Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Garfu posted:

Fun fact: that time Blue got in a ton of poo poo for viral marketing on 4chan 8 years ago... that was me.

what more exactly did you do?

e: also what did blue do again because I remember him getting booted but not why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Garfu posted:

Fun fact: that time Blue got in a ton of poo poo for viral marketing on 4chan 8 years ago... that was me.

Did you also write the poems.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
No ugh god I'm not Blue. I mean he got a lot of hate from the internet for attempting to viral market Terraria on 4chan.

I just mean he didn't actually make the post. I made a genuine post saying hey check out this new game it looks neat, and it was the first time it was posted there (I don't frequent 4chan I have no idea why I posted it there at the time). And then there was a lot of blowback apparently.

I just remember at the time he was getting a lot of hate everywhere for doing that. Nothing special, just a funny tidbit.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

Man, remember when a hammer was an essential tool for making traverseable stuff so you could turn them into slops you COULD climb up? Plus getting crystal hearts? Ah, memories.

I think pbat's problem with the anvil is he didn't realize you needed a hammer, which you didn't start with, in order to remove placed furniture.
Slopes were not even originally in the game.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I grabbed Terraria when it hit Steam officially and I've sunk an obscene amount of time into the game since then. I default to Expert mode these days because I appreciate the drop rates and I think it's more fun but holy poo poo, Master looks brutal. 1.4 looks like a they've put some thought into it and whether it is the last release or not, Terraria has cemented itself as one of the best games ever for me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Slopes were not even originally in the game.
Oh god that's right it was all stairs all the time wasn't it

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You'd stop on 1x block elevations, it was cruel.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Potential BFF posted:

Those dark times were painful to remember.

My goodness, this game really did come a long way, didn't it? Looking at footage of 1.0.0 and such, it looks so primitive compared to what we can do now.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
My only concern is that the write-up that went with the trailer implicitly cancels Terraria 2. Since they don't say "Okay back to Terraria 2!" They say "we're just not gonna do anything for a while and figure out what we're going to do next. It probably won't even be Terraria-related."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I’m honestly okay with that. Terraria is probably my all-time favorite game and while I’d love to see a sequel I don’t really know what could be done with one

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

watho posted:

I’m honestly okay with that. Terraria is probably my all-time favorite game and while I’d love to see a sequel I don’t really know what could be done with one

VR Terraria :v:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly that makes me extra sad because last i heard otherworld was cancelled too.

I would like a terraria with a bigger worldgen option or just alternate versions of worlds to travel to though.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
They complete the cycle by announcing a 3d Terraria

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Final update should include a pbat novelty item, maybe a special anvil

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zoig posted:

Honestly that makes me extra sad because last i heard otherworld was cancelled too.

I would like a terraria with a bigger worldgen option or just alternate versions of worlds to travel to though.

Otherworld was super cancelled yeah. It turned out that the people they hired to make it uhh... basically squandered the budget and did absolutely nothing.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kchama posted:

Otherworld was super cancelled yeah. It turned out that the people they hired to make it uhh... basically squandered the budget and did absolutely nothing.

they got Homestuck Adventure Game'd

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Makes me feel bad for Red, but at least it wasn’t a huge loss

I won’t mind if Terraria 2 never happens either, at this point all I’d want from a sequel is Terraria with really really good pixel art and full mod support, and base Terraria nearly has that anyways

The final update meaning stability and the recent mod breakthrough might lead to a last mod renaissance that I’m anticipating a lot

God I love this game and its ethos

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

Leveling terrain was legitimately worthwhile, at least leveling large enough chunks of it where you could keep a full sprint going and just jump occasionally.

And of course during this leveling process, you didn't have the smart-select cursor, you had to individually aim at each block :smithicide:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
More ways that Minecraft missed the boat compared to Terraria:

-Hiring a more classically-talented musician*
-Actually putting all of their music in the game, instead of discarding all but the 10 minute section that plays all the time, for some bizarre reason
*I say this even as someone who still believes that C418's music was by far the most enjoyable part of Minecraft

-Can sell almost every item, giving reasons to be excited to find things you've already found
-What few bugs there are, are actual bugs that you can catch with a net and sell
-Trivial multiplayer servers over wifi via phones, so you can play multiplayer at home easily
-Seamless performance and no signs of speed limitations ever

fake edit: -Having a creator who didn't run off with all the money to become a wannabe school shooter

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Black August posted:

I won’t mind if Terraria 2 never happens either
I would. I would mind that. Give me Terraria 2. I need it.
I agree that modding support would be a huge step, but massively increased worlds (with some kind of earlier fast travel system/teleporters) and possibly alternate dimensions/other planets to spice things up would be all I could really ask for. Maybe some more fleshed out crafting options.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black August posted:

Makes me feel bad for Red, but at least it wasn’t a huge loss

I won’t mind if Terraria 2 never happens either, at this point all I’d want from a sequel is Terraria with really really good pixel art and full mod support, and base Terraria nearly has that anyways

The final update meaning stability and the recent mod breakthrough might lead to a last mod renaissance that I’m anticipating a lot

God I love this game and its ethos
I want to spruce up world generation and stuff in a (now) hypothetical Terraria 2. Things can get a bit crowded with all the biomes added since launch, even without modding in new ones.

