Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I've got a fairly quick question; so I decided to get a new modem and went off of the suggestions earlier in the thread, didn't pay a whole lot of attention to specifications, and got an Arris Surfboard SB6190 with the intention of hooking my desktop up to it directly. Turns out it only has one ethernet port, and my understanding is that you don't want to plug anything other than a router into the first port, should I get a modem or am I probably gonna be fine hooking it to my desktop?

You really at least want a router, preferentially something with gigabit ports (which is drat near any router). Most will also have wifi built in, but you can turn it off if you are going via ethernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

H110Hawk posted:

I didn't see any replies to this (or I'm blind, going back several pages searching for "amplifi" only got this post.) I'm also curious about this as it seems to be exactly what I want. Multiple APs with hardwired ethernet backhaul and a couple ethernet ports in each one. Right now my aging Asus RT-U56N is slowing to a crawl when too many high PPS clients flow through it (think Mac OS Time Machine) such to the point it's kicking people off the wifi. I am extending my home network into a detached garage+office space and want a single wifi network my clients can roam between.

Since then I noticed they had the UDM which seems like a more expensive but more capable machine. It's available on their early access shop

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

H110Hawk posted:

I didn't see any replies to this (or I'm blind, going back several pages searching for "amplifi" only got this post.)

some replies:

Huge_Midget posted:

In other news, is there a recommended wireless mesh system that this thread recommends? I did not see any mentions in the OP, and as much as I would love to have a proper Edgerouter / PoE switch / Unifi AP setup, my current dwelling is a no go for such a setup. The Orbi seemed perfect for my needs, and the dedicated backhaul radios definitely made them very fast. Does anyone have experience with the Amplifi HD mesh system?

chutwig posted:

I have Amplifi HD to spread wifi across my very vertical 4-story North Jersey house. Base station is in the basement, one mesh antenna on the first floor, one on the second. In about 2 years of ownership, I have noticed the system twice, once when the DNS cache on the router got weird and it needed rebooted, and once when one of the mesh antenna power bases started flaking out and that AP went offline. Ubiquiti sent me a replacement in 2 days.

Aside from that, the system’s been great. It just works and I have no particular complaints about it. It is fairly simple by design, so you may not be able to fit it into some brilliant home networking scheme where all your IoT stuff is on its own VLAN and each room is its own AS, but it does exactly what I bought it to do.

MomJeans420 posted:

*edit*
Also in terms of home routers, I was going to go full Ubiquiti but then realized their AmpliFi would do all I need. I've been super impressed with it, everything about it works very well, and that's after being the type of user who would insist on control and use Tomato or some aftermarket firmware for years now.

most relevantly though:

SlowBloke posted:

UDM is a brand new platform which is likely to be the foundation for all their future routing products, unlike the current er or usg, it uses raw cpu compute power instead of relying on discrete acceleration in the cavium SoC meaning updates are going to be easier and more timely. You might lose all the finesse vyatta/vyoss can provide but at least you will have a relatively up-to-date linux kernel(instead of what the cavium sdk has) and software modules.

Thay have just released the wifi uplinked UDM beacon, pretty much making amplifi a evolutionary dead end.

AmpliFi is their home-targetted phone-app-driven consumer marketed product. It's going to get minor security updates but unlikely to get any major feature additions or expansion beyond what's already been manufactured. The next gen of hardware is already out or is coming down the pipelines. AmpliFi is ~3 years old now. That's about the length of the product lifecycle for WiFi kit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I have a Unifi specific question. I turned on IPS and I am getting hella alerts from both the Spamhaus tag and the TOR tag. I am assuming this just means that folks are sniffing around trying to get into my network, not specifically that anyone got in? I don't use any of the default passwords on my USG so I don't know that they'd be able to brute force it. Just want to make sure I'm not letting some russian dude run roughshod over all my data.

e: looking at the traffic logs, it is all going to a specific computer that adds a bit more information. I have qbittorrent running on one PC, and it looks like they are scanning the port that I have open for that. Is there some ipsec option to only allow p2p type of traffic from that port or is it just going to be a byproduct of having to have a connectable port?

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 6, 2019

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Sad Panda posted:

Oh really? I had thought say if you have your router and a couple of disparate WAPs that you would give them different names because it's not proper mesh and therefore won't handle the transition properly and by having 3 different SSIDs you can tell it when to move? If I'm wrong I'll happily change them all to the same one and see if it improves matters.

Got my two routers (one as an AP) up and running with the same SSID's. My clients do transition from one to the other but it isn't always perfect. It seems to hang onto the farther away, poorer connection a long time before switching to the closer one, if it all. YMMV.

