Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

head58 posted:

I’m in season 7 of DS9. “Alamo” is just code for something, isn’t it?

it's code for Alaimo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're going in there to get an intimate view of the Alaimo. They want to strip it down to its core and get hot and heavy with the Alaimo action

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The actual answer is one of the writers, or producers, I forget which, was really into the Alamo. In fact, it's how Casey Biggs got hired, because he was in some stupid made-for-TV Alamo movie

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like to imagine they're playing through the events of Peewee's Big Adventure

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I like to imagine they're playing through the events of Peewee's Big Adventure

THE STARS NIGHT ARE BIG AND BRIGHT

👏 👏 👏 👏

DEEP IN THE HEART OF BAJOR

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

heh

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I've been watching a bunch of Star Trek in airdate order, thanks to this handy list, starting with the TNG episode where Ro is introduced. I'd finished TNG a couple times before (once when i was eight and we had just bought a box set, once a few years later when I bounced around them randomly) but I'd never seen DS9 or Voyager.
I am in love with DS9, and Voyager is pretty good as well. Watching them like this gives me both a bit of non-Ferengi comic relief, which is closer to emotional labor tbh, in the form of Voyager's more lighthearted episodes that feel like TNG with a bit more leeway in the universe.

Though after several months of Cardassian architecture, and the more...grim? interior of Voyager compared to Enterprise when I was flipping through channels this morning and saw a TNG episode I was suddenly struck by how loving cozy that drat ship looks. There's colors! And lights that work! And the uniforms aren't so drat dark! The tone is so different but the shift was so gradual I hadn't really noticed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
BBC America airs Yovager reruns and it occurred to me that randomly putting on a Voyager episodes, on their own with not outside context. Most of the episodes have been ok (not good, not great but decent). But taken in totality on the show make them worse, it's kinda weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

BBC America airs Yovager reruns and it occurred to me that randomly putting on a Voyager episodes, on their own with not outside context. Most of the episodes have been ok (not good, not great but decent). But taken in totality on the show make them worse, it's kinda weird.

I've had the same reaction to more Voyager episodes than I thought possible due to this, but when a bad one comes up it makes it all the worse.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I skipped the three episodes in season 2 that are apparently nicknamed the trio of terror or something because I got through about 1 1/4 of them and did noit enjoy them at all. Other than those (and the warp 10 episode) all the others have at least been bearable watching them this way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

curiousTerminal posted:

I skipped the three episodes in season 2 that are apparently nicknamed the trio of terror or something because I got through about 1 1/4 of them and did noit enjoy them at all. Other than those (and the warp 10 episode) all the others have at least been bearable watching them this way.

I genuinely hope you enjoy watching Janeway's gradual slide into madness.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Since Kate Mulgrew stated she played it as such, I like to believe her unraveling is canon

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

HD DAD posted:

Since Kate Mulgrew stated she played it as such, I like to believe her unraveling is canon

Did anyone ever find a source for this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's just one of the pieces of thread mythology, nobody's ever posted any quote or source.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Despite not really "getting" DS9, that reached one of the same conclusions as this thread.

Ugh goddamn this loving "lol worf's a weeaboo" take annoys me more every time I see it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Of all the wildly hyperbolic and quite frequently oblique takes we get up to in here, that is the most direct and accurate one we've got.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's just one of the pieces of thread mythology, nobody's ever posted any quote or source.

Oh like how Ethan Phillips used to buy everyone live animals like gerbils and anoles for their birthdays

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ugh goddamn this loving "lol worf's a weeaboo" take annoys me more every time I see it.

It's actually about Dax in this case, which is even more accurate than Worf.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the important thing is we need to keep our star trek jokes increasingly abstruse, weird, and insular. "weeaboo worf" has reached the casuals. it is not for us now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Great Hallyu of Kahless

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Calling a character that was actually born as a member of an ethnic group and spent the earlier parts of his life being socialized into their culture a "weaboo" is the equivalent of calling a character who's actually Asian one.

And I've seen that, a lot.

The only thinking making doing it to Worf less offensive is that Klingons aren't real.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The quote in the episode referenced was referring to Jadzia not Worf

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
on the one hand, i'm glad this wasn't enough "worf/weeaboo" thing after all

on the other hand, i'm disappointed by the continued Greatest Generation chat. :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Calling a character that was actually born as a member of an ethnic group and spent the earlier parts of his life being socialized into their culture a "weaboo" is the equivalent of calling a character who's actually Asian one.

And I've seen that, a lot.

The only thinking making doing it to Worf less offensive is that Klingons aren't real.

