Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not eating a slice of my birthday cake?

So this happened yesterday. My family had me over for a small birthday party. Well I have always hated chocolate, literally any type of chocolate I won't touch, it grosses me out. I'm pregnant now and it's made me hate chocolate even more, I really can't bring myself to eat it.

For some reason they decided to get a chocolate cake with chocolate fudge frosting. When they tried to give me a piece I told them I don't eat chocolate. They said since it was my birthday and they got it for me that I had to have a piece, and I refused and reminded them I've always hated chocolate. It turned into an argument with us going back and forth with them telling me I had to have some and that just one piece won't kill me, and me refusing and saying I hate chocolate and can't bring myself to eat anything chocolate that even the thought of it makes me sick. Finally I just said if they're going to make this much of a fuss over it I'm just going to leave, and went home. Now they said I ruined the party and i was ungrateful and rude for not eating just a piece of it and for leaving like that. My whole family is pissed off at me now. AITA for not eating a piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This person's family 100% thought they could "fix" their not liking chocolate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Because having your entire family breathing down your neck at a social occasion going 'JUST TRY IT' has always been a successful way to get people to try and enjoy new foods.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Reminds me of that story where some dude's mother fed his gf something she was extremely alergic to at family dinner in order to then point out that she's making it up. The girl landed in a hospital.

Some people who think they know better are hosed in the head like this.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

empty sea posted:

I fully intend to wander off into the wilderness a la Norman Cox when I get too old to take care of myself. But not Death Valley, that poo poo is wayyyy too hot. I'm thinking more of a nice, snowy woods and a big bottle of pills with some whiskey. It'll make my death a nice little adventure for some of those true crime/missing person buffs. And maybe a fox or something can chow down on me. I won't care, I'll be dead.

i'm kidding, i'd leave a note so nobody wastes a ton of resources looking for my old rear end

i know you're almost certainly commenting on some post you didn't quote, but i prefer to think you just barged into the relationships thread to talk about your Long Walk fantasy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Palpek posted:

Reminds me of that story where some dude's mother fed his gf something she was extremely alergic to at family dinner in order to then point out that she's making it up. The girl landed in a hospital.

Or that Grandma who murdered her granddaughter because "coconut oil allergies are just made up~" and played the victim because the mom got upset that she literally murdered her child

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Palpek posted:

There was an even worse story where the husband was aware that his mother was spiking his wife's food with laxatives, and then got pissed at his wife when she switched their plates to prove the point.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I can still picture the look of pure loathing that the husband gave after it had been revealed what the wife did to prove that it was just her food being hosed with. A story of ultimate betrayal.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Danaru posted:

Or that Grandma who murdered her granddaughter because "coconut oil allergies are just made up~" and played the victim because the mom got upset that she literally murdered her child

Oh for fucks sake, why did I look this story up?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for watching a WWE pay per view (Money in the Bank) on my phone while at a wedding that was meaningless to me?

quote:

So this goes back almost a month now to May 19th but my wife and mom are still so furious with me that my wife may divorce me and my mom may take her side over it. I need some honest feedback to help me go forward.

I'm a huge WWE fan and I pretty much get all the PPV. Money in the Bank, there was a ton I wanted to see but it also culminates several story lines into a ladder match that I really wanted to see. It was may 19th and I made it very clear I wanted to watch the event. On May 9th my wife announced that shed been invited to a coworkers wedding and I had to go with her (by a crazy coincidence that we didn't know until we got there, the grooms mom is my moms good friend). I assumed the wedding woukd be on Saturday so I agreed. Well Saturday the 18th came and went and it wasn't until the 19th when my wife was pissed I wasn't getting ready that I was like oh poo poo, I can't go because of rhe PPV. She got so mad at me so I relented and went.

It was one of those events where there I didn't know a single person besides my wife and my mom and rhe groom was sort of a dick. So after he sort of blew me off when I tried to congratulate him I was like gently caress this and I got out my phone, parked myself in the corner and bought the PPV. My wife and now mom kept trying to get me away and be social and finally I got pissed and told them both to leave me the gently caress alone.

Things honest to god haven't been the same since. She says I looked like such and rear end in a top hat with my phone in my face in a semi-dark room while everyone else was having fun and dancing. My mom says her friends all noticed me and commented that I must have been autistic or retarded so she's massively embarrased.

To me I had plans, I did my part to attend and when I didn't know anyone I made the best of a bad situation to do what I wanted anyways.

Was I the rear end in a top hat?

quote:

-I understand your point in the end, my wife says there were a ton of business contacts that I could have met to help me get off the ground

-I'm trying to start a 3D printing business for people to make personalized action figures, it probably wasn't a good match for that crowd.

