Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Dazerbeams posted:

Is that a meta-commentary on us too?

Eh, if it lands. I meant the pertinent ones that come from r/relationships...

But if the shoe fits...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I just wanted you to be aware that you are one among us.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

Actually being a complete person owns and is the fundamental missing ingredient in every single post in this thread.

I don't need a daddy, I am your fuckin' daddy.

Boy, I hope not. Both my father and stepfather were horrible people.

Real talk though, I have some attention seekers in my life and god knows they’re irritating as hell sometimes, but it’s still important to connect with others emotionally and it’s okay to be scared and express that. That doesn’t make you less of a complete person.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's 'being scared' and 'throwing screaming flailing tantrums in front of the children that depend on you'.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You guys do realize that phobias are a real medical condition and not some made up illness, right? I don't doubt that some people have taken it on as part of their identity because it's another excuse not to take responsibility for something, but there are real cases out there.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

I just wanted you to be aware that you are one among us.

making fun of goons is a proud goon tradition.

DreamingofRoses posted:

Boy, I hope not. Both my father and stepfather were horrible people.

Real talk though, I have some attention seekers in my life and god knows they’re irritating as hell sometimes, but it’s still important to connect with others emotionally and it’s okay to be scared and express that. That doesn’t make you less of a complete person. (◕ᴗ◕✿)

Well I think its not ok to be emotionally compromised by bugs and using that as a means to make people around you do emotional labor on your behalf is dog poo poo.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for giving my son ~$15,000 when he turned 18 and moved out, but refuse to give the same amount to my daughter?

This is another one of those 'The title is totally contrary to the contents'

Dazerbeams posted:

You guys do realize that phobias are a real medical condition and not some made up illness, right? I don't doubt that some people have taken it on as part of their identity because it's another excuse not to take responsibility for something, but there are real cases out there.

I think that those people are one and the same, the thing about a lot of medical psychology is that mental illness can be contracted like real illness, from an environment. Like I said, its perfectly reasonable to assume someone going apeshit about bugs would rather not be losing their cool... but like I also said, treating it like its not insane and a perfectly reasonable thing to be doing is a contributing factor to reinforcing the behavior and part of the rehabilitation is accepting that such a thing isn't normal and needs to be addressed lest you create those same conditions for your kids and their kids. Your mental health is just as important as brushing your teeth and if you don't brush your teeth than you're gross.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 16, 2019

Last Resort
Feb 15, 2015

Motherfucker posted:

Listen dude if you've read this thread at all you'd see a dozen stories of grown rear end adults behaving like children because it continues to work well into adulthood since they're constantly coddled by their peers, either by their conscious efforts or by pure happenstance. I don't think people with phobias deliberately do it, but the function is very much the same, have a tantrum in order to make the problem go away. Its a clear cut case of arrested development and its not something that should be tolerated by anyone because the act of tolerating and sympathizing is the cause.

In other words: Yeah I was actually but than when I grew the gently caress up they stopped, how bout you?

The flipside of dealing with that is going to see your psych who is telling you the whole time that after being raped and tortured that cbt, dbt and drugs fix you and if they don't it's your problem, then seeing them and their receptionist squeal and jump on a chair because there's spider in the room. Hard to take anything they say about anxiety seriously after that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Motherfucker posted:

being a complete person owns
how would you know

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to go to my cousins funeral.

this is more of a group AITA. me my siblings some cousins and friends.

so last week my cousin died, he was a beer drinking surfing beach man who hated normal things. he always made it clear that he hated funerals and never wanted one for himself.

after he died my family started planning his funeral much to the dismay of me and the others. we made it clear how much he would hate this and that going to a beach and spreading his ashes would be a better send off. the family refused and so me, my 2 younger siblings, all of my cousins friends and 5 of my cousins all went to the beach instead of the funeral, we drank beer and surfed in his honor.

the family are pissed and have been telling us how poo poo we are and that we ruined his special day.

are we assholes.

hopefully this makes sense

cant wait for my special day. i hope they have my brand of ultra cheap coffins.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pinecone Sample posted:

my son saw enough that he started asking questions about transgendered people, and of course every Asian woman is now transgendered in his mind. It was one of the most uncomfortable conversations and we had to tell him his teacher (she’s Asian American) is in fact not transgendered.

