Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rhonne posted:

I kind of wanted to play though the story as RDM, but then I remembered that Alisaie will be there and I can't have two RDMs showing up in cutscenes! Everyone has to be different jobs! I'll probably just stick with SAM, I doubt we're bringing any more of those to the First.

Excuse me, but the more magical musketeers the better IMO.

Pictured: two red mages in cutscenes, scandalous!

I really hope that whole "only one job quest" thing I heard about means its just one really long, involved quest. I want more adventures with X'Rhun and Arya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Rhonne posted:

You think the Crystal Tower on the First has been sealed shut for hundreds of years like ours? People are probably going to freak out when the door opens one day and we walk out and immediately start killing everything.

I cannot believe that all these times I got Labyrinth of the Ancients in alliance roulette was to prepare for when we finally do it backwards to get out of there.

Would actually be hilarious if the first duty was just doing the lvl 50 bonezone at lvl 70.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

HiKaizer posted:

To undermine the efforts the Scions were making with dealing with the Primals in Eorzea, so that Gaius would be able to sweep in with Ultima Weapon and save the "Savages".

I feel like they could have slaughtered the Scions without the dumb mind control plot, since their gate guard was friggin' Tataru.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Captain Cappy posted:

I feel like they could have slaughtered the Scions without the dumb mind control plot, since their gate guard was friggin' Tataru.

If Tataru says you're not allowed in that's it. You're not getting in.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've mained PLD through both expansions' opening MSQs, so I'm tempted to take it to the end of ShB as well, but I'm really interested in GNB. I'm probably going to fantasia on day one to Hrothgar, and that will inform a lot of my glamour decisions and change my relationship to my jobs.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Paladin (and tanking in general) is looking like epic win so I'm definitely sticking with it for this expansion. Hopefully nothing dumb happens like it doing terrible DPS or something.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vermain posted:

What is the quality intrinsic to an MMO as a medium that prevents it from dealing with subjects like existentialism and identity in its narrative?

In this particular case, because Bioshock and to a certain extent Torment present a world of limited scope, with defined enough parameters that the portrait of the main character they get is more or less bounded by what the games' creators decide to give us. The Bioshock guy does not, in any conceivable run through, buy a house, become an expert chef, get married to someone he meets underwater, ERP with five cat boys, or whatever else. Everyone he interacts with is scripted, every scenario he encounters is choreographed precisely to tell the story Bioshock was designed to tell.

In FFXIV we have a main scenario, side scenarios, and good ones at that, but the lived space of the game is much more flexible, not only because we have more leeway to stray off track and do other stuff, but also because the people we interact with are, in many cases, other players.

Your question about mental illness is interesting because it makes sense if the WoL is recklessly selfless, maybe, but the WoL is not necessarily that. Within the MSQ, we see the WoL definitely go out of their way to help people with little hope for (good) reward, and occasionally, as in 4.55 or the DRK quests, push themselves to a temporary breaking point, but 4.55 is special circumstances-- what were we going to do, just sit at home, let our friends die, and have the Garlaean army overrun the continent again? What we're shown, broadly, is just that the WoL is someone motivated to help, or motivated to fight, and generally has goals and sympathies that line up with certain overlapping sets of characters and factions.

Being helpful and courageous isn't pathological-- ok, maybe wanting to fight all the time is, but you know. And the story we're told isn't really a story, overall, about someone being driven, in a manic way, to burn themselves out in frenzies of altruism. Because as an MMO we are given a lot of free time, and a lot of wiggle room to imagine our own WoLs how we want to imagine them. I know my WoL is a married multimillionaire with a huge house and a lot of friends, who, given how much time I spend AFK in the Gold Saucer, is apparently permanently on vacation, so it isn't like her duties liberating countries here and there has really ruined her social life. This is a strength and a flaw-- it's why being chased out of Ul'Dah was so temporary, because duh, we need to go there to learn how to weave and goldsmith and such, because, fundamentally, this game is about providing a space to cultivate free time in I guess.