Semi-related, when I was setting everything up, I had to do a rest on both routers due to some TP-LINK weirdness. Today I noticed that somehow the access PIN number for the Plex server that I run from this network was changed. I went in and changed the password and PIN, but could someone have pwned my network while the routers had the default admin/admin logins for a few minutes?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

AmpliFi is their home-targetted phone-app-driven consumer marketed product. It's going to get minor security updates but unlikely to get any major feature additions or expansion beyond what's already been manufactured. The next gen of hardware is already out or is coming down the pipelines. AmpliFi is ~3 years old now. That's about the length of the product lifecycle for WiFi kit.

Thanks for that readers digest, I appreciate it. Looks like I gave up 1-2 pages early. If I don't really care about new features am I locking myself in to disappointment? The sum total of the features I use are in the glossy brochure (static lease, disable internet access for sketchy ip cam.) Or should I just buy a ER-X and 2 in-wall/ceiling APs and call it a day so I get flexibility down the road?

I will know more once I find out if I'm able to actually get an ethernet cord to my garage without spending thousand(s) of dollars. If I can't, then suddenly I'm looking at a mesh solution no matter what.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

skipdogg posted:

I did DSL tech support for a few years in the early/mid 00's. Lots of stuff can screw with the signal. A memorable example is someone had a treadmill plugged into the same outlet as their cordless phone. Everytime the person used the treadmill it knocked out their neighbors DSL line. That affected the physical signal though which is different than whats happening with you.

Powerline adapters are also famous for degrading VDSL signals.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks for that readers digest, I appreciate it. Looks like I gave up 1-2 pages early. If I don't really care about new features am I locking myself in to disappointment? The sum total of the features I use are in the glossy brochure (static lease, disable internet access for sketchy ip cam.) Or should I just buy a ER-X and 2 in-wall/ceiling APs and call it a day so I get flexibility down the road?

I will know more once I find out if I'm able to actually get an ethernet cord to my garage without spending thousand(s) of dollars. If I can't, then suddenly I'm looking at a mesh solution no matter what.

You'll probably be fine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

H110Hawk posted:

From what i have heard the core routing part of amplifi was the weakest point, if you have a cable/fiber line over 500mbps in download i would suggest looking elsewhere

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

willroc7 posted:

Semi-related, when I was setting everything up, I had to do a rest on both routers due to some TP-LINK weirdness. Today I noticed that somehow the access PIN number for the Plex server that I run from this network was changed. I went in and changed the password and PIN, but could someone have pwned my network while the routers had the default admin/admin logins for a few minutes?
With default settings any recent home router will only allow the admin/admin access password for the web UI through the LAN side ethernet connection. Via wifi you have to use the WPS access code, and on the WAN side you can't do anything.

Still possible that something inside your network got compromised, but if nothing else besides Plex is different I'd look elsewhere first. Your Plex account might have been hacked if you are reusing passwords or other bad security practices.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

You may want to do a factory reset of your router and at the minimum change the admin code and of course change your Plex password, along with any other site that share either that password or some variation. Possibly even change your WiFi password too.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

With default settings any recent home router will only allow the admin/admin access password for the web UI through the LAN side ethernet connection. Via wifi you have to use the WPS access code, and on the WAN side you can't do anything.

Still possible that something inside your network got compromised, but if nothing else besides Plex is different I'd look elsewhere first. Your Plex account might have been hacked if you are reusing passwords or other bad security practices.

Sites could still attack your router through your browser if you have it set to default values. But I agree that it probably wasn't the reason for the Plex server having a different PIN.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

You really at least want a router, preferentially something with gigabit ports (which is drat near any router). Most will also have wifi built in, but you can turn it off if you are going via ethernet.

I would only end up using this setup for a bit less than two months before I end up on campus internet. Are walmart routers passable if you're primarily using ethernet? I've had a few cheap routers that I connected to by wifi and they were very inconsistent.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Klyith posted:

Thanks. I changed all the things. Still pretty disconcerting though.

In other networking news I found a guy on craigslist selling a couple Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PR's for pretty cheap. Will those provide me with signficantly better range than the TP-LINK AC1900 C9 archers? Even with the second one set up successfully as an access point I'm still not getting the coverage I would like. My house is a 2000sq ft raised ranch, I don't know why I'm having so much difficulty getting full coverage.

edit: Another stupid question: should the access point's wifi signals be on different channels? If so, which ones should I use? Would the Ubiquiti AP's figure this stuff out on their own or will I need even more expertise to get them running correctly?