Sweeeeeet baby Jesus LOL

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

how would you know

ill bring you to completion if you know what I mean :wink:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
motherfucker can you please tell us the exact story behind your arachnophobiphobia because it sounds pretty funny

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I like how no one even touched the "wife's friend deadbolted the door to the apartment he has suddenly claimed" and it was double posted lmao

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sjs00 posted:

I like how no one even touched the "wife's friend deadbolted the door to the apartment he has suddenly claimed" and it was double posted lmao

Misuse of the holy name Pete offended everyone. Also it was pretty open and shut, wasn't it?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It came to the precipice of being really insane but stopped at just being regular-type insane. The small detail of the locksmith being in on it is pretty good though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to go to my cousins funeral.

this is more of a group AITA. me my siblings some cousins and friends.

so last week my cousin died, he was a beer drinking surfing beach man who hated normal things. he always made it clear that he hated funerals and never wanted one for himself.

after he died my family started planning his funeral much to the dismay of me and the others. we made it clear how much he would hate this and that going to a beach and spreading his ashes would be a better send off. the family refused and so me, my 2 younger siblings, all of my cousins friends and 5 of my cousins all went to the beach instead of the funeral, we drank beer and surfed in his honor.

the family are pissed and have been telling us how poo poo we are and that we ruined his special day.

are we assholes.

hopefully this makes sense

funerals are for the living. your friend doesn't give a poo poo what you did, cause he's dead. that said, you showed up for his friends and siblings and memorialized surfdude's passing in a way that felt fitting to you all and allowed you to share in his memories and support each other. that's good

it's just, well it sounds like the dude's parents might have appreciated your support too and "the dead guy wouldn't approve of us supporting his grieving parents in the way they'd prefer" is a halfassed cop-out.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

nankeen posted:

motherfucker can you please tell us the exact story behind your arachnophobiphobia because it sounds pretty funny

I typed up the whole story but now I don't wanna post it because r/relationships is only funny when its reddit people and not me :(

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Motherfucker posted:

I typed up the whole story but now I don't wanna post it because r/relationships is only funny when its reddit people and not me :(

Did you have a wank and calm down a bit?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Motherfucker posted:

please!!!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Did you have a wank and calm down a bit?

I'm calming down right now if ya know what I mean~

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

it wasn't double posted, the second post was the finale!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (34F) husband (37M) is leaving me and our 2 month old because he doesn't want kids anymore.

My emotions have been all over the place and now I'm simply numb.

We've been married for 4 years and always had a great relationship with open communication. We started talking about having kids before we got married - a conversation he actually brought up initially. We were both in agreement that we eventually wanted kids, and I always thought he would be a great dad. He's excellent with my niece and nephew, very loving and caring and they are always happy to see him. He always buys gifts for them and spoils them. We were both so excited to start a family of our own.

We got pregnant last July and gave birth to our daughter in March. He was a completely different person right after I gave birth. At first I thought it was because of the big life event and change, which is completely to be expected. I noticed he didn't want to hold our daughter for the first few days, something about not wanting to get her sick. He hasn't wanted to take any family pictures either.

Yesterday, I ran into a coworker of his that I hadn't seen in a while I was at the grocery store. She saw our daughter and asked who I was babysitting for. I was surprised by the question, and told her she was my daughter. His coworker had no idea I was even pregnant.

I confronted him when I get home and we got into an argument that ended in him spilling everything. He never wanted kids, he only said he did because he felt like I did. He thought he would learn to love our daughter but he just feels nothing. The argument ended with him breaking up with me and spending the night in a hotel, leaving me and our daughter all alone. Today, I woke up to a text that he was leaving the country. I'm just shocked. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm shaking as I type this.

Tldr: my husband of 4 years left me and our 2 month old because he says he never wanted kids and can't imagine a life with a child

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [19F] don’t know how to kindly reject my bfs [21M] mum’s food?