Worf's entire journey across two shows is his preconceived notion of what Klingon honor and empire are and the continual struggle to adapt and find his place within the reality that is a less-than-honorable and almost cowardly people he almost entirely can't identify with. I think it's apt, if broadly pithy and if we don't do that here I don't know what else we've made nearly 60K posts about. It's pretty clear no-one is being actually lovely about it in that way.

E: Worf is practically DS9's Janeway in that his level of comfort with Klingon culture is dependent entirely on the story being told - with the exception of a couple episodes that have some definite, linear throughput on his status and positions - and he frequently vacillates between the Ur-Klingon and Weekend Klingon.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 10, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lamo nice boobs

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Orv posted:

Worf's entire journey across two shows is his preconceived notion of what Klingon honor and empire are and the continual struggle to adapt and find his place within the reality that is a less-than-honorable and almost cowardly people he almost entirely can't identify with. I think it's apt, if broadly pithy and if we don't do that here I don't know what else we've made nearly 60K posts about. It's pretty clear no-one is being actually lovely about it in that way.

E: Worf is practically DS9's Janeway in that his level of comfort with Klingon culture is dependent entirely on the story being told - with the exception of a couple episodes that have some definite, linear throughput on his status and positions - and he frequently vacillates between the Ur-Klingon and Weekend Klingon.

Hes a complicated man and no one understands him but his woman

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

lamo nice boobs

that ain't the only part of his body peepin' through the spacesuit in that scene

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
broke: big data
woke: thicc data

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I genuinely hope you enjoy watching Janeway's gradual slide into madness.

HD DAD posted:

That's one of the things I'm looking forward to most. I mentioned to my roommate that Janeway was becoming one of my favorite Trek Captains and she said "Janeway is my favorite crazed war criminal!" and that just made me enjoy her more

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

So much of Voyager is just overwhelmingly average that when you watch an episode in isolation you can assume it's a a mid/lower tier episode. Then you watch a bunch in a row and realise many of those episodes are meant to be the big ones.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh right this is the Voyager climate change episode which is now aggressively poignant. Also guest starring easy runners up in most terrible Trek alien design.

E: Tom Paris also doing his best Kira on This Week In Terrorism Day impression.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 11, 2019

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Orv posted:

Worf's story is essentially one of an "idealized" immigrant. Not quite fitting into his own culture, not quite completely fitting into Federation culture. He takes the parts of the cultures that speaks to him and it just happens to be the best parts which Picard points out. The honor of an idealized Klingon and the compassion of an idealized human. But he so far removed from Klingon culture as time goes out it's a culture that becomes increasingly foreign and almost unrecognizable.

Honestly, it's why K'hyler and Ezri (and Riker to an extent) are good foils for Worf. They can point out the bullshit and he respects them enough to listen. Jadzia is almost the opposite, too blindly loyal to a culture she also barely understands.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1137755266919948288

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

That's it. It came to me in a flash of insight. That's what Discovery is: Star Trek Minus Star Trek.

Orv
May 4, 2011

This twitter is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Quentin Tarantino Confirms His Star Trek Movie Will Be Rated R

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019/06/11/star-trek-quentin-tarantino-movie-r-rated/

quote:

Quentin Tarantino plans on making the Star Trek universe a little bloodier. Tarantino’s proposed Star Trek movie is still percolating at Paramount Pictures. Tarantino’s involvement comes with a certain expectation about the level of violence and language that will be in the film, both of which are uncharacteristic of past Star Trek movies. This has led to some speculation about whether his Star Trek film would be rated R.

Fans can put that speculation to rest. Speaking to Empire Magazine, Tarantino confirms that if he’s going to make a Star Trek movie, that movie will be rated R. “Oh yeah!” Tarantino says. “It’s an R-rated movie. If I do it, it’ll be R-rated.”

In the past, Star Trek film star Karl Urban has discussed why it is that Tarantino would want to make an R-rated Star Trek movie, and it isn't for cheap curse words. “You shouldn’t worry that it is going to be full of obscenity and stuff,” he said. “He wants an R-rating to really make those beats of consequence land. If it’s not PG, if someone gets sucked out into space, which we have all seen before, we might see them get disemboweled first…It allows some breadth…gives him some leeway to do that. To me, that was always one of the things I loved about what DeForest Kelley did. He would actually capture the horror of space. That look in his eyes of sheer terror always struck me when I was a kid.”

Zachary Quinto, who plays Spock in the films, has also noted that Tarantino's film would be R-rated. “We're waiting on specifics,” Quinto says. “I'm thrilled that we might have the opportunity to work with [Tarantino] and see what he would do with us in this universe. It's going to be an R-rated version of Star Trek, which would be the first (in) the movies, and that's exciting. I've been a fan of his for years, and I'm really inspired by his originality. Take that originality and mix it with this world full of incredible ideology and colorful characters, and the result could be pretty thrilling.”