-First of all most weddings are on Saturdays so I feel that was an honest mistske.

But I do have a job but it's dead end as can be so I'm trying to break out but i don't think that was the crowed to pitch action figures. They were all total chads

-Chad is an Incel term? I had no idea.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for watching a WWE pay per view (Money in the Bank) on my phone while at a wedding that was meaningless to me?

I relate to this autistic retard probably more than is healthy, but you really do have to pretend to give a poo poo sometimes.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

That, and pretend you don't give a poo poo about the WWE when people have to invite the WWE manshitchild somewhere.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

we americans would know it as Mayomust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRntutn8udw
I don't get why people lie on the internet. These commercials have been a American staple for years.

"sometimes I think I spread my life too thin..."

And for actual content.

AITA for telling my best friend (23) to stay away from my little brother (10)
So for some background context, I've been best friends with B (the name I'll give him) for about 5 years. We met over Xbox and have been close mates ever since. We've met IRL on multiple occasions and even stayed with each other for a good amount of time. He has met my family, including my 10 year old brother (K) who bonded with him over Fortnite. Should also mention I contact my brother through Snapchat. He only has some family added to send funny pictures and message me.

Now I have moved interstate to live closer to my partner and for a new job. I don't often have as much time to play games now but occasionally I'll jump on my Xbox and play with K for a few hours. Most of the time it's just us and sometimes he'll have a friend play. I probably have played a few times with B in the last 6 months but we haven't spoken much due to our positions and whatnot.

So last week K and I were playing and about an hour in, B unexpectedly joins. Nothing unusual but I'm fine with letting a friend join in on quality time with my brother. Not to long after, I've decided we should jump off and continue with it another day. B agrees, says goodbye and leaves. I spend another few minutes saying goodbye to K and leave the game.

Fast forward about 5 hours later, I head back onto the Xbox and see B playing Fortnite. Figured I'd join¹ party too. Okay. Sure that's cool.

Anyway, this morning I wake up and send K a message as usual to let him know I'll be on at 11am (like every other week). I call my mum like I do every other week to check in and see how things are. Aftee some conversation, she mentions K has been playing since 8am and since it's the weekend, "probably will get square eyes from playing all day". Classic Mum joke. So I jump on, load up Fortnite and am surprised to find K is playing with B alone. I join and right as I get in, B leaves. I ask my brother how long he's been on for. "Since 8". "And how long has B played with you for?" "He asked me on Snapchat to play". Immediately I was concerned how he got it. I for one have never enjoyed social media so I only use Reddit. I assumed maybe K had told him but it was strictly just for our immediate family. Before asking B, I took to Mum. I called and asked to check the message and heard her go quiet for about 20 seconds. Unfortunately I can't attach the screenshot, but the caption to a photo reads "I can pick you up at lunchtime".

So at this point and time, I'm a 6 hour drive away and can't do much. I called B and confronted him with the screenshot, threatening to call the police and calling him some names I probably shouldn't have. Apparently he had no intention of 'doing' anything, whatever the gently caress that means. I hungup and called the police to let them know "an adult has tried to lure a child out of (unnamed) primary school tomorrow at 12.30pm. I did this anonymously..

Now is my question. Am I the rear end in a top hat? Did I do the right thing, or should I have done something different..

I know I usually think I'm an rear end in a top hat when I stop an adult from discretely kidnapping my little brother.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

AITA for telling my best friend (23) to stay away from my little brother (10)

shouldn't have spoken to the dude before you called the cops. That or you should let your brother bait him out than beat him to death with a crowbar.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
WIBTA for forcing my child to go to college at 13?
Our daughter is in grade 10 and is the youngest in her grade by two years. She excels academically to a point that opens many doors for her, like going to highschool early. She's maintaining a 99 mark average and after doing a science fair at a local university, she was offered to begin college courses online part-time and potentially become fulltime if things work out. Her highschool IEP planner said this is not something we should give up, the outcome being potentially graduating highschool at 15 and university/college shortly thereafter at 16 or 17.

My wife and I really want her to take advantage of this opportunity, but our daughter is not 100% on board. She wants to, but doesn't want to do it right now. She wants to finish highschool, take a year off to work, and then go to college.

This "deal" this university made with us is that she can take these classes free of tuition, even get a yearly stipend for textbooks and technology. She would effectively not only skip the $8,000/yr tuition but also receive about $5,000/yr in grants. Imagine being paid to go to school. This is all assuming she goes now, and not later. The college gets free publicity for having a (very) minor student, drawing in more potential students. The allure is in her age being so young.

