the Trump administration. I'm sorry that was unclear. Trump dumb. From my perspective, whether he's dumb because he wants to be or dumb because he's a marionette doesn't change the fact that it's a performance. But I can see why you would disagree with that.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 7, 2019

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

lol apparently trump just called mueller

Got any kind of link, story, any information at all or?

By the way, I don't think it does anyone any favors to complain about avocados going from $1.29 to 1.89 or whatever when you're talking about tariffs. It just sounds really stupid and out of touch.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Since apparently the stock market is detached from the actual economy at this point what exactly would need to happen to make it significantly fall?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Since apparently the stock market is detached from the actual economy at this point what exactly would need to happen to make it significantly fall?

Someone needs to blink. The stock market is basically just wishes and "confidence" of a bunch of rich people with fake money. What it does is almost entirely based on mass hysteria and/or blind faith. That it has real-world impact is ... unfortunate.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

beejay posted:

Got any kind of link, story, any information at all or?

By the way, I don't think it does anyone any favors to complain about avocados going from $1.29 to 1.89 or whatever when you're talking about tariffs. It just sounds really stupid and out of touch.

Not to mention that Mexico exports whole lot more than "just" avocados.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Like a third or more of the produce in american grocery stores comes from Mexico. 70% of our veggies and 40% of our fruit imports are from mexico.

Historically, how has making food substantially more expensive gone for people in power, I forget

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, that’s absolutely what I’m trying to get at, emphasis on “horrifying”, and I agree that Trump winning was an injustice, but remedying that injustice doesn’t stop that 40% from occasionally winning and tearing down every piece of progress made

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The tariffs have to actually happen, not 5% briefly and then a deal is announced as they now hope, but they need to creep up and up and up towards 25% to the point where they realize "oh God, they really are going to do this, aren't they".

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

RandomBlue posted:

I'm just tired of seeing that incorrect 45% figure thrown around even though it's been corrected enough times it seems intentional at this point.

My apologies for throwing out the wrong numbers. My point was always “his popularity is still roughly what it was when he was elected”, not about 40 vs 42 vs 45.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Eventually someone cashes out or calls in a debt and it triggers a spiral. One person tells another it's time to pay up, and that person can't so they sell some stock to cover the gap, this causes the stock to go down which causes more people to call to say it's time to pay up, and those people can't cover it so they sell some stock and and and

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
To take my usual antagonism in this thread down a few notches and speak plainly about centrists; in my view the average Centrist* is a genuinely well-intentioned person who is basing their worldview on their lived experience. Within the privileged bubble day and have it, trusting the system, always looking for a compromise, avoiding direct conflict at all costs, and never making an enemy are the best overall strategies for personal success/progress. Building a little bit further on this, their lived experience tells them that not using these strategies is the path to guaranteeing personal destruction and failure, as such they view anyone who's willing to draw a line in the sand as a self-destructing fool.

*Pelosi and Schumer are just privileged dolts out to protect their power/wealth

The real problem is that Centris don't realize that they grew up in a very sheltered bubble tips them from having to learn very basic facets of human behavior (such as how power dynamics play put in the real world). In the world Cenrists have direct experience of- rationality, logic, and factual truth are highly prized. (Or at least virtue signaling that you prize them is the accepted norm in such circles.) As such they think that pointing out logical inconsistencies, hypocrisy, or where facts contradict belief is enough to carry the day.

Another consideration is that their inherent avoidance of all forms of direct conflict has left them weak as newborn babes in the face of a determined opponent. They understand conflict only in terms of control of resources, whoever controls the most resources wins the conflict. Therefore the Centrist idea to resolving conflict usually involves both sides showing how much hurt they could potentially inflict on each other, at the negotiating a truce based on how they think things would play out. (And because they have only known comfort/privelege- they believe that their comfortable lives prove the superiority of their worldview.)

I personally feel that the Centridt conceptualization of conflict is very well represented by this old clip from [i]The Adventures of Pete & Pete where instead of playing kick the cans the kids mathematically calculate the probability of who would win and go from there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDWc66XhvAM&t=149s

There's an old Samuel Clemens quote I that I feel applies to Centrists in this particular situation: "It is often the case that the man who cannot tell a lie believes himself the best judge of one". Replace "lying" with "winning a conflict" and you have Centrists to a tee.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 7, 2019

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I've literally never had a job that wasn't a service job, so that informs what I'm about to say.

