Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean go use google and get your read on if you're now curious.

To actually somewhat answer that, the Iranian intervention was generally unpopular at home because it was seen as draining resources abroad while they were more needed at home. That said, if the US started some poo poo in Iran, having Syria ready and able to help would completely turn that opinion around. Iran's foreign policy for quite a while now has been to make sure they have allies who owe them a big favor.

What kind of a contribution could Assad's forces provide, exactly? If anything, Iranian and Hezbollah forces leaving to help defend against a US intervention will make them even more vital to keeping his tenuous hold on power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What kind of a contribution could Assad's forces provide, exactly? If anything, Iranian and Hezbollah forces leaving to help defend against a US intervention will make them even more vital to keeping his tenuous hold on power.

Tbh probably paramilitary assistance rn, though depending on just how quickly units are rearming and recovering, maybe more? Definitely more in 6 months. Hasn't the foreign presence in Syria already sharply dropped off? I'm almost positive that Hezbollah withdrew a lot of its people months ago and the Russians have been a lot less tangibly involved aside from air strikes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I mean go use google and get your read on if you're now curious.

To actually somewhat answer that, the Iranian intervention was generally unpopular at home because it was seen as draining resources abroad while they were more needed at home. That said, if the US started some poo poo in Iran, having Syria ready and able to help would completely turn that opinion around. Iran's foreign policy for quite a while now has been to make sure they have allies who owe them a big favor.

Syria is a wasteland even with the Civil War over and Assad’s victory.

I doubt they’d be able to help much at all if any if there was a conflict.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
To deny the (re)opening of an extra front in a war which would further draw in Iraqi, Lebanese and Yemeni militias is a solid enough contribution to be going on with, probably.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Seeing my opinion matters so much to some of you, here's my opinion on the incident in the New York Times:
https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1139642056538804224

Actually I am interested if you have a response to this particularly "pointed" comment on your article

quote:

Actually, I haven't seen anything that convinces me the Iranians are there at all.

The linked article references Ashoura-class and Zolfaqar-class speedboats. There's no mention of a Gashti-class or model. The only image resembling the boat pictured is linked to a dead video stream. Perhaps Gashti is a sub-type of Ashoura? We have no idea.

Either way, both patrol boats aren't exactly maritime archetypes. They're pretty generic speedboat designs adapted in specifically Iranian ways. If you can manufacture any fiberglass powerboat, you can probably knock together something that looks like the boat in the picture.

Assuming all the Iranian speedboats are even accounted for. I don't see any VIN markings on the allegedly Iranian vessel either. The US equivalent: Are we talking about the USS Cole or the USS McCain? That should be a pretty easy question to answer. Especially when you have image enough to spot a supposed limpet mine.

That's assuming the images are real at all. The special effects crew from "Enemy of the State" put together better work back in 1998.

Nope. Not buying it. I'm just as convinced US or Saudi impostors were trying to remove a mine they knew would reveal their espionage. There's absolutely no reason right now to believe one account anymore than the other. Actually, based on recent events, you can discount US and Saudi credibility quite substantially.

In particular the bolded portion.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah what good are 20,000 people with training and recent experience fighting insurgency/counterinsurgency type of conflicts. The paramilitary/militia groups in Iraq and Syria are absolutely huge and entirely relevant. The sunni militias were huge, so Shia groups felt a very strong pressure to get numbers up to a level that could compete.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yeah what good are 20,000 people with training and recent experience fighting insurgency/counterinsurgency type of conflicts. The paramilitary/militia groups in Iraq and Syria are absolutely huge and entirely relevant. The sunni militias were huge, so Shia groups felt a very strong pressure to get numbers up to a level that could compete.

