Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm an expert idiot who solved the Zelda timeline before they officially revealed it, and this is my take: you can take the plots of any two Zelda games and connect them in a cool and satisfying way, especially if those two came out consecutively or otherwise have direct references to each other. It only starts to get stupid when you introduce a third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think it would be interesting if Zelda has to be the one who goes outside Hyrule to find help and transverse new cultures.

Wait, Hyrule isn't the only nation state in the world? Every not-Hyrule I can think of is extradimensional.

Honestly, though, I'd be interested to see why no bordering nation even checked on them, let alone sending relief efforts or annexing the remains of the kingdom.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Wait, Hyrule isn't the only nation state in the world? Every not-Hyrule I can think of is extradimensional.

Honestly, though, I'd be interested to see why no bordering nation even checked on them, let alone sending relief efforts or annexing the remains of the kingdom.

"Hyrule is weak and ripe for the taking! Send in the army!"
[I]Two weeks pass[\i]
"Hyrule is a blasted hellscape where the dead monsters roam only until they are recreated by their god, who we can see floating at all times. Let's go invade somewhere that we can actually subjugate."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The ending of Wind Waker, and the setting of Phantom Hourglass, are both explicitly lands outside of Hyrule. Spirit Tracks takes place long after both those games, and is set in New Hyrule, which is storywise a completely different place from Hyrule. There's also an old Zelda game that takes place in a land called Gamelon...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Argue posted:

The ending of Wind Waker, and the setting of Phantom Hourglass, are both explicitly lands outside of Hyrule. Spirit Tracks takes place long after both those games, and is set in New Hyrule, which is storywise a completely different place from Hyrule. There's also an old Zelda game that takes place in a land called Gamelon...

I always had the impression that Labrynna and the other Oracle country were places you could walk to rather than needing magical travel to get there as well (viz Impa). And Koholint, when it exists....

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Hytopia from Triforce Heroes is the only one I know that isn't in another dimension.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Hyrule is fairly explicitly a kind of confederated kingdom in BotW: the big Kingdom of Hyrule plus the smaller Rito, Zora, Goron and Gerudo kingdoms/chiefdoms/tribes.

It was already like that back in Ocarina of Time, you could only enter the Goron and Zora lands with permission from the royal family, and the Gerudo were explicitly independent.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I don't think playable Zelda is 100% confirmed, but I'd say there's a pretty good chance of it. Nintendo listens to feedback. After only a few days they decided to bring playing with friends to Mario Maker, and Zelda team is known for listening to fans. Maybe a bit too much. Backlash to Wind Waker got us Twilight Princess. Reaction to that and sudden love for WW led to Skyward Sword. Overly tutorialized Skyward Sword made people want something open and less formulaic, and here it was. With Breath of the Wild playable Zelda was a topic of discussion for quite a bit, so I feel like she's at the very least going to be a major part of the story, possibly a companion character.

Gotta say, I know that's not the opinion of the majority, but I loved Ganon in BotW. Just a mess created by his own hatred and fused with different poo poo. I still hope he's more of a character this time, but I loved the darker spin on him. Or, well, I hope the antagonist has more of a character, whoever that is. Trailer was so weird that I can only imagine that we saw Ganon's body, but I didn't understand anything else going on.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I liked Ganon as a monstrous, spiteful force of nature, but I did not like fighting similar Ganon copies five times

I hope we get more amazing dungeons in the vein of Hyrule Castle, and just more stuff in general. More enemy types on the level of Lynels, for instance. Not sure how they'd do it, but I would also like an entirely different overworld, not a reused map. Just have Zelda fall into the earth and reappear in an upside-down continent where gravity works in reverse. Bam, instant Lorule.

Oh, and playing as Zelda would be rad, at least as an option or something

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

lezard_valeth posted:

They use this image to support that theory

Which is something that always bugged me when I played the game since it clearly looks like Ganondorf and not Link.

it's got a green tunic and wears boots, looks like link to me.

honestly don't care about being able to play as Zelda. I just want this thing to be as good as botw and hopefully released within the next 12-18 months.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

lezard_valeth posted:

Which is something that always bugged me when I played the game since it clearly looks like Ganondorf and not Link.

At the same time I'm a bit skeptical because the only reason we got BoTW2 is because BoTW did really really really really really hecking well, so it feels a bit weird that they would put this continuity hook in a game they might not have had a sequel planned for.