Would we be the assholes for "forcing" this upon her? By forcing, we want to push hard for her to make this decision, but we'd never literally force her to go to college by way of consequences. If she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to, but we want to make her aware this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is something that gets you in the news, it gets your foot in the door for lucrative jobs, just by the fact you have a degree at 16. I would have done anything to have this opportunity growing up, and I don't want her to squander it away.

Maybe if your daughter is so smart she should be making the decisions. Nothing is better for a 13 year old than sending them off to university with all their peers. Oh wait..

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

24K in debt is a lot more palatable than being socially hosed up for the rest of your life. If it had been American tuition costs though this would be more of a conundrum.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dazerbeams posted:

24K in debt is a lot more palatable than being socially hosed up for the rest of your life. If it had been American tuition costs though this would be more of a conundrum.

Did I miss something? What makes you think it's not American?

The solution is to have her do the college classes but go to highschool at the same time. Actually, send her back to whatever grade she should be in.

When she's 16, she can start her PHD and go to prom.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

But like... if she's smart enough to go to Uni full ride at 13, certainly she'll also qualify for other scholarships at 16 or 18 or whatever, right? So she's in the top .0001%. People in the top .001% get free rides too. She can skip this and just be a normal genius who gets a free ride to university. Or she can just learn German and go to uni there for free. If she's smart enough to go to Uni at 13, she's probably smart enough to learn fluent German in 3 years.

I just think the whole "this is a once in a lifetime opportunity!" thing is overblown. Unless she suffers a head injury, she should remain academically gifted for a few additional years without having to throw away her childhood.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Did I miss something? What makes you think it's not American?

Because 6k a year for college is hilariously low? Most state schools are double that. You'd have to really be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I guess she could be getting a scholarship to a community college in the US.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ranbo das posted:

Because 6k a year for college is hilariously low? Most state schools are double that. You'd have to really be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I guess she could be getting a scholarship to a community college in the US.

US average for in state is apparently about 10k. Several states are lower than that.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/col...year-percentage

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

You seem like a kind person, but your comment has been reported for MILpologizing- just keep that in mind, and if you choose to edit your comment on more reflection, that'd be swell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The gently caress could this possibly mean

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Going to college at 13 sounds great. You don't have to worry about making any friends because you're 13 and no one will talk to you, and at the end you get to enter the workforce four years earlier than you might've otherwise. Win/win, really.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Communist Walrus posted:

Going to college at 13 sounds great. You don't have to worry about making any friends because you're 13 and no one will talk to you, and at the end you get to enter the workforce four years earlier than you might've otherwise. Win/win, really.

:sadpeanut:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
She might be able to do what a friend of mine did - she was a gifted musician and went to music classes at the university in the afternoon and regular high school in the morning. Her music classes counted for both university and high school. Of course, she actually wanted to do this...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i remember reading an article years ago about some ~genius prodigy~ who had gone to college at 13, finished a bachelor's degree by 16, and was in medical school at 17 (it was not doogie howser)

the most memorable parts of the article were

1) the interviews with the kid's med school classmates, who all said things like "well we don't really know what to say to him, you know? there's nothing we can talk to him about other than school and it's not like we can just all go to the bar and hang out after a big exam"

2) neither he nor his parents were smiling in any of the photos

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i remember reading an article years ago about some ~genius prodigy~ who had gone to college at 13, finished a bachelor's degree by 16, and was in medical school at 17 (it was not doogie howser)

the most memorable parts of the article were

1) the interviews with the kid's med school classmates, who all said things like "well we don't really know what to say to him, you know? there's nothing we can talk to him about other than school and it's not like we can just all go to the bar and hang out after a big exam"

2) neither he nor his parents were smiling in any of the photos

Happiness is overrated. she can start ACQUIRING CAPITAL FOUR YEARS EARLIER. This is the only thing that matters in hellworld.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also like what the gently caress is gonna happen when that kid is a med school resident at 19 and he's a virgin with no friends and no social knowledge and no concept of how normal humans live and his patient is a 60 year old man who wants to talk about his sex problems with his wife

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

She wants to finish highschool, take a year off to work, and then go to college.

This part seems really weird. Take a year off to work?? Doing what?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd imagine that is what she told her parents since they wouldn't in a million years accept "I want to take a year off to go to Europe or make some friends or just bum around and be a teenager, you goddamned slave drivers" because it's not a Successful Life Choice

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
You all are missing the most important part of the story, how good it makes the Admissions Department look.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

MarcusSA posted:

This part seems really weird. Take a year off to work?? Doing what?
To get a year older so she's not 2 years younger than every other college freshman. It's not a bad choice.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It would put her on the fast track to early jetski, the only true metric for whether or not a person is succeeding AND happy in life.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Seriously though I bet she could get some pretty good college deals at 17 and be more socially adapted for it. It might not be 'we will PAY you to come to our school' level, but if she does something interesting that year off that would be a plus.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If she's already getting accepted to schools at 13, she can absolutely keep studying for another couple of years and get a perfect score on her SAT and ACT and I'm sure win a bunch of other awards and she'll get into Harvard or Yale with a full scholarship and not ruin her life.