What recent mod breakthrough?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I would. I would mind that. Give me Terraria 2. I need it.
I agree that modding support would be a huge step, but massively increased worlds (with some kind of earlier fast travel system/teleporters) and possibly alternate dimensions/other planets to spice things up would be all I could really ask for. Maybe some more fleshed out crafting options.

I wish they would consider DLC that included some of this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just appreciate Red in general for his generousity and humility, which is even more commendable next to Notch, who is an utter tool. I'm sure that Andrew had no idea that his idea would catch fire like it did and he ended up making millions of pounds, took a new dad hiatus and has done nothing but add new poo poo for free to his beloved opus. In an era of endless cynical greed, that's oddly refreshing. Again, see Notch.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

What's really crazy is that no one's managed to replicate the formula enough to stand out. Starbound is the worst, It Lurks Below is okay but is meant to be more of a dungeon crawler. Dig or die wasn't bad for a one man project, but it was aggressively mediocre.

There are so many attempts but none of them can figure out what makes Terraria so good.

I have Starbound and, while I haven't played it much, it seems to have sold well and received a good reception after a lot of polish. Is it really "BAD" bad or is it just not as good as Terraria and the fanboys in this thread want to piss on it to seem like the cool kids? Sometimes the proof really is in the pudding, and the game has a 90% "Like" rating on Steam with over 57,000 reviews - clearly quite a few people are quite enjoying it even if a lot of other people are trying to piddle in it.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

JustJeff88 posted:

I just appreciate Red in general for his generousity and humility, which is even more commendable next to Notch, who is an utter tool. I'm sure that Andrew had no idea that his idea would catch fire like it did and he ended up making millions of pounds, took a new dad hiatus and has done nothing but add new poo poo for free to his beloved opus. In an era of endless cynical greed, that's oddly refreshing. Again, see Notch.

I have Starbound and, while I haven't played it much, it seems to have sold well and received a good reception after a lot of polish. Is it really "BAD" bad or is it just not as good as Terraria and the fanboys in this thread want to piss on it to seem like the cool kids? Sometimes the proof really is in the pudding, and the game has a 90% "Like" rating on Steam with over 57,000 reviews - clearly quite a few people are quite enjoying it even if a lot of other people are trying to piddle in it.

Starbound backtracked a ton from the early access, which says a lot. Where terraria never promised the moon but kept delivering SB kept promising everything and delivering little and even that late. It’s funny to see the SB thread light up every time terraria gets updates when people post “well, terraria got another update whereas starbound... *tumbleweed rolls*...”

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Valtonen posted:

Starbound backtracked a ton from the early access, which says a lot. Where terraria never promised the moon but kept delivering SB kept promising everything and delivering little and even that late. It’s funny to see the SB thread light up every time terraria gets updates when people post “well, terraria got another update whereas starbound... *tumbleweed rolls*...”

Yeah, Starbound as it is now is a fine game though if they would have known what the final state of it would look like and then just announced that, people would probably just have been like "oh ... eh" instead of it getting all the hype it got.

I like the quest system in Starbound, and something like that would be a welcome addition to Terraria. But for most of the things they have in common, Terraria just does better or does in a way that feels better.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Starbound got a big update this week. I don't know if it addresses the issues people had with it though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JustJeff88 posted:

Most of the people in the Starbound thread have followed it from the beginning, so they've got to see a lot of very cool things in the game be nerfed into uselessness because fun is verboten.

Still it's getting its own 1.4 update, currently testable if you have the game on Steam. (I have it on GOG so lol.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Starbound's been directed by a moron who ended up chasing off perfectly fine talented artists and designers with his terrible ideas of what fun is. Like getting rid of sandmining and making guns take energy for some reason, and the big change to how grappling hooks work, and adding food rotting for some reason.

And then you look at Minecraft and they're also making decisions that make no sense. You're really going to change how water and lava work so you have to get source blocks now? Great, make things a bit more annoying to do, cool.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sorry what's changed about Minecraft's water and lava?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Cat Mattress posted:

Most of the people in the Starbound thread have followed it from the beginning, so they've got to see a lot of very cool things in the game be nerfed into uselessness because fun is verboten.
Yep that's the truth. I wasn't on the ground floor but came in not too much later because I liked the space stuff and most of the promised features. Well we know how that went!

All in all it's an okay game now but it's just very boring and repetitive if you take a moment and think about the things you're doing. Like this a little hard for me to properly convey but so so much of the things you can do are just busy work that ultimately amounts to nothing. There's just no overarching reason behind too much stuff and the things you want and need to do tend to be grindy. I tried giving the game another chance a few months ago and eventually gave up after trying to get some mech parts because lol why should those be craftable or sold in shops?? It's much better to force you to grind already kinda rare space encounters that may or maybe not give you a blueprint which can also be a duplicate! And this pattern can be applied to a lot of other things too. What also annoys me heavily is that the controls are floaty af while the game at the same time wants you to make precise jumps and moves. It just makes no sense to design it this way. Ugh I feel the urge to trash talk a bunch of other things related to the game but I won't give in

RareAcumen posted:

terrible ideas of what fun is. Like getting rid of sandmining
Holy poo poo I remember that day! Sandmining was really fun but oh no we don't want players to just collect their ores. They have to really earn it to enjoy it! You absolutely need to swing that pick for hours to feel good about getting those five gold ores...