Or maybe Nintendo was super confident it was going to do really really really really really hecking well

I always assumed this was the mythologised version of Link.

"No one knows how old Ganon is but if you ask me, and most people do, he's ten thousand years if he's a day."
"And no one's ever defeated him?"
"Well, one fella came close. Went by the name of Link. Seven feet tall he was, with arms like tree trunks. And his eyes were like steel, cold and hard. Had a shock of hair, red, like the fires of hell."

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 12, 2019

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lezard_valeth posted:

At the same time I'm a bit skeptical because the only reason we got BoTW2 is because BoTW did really really really really really hecking well, so it feels a bit weird that they would put this continuity hook in a game they might not have had a sequel planned for.

Or maybe Nintendo was super confident it was going to do really really really really really hecking well

doubt its ganondorf, but that image link is 100% a gerudo and i'd bet that "hero" is the corpse in the botw2 trailer rather than actual ganondorf. but what do i know, probably would will be ganondorf reincarnated or something, be a nice other mix up when you play as zelda too.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
That tapestry is stylized so that I didn't really think anything looked like its modern version except for the guardians and divine beasts. It being the original hero or an ancient Ganondorf makes sense to me though. I'm really hoping that trailer is just taken from the opening cinematic and there's so much more to be revealed.

The music sounds like the sacred realm music but in an off key and with that rapid fade in/out effect.

e. Do we have enough Ganondorfs now to make each dessicated corpse its own temple guardian for one of eight dungeons? Because I want that now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's actually tingle

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

superjew posted:

The music sounds like the sacred realm music but in an off key and with that rapid fade in/out effect.

I don’t hear it myself, but a few people on Reddit are comparing it to the game over theme from Zelda 1.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The sound effects the very start reminded me strongly of Twilight Process even before I realized it was a Zelda thing

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's actually tingle

plot twist

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I am concerned with 2 things in this trailer. Is that buffalo okay and can I register it at the drat stables?

Also the castle was totally preparing for lift off.

Edit: actually a little worried about the rat too.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 12, 2019

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

The sound effects the very start reminded me strongly of Twilight Process even before I realized it was a Zelda thing

Yeah, huge TP vibe. I wonder how difficult it is to run a dark world/twilight realm dual world system with BOTW.

I don't hear the game over music, I really hear the sacred realm slowed down and shifted in key:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCfmqdpH2qs

Minus the choral part.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

BexGu posted:

Time to play the trailer in reverse and desend into madness looking for clues!

https://youtu.be/1UIXAuceNzA

So I listened to this and then the regular trailer.

At 46s into the reversed one you can hear someone or something whisper, "help us, help us". Which matches the placement of the unintelligible whispering in the regular trailer.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 12, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Hyrule's one of those places that's a nightmare to live in but people do anyway because they can't be bothered to move next door to the kingdom that ISN'T beset by the personification of evil on a regular basis.

Alternately, everywhere else is also in the process of being destroyed by the Disaster Brahnon and are waiting for the prophesied hero in a stupid looking red vest to save them.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 12, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you can play as Zelda they need to name the game The Legend of Link

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you can play as Zelda they need to name the game The Legend of Link

LOL

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Man I know people really want to play as Zelda (I would love that too) but the level of hype and discussion about this possibility based on like 30 seconds of cutscene footage is absurd. Most of the cutscenes in BotW were Zelda-centric too. Having a cutscene show more Zelda doesn't mean jack poo poo.

I remember the first BotW cutscene with Link looking more feminine than usual and people went nuts thinking it confirmed a female link, then Nintendo came out like "uh no? We've always seen the genders as a vital part of the story".

Playing as Zelda would rule but I don't see it happening in a mainstream 3d title yet. They might test the waters on a smaller 3ds kinda title or spinoff first and see if it's a selling point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Febreeze posted:

Man I know people really want to play as Zelda (I would love that too) but the level of hype and discussion about this possibility based on like 30 seconds of cutscene footage is absurd. Most of the cutscenes in BotW were Zelda-centric too. Having a cutscene show more Zelda doesn't mean jack poo poo.

I remember the first BotW cutscene with Link looking more feminine than usual and people went nuts thinking it confirmed a female link, then Nintendo came out like "uh no? We've always seen the genders as a vital part of the story".

Playing as Zelda would rule but I don't see it happening in a mainstream 3d title yet. They might test the waters on a smaller 3ds kinda title or spinoff first and see if it's a selling point.

