Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
now taking bets of how many more things google is gonna kill by the end of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol just saw another one

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I hope they kill the feature that radicalizes people on YouTube

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
It's a bug, not a feature, therefore Google will never fix it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

infernal machines posted:

This system essentially allows us to output to any device on the planet, irregardless of

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fun fact: it runs it's own little macos variant right on the adapter!

so many words to say it's not AirPlay as if that were the concern rather than it looking like poo poo and being 30 frames behind

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not airplay because it's not encapsulated over a network protocol. everything else about it is airplay, but it's not that

also, we did this to future proof our devices, because god help us if we'll ever work with usb if

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we built a rtos and streaming protocol that lives entirely in the driver layer rather than finding a way to implement an existing standard

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

now taking bets of how many more things google is gonna kill by the end of the year

two more are scheduled to die this year that havent had dates or details announced yet hangouts and google play music

both "replacements" are in sorry shape. hangouts chat (currently only available to gsuite) is not spoken about in glowing terms and youtube music is perhaps the worst software ive ever used. as far as im aware neither replacement has any of the important features from what its replacing (i know ytm doesnt) and given the timeframe its p. obvious neither will be ready in time

mystes
May 31, 2006

I wonder how many people are using YouTube Music compared to Play Music.

Even Google can't be dumb enough to kill Play Music if they're going to lose a ton if subscribers who haven't switched.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

Even Google can't be dumb enough to kill Play Music if they're going to lose a ton if subscribers who haven't switched.

if youre subbed to one you already have the other

i legit cant imagine anyone using ytm more than once its astoundingly bad compared to gpm much less spotify. just off the top of my head

-in android auto theres no way at all to view the music queue

-in what has been the sole feature addition since they "relaunched" ytm and announced it would replace gpm they added the ability to play files on the device presumably because without gpm there would be no native android audio player. these audio files cannot be casted and cannot comingle in playlists with ytm tracks

-the metadata for swaths of the catalog is wrong regarding whether a track is a video or audio meaning you can make playlists containing a track that is a music video but because the metadata lists it as just a video it will just skip it in certain playback scenarios. they just disappear when played and when you look at the playlist theyre present so the user has no way of knowing whether it will happen or why

-ytm seems to have a smaller selection of music and certainly one that differs significantly from gpm meaning that any transition of gpm playlists to ytm (which has been promised) wont be complete. ytm says its selection is larger but i suspect thats because theyre counting music videos and music tracks of the same thing separately

theres a whole host of other things wrong with it but honestly its truly hard to believe how bad it is

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mystes posted:

it’s their company culture afaik to reward new products enormously and successful process with an astounding silence

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm probably just going to switch to Spotify or something anyway. The stations in GPM have never lived up to my expectations and I'm not sure if it's because it's just hard to get it to update the downloads on wifi (I don't want to use data to stream) without having it run at the worst times or because the stations aren't actually updated. The fact that I have been subscribed multiple years and still don't know is a testament to how lovely the UI is.

I tried YouTube Music once and then deleted it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
is there any reason to not just pirate digital music at this point if the artist isn't on bandcamp or whatever

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

is there any reason to not just pirate digital music at this point if the artist isn't on bandcamp or whatever

if you’re poor, you should definitely pirate your music. if you’re not, music streaming is pretty easy and cheap.
see also television and movies.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

I'm probably just going to switch to Spotify or something anyway. The stations in GPM have never lived up to my expectations and I'm not sure if it's because it's just hard to get it to update the downloads on wifi (I don't want to use data to stream) without having it run at the worst times or because the stations aren't actually updated. The fact that I have been subscribed multiple years and still don't know is a testament to how lovely the UI is.

I tried YouTube Music once and then deleted it.

they stopped updating the stations when the replacement announcement was made like a year ago and they stopped letting artists upload new poo poo just recently

tho i have to say if you arent streaming music maybe a music streaming service isnt for you? ytm certainly isnt as it cannot do smart caching of music for offline functionality

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

piracy hasn't been a very convenient way to listen to music in an exploratory fashion since og napster. even when you know what you want spotify tends to be more convenient in most cases if the subscription cost is nbd

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and if the cost isn't nbd just find three like-minded people and kick in $2.50 or whatever

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

they stopped updating the stations when the replacement announcement was made like a year ago and they stopped letting artists upload new poo poo just recently

what really, how recently? im seeing new releases from this month on gpm

regardless holy fuckin' lol does ytm sound like utter dogshit, even worse than I'd ever imagine. I should probably start switching over to Spotify now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

tho i have to say if you arent streaming music maybe a music streaming service isnt for you? ytm certainly isnt as it cannot do smart caching of music for offline functionality
The one time I tried it, YTM specifically prompted me to set up stuff to automatically download music it thought I would like.

