Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Aristurtle

Barchimedes

Hippocrates but like he's literally a hippo

Democritusk

Epicurious (Ghost- or Psychic-type or something)

Pythagrass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

They gave you MEGAWEAPON, did they really need to give you anything else? :colbert:

Wasn't the one you could get far less meaty than the one you fought?
Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
thank you, ofs. this game is almost certainly rear end to play but it is excellent to witness. i eagerly look forward to e19 and hope you are still willing to proceed with this on that distant day but like if not or if poo poo happens before then i get it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Super Jay Mann posted:

They gave you MEGAWEAPON, did they really need to give you anything else? :colbert:

Yes, which is why they gave you Mega Inflagetah. :v:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

MR. J posted:

I'm quite amused at how in the beginning everyone couldn't stand the sight of Cain, yet here we are at the poll and he has one vote.

Why go for the least bad one when everyone else exists.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Aristurtle

Barchimedes

Hippocrates but like he's literally a hippo

Democritusk

Epicurious (Ghost- or Psychic-type or something)

Pythagrass

Iphidjinnia on Tauros

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Remember how much we hated 'explosions lol' Julia at the start of the LP? At the moment she's still part of the '0 votes' crew on that worst character poll, that's how deep the game's been digging itself.

Honestly Julia grew on me a lot when she shared exactly as much concern about Titania and...the girl she was co-dependent with as I did

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Insurgence's devs recognized there was a problem and slapped a band-aid on it, while Amethyst (and most of the Reborn community) have firmly clapped her hands over their ears and are shouting "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" at the top of their lungs.

Nah, Amethyst and the Reborn Community were not only tearing off the bandaid, but also making the cut bigger. Remeber that Amethyst was actively taking tools away from the players with each update.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Honestly Julia grew on me a lot when she shared exactly as much concern about Titania and...the girl she was co-dependent with as I did

Julia sunbathing on a raft in the flooded house made me laugh so, hey, that's something.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Pythonoras is useful but kind of mean.

If there were more modern philosomon in the mix we might have good fire-types in Seartre and Sizzlek (Sizzek?).

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Maybe a hot take, but I actually prefer Insurgence's level curve to that of the main games (Outside of the leadup to the first gym, I'm not defending that poo poo)
It means that if I wanna use Volcarona? I can. Garchomp? The same. By the time you get a lot of these Pokemon fully evolved in the main games, they're way to high leveled for you to be fighting anything but the postgame or the Elite Four. Here, I can actually have my scary dragon buddy with me through half the game, even before we get an actual postgame with story quests.

Plus, and this is definitely a personal thing, but while I don't like grinding, it doesn't bother me too much. It's better, to me, for the level curve to go higher, where that may be an issue, and provide tools to make it easier on the player than it is to put it too much lower. I always end up overleveled in the main series lately; It's gotten a bit boring when I'm five to seven levels above everything they throw and just kinda walk on through with no real gameplay.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

AweStriker posted:

Pythonoras is useful but kind of mean.

He's double-weak to irrationality due to his logic/dogma typing.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I sincerely hope Ame's new project, Starlight Divide, is completed and published at some point.

While this game has its flaws, at the end of the day she actually made a game. As someone who half asses everything I do and usually quits when things get hard, the fact she actually made a thing is kinda impressive even if the thing is this.

I feel curious as to what the next thing will be, especially if it's a thing she cares about this time.

I agree. As awful as this game is, I will still give Ame credit for the amount of work that went into it. She seems to know enough to be able to make a decent RPG. So long as it isn’t like this poo poo, I’d give an original game by Ame a look, if only out of curiosity.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't play Pokémon- hell, the longest experience I've had with the series is Detective Pikachu- but from what I've seen and heard in the Insurgence thread, the game really is what it set out to be: a Pokémon game made for people who are experienced at the game (like Doobeedoo above).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It's worth considering that while, yes, heavy commitment to completing and putting out work is tremendous ability and worthy of praise in its own right, it's also important to be able to take constructive criticism and feedback to make improvements throughout the process, which is a skill that Amethyst seems to demonstrably lack.

I mean, do you want another YiiK? Because that's how you get another YiiK.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
insurgence is unironically good in my opinion and you don't need to grind. I honestly probably like it more than any mainline game, really.

I did the Elite 4/the Champion while 10 levels lower than them on normal, and I am the loving worst at Pokemon, you are all actually decent and can do it too!

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 5, 2019

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
Do people even criticize Reborn outside this thread? Between here and the forums, it's either unanimous hate or love.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ReverseStratum posted:

Do people even criticize Reborn outside this thread? Between here and the forums, it's either unanimous hate or love.

I assure you, we criticize Reborn everywhere. This thread is only where the hate began, it can be seen in any other Pokemon thread, other hacks or fangame threads, and even the Pokemon Discord server.