Sounds wild. First things first is I love her, I appreciate her cooking for us when she does and she’s the kindest lady you will ever meet but she can not cook. Her idea of cooking is a whole chicken breast, no type of seasoning with salad on the side, boiled potatoes and topped w salad cream or just ‘heat up the frozen lasagne’. That kinda vibe. I’ve lived with her, my bfs dad and my bf for over a year now.

Now, I’ve offered to my bf to say I will pay for my own stuff and I will make it myself, under the excuse of ‘I’m on a diet’ or ‘I’m trying to learn to cook before we move out’ kinda deal. She still makes stuff for me without asking (plus she always gives me a massive portion!! I’m talking the plate is crammed!) I’ve even bought my own food and shown her I’m making my own stuff but always come back to dinner prepared. Always rotates between pasta, that chicken w salad option or frozen lasagna/pizza.

Plus every Saturday they buy Chinese and only buy the same thing (special fried rice, chow mein, chips.) and I will always pay his mum and suggest they get some spring rolls, chicken satay, dumplings.. literally anything else but again, she never does!!! I’ve asked if she can give me less but always gives me a really really full plate. I’ve tried saying I don’t actually like chow mein and would appreciate something else and I will pay the difference. She never listens though and it’s driving me nuts because I feel rude if I ever refuse it so I just eat it and deal with it but eating only frozen lasagna and the same Chinese for over a year takes its toll lmao.

My question is is how do I tell her this is enough without being rude? I don’t want to hurt her feelings but she just isn’t getting it! It also really sucks bc I noticed she always asks the rest of her family what they like and what they prefer - especially from a Chinese and will ofc make adjustments and even when I pay she just won’t do anything about it (or she forgets in a very short span of time?). Help me! Will pay you in the horrendous amount of chow mein I’ve grinned and ate despite hating it. 🥴

tldr; my bfs mum can’t cook and I don’t know how to make her get the message she needs to stop cooking for me bc I wanna make my own food but can’t without not being rude

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wth is "salad cream"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wth is "salad cream"

its vaguely like ranch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wth is "salad cream"

It’s an English thing.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

looking it up its basically mayo in england but with mustard in it... that sounds english as heck.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

edit beaten

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I fully intend to wander off into the wilderness a la Norman Cox when I get too old to take care of myself. But not Death Valley, that poo poo is wayyyy too hot. I'm thinking more of a nice, snowy woods and a big bottle of pills with some whiskey. It'll make my death a nice little adventure for some of those true crime/missing person buffs. And maybe a fox or something can chow down on me. I won't care, I'll be dead.

i'm kidding, i'd leave a note so nobody wastes a ton of resources looking for my old rear end

The mistake the "pls no chinese food" gf is making is not just making her own food no matter what and also living with her mil in the first goddamn place. Seriously, all the stories of people living with their inlaws make my skin crawl. GET OUT!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

we americans would know it as Mayomust

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (34F) husband (37M) is leaving me and our 2 month old because he doesn't want kids anymore.

My emotions have been all over the place and now I'm simply numb.

We've been married for 4 years and always had a great relationship with open communication. We started talking about having kids before we got married - a conversation he actually brought up initially. We were both in agreement that we eventually wanted kids, and I always thought he would be a great dad. He's excellent with my niece and nephew, very loving and caring and they are always happy to see him. He always buys gifts for them and spoils them. We were both so excited to start a family of our own.

We got pregnant last July and gave birth to our daughter in March. He was a completely different person right after I gave birth. At first I thought it was because of the big life event and change, which is completely to be expected. I noticed he didn't want to hold our daughter for the first few days, something about not wanting to get her sick. He hasn't wanted to take any family pictures either.

Yesterday, I ran into a coworker of his that I hadn't seen in a while I was at the grocery store. She saw our daughter and asked who I was babysitting for. I was surprised by the question, and told her she was my daughter. His coworker had no idea I was even pregnant.