Let people enjoy things in these dark times

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Vookatos posted:

Gotta say, I know that's not the opinion of the majority, but I loved Ganon in BotW. Just a mess created by his own hatred and fused with different poo poo. I still hope he's more of a character this time, but I loved the darker spin on him. Or, well, I hope the antagonist has more of a character, whoever that is. Trailer was so weird that I can only imagine that we saw Ganon's body, but I didn't understand anything else going on.

i just hope the next antagonist has a more coherent plan than

1. i'm doing bad corruption things because i'm evil
2. ???
3. PROFIT

ganon in almost every other iteration of the series has had at least some kind of coherent plan for what he was going to do once he completed the tri-force/took over hyrule/finally killed link/etc. and it was weird that in botw he's the main antagonist but doesn't seem to have any motivation beyond corrupting a bunch of robots and floating around hyrule castle as a quasi-ghost

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Burning Hyrule to the ground with their own death robots was a solid plan, though.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Yes, but she has short hair now. :smug:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

2. ???
3. PROFIT

ganon in almost every other iteration of the series has had at least some kind of coherent plan for what he was going to do once he completed the tri-force/took over hyrule/finally killed link/etc. and it was weird that in botw he's the main antagonist but doesn't seem to have any motivation beyond corrupting a bunch of robots and floating around hyrule castle as a quasi-ghost

He's being kept in that state by Zelda. He's not *quite* manifest, but raw primal hatred is seeping out everywhere while he desperately tries to break free without permanently breaking. Then he decides gently caress it, angries himself into a formless blob of hatred as a last ditch attempt at freedom (it turns out being held prisoner for hundreds of years kind of sucks), gets beat down and there's no fallback plan, he's straight hosed. Ganon is never really present in BotW, just his rage at having mostly won and then having everything grind to a halt.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Febreeze posted:

Zelda will be playable

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Freaking Crumbum posted:

2. ???
3. PROFIT

Calamity Ganon is so deeply corrupted by age and hatred that it could barely be called sentient anymore. It’s more of a natural disaster than a character. That’s part of why most people refer to the thing as “it” instead of “he” now: there isn’t much of a mind left in the thing.

From what we saw in the trailer for the sequel, it seems that Calimity Ganon really was just some sort of emanation of the real deal. If that corpse is Dorf himself, I imagine that he’ll be more coherent and dangerous than the cyborg spider/evil cloud we faced in the original Breath of the Wild.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

God I missed Rampant Zelda Speculation Season.

We saw Demise in the trailer and BotW 2 will have an explicit tie to Skyward Sword's setting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It doesn't matter exactly what Calamity Ganon is, other than it was a world ending calamity.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

God I missed Rampant Zelda Speculation Season.

We saw Demise in the trailer and BotW 2 will have an explicit tie to Skyward Sword's setting.

It's more likely that in the trailer Hyrule Castle is rising as a pillar, but on the first viewing I thought it would rise into the sky like a reverse SS.

Are the guardians the defacto beamos now? The immobile ones are essentially beamos.

Oh and if there are redead in this game then idkwtf they're doing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Febreeze posted:

1) Whatever excuse a company makes for not having a girl as the playable character in their game only ever matters to them at that point in time during that particular conversation. See also: Ubisoft saying girls were too hard to animate to make playable in Assassin’s Creed Unity.

2) Speculating about Zelda games is fun

3) Zelda will be playable

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Any interest in a charity betting pool for the main character of BotW2?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Didn't people figure out the runic language in BotW1 was a simple substitution cypher for english? I remember screenshots of the slate upgrade pillars showing it off. Has anyone tried checking those against the floaty green glyphs? I looked around a bit but didn't find anything, and I'm an idiot so I know I'm not the first person with this idea, there should be like 8 2-hour videos on this already.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ItBreathes posted:

$1 on Tinglette

(yeah, probably)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

Hell yes.

I'll put my marker down on Zelda.

Pollyanna posted:

My speculation is that the entirety of the game will be underground, considering we had exactly one shot of the overworld and that everything else suggests caves and poo poo. I bet there won’t be an overworld.

I'm down for an Oops! All Dungeon Zelda game.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My speculation is that the entirety of the game will be underground, considering we had exactly one shot of the overworld and that everything else suggests caves and poo poo. I bet there won’t be an overworld.