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 7, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

How does the pfsense UI compare to EdgeOS on ease-of-use?

I'm a very technical person, but I just hate messing with networking. One thing I appreciate about my Edgerouter Lite is that, despite it's big capabilities its very easy to setup and do regular stuff like opening ports and setting up static ips.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I would only end up using this setup for a bit less than two months before I end up on campus internet. Are walmart routers passable if you're primarily using ethernet? I've had a few cheap routers that I connected to by wifi and they were very inconsistent.

I'd just go ahead and plug directly into it. Keep all of your software fully updated and run the Windows firewall at default or higher security settings. You could also buy a used TP-link for pennies on craigslist, if you think you may want wi-fi or to connect more than 1 device in the future.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I agree with just spending 10-20 on a used router on Craigslist and doing a factory reset and just going that direction

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

You'll probably be fine.

SlowBloke posted:

From what i have heard the core routing part of amplifi was the weakest point, if you have a cable/fiber line over 500mbps in download i would suggest looking elsewhere

Thanks! I'm on 50/50 fiber right now because I just don't care enough. The more I thought about it the more I think I like the ER-X + UAP-AC-IW kind of setup.

https://store.ui.com/products/edgerouter-x
https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/products/inwall-ap

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks! I'm on 50/50 fiber right now because I just don't care enough. The more I thought about it the more I think I like the ER-X + UAP-AC-IW kind of setup.

https://store.ui.com/products/edgerouter-x
https://store.ui.com/collections/wireless/products/inwall-ap

The er-x will do fine with that line, i would suggest trying to fit a inwall hd in your budget, the reach is much better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Thermopyle posted:

How does the pfsense UI compare to EdgeOS on ease-of-use?

I'm a very technical person, but I just hate messing with networking. One thing I appreciate about my Edgerouter Lite is that, despite it's big capabilities its very easy to setup and do regular stuff like opening ports and setting up static ips.

They are comparable, pfSense is easy to setup and support, has a lot of the same features, but better support for built in OpenVPN via GUI rather than console.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
If you're good with EdgeOS then you'll not have any real problem with pfSense/OPNsense/etc. It'd be a bit steeper learning curve if you were coming from UniFi gear since that holds your hand a bit more.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
One of the most fiddly parts of PFSense installation is the initial interface assignments.

You need a monitor hooked up to the PFSense box for the installation. Then you either need to know the MAC address of the NICs you are going to use for the WAN and LAN ports ahead of time. Or be able to connect the network cables to them when the initial setup asks, so I can auto detect the port.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What's the go to mesh product for recommending to people who need something easy to set up? Google Wi-fi seems cheap and easy and Amplifi doesn't appear to be very well regarded.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

CubanMissile posted:

What's the go to mesh product for recommending to people who need something easy to set up? Google Wi-fi seems cheap and easy and Amplifi doesn't appear to be very well regarded.

There's nothing particularly wrong with Amplifi. I replaced my Amplifi setup with full Unifi kit last month because I had an electrician in to take care of some other stuff and I had him run some cat6 around the house for me, plus fiber across the basement because how could I not? If you want something easy to set up, Amplifi is very easy to set up - plug router in, plug mesh points in, everything Just Works. I replaced mine with Unifi because I wanted to start doing more elaborate guest network stuff, VLANs for IoT devices, stuff like that. There was no particular problem with the quality of service itself.

(Also, if you want an Amplifi HD setup at a discount that is already known to be functional, I know a guy.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

Google wifi is sketchy Google crap that doesn't want to work when your internet is down and you have to opt out of their data scanning. (My inlaws bought it.)

I ordered 2x nanoHD's and an er-x. Fingers crossed.

I realized that the inwall units cost a decent chunk more and I was trying to force them to be convenient. Reality is that I want one in a hallway on the ceiling and another in a room which currently has no drywall. Just as easy to install the frisbee/ufo form factor if not easier. $160/unit w/poe injector vs $170+$15 for the inwall HD.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

chutwig posted:

There's nothing particularly wrong with Amplifi. I replaced my Amplifi setup with full Unifi kit last month because I had an electrician in to take care of some other stuff and I had him run some cat6 around the house for me, plus fiber across the basement because how could I not? If you want something easy to set up, Amplifi is very easy to set up - plug router in, plug mesh points in, everything Just Works. I replaced mine with Unifi because I wanted to start doing more elaborate guest network stuff, VLANs for IoT devices, stuff like that. There was no particular problem with the quality of service itself.