Which is fine! And the kind of game you're describing, where the premises of the genre are undercut by increasingly jarring and alienating demonstrations of stress and trauma, can be extremely good too-- a la Automata or MGS2 or Planescape: Torment. But I don't think an MMORPG is a good medium for those kinds of stories, because, ultimately, it almost has to revert to being the vehicle for an endless simulated weekend, and it has to position both the player character and the setting as essentially stable in a lot of ways.

Like, let's say Holly Hambone is in fact tempered. Under Hydaelyn's influence she does quests, she gets tomestones, she fights evil, but she also mostly sits around fishing and doing backflips in town a bunch. What would she do differently if she snapped out of it? Not do quests? Do quests for assholes instead of for people fighting the evil empire? I don't know if that sounds like a compelling turn.

Edit: OK, I guess SW:TOR does a pretty good job of presenting an open-world MMORPG where, in some of the class stories, the rug is pulled out from under you at various points about who you, as a player character, are, and why you're doing what you're doing. But, tellingly, I think that kind of erodes a way abit as the game settled into an end-game rhythm, where it did have to reckon with the openness of how time is spent in end-game MMORPGs. But it is an example of how the kind of storytelling you're proposing is not necessarily antithetical to the way MMORPGs work, and in fact can actually lead to a really great and interesting experience.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 12, 2019

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

The only person who tempered me is Rowena, that's why I go into a fugue state and farm dungeons to get old USB drives I can trade for fashion items for several weeks every few months.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm just hoping for more story in the vein of DRK, where you do get way more response options versus (punch palm, nod) or (frown). I don't need a 7 option clickwheel personality choice dialogue for every npc convo just something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

funkmeister posted:

Obviously, the WoL way to reconcile the two is to beat them up at the same time.

ah, the nanoha school of friendship through superior firepower

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Archyduchess posted:

ERP with five cat boys,

Dude SHUT UP don't tell everyone!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah if the story is “you untemper and then stop adventuring because this is now a deep indie rpg about death” then the story is “over,” whether for good or for a break before Big Alph rides his carbuncle to your ranch to get you back into the game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The DRK quest is bad because I never get tired of helping folk out with small problems.

I did every sidequest for a reason.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Here's a Famitsu interview with Yoshi-P from this morning. Lots details to be picked out of it.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201906/12177919.html

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Hmm, had to use Google translate, but it looks like they are trying some RNG mitigation stuff for drops in the new raids. Apparently accessory "boxes" and weapon "boxes" drop and you get rewards for what job you are when you open it? Not sure with the janky translation but that might be nice. Also something about getting multiple weapons per week?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It sounds like they're moving away from first half > checkpoint > second half for savage 4th floors because it makes the overall fight too long. Also accessing retainers from the first will be annoying since retainer bells apparently don't work across dimensions.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Nessus posted:

Yeah if the story is “you untemper and then stop adventuring because this is now a deep indie rpg about death” then the story is “over,” whether for good or for a break before Big Alph rides his carbuncle to your ranch to get you back into the game.

I'd be down for FFXIV Deadwood for sure.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

Hmm, had to use Google translate, but it looks like they are trying some RNG mitigation stuff for drops in the new raids. Apparently accessory "boxes" and weapon "boxes" drop and you get rewards for what job you are when you open it? Not sure with the janky translation but that might be nice. Also something about getting multiple weapons per week?

This was in an earlier interview too, and that's in theory exactly what they're doing - instead of "my group got MNK chest 5 weeks in a row" its "my group got chest box 5 weeks in a row and 5 different people got it for their played job".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Also accessing retainers from the first will be annoying since retainer bells apparently don't work across dimensions.

We need some DoH quests to craft inter-dimensional retainer bells.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

We need some DoH quests to craft inter-dimensional retainer bells.

..actually you're not too far off I guess:

quote:

Retainers and market boards will be accessbile at The First as usual. The story will explain why that is possible, but gameplay-wise nothing will change. However you will have to complete that part of the main scenario, which should be fairly early, to enable this.

