Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I'm just glad MCH's combo works like a proper melee combo now, no fiddly ammo or RNG procs in sight. I've wanted it to be like that for eons now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I'm just glad MCH's combo works like a proper melee combo now, no fiddly ammo or RNG procs in sight. I've wanted it to be like that for eons now.

Good thing they chucked that garbage onto dnc.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Good thing they chucked that garbage onto dnc.

Dancer's mechanic isn't quite the same, it's more like red mage procs than anything. You can still do your basic ST/AoE combos on dancer without any procs.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

XI got updates up until 2015 and they would probably still be expanding it if that style of MMO wasn't horribly outdated. Realistically XIV is only 7 years old, feels like a modern MMO, and as long as people are subscribing they'll keep adding content.

FFXI updated last week!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rainuwastaken posted:

i'm going to deeply miss ammo and i think that just straight converting it to a combo without giving them other combo pieces might not be the right move

it added some nuance to their combo in that your ideal order was 1-2-1-3-2-3 rather than just 1-2-3-1-2-3 over and over; then the downtime was filled with actually having to pay a slight amount of attention to your buttons to get the most out of it. it felt different. it felt good. yeah it was a big feelsbad when you just press 1 over and over because nothing procs but you have to take the good with the bad imo; if you just sand off every rough edge it starts to lose character

but now their combo is just going to be 1-2-3 ad nauseum with insanely frequent heat blast phases. they've made mch more approachable, which is great, but where current mch has a high skill floor and a low skill ceiling, i don't think new mch raises the ceiling alongside lowering the floor and loses a little identity along the way. just kind of a ranged warrior now.

we get a mech now though, which is nice

i'm just cautious about changes to my favorite dps is all i get that nobody else likes it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Magil Zeal posted:

Dancer's mechanic isn't quite the same, it's more like red mage procs than anything. You can still do your basic ST/AoE combos on dancer without any procs.

Yeah DNC's at least look like they are bonuses, rather than your basic combo being gated by rng. Who knows before playing it, but it seems that way. It also helps that DNC's abilities actually have potency behind them instead of what mch and brd suffer by hitting with toothpicks.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Loading up procs to blow your load in a huge wildfire wasn't RNG either, and felt very good to do. Really the RNG wasn't a factor at all and your DPS is going to be consistent between parses.

Dancer's procs are definitely more like MCH than RDM, imo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krabboss posted:

Loading up procs to blow your load in a huge wildfire wasn't RNG either, and felt very good to do. Really the RNG wasn't a factor at all and your DPS is going to be consistent between parses.
Only true at higher levels. I loved MCH but leveling it sucked.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

FactsAreUseless posted:

Only true at higher levels. I loved MCH but leveling it sucked.

I already said that MCH is bad before 70.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Krabboss posted:

Dancer's procs are definitely more like MCH than RDM, imo.

Maybe I just never understood how the job worked because it's very unintuitive then. :shrug:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Anyone who complains about RNG as a problem of max level mch has probably not really played mch much.

Signed,
a SB mch hater

(server ticks don't count)

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I was going to pre-order Shadowbringers since I found out it comes with Stormbringer as well. My question is, do I need to wait until July 2nd in order to start a Red Mage or can I do that as soon as I input the code? I only have ARR and Heavensward, my character is level 55 and I am working through the Heavensward quests currently. Thanks

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

Eimi posted:

Maybe I just never understood how the job worked because it's very unintuitive then. :shrug:

It's a unique playstyle for sure, which is why I liked it. It sucks to make every class be as easy as RDM. This is why the healer changes are awful also.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

flirty dental hygienist posted:

I was going to pre-order Shadowbringers since I found out it comes with Stormbringer as well. My question is, do I need to wait until July 2nd in order to start a Red Mage or can I do that as soon as I input the code? I only have ARR and Heavensward, my character is level 55 and I am working through the Heavensward quests currently. Thanks

If it works the same as it has in the past, you get your xpacks all on the same date; nothing unlocks early.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
I'll admit, I didn't like the MCH at first since it does have some punishing and feel-bad mechanics, but eventually, as some have said, there comes a certain type of flow to the class that works for it, where it actually stops being a RNG class and more of a 'hit all these buttons like crazy every 60-120 seconds on the dot' or whatever for massive damage, while learning boss patterns for optimal wildfires.