Humanity isnt good or evil per say, but they are a reflection of the environments they are raised in. If i had to ascribe a single trait to humanity it would be malleable.

When we look at the ideologies that are currently the point of contention in the US today its not an accident what the general factions are, by popular support we know the entire country is actually quite a bit more left wing than anyone who can get in front of a TV camera (outside of a few historically recent exceptions) are willing to admit.

We have a chance for the entire world to go correct however, we can't make the world just but we can make Justice the norm. Centrists and their ideology are based on the idea that the GOP and the extreme right wing are a legitimate ideology to hold. Which they're not. The thing is, they picked this fight, but they sure as hell aren't going to win it, no matter how many thoughts and prayers they expend on it.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 7, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

skeleton warrior posted:

My apologies for throwing out the wrong numbers. My point was always “his popularity is still roughly what it was when he was elected”, not about 40 vs 42 vs 45.

If he is soundly defeated in 2020 AND if his name is used by Dems in future elections to their clear advantage "Republican X supported Trump, vote against him" (and they do), then his post-presidency approval will get the GWB treatment where a lot of Chuds disavow him.

Right now they think he's their magic strong orange man who will keep getting them supreme court seats and help them gently caress the poors (ie those dark skinned people).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/DraytonJennifer/status/1136808634355146757

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Like a third or more of the produce in american grocery stores comes from Mexico. 70% of our veggies and 40% of our fruit imports are from mexico.

Historically, how has making food substantially more expensive gone for people in power, I forget

Yeah, talking about avocados is code for the immediate tangible impacts of trade policies on consumer prices at the register. It's much easier to get angry when your grocery bill goes up than when you read an article about how some company in another state is now paying more for sheet metal or whatever.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/NYMag/status/1136921751009603584

https://www.cabanforqueens.com/issues/

Goons should check Caban out. She is going to do great things for Queens and fix what is broke with the Justice System there. she has endorsements from all the Progressive groups and AOC. Going to do some solid work there and I cant wait to see more.

I'm voting for her despite her volunteers being a bit annoying. Campaigning on a subway platform is a huge no-no in NYC.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rigel posted:

If he is soundly defeated in 2020 AND if his name is used by Dems in future elections to their clear advantage "Republican X supported Trump, vote against him" (and they do), then his post-presidency approval will get the GWB treatment where a lot of Chuds disavow him.

Bad news about GWB's approval rating, if that's what you're hoping for: https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html

It's at like 60% now

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Rigel posted:

The tariffs have to actually happen, not 5% briefly and then a deal is announced as they now hope, but they need to creep up and up and up towards 25% to the point where they realize "oh God, they really are going to do this, aren't they".

Pardon my ignorance in details, but isn't that roughly what happened with Hitler and the corporate influencers of state in pre WWII Germany? He was supported as a sort of controllable asset at first, then things went as we know them now? Trump is easily not smart enough to know what's good for him, but just cogent enough to know that he loves attention and will pursue whatever course of action his lizard brain recognizes will help that simple goal. A Dimwitler, if you will.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Ershalim posted:

Bad news about GWB's approval rating, if that's what you're hoping for: https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/22/politics/george-w-bush-favorable-poll/index.html

It's at like 60% now

I'm going to blame Trump for at least some of that. GWB's fallen star was still extremely useful to the Dems for a very long time.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Poor old stock market, thought about inflation and died

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Watching HBO’s Chernobyl and you can definitely see some parallels with today’s use of “fake news”.

Trump is definitely the guy who yells at the engineer who is clearly suffering from radiation burns and will clearly die about how it’s not true the reactor blew.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ringo Star Get posted:

Watching HBO’s Chernobyl and you can definitely see some parallels with today’s use of “fake news”.

Trump is definitely the guy who yells at the engineer who is clearly suffering from radiation burns and will clearly die about how it’s not true the reactor blew.

trump: not great, not awful

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1136836470570774534

Just so tired of all this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ershalim posted:

It's at like 60% now

Because he sat down, shut up, and went away. His only public appearances are at funerals and charity events.

Now, imagine Trump as an ex-president.