May you expand upon this in more detail?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Why do you think that the pro-Assad militias are going to leave Syria to fight for Iran? Unless they're eager to return to his head on a pike, which granted, they might be.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

May you expand upon this in more detail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_militias_in_Iraq
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_Mobilization_Forces (150,000 people)

Calling them militias kind of undersells them. Most of them are using American weapons, equipment and vehicles and have, after this many years of conflict, a ton of combat experience.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why do you think that the pro-Assad militias are going to leave Syria to fight for Iran? Unless they're eager to return to his head on a pike, which granted, they might be.

IRGC was proactively backing Assad with manpower and more basically from day one. If that doesn't get you some support from Assad then idk what does.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 15, 2019

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Brown Moses, if you want to be honest, you should disclose that the US Navy has a track record of fabricating audio/video footage RE: Iran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLEPO42QY8U

https://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/degrees-of-confidence-on-us-iran-naval-incident/

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

guidoanselmi posted:

Brown Moses, if you want to be honest, you should disclose that the US Navy has a track record of fabricating audio/video footage RE: Iran.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLEPO42QY8U

https://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/degrees-of-confidence-on-us-iran-naval-incident/

This video is from 11 years ago.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

IRGC was proactively backing Assad with manpower and more basically from day one. If that doesn't get you some support from Assad then idk what does.

Yeah, they were doing that while Iran and its regime were pretty secure. "Support" is one thing, but suicide? I just don't buy it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Aren't a bunch of the Shiite militias in Syria pretty multinational? I mean, I know that Iraq's been importing a lot of its paramilitary dudes (under Iranian supervision) to help out Assad.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

This video is from 11 years ago.

I don't think the contention was they started, or stopped, yesterday.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you know how the Likud founding charter states there will be no safe Israel until there is no longer any such thing as a "Palestine"

some things diplomats are forced to treat as for domestic consumption

I'm pretty sure they mean that quite literally.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, they were doing that while Iran and its regime were pretty secure. "Support" is one thing, but suicide? I just don't buy it.

Assad is in a relatively stable position relative to literally any point in years. 6 months or a year ago he definitely wasn't sparing anyone, but now? It doesn't take a lot of manpower to keep shelling refugee camps and hospitals and neighborhoods in Idlib.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's still Iranian soldiers and paramilitaries in Syria. For them to leave and then some regime forces to come with them would just be begging for a big escalation in Syria.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Actually I am interested if you have a response to this particularly "pointed" comment on your article

In particular the bolded portion.

I'm interested in how the Open Source Journalism outlet did their Full Diligence yet spaced on the part where a state-released video showed damage on the starboard side when the captain, owner, and crew said they were hit to port. That's a very pointed fuckup to make, assuming all proper working methods are being followed.

Oh well. Everyone has a Monday, even on Friday. It's probably just a coincidence.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why is this petty political slap-fight between inbred nobles and religious fanatics not being handled in a logical manner???
:goonsay:

Tell me more about the perfidious Shia and their illogical mind you racist piece of poo poo

Tab8715 posted:

How many troops would you reasonably need for a continued occupation?

If it did happen I wonder how the American Public would react to a war with casualties higher than Vietnam with a president that’s already unpopular and in an era of social media.

US state department during Vietnam predicted it would take 10-15 occupying troops per insurgent to defeat the Insurgency in South Vietnam. How many insurgents could a homogeneous country of 81 million really field though right? Be in Tehran in a month!

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 15, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A Typical Goon posted:

Tell me more about the perfidious Shia and their illogical mind you racist piece of poo poo
This level of hostility is highly illogical.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A Typical Goon posted:

US state department during Vietnam predicted it would take 10-15 occupying troops per insurgent to defeat the Insurgency in South Vietnam. How many insurgents could a homogeneous country of 81 million really field though right? Be in Tehran in a month!

A Draft with Trump sounds like something that'd only happen a bad Dystopian novel comic.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Not trying to say they're wacky cartoon nutters. Just pointing out that acts that seem irrational to outside observers may seem perfectly rational to actors in the context of a religious authoritarian political structure.