Having said that, I'm looking forward to the rework, but it does sound to lose some of it potential uniqueness in class design, such as the ammo mechanic. It will suck if all of the new fancy moves are just smoke and mirrors and all you're doing is no different than any other class. Similar to how the WHM's lily gauge is just smoke and mirrors for a cooldown timer.

I've recently been considering changing a lot of my classes since what used to be complex, unique and high-APM classes might not be so anymore after the expansion pack. A big one for me will probably be moving from DRK to GNB because of the loss of dark arts. I'm hoping GNB might be able to replicate the feel with the trigger pull combos. SCH looks to be getting hit hard as well; healers seem to have lost a lot of their identities. I've recently been experimenting with NIN because it looks to have a fun button mechanic with the mudras and such.

Basically, we need more classes with unique ways to hit buttons, instead of every class hitting buttons in the same way (though I of course understand the desire for balance; classes getting shafted in PF because of meta sucks).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Kaubocks posted:

i'm just cautious about changes to my favorite dps is all i get that nobody else likes it

MCH is really cool and fun when you have ammo, but the rest of the time you're watching for procs and it's everything I hated about BLM's Firestarter rotation. I feel like I can't take my eyes off my hotbar for a second or else I'll miss something. On classes with rotations more set in stone, I can watch the boss or my party members and it's a lot nicer overall, since the rotation is handled mostly by muscle memory.

I do feel bad about the people who really enjoyed the class before and are expecting to hate it now, though. It always sucks when changes ruin something you really liked (most of my friends are scholar mains, oddly enough, and they're furious), but I'm just personally excited that it's becoming something my tiny pea brain might be able to handle.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I liked MCH in Heavensward and did okay with it but never picked it back up in SB. I plan to probably try it from 60 at some point in Shadowbringers but likely not until I'm done the first run of the MSQ. I do want my Edgar tools though. Too bad no chainsaw with hockey mask but there's always the next expansion.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'll admit, I haven't really looked at the SCH changes, what's there to be so mad about?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kwyndig posted:

I'll admit, I haven't really looked at the SCH changes, what's there to be so mad about?

Its dps rotation was gutted and it has mana/aetherflow issues due to removing some things like energy drain.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Well to start they removed all damage dealing spells except a broil equivalent, a single dot and some sort of aoe. Yes, that means they removed energy drain.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

flirty dental hygienist posted:

The expansion codes don't get sent out until July 2nd. So you'll have to wait two weeks, unless you really wanted to shell out an extra $40 to buy stormblood and play red mage right now.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rainuwastaken posted:

MCH is really cool and fun when you have ammo, but the rest of the time you're watching for procs and it's everything I hated about BLM's Firestarter rotation. I feel like I can't take my eyes off my hotbar for a second or else I'll miss something. On classes with rotations more set in stone, I can watch the boss or my party members and it's a lot nicer overall, since the rotation is handled mostly by muscle memory.

I do feel bad about the people who really enjoyed the class before and are expecting to hate it now, though. It always sucks when changes ruin something you really liked (most of my friends are scholar mains, oddly enough, and they're furious), but I'm just personally excited that it's becoming something my tiny pea brain might be able to handle.

I have a tiny pea brain but in a different manner. It's only able to handle current MCH's clockwork rotation and nothing else :v: BRD plate spinning is too much for me in savage. Watching for 1-2-3 procs was fine for me because it was only once every GCD which wasn't super often, and the oGCDs are set in stone so those are just muscle memory.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I didn't play mch before ShB because the heat gauge sounded like rear end to utilize and I would probably have been fine with them keeping ammo, since as a mechanic it was fine compared to overheating and wildfire and all that.