(Also, if you want an Amplifi HD setup at a discount that is already known to be functional, I know a guy.)

I was always just kinda put off by Amplifi because the two Youtube videos I've watched on it, one from Crosstalk Solutions and I can't remember the other, in both one of the points just stopped working. Didn't seem like a good sign, but obviously very anecdotal.

Thanks for the offer, but my friend isn't currently in the market. This is for a little down the road.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

skipdogg posted:

My go to for un-explainable stuff like this was to have the tech move the customers to a different port on the linecard in case it was something funky there. (or another line card is possible). Ask the tech nicely that it's the 3rd visit out here and it's still not working properly, and if he could move you to a different port or linecard to rule that out as a problem. Tech's hate getting repeat calls, he might be amenable to doing so.

Thanks Ants posted:

If it continues to drop then you either have an issue with your traffic getting handed off to Plusnet, or your Hub is causing it.

Just for closure:

Internet died for good on saturday. Called the ISP and got them to run tests while it was down. Scheduled test engineer no4. Discussed it a bit further and learnt that the ISP were showing lots of historical line faults, while I had seen the BT historical line reports showing zero faults. He ran the test again and I heard a 'uhh, that's odd'

Long story short, engineer was cancelled by Openreach as a fault was already on their system 'Openreach network systems are unable to communicate with the RDSLAM.' and as it is up an running again, I assume someone fixed the FTTC box bolted onto the street cabinet.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Just ordered a couple TP-LINK EAP245 V3's since they were significantly cheaper than the Ubiquiti equivalent and might be a little more user friendly. Will update with a review once I have them up and running. I hope to cover my 2000sq ft home as well as most of the 1.4 acre property.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm having sporadic dropouts from my DSL home network, but only with wired devices. When it occurs they can see the router fine but claim there's no connection from router to internet. Devices connected over WiFi are fine and nothing showed in the router logs when the disconnections happened (both on the ISP supplied router and the TP Link AC1900 I replaced it with). I've tinkered with various router settings including static IPs, echo request intervals etc but it keeps happening.

I'm not sure when it started because previously the only wired devices were my PC and Steam Link, so the majority of traffic was internal and unaffected. The issue happened every now and then when web browsing on the PC but it was easily ignored so I never really investigated it. However we recently got a smart TV and the connection tends to drop when we're streaming things which is more annoying.

We do use powerline adapters for some of the wired connections but the issue affects both them and the connections directly to the router. I know powerline can mess with DSL signals but would it have this kind of effect?

We're far enough from the exchange that our speed caps out at 16mbps so I'm tempted to just use WiFi for everything as we have decent reception through the house and it's not going to be the bottleneck on our connection. The only issue would be latency on the Steam Link.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

If my AP's support band steering should I name my 2.4 and 5ghz networks the same SSID? Or should I leave them separate and let the clients decide which one to connect to?

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Is there a reason to get the Archer C9 over the Archer A9? I can't tell if there are any important differences. MU-MIMO seems like a positive feature of the A9, and the price is lower, which seems odd for a newer model with what appears to be about the same capabilities.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

willroc7 posted:

If my AP's support band steering should I name my 2.4 and 5ghz networks the same SSID? Or should I leave them separate and let the clients decide which one to connect to?

Unless you have a specific reason to separate bands onto their own SSID(s), always assign the same SSID and let your clients decide which one to join.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So i'm moving into a new place and have to use a crappy Broadband provider modem (virgin media Home hub 3.0) which I want to do as little as possible.

I was lucky enough that work gave away one of these https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS716Tv3.aspx for free as it wasn't up to grade.

Just to double check I can go with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X as my router, grab one of their access points for the wifi and if I run out of Ethernet ports on the EdgeRouter just route via the switch right?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That modem is horrible. Lobby your government for the ability to use your own modem.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Unless you have a specific reason to separate bands onto their own SSID(s), always assign the same SSID and let your clients decide which one to join.

Thanks I'll try this. Why don't routers do this by default?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lambert posted:

That modem is horrible. Lobby your government for the ability to use your own modem.

Why i'm putting into Modem Mode As soon as possible

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

willroc7 posted:

Thanks I'll try this. Why don't routers do this by default?

Thats funny, every time I try this it doesn't work out. I always separate my bands so I can pick myself.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Doesn't work out how exactly? What router/AP's were you using?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Probably devices sticking to 2.4 GHz, which has been my experience as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sticking to 2.4Ghz. Also some devices seem to disconnect and reconnect randomly when I do that. Maybe they are jumping between bands? Hard to say.