There's a summary of the interview on the subreddit. A few interesting bits there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And if I'm reading this right, the extreme/Savage versions will just be your delusional remembrances of how hard you thought the fight was.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Kurieg posted:

And if I'm reading this right, the extreme/Savage versions will just be your delusional remembrances of how hard you thought the fight was.

That's awesome. If that worked for all fights, Titan savage/extreme would be absolutely impossible for a lot of people!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

That's awesome. If that worked for all fights, Titan savage/extreme would be absolutely impossible for a lot of people!

Some subset of WoW players are currently discovering that the vanilla game is nowhere near as hard as they remember it to be with the advent of WoW classic. Titan _hard_ would be impossible for a lot of people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey, did you all know that if you're in a roulette dungeon, and you're dead when the final boss dies, you get NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL? No XP for the boss, no XP for the dungeon, and definitely no XP for the roulette, even though the duty finder says you received your reward for the day!

I just found this out the hard way!!! :thumbsup:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rhonne posted:

So have they explained how the New Game+ stuff is going to work? Will I be able to replay any quest in the game? Can I use it to level up my other jobs?

I expect we'll have fine details about it on Friday, since it's one of the upcoming features they have talked about very little since announcing it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it would be cool if NG+ just warped you around to the different locations/cutscenes/instances with EchoVision(tm) from selecting a questline to replay in The Unending Journey or whatever they use

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LegionAreI posted:

With the arena ending up the size of a postage stamp

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

aers posted:

This was in an earlier interview too, and that's in theory exactly what they're doing - instead of "my group got MNK chest 5 weeks in a row" its "my group got chest box 5 weeks in a row and 5 different people got it for their played job".

My team and I cleared O12s 8 times total, enough to get everyone their main BiS and all.

We saw 5 healing coats.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fister Roboto posted:

Hey, did you all know that if you're in a roulette dungeon, and you're dead when the final boss dies, you get NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL? No XP for the boss, no XP for the dungeon, and definitely no XP for the roulette, even though the duty finder says you received your reward for the day!

Are you sure you weren't on a level 70 job? I feel like this would have come up before now otherwise.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

aers posted:

Some subset of WoW players are currently discovering that the vanilla game is nowhere near as hard as they remember it to be with the advent of WoW classic. Titan _hard_ would be impossible for a lot of people.

Titan Hard was bullshit because of the horrible ping you had during ARR. If you've bitched about being hit in aoes now oh boy was it horrible in ARR.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Canine Conspiracy posted:

The only person who tempered me is Rowena, that's why I go into a fugue state and farm dungeons to get old USB drives I can trade for fashion items for several weeks every few months.

Been tempered by capitalism.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Sounds like a bug, I'm certain I've received XP while dead before.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Fister Roboto posted:

I have never experienced this and have in fact leveled up several times while eating floor at the end of a bad dungeon/PotD.

Actually now that I think about it, the last time was hitting 70 on AST where I died in The Praetorium because I tunneled on Lahabrea while watching Netflix.

Givin fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 12, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I was thinking about playing ninja this expansion, but now that my brother is not playing drk but probably playing gunbreaker im tempted to keep playing drg or swap to blm.

I might just finish leveling rdm or bard up to 70 while i wait the servers to stop exploding and my bro to catch up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Are you sure you weren't on a level 70 job? I feel like this would have come up before now otherwise.

Absolutely certain. Chatlog screenshot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh gently caress, I'm an idiot. I didn't get the roulette bonus because the daily reset hasn't happened yet :hurr:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh gently caress, I'm an idiot. I didn't get the roulette bonus because the daily reset hasn't happened yet :hurr:

:lol: this is an even better result

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

:downsbravo:

I've done that before. It happens. Usually it's around when Daylight Savings starts/ends because the reset time shifts forward/back an hour.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I thought Dragoon was the best melee DPS, and it was the first one I got to 70 (after all three tanks), but I started playing Samurai again and now I'm so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Xalidur posted:

I thought Dragoon was the best melee DPS, and it was the first one I got to 70 (after all three tanks), but I started playing Samurai again and now I'm so confused.

Do not be confused. Samurai is the best, you're making the correct choice.