I confronted him when I get home and we got into an argument that ended in him spilling everything. He never wanted kids, he only said he did because he felt like I did. He thought he would learn to love our daughter but he just feels nothing. The argument ended with him breaking up with me and spending the night in a hotel, leaving me and our daughter all alone. Today, I woke up to a text that he was leaving the country. I'm just shocked. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm shaking as I type this.

Tldr: my husband of 4 years left me and our 2 month old because he says he never wanted kids and can't imagine a life with a child

Dad has pnd and needs help and this is lovely for everyone

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wth is "salad cream"

It’s like a vinegary, tangy mayo but runnier. You don’t actually have it on salad if you’re normal, it’s more for adding to cheese and beetroot sandwiches.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Girlfriend (19) forced me (20) to call her ugly.

Just now I had a conversation with my girlfriend about what I appreciate at her but things did trigger her pretty quickly. We're together since 2 years and she's had past issues of people insulting her face but there seriously isn't anything wrong at her at all

She has very low self-esteem, many issues on her appearance and is talking about getting surgery one she graduated with what I completely disagree and refuse ever since.

Now she's definitely not ugly and my family agrees with that she's really beautiful looking. She has a great body quite athletic and a wonderful face where she doesn't even need makeup. Just looking at her makes me happy which I tell her everytime we see eachother. I'm a very open person when it comes to what I like at people's looks.

So our recent conversations shifted back to her face again where she told me, that her face is ugly. I denied it and asked why, she didn't give any clear answer and continue to bash herself.

Then she went on saying; " Please call me ugly, it'll satisfy me.", I didn't of course because if I would call her ugly, I'd lie straight to her face which I told her too but she kept insisting.

" Please just once, please"

Begging many times and I didn't.

She then asked some guy to do it, and messaged me that's she's satisfied now.

Do I act wrong or right? In really patient with her and don't hesitate from telling what I like at her. I'm just really concerned that her " demons" eat her up and let her do things she'll regret in future.

TL;DR : Girlfriend forced me to call her ugly which I refused because I see her as really beautiful. She got someone else to call her ugly and said she's feeling satisfied now.

It's like he's dating a female incel.

I wonder if she does the same kind of photoshops where she gives herself the Chad from Chad Vs. Virgin memes. Or whatever the inverse of that is, the Gothy College Girl Vs. Bimbo one.

There's an interesting article about how a major cause of inceldom is body dysmorphia: https://www.thecut.com/2019/05/incel-plastic-surgery.html

Or maybe she's just into being degraded. Which is a pretty hosed kink to satisfy for a partner you love if you're not into sadism or whatever.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

VanSandman posted:

Misuse of the holy name Pete offended everyone. Also it was pretty open and shut, wasn't it?

Pete takes no poo poo, Anti-Pete takes all your poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Motherfucker posted:

Do it, motherfucker- wait...

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

We got pregnant last July and gave birth to our daughter in March.

Naming your child after a month is stupid but also naming them after a verb is even dumber. Especially if March goes into the army.

Drill Sergeant: March!

*March stands still, a boot camp cadet knees her in the back*

Cadet: Hey, idiot, march!

March: Where's the idiot?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
but you're obviously still hurting and we can give you advice

who can you trust if not us, the people who love r/relationships but are too fearful to even venture onto that site to see it for ourselves

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cumshitter posted:

Naming your child after a month is stupid but also naming them after a verb is even dumber. Especially if March goes into the army.

Drill Sergeant: March!

*March stands still, a boot camp cadet knees her in the back*

Cadet: Hey, idiot, march!

March: Where's the idiot?

But the months were named after people in the first place!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But the months were named after people in the first place!

Yes, love to be born in January, named after January Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

OMGVBFLOL posted:

wth is "salad cream"

mayo, but mayo so lovely you don't even need to put it in the fridge
like instead of egg you got water and instead of oil you got vinegar
but there's still some egg and oil in it, because otherwise it would just be vinegar and oil and that's already a salad dressing
but it's basically a wartime replacement even steve1989mreinfo wouldn't find palatable, and that guy loves everything.

Mitchell and Webb did a bit about it.