Also saying "if you arent streaming music maybe a music streaming service isnt for you" is just dumb, sorry. Both GPM and YTM are supposed to do this, it just doesn't work perfectly. Getting a rotating variety of music is exactly what these services are for, whether you stream the music in real-time or download it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

piracy hasn't been a very convenient way to listen to music in an exploratory fashion since og napster. even when you know what you want spotify tends to be more convenient in most cases if the subscription cost is nbd

usenet's great for music discovery, i'm rockin 0139f9be933a83126e0cc2397460d593.mp3 right now as a matter of fact

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i use gpm to stream my own music collection that i bought or ripped or occasionally pirated so i'll miss it for that feature at least

at home i can just play them with plex but it was nice having my music at work too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
to clarify it was free to use it this way, up to 10k tracks iirc

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

what really, how recently? im seeing new releases from this month on gpm

regardless holy fuckin' lol does ytm sound like utter dogshit, even worse than I'd ever imagine. I should probably start switching over to Spotify now.

since april 30 the artist portal has been offline. ofc labels can upload new popular poo poo

mystes posted:

The one time I tried it, YTM specifically prompted me to set up stuff to automatically download music it thought I would like.

the only thing that does is regularly redownload your "offline mix tape" which are 30 tracks based on your activity. gpm automatically caches your playlists and stuff you play so you dont have to stream it later. lol ytm doesnt even allow you to download playlists as a whole you have to do it one item at a time

mystes posted:

Also saying "if you arent streaming music maybe a music streaming service isnt for you" is just dumb, sorry. Both GPM and YTM are supposed to do this, it just doesn't work perfectly. Getting a rotating variety of music is exactly what these services are for, whether you stream the music in real-time or download it.

as an american in 2019 obviously i dont keep up with the vagarities of limited data plans. i have unlimited data and even if i didnt music streaming doesnt count against my data cap so idc what hoops you have to jump through but to me it seems the whole point of me paying is to not have to janitor any of this. if youre happy with doing so have at it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

please do the needful

pretty much anything that has usb-c and android will work with a usb-c to hdmi dongle

pixel 1 won’t!!!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

LastInLine posted:

lol ytm doesnt even allow you to download playlists as a whole you have to do it one item at a time
This is false.

quote:

as an american in 2019 obviously i dont keep up with the vagarities of limited data plans. i have unlimited data and even if i didnt music streaming doesnt count against my data cap so idc what hoops you have to jump through but to me it seems the whole point of me paying is to not have to janitor any of this. if youre happy with doing so have at it
I don't want to janitor anything. I want my phone to automatically have a bunch of music downloaded so I can listen to it offline. Both apps have features that are specifically intended to do this, they just don't work very well. This isn't that complicated.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Midjack posted:

pixel 1 won’t!!!!

Other than that it works extremely well!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

This is false.

heh i even looked first but didnt notice the button just checked the overflow where it is for the tracks

i know it wasnt there when i made the playlist when they first announced it so i guess im wrong theyre improving things every day

in other news heres another one for the mass grave

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

LastInLine posted:

heh i even looked first but didnt notice the button just checked the overflow where it is for the tracks

i know it wasnt there when i made the playlist when they first announced it so i guess im wrong theyre improving things every day

in other news heres another one for the mass grave

wtf is hangouts on air

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Plank Walker posted:

wtf is hangouts on air

It owned. Rip to a real one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rapeface posted:

Other than that it works extremely well!

that and no sd card were my only problems with it until the battery ate poo poo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

oh the adapter that costs 50 dollars, compresses the video, and stopped working with ios12, and even if it did work wouldn't support Netflix. next time save me the time and just tell me to go gently caress myself

I didn’t get to the next page yet however it does not cost fifty dollars, it works with iOS 12 just fine, and I’ll get up and test Netflix with it if I have to but it is faster if you’d just go gently caress yourself

gratze

e no one covered that yet so I’m good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Partycat posted:

I didn’t get to the next page yet however it does not cost fifty dollars, it works with iOS 12 just fine, and I’ll get up and test Netflix with it if I have to but it is faster if you’d just go gently caress yourself

gratze

e no one covered that yet so I’m good

you're right it costs $65 in the link they provided, but I am glad apple fixed the output issues. last time I looked into it it was a wall of 1 star reviews saying it doesn't work with ios12

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mystes posted:

This is false.

I don't want to janitor anything. I want my phone to automatically have a bunch of music downloaded so I can listen to it offline. Both apps have features that are specifically intended to do this, they just don't work very well. This isn't that complicated.

hey what do you know its actually getting that ability

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1145744733790265350
big, if true

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"load bearing screen protector" will probably be the greatest tech story of 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

oops I peeled my...

*checks notes*

critical screen layer off my device accidentally

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

that stupid folding thing is going to be the olds diesel engine to the entire concept, ruining it for a decade

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

"load bearing screen protector" will probably be the greatest tech story of 2019

i want to believe

something even dumber will surface come christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Boiled Water posted:

i want to believe

something even dumber will surface come christmas

microsoft does keep bringing up rumors!