However, I will say that I feel half of the fun of ff14 is the sheer spectacle of what you do while fighting and New mch looking a lot flashier is part of the reason I want to level it now, shallow as it may be. I do want to level everything eventually anyways so its not that big a deal, its just higher on my list now, maybe (probably not, I still need to finish bard first).

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Zoig posted:

I didn't play mch before ShB because the heat gauge sounded like rear end to utilize and I would probably have been fine with them keeping ammo, since as a mechanic it was fine compared to overheating and wildfire and all that.

However, I will say that I feel half of the fun of ff14 is the sheer spectacle of what you do while fighting and New mch looking a lot flashier is part of the reason I want to level it now, shallow as it may be. I do want to level everything eventually anyways so its not that big a deal, its just higher on my list now, maybe (probably not, I still need to finish bard first).

I enjoy being flashy, but I wanted to get even more gun flashy rather than engineer flashy :negative: I never did get very far into FFVI, so maybe that's why I don't care so much about the new tools.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm gonna fuckin miss the reload animations and sound effects

KoB
May 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Contrary to a different MMO with player retention problems, FFXIV has no reason to continually pump out expansion after expansion without ever coming to an end.

Combined with murmurs about FFXVI, I fully expect the MMO to finish the story that it has wanted to tell us, and end/move into maintenance mode before the issue of doing stat squishes becomes a necessity.

Yoship: IM done telling my story.

SE: Yeah I guess we're done making all this money, might as well wrap it up.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ort posted:

One itch that FFXIV can’t scratch for me is the ability to make your character feel like your own, beyond cosmetics. There’s basically no customization that impacts gameplay, no choice you make as a player that makes your monk any different from any other monk.

This is by design of course and makes it easy for them to balance their game and cater to people less familiar with MMOs, but that has always been the most core part of MMOs I’ve enjoyed before. Wonder if they’ll ever introduce anything like that.

Ah yes, the extremely deep customization of WoW's talents where there's effectively one set path, and 20 others that make you look like a complete goddamn idiot to everyone around you

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my biggest complaint about ffxiv is that i have to click 17 times to repair all my gear

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

I enjoy being flashy, but I wanted to get even more gun flashy rather than engineer flashy :negative: I never did get very far into FFVI, so maybe that's why I don't care so much about the new tools.

That fair, but i feel like we kinda hit the cap for gun flashy in stormblood unless we give mch a second gun.

(give Mch a second gun)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hopefully this will get them to really think about how MCH weapons interact with animations and smooth out some of the weird edge cases.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Contrary to a different MMO with player retention problems, FFXIV has no reason to continually pump out expansion after expansion without ever coming to an end.

Combined with murmurs about FFXVI, I fully expect the MMO to finish the story that it has wanted to tell us, and end/move into maintenance mode before the issue of doing stat squishes becomes a necessity.

The squish is coming, YoshiP just talked about it likely happening in 6.0 during the May liveletter

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kerrzhe posted:

my biggest complaint about ffxiv is that i have to click 17 times to repair all my gear

Just use a mender. Its spare change. Repairing it yourself is just emergency "Whoops forgot to fix this poo poo recently and something broke mid-dungeon/trail after we wiped."

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Kerrzhe posted:

???

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Now do your other jobs.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

No no, ALLLL the gear. For every class.

Except you can do that for all the gear per armory catagorie so actually they are still silly.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I just repair all when I notice I'm running a few green bars. Can't relate to immediately deciding to repair absolutely everything right after.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Now do your other jobs.

You're gonna have to move the goalposts a bit further, the hill still isn't worth dying on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's 14 clicks

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Olesh posted:

You're gonna have to move the goalposts a bit further, the hill still isn't worth dying on.

so it's 14 clicks instead of 17 lol

it still sucks and they can make it better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Olesh posted:

lol what part of clarifying that "all my gear" includes jobs besides the currently played one is moving goal posts