How much you wanna bet this school that will pay her to go there for the novelty of having a 13-year-old undergraduate is like Bumfuck University at Nowhere anyway

e:

quote:

we want to make her aware this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is something that gets you in the news, it gets your foot in the door for lucrative jobs, just by the fact you have a degree at 16.

as a college professor, this is just making me more and more angry. yes it sure gets you in the news, for 15 minutes. No it doesn't loving get your "foot in the door for lucrative jobs." No one is going to hire a 16 year old child for the senior partner position or whatever the gently caress. People will do a double-take when they see the dates on her resume, then they'll go "well....we're really looking for someone a little more experienced...." and that will be that.

I have taught a handful of students who went to college originally when they were young teenagers. By the time I get them, they're 25, they didn't end up becoming the next bill gates, they spent the years between 16 and 24 basically flailing around because their life was so abnormal, and they're sitting in my office saying "yeah i guess i'm kinda starting over but this time i really want it to stick because I need to get my act together."

stop loving up your kids by grinding them into a pulp like this

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 16, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

If she's already getting accepted to schools at 13, she can absolutely keep studying for another couple of years and get a perfect score on her SAT and ACT and I'm sure win a bunch of other awards and she'll get into Harvard or Yale with a full scholarship and not ruin her life.

How much you wanna bet this school that will pay her to go there for the novelty of having a 13-year-old undergraduate is like Bumfuck University at Nowhere anyway

Was it that hard to write Yale twice?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

My first impression on reading this was crazy helicopter parents pressuring their kid to go to school, but the focus on the money from a community college instead of the potential prestige of a top school makes me think the parents actually have little awareness of how university works beyond "costs a lot of money, student debt sticks around for many years." Like they're worried about the money from a "we couldn't afford it otherwise" place rather than a "gotta make every dollar" place.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Our daughter is in grade 10 and is the youngest in her grade by two years. She excels academically to a point that opens many doors for her, like going to highschool early. She's maintaining a 99 mark average and after doing a science fair at a local university, she was offered to begin college courses online part-time and potentially become fulltime if things work out. Her highschool IEP planner said this is not something we should give up, the outcome being potentially graduating highschool at 15 and university/college shortly thereafter at 16 or 17.

My wife and I really want her to take advantage of this opportunity, but our daughter is not 100% on board. She wants to, but doesn't want to do it right now. She wants to finish highschool, take a year off to work, and then go to college.

This "deal" this university made with us is that she can take these classes free of tuition, even get a yearly stipend for textbooks and technology. She would effectively not only skip the $8,000/yr tuition but also receive about $5,000/yr in grants. Imagine being paid to go to school. This is all assuming she goes now, and not later. The college gets free publicity for having a (very) minor student, drawing in more potential students. The allure is in her age being so young.

Would we be the assholes for "forcing" this upon her? By forcing, we want to push hard for her to make this decision, but we'd never literally force her to go to college by way of consequences. If she doesn't want to, she doesn't have to, but we want to make her aware this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. This is something that gets you in the news, it gets your foot in the door for lucrative jobs, just by the fact you have a degree at 16. I would have done anything to have this opportunity growing up, and I don't want her to squander it away.

Maybe if your daughter is so smart she should be making the decisions. Nothing is better for a 13 year old than sending them off to university with all their peers. Oh wait..

yes because most child prodigys flame out for this reason

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Resting Lich Face posted:

You know what a plantation was, right?

So should they be burned down? Never visited? You realize they don’t have slaves on them anymore?

Disclaimer, I grew up in southern Louisiana and there are plantations everywhere. My best friend grew up on one. This whole shaming culture around a fixture of my childhood weirds me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

My first impression on reading this was crazy helicopter parents pressuring their kid to go to school, but the focus on the money from a community college instead of the potential prestige of a top school makes me think the parents actually have little awareness of how university works beyond "costs a lot of money, student debt sticks around for many years." Like they're worried about the money from a "we couldn't afford it otherwise" place rather than a "gotta make every dollar" place.

They are definitely people who don't really understand academia and probably do not have university educations themselves because otherwise they wouldn't be saying the stupid poo poo like "going to college at 13 gets your foot in the door for lucrative jobs."