But enough said about the US.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brown Moses posted:

Seeing my opinion matters so much to some of you, here's my opinion on the incident in the New York Times:

Thank god the MS Paint analyst is here to tell us the US are on the right track, they just need to doctor the evidence a bit more.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The US government is collaborating with KSA / being played by KSA to fabricate a pretense for war, and posters itt are pontificating about the perfidious shia mindset, lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

The US government is collaborating with KSA / being played by KSA to fabricate a pretense for war, and posters itt are pontificating about the perfidious shia mindset, lol

Yeah, that's not actually happening. Might want to quiet down your "America Bad" brainworms for just a moment to actually read what people are actually posting.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Thank god the MS Paint analyst is here to tell us the US are on the right track, they just need to doctor the evidence a bit more.

Which part of the article are you basing this opinion on, the part where he says there's no evidence that Iran planted the mines, or the part where he says that there's no evidence that what was removed from the boat was a mine, or was it something I missed?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's much better to make sassy posts about what you imagine someone wrote rather than actually reading what they wrote.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

Which part of the article are you basing this opinion on, the part where he says there's no evidence that Iran planted the mines, or the part where he says that there's no evidence that what was removed from the boat was a mine, or was it something I missed?

Don't be daft, you really think he actually read that article? Shitposting needs speed, not accuracy!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't really care if Iran attacked the tankers or not, because the US is to blame for the spike in tensions preceding it either way:

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1139875903968862208

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Given that the Japanese owner of the tanker stated 'flying objects' of some kind were reported to strike the tankers and start the fires, and that torpedos or mines couldn't have been it at all, I'm pretty sure the US is full of poo poo on this one with their insistence on that 'limpet mine' and a footage that looks barely better than the one from 11 years ago.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

homogeneous country of 81 million

:thunk:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mozi posted:

Probably on the misleading sub-heading to the article.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, the article that ends with "The evidence is not conclusive and we must weight what both sides have to say" when one side is explicitly trying to destroy the other is just "reasonable journalism" and not cowardly bullshit. Anything short of empathetically proclaiming that yes, this is another Tonkin is an awful take.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 15, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

actually a term of art in this discussion. Iraq was an intensely internally divided country, and as a result the occupation went comparatively smoothly, with us able to set up our toy government in peace while its people were out ethnic cleansing each other on with our blessing.

Iran will not give us the same grace period. we are not going to be greeted as liberators. and considering how bad we managed to gently caress up WITH a grace period...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, the article that ends with "The evidence is not conclusive and we must weight what both sides have to say" when one side is explicitly trying to destroy the other is just "reasonable journalism" and not cowardly bullshit. Anything short of empathetically proclaiming that yes, this is another Tonkin is an awful take.

At least you admit your conclusions are purely based on your own personal political biases rather than any evidence, good for you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah yes, thank you for guarding the center with the completely unbiased "we can't point fingers!!!" standpoint.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

actually a term of art in this discussion. Iraq was an intensely internally divided country, and as a result the occupation went comparatively smoothly, with us able to set up our toy government in peace while its people were out ethnic cleansing each other on with our blessing.

Iran will not give us the same grace period. we are not going to be greeted as liberators. and considering how bad we managed to gently caress up WITH a grace period...

Iran isn't homogenous, ethnically, or politically. It's not as divided as Iraq, that much is true, though. And the last time somebody tried to use internal divisions against Iraq, it just led to the People's Mujahedeen getting their asses annihilated.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Ah yes, thank you for guarding the center with the completely unbiased "we can't point fingers!!!" standpoint.

Don't worry, you've made your point, I'm sure the Chapo Trap House boys would be proud of you.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In other news thermometers reached 48, 55 anc 63 C in Kuwait today. :kingsley:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Brown Moses posted:

This article seems more concerned with selling NYT readers on the efficacy of open source journalism than it does on actually providing any useful new information or insightful analysis. Early on you make the absurd argument that because of google maps it no longer matters if no journalist is within thousands of miles of a conflict zone. Everything you write after that sentence demonstrates how wrong you are.