A lot of the issues with the game can be traced back to that design philosophy imo. For some reason they got this notion that the game needed some form of challenge structure and that translated into making things grindy and locking all the fun behind lengthy quests or procedures. And doing those just sucked all the fun out of the game so you stopped giving a poo poo about the thing you wanted to get. I guess a lot of it is conncted to them making promises on the RPG aspect of the game which they couldn't deliver so this is what we got.

On the other hand I never had any of these issues with terria. I'm not even a huge fan of the genre but all the time I spent on my one world felt good to me and I never thought that the things I did were without a bigger purpose. Sure terria also has some grindy aspects but you're not really forced into most of it so you can take it or leave it

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
A big part of the difference is that in Terraria when I set about mining that gold ore I also end up with a bunch of weird poo poo and tricky fights and more map uncovered, and in Starbound what you end up with is another kind of ore to go after, forever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Did they ever fix the infinite lava and water tricks in Terraria? I hope not.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

the fact that Terraria lets you sequence break with stuff like the Arkhalis or the Reaver Shark is genuinely a point in its favour, it's nice to be able to occasionally skip the grind (though of course getting Arkhalis every time would ruin the fun of the other weapons, so the rarity is in itself a boom that delivers variation between playthroughs)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bogart posted:

Did they ever fix the infinite lava and water tricks in Terraria? I hope not.

Nope, they kept those in, you can still get infinite water with a W-shaped structure and a bucket, or by making a cistern tall enough that when you drain the bottom, the top is out of range to be depleted.

In fact, it's even be used as the basis for a challenge mod: use infinite lava + water to get unlimited obsidian, grind obsidian into stone and then dirt and then seeds, and then create the biomes you need to progress.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

or outright removed, remember the movement techs that let you fly?

Don't forget how the only difference between biomes is basically how hard it is to dig through them and if htey have water, poison, lava, or occasionally some more exotic liquid in them

Tin Tim posted:

Holy poo poo I remember that day! Sandmining was really fun but oh no we don't want players to just collect their ores. They have to really earn it to enjoy it! You absolutely need to swing that pick for hours to feel good about getting those five gold ores...
You don't understand, you could skip material tiers that way! We obviously can't have that, now can we.

ThaumPenguin posted:

the fact that Terraria lets you sequence break with stuff like the Arkhalis or the Reaver Shark is genuinely a point in its favour, it's nice to be able to occasionally skip the grind (though of course getting Arkhalis every time would ruin the fun of the other weapons, so the rarity is in itself a boom that delivers variation between playthroughs)
Meanwhile, Terraria has added methods that let you skip some chunks of the progression like the Reaver Shark.

Cat Mattress posted:

Nope, they kept those in, you can still get infinite water with a W-shaped structure and a bucket, or by making a cistern tall enough that when you drain the bottom, the top is out of range to be depleted.

In fact, it's even be used as the basis for a challenge mod: use infinite lava + water to get unlimited obsidian, grind obsidian into stone and then dirt and then seeds, and then create the biomes you need to progress.
Pumps still output slightly more than the input, too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

Still it's getting its own 1.4 update, currently testable if you have the game on Steam. (I have it on GOG so lol.)

I'm all but certain that it is available on GOG; go have a look. The game has a specific 1.4 icon, even.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I just realized I never posted the actual bit that worried me.

"For Re-Logic, this means that we will finally be tackling our second title. We do not yet know what this will be - and it may not even be a Terraria title - so expect a time of silence from us on that front until we are ready to share more what we decide to pursue."

This is what they put in their Steam FAQ about 'what's next?' So you can see why this sounds like 'Terraria 2 cancelled'.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kchama posted:

I just realized I never posted the actual bit that worried me.

"For Re-Logic, this means that we will finally be tackling our second title. We do not yet know what this will be - and it may not even be a Terraria title - so expect a time of silence from us on that front until we are ready to share more what we decide to pursue."

This is what they put in their Steam FAQ about 'what's next?' So you can see why this sounds like 'Terraria 2 cancelled'.

Terraria 2 has never been more than just a feature wishlist for something that isn't actually happening yet.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Wasn’t terraria 2 announced before 1.3? also we never knew anything about it so it seems weird to be sad that something we knew nothing about is canceled or on hiatus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

Wasn’t terraria 2 announced before 1.3? also we never knew anything about it so it seems weird to be sad that something we knew nothing about is canceled or on hiatus

A single Rock Paper Shotgun article in 2013. And some hey we're not actually making this yet posts every time Otherworld news went bad or the Switch port got delayed.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 15, 2019