I'm not sure what the consensus is outside of this forum but who cares, people have terrible opinions. If anyone wants to defend this game, good for them, but their taste is...well, very dubious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Doobeedoo posted:

Maybe a hot take, but I actually prefer Insurgence's level curve to that of the main games (Outside of the leadup to the first gym, I'm not defending that poo poo)
It means that if I wanna use Volcarona? I can. Garchomp? The same. By the time you get a lot of these Pokemon fully evolved in the main games, they're way to high leveled for you to be fighting anything but the postgame or the Elite Four. Here, I can actually have my scary dragon buddy with me through half the game, even before we get an actual postgame with story quests.

Plus, and this is definitely a personal thing, but while I don't like grinding, it doesn't bother me too much. It's better, to me, for the level curve to go higher, where that may be an issue, and provide tools to make it easier on the player than it is to put it too much lower. I always end up overleveled in the main series lately; It's gotten a bit boring when I'm five to seven levels above everything they throw and just kinda walk on through with no real gameplay.

Volcarona is a victim of being a gen V pokémon, which had a different leveling curve than the rest of the series, and Larvesta being a much weaker pokémon with a different stat spread and movepool. Garchomp doesn’t have a big issue with evolving late because Gabite can do everything it does on a smaller scale, which is the case for most pseudolegendaries. I used a Sliggoo on my Ultra Moon team and it’s a perfectly serviceable pokémon for the entire run.

I personally loathe grinding with a passion, and I’ve found that avoiding it like the plague is the easiest way to keep the mainline games challenging. You actually have to use your head once in a while when every important encounter is 5-10 levels ahead of you, and I find it a lot more satisfying to overcome a wall by beating your head against it until it crumbles than by falling back and grinding your way up to its level.

Whichever gen introduced the Exp Share as a Key Item basically fixed the leveling curve for good for me. I pop it on when I feel my team has fallen a bit behind and pop it back off when I feel close enough to the next gym leader. I like having a team with different evolutionary points and having at least one buddy who’s weak for most of the game and grows into a powerhouse by the end. Not that Sliggoo’s the best example, because I will never, ever use a Goodra.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I find it a lot more satisfying to overcome a wall by beating your head against it until it crumbles than by falling back and grinding your way up to its level.

That's how I feel about rpg's in general. Hell yeah! :hfive:

I also played through Black grossly underleveled. The real brick walls that are the elite 4 and that loving excadrill are a lot more fun to take on when it's not always as simple as "bring whoever does double damage"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Volcarona is a victim of being a gen V pokémon, which had a different leveling curve than the rest of the series, and Larvesta being a much weaker pokémon with a different stat spread and movepool. Garchomp doesn’t have a big issue with evolving late because Gabite can do everything it does on a smaller scale, which is the case for most pseudolegendaries. I used a Sliggoo on my Ultra Moon team and it’s a perfectly serviceable pokémon for the entire run.

Even with Gen 5's leveling curve you are straight up not getting to level 59 before beating the game. You are probably not getting to 59 until like half way through the post game at the earliest.

It's just hosed up and they need to change these levels because even in a game like XY where you might reach the 60s by the end that's still an eternity to wait. And extending the curve to level 100 like fangames are want to do is just tiring, personally.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

So after the latest Pokemon Direct, who's willing to bet the final boss will have at least one giant PULSE Arceus?

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

So after the latest Pokemon Direct, who's willing to bet the final boss will have at least one giant PULSE Arceus?

I don't think that'd even be workable in Essentials properly. Hopefully that will stave off any ideas Amethyst might get on implementing it to milk more patron money

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I can't believe Ame's dumb giant Steelix idea is now canon.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Super Jay Mann posted:

I can't believe Ame's dumb giant Steelix idea is now canon.

At least in canon we the player will get to have it instead of watching an NPC snatch it away from us.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Faylone posted:

I don't think that'd even be workable in Essentials properly.

That's not stopped Amethyst before. We have the double magic square puzzle and a kinda-sorta-half-assed gen 1 throwback field as proof that being feasible hasn't stopped Reborn from doing something stupid!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's not stopped Amethyst before. We have the double magic square puzzle and a kinda-sorta-half-assed gen 1 throwback field as proof that being feasible hasn't stopped Reborn from doing something stupid!

If anything, this will be interpreted as a challenge, and she will power up off of it.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
All she needs to do is give PULSE Arceus a Mega Evolution with a massive sprite, really. AI Pokemon already Mega Evolve when they enter the field, so the main restriction besides that (moves changing) can be baked into the Pokemon. Whatever changes come from Dynamaxing can be baked into Dynamax PULSE Arceus's BST/its abilities (if it's, like, passive damage dealt increasing/passive damage taken decreasing).

I mean. I guess there's a three-turn limit, but it's really bold to suggest that the final boss would be beholden to something like that.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

LiefKatano posted:

All she needs to do is give PULSE Arceus a Mega Evolution with a massive sprite, really.

This just made me picture her just taking Arceus's actual in-game model and putting it over the existing sprite, Big Bong HD style, and scaling it up so it takes up half the screen.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

All she needs to do is give PULSE Arceus a Mega Evolution with a massive sprite, really. AI Pokemon already Mega Evolve when they enter the field, so the main restriction besides that (moves changing) can be baked into the Pokemon. Whatever changes come from Dynamaxing can be baked into Dynamax PULSE Arceus's BST/its abilities (if it's, like, passive damage dealt increasing/passive damage taken decreasing).

I mean. I guess there's a three-turn limit, but it's really bold to suggest that the final boss would be beholden to something like that.

shoot the actual games aren't beholden to it: Raid Battles dont have the time limit

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
I... I did it. I read every word of every update, every horrified post, every great response to this mess. And now I’m caught up. Now I get to wait for E19 with all of you, wondering how she’ll make this even worse.

Some thoughts, beyond the obvious :majorminor:

I voted for Kiki in the worst character poll. While people like the suicide lesbians are worse, Kiki held up our progress for no reason, was a horrible tribute to a dead person, and was made to look even worse as a ghost and in the void. It’s SUPREMELY tasteless and awful.

All the Team Meteor folks are some of the most boring villains I’ve ever seen. Especially Lin. My bet is that she’s some kind of undead puppet, though I can’t say who her puppeteer would be in that case.

Add me to the list of people who couldn’t keep track of who was who and why I should care about any of them.

I’m one of the people who thought that Game Freak should keep mechanics from previous generations more relevant, but this showed me just what a mess that could end up being, if you try to throw absolutely everything into each game.

I could probably think of more, but in conclusion:

game bad

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

To be fair, given recent news, implementing Dynamax into Reborn would actually give it an inarguable advantage compared to the mainline games
It will still be trash but at least it’s something?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

While the thread is not super old I wanted to chime in that I read it all too and I was thoroughly disgusted with so so much of this game. Say what you will about the "decline" of Pokemon but this is a bad future I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies.

Worst character is that rear end in a top hat rival Swag Jockey Fern, if that is his real name.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Suicide lesbians?

Clearly I need to reread this thing because I don't even remember...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Squiddycat posted:

Suicide lesbians?

Clearly I need to reread this thing because I don't even remember...

Amaria and Titania. Two awful people who seem to compete in who can be the worst person imaginable.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The saga of the suicide lesbians:

Titania and Amaria are two gym leaders who've been in a relationship for some time. Amaria is in the game from early on, but I don't think Titania appear much until you need to go to their house for the Surf TMX.

Titania goes to get it, but the game's programmed so that she won't come back and give it to you until you interact with her diary that she just left open in the middle of her living room. You can choose not to actually read it, but Titania will catch you standing nearby and assume you read it anyway.

The diary is open to a page about how she's only pity-dating Amaria, and while Titania is ranting to you about how Amaria can never find out, Amaria comes home all "Find out what?" Titania won't tell her, so Amaria reads the diary, and then tries to commit suicide by jumping off a waterfall. Titania goes after her, and tells you to help, but you don't get Waterfall until later so you have to follow other plot threads first.

After you get Waterfall, Titania runs around murdering a bunch of Team Meteor grunts until she finds Amaria, who is in a coma. She wakes up with amnesia about the last few days, so she doesn't remember that Titania is pity-dating her.

Except she's known all along, as she reveals when you chase her down for a gym battle. She knows, and she's trapping Titania in a loveless relationship to deal with her depression. In the Reshiram path, she's so upset that Titania hasn't come back yet that she tries to drown you in revenge. Her response when Titania chews her out for this is "Like you've never done something like that?!"

They are both terrible people.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
This post doesn't even have all the groan-inducing meaningless drivel they never shut up with and I still got fairly annoyed reading through it.
Also Titania verbally shits on you the entire time she's sword-murdering grunts. Blathering on about how she "doesn't want Amaria's blood on her hands."
I guess Meteor members are filled with barbeque sauce or something.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 18, 2019

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MR. J posted:

all the groan-inducing meaningless drivel they never shut up with
this could describe almost anybody in reborn

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The only positive thing you can say about the suicide lesbians is that there's no victim, they are both identically awful people who frankly deserve one another.

I don't think that's the message we're meant to take from it but the narrative never seems sure who it's telling us to root for even before we get the bullshit with divergent routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Black Robe posted:

The only positive thing you can say about the suicide lesbians is that there's no victim, they are both identically awful people who frankly deserve one another.

Titania killed a lot of people, Amaria tried to drown Raven, and we all had to read this poo poo. I'd say they had a lot of victims.