Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

evilweasel posted:

at least they killed the loving learning skills though, those were an abomination for new players

This!! I'm the kind of player who brought them all to 5 before I started learning anything else. My first few months in EVE were spent playing other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ragedx posted:

If they really wanted to do fix the SP thing, they wouldn't half alphas train at half the speed.
If they really did want more newer players to stay, they would speed up the training for the little stuff.
Do that and you start to lose revenue fast due to having a lack of content that new players would have access to on a level
that is easy to understand and do and be rewarding enough. so they leave to play with fairies and elves and silly poo poo like farming mobile games

They just want to squeeze the last bit of juice out of the game before it goes belly up. Which is their prerogative but it makes adding new players basically impossible. I think they are really just interested in getting lapsed players back more than anything.

Also unless you are on a typewriter or something you don't have to hit return when your text gets to the right side of the box on this forum.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ragedx posted:

yea, but..gently caress BDO. It's a mobile game mentality on pc.
I bet you the mobile version of eve is going to be utter poo poo now that they are in the same bed with pearl

They will bring back the different clone tiers:

Beta Clone: Alpha + T2 Frigates Unlocked ($2.99/month)
Gamma Clone: Beta + T2 Cruisers Unlocked ($5.99/month)
Delta Clone: Gamma + T2 Battleships Unlocked + 25% Training bonus ($7.99/month)
Epsilon Clone: Delta + Science&Manufacturing slots unlocked ($8.99/Month)
Omega Clone: Psi + Titans Unlocked + 100% Training Bonus + 2 free skins per month ($24.99/month)

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Vodka is just awesome water

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Also unless you are on a typewriter or something you don't have to hit return when your text gets to the right side of the box on this forum.

It is a habit from way back when the world was still young.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol, I thought you all were suffering from a concussion when you were talking about a mobile version of Eve-Online. Turns out it's real and is called Eve: Echo, it's being developed by Chinese mobile developer NetEase; these are the same dipshit morons that are developing Diablo Immortal, and a bunch of other new terrible mobile games.

Just a reminder, CCP's track record of doing off-shoot Eve-Online games is terrible. Dust 514 (shut down), Eve Valkyrie (shut down???), and two canceled off-shoot Eve-Online projects.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

lol, I thought you all were suffering from a concussion when you were talking about a mobile version of Eve-Online. Turns out it's real and is called Eve: Echo, it's being developed by Chinese mobile developer NetEase; these are the same dipshit morons that are developing Diablo Immortal, and a bunch of other new terrible mobile games.

Just a reminder, CCP's track record of doing off-shoot Eve-Online games is terrible. Dust 514 (shut down), Eve Valkyrie (shut down???), and two canceled off-shoot Eve-Online projects.

I'd pay whatever premium mobile gems they want me to buy if I could update my market orders on my tablet

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Rutibex posted:

I'd pay whatever premium mobile gems they want me to buy if I could update my market orders on my tablet

I would do the same but for skill queue updates.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Planetary Interaction would be a lot more tolerable if it was something you could do on your phone. It's prime poop game material.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Planetary Interaction would be a lot more tolerable if it was something you could do on your phone. It's prime poop game material.

This was going to happen at one point, and even be built into Dust 514.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

back in The Day the SP system was sort of attractive as a way to convince people they didn't need to grind in order to play the game, but at that point it also didn't take oodles of SP to be minimally relevant

at least they killed the loving learning skills though, those were an abomination for new players

This. I hadn't really thought about sp creep, but it's true. Back in like 2004 the largest ships you ever saw undocked for the most part were cruisers -- most mining was done in ospreys. If you had the skill/resources to get into a battleship, it was usually a corporation effort. As time went out, ships got bigger, sp creep became a thing as flying the big ships took so long to get into.

Along what we were talking about previously: the new player experience is actively unfun -- you have to have force of will to struggle through it and learn. There is no real in-game incentive to stay around. Most of the conversation that is occurring in this thread is by current and veteran players, whom have experience, knowledge, and a frame of reference new players don't have. EVE has not been able to solve the question of new players effectively when they ask: what exactly am I supposed to do and fill my time with? It takes months to meaningfully contribute in PVP, and that's assuming someone is teaching you how to do it. As for funding it? Good luck. If you're focused on getting into the first PVP meta ship within reach, you're not going to be able to make ISK effectively. Exploration and professions are totally out of reach.

You want to go PVE/industry instead? Fine, sacrifice the PVP element unless you spend money. You can minimally skill into a VNI or something similar, but even that is relatively huge amounts of time versus the content gate you deal with in other games. You can sell a lie to a new player they can "contribute" until their first encounter with a solo guy in a well fit ship in their krabbing/industry/home system that wrecks them before they say "well that was a loving lie." You have to pay for all that stuff in game too: buy plex or worse, rat -- for the pittance of ISK you will be able to make. Inflation is E X P L O D I N G on Tranquility. Ratting values have not changed to compensate. The mineral market is depressed because a guy in a venture or a t1 barge doesn't even scratch the paint job in a week on what a single rorq can do in an hour. (Which, again, is impossibly out of reach for most new players).

Therefore, there is an inevitable conclusion: quit because you're stuck in a content rut that only the good fortune of an established number of dwindling alliances can help you out of, or pay2win. Pay to get ISK, pay to PLEX your account if you want, pay to inject your character. That's the entire name of the game now. And that is the life support loop, IMO, EVE is stuck on. EVE without these mechanics likely isn't nearly as profitable as CCP or their overlords would like -- and because the plex/injector racket does make so much more money, there is no incentive to change it.

The well has already been poisoned. There is a finite amount of time before the water is too toxic to drink. This is the negative feedback loop. Not titans, not grrr goons, not anything in nullsec. This fundamental feedback loop, that encourages no new player growth, as old players quit and are not replaced.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2019

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
I come back from work to 80 new posts about Eve. Whew.

Also NC/PL’s problems right now can be placed solely on their leadership. Especially Binliner and Doom. Thanks for reading and godbless.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Loky11 posted:

I come back from work to 80 new posts about Eve. Ewww.

ftfy

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Loky11 posted:

Also NC/PL’s problems right now can be placed solely on their leadership. Especially Binliner and Doom. Thanks for reading and godbless.

NC/PL would do well if they would change their tactics and actually engage in a smart manner.
They must lack SP :) All they would have to do to fix that is buy some plex and injectors. Oooh!! they can join TEST and we can have a fun brawl. TEST are very logical and fun people, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My effective reputation with a level 3 NPC is 5.0, but I am unable to access level 4 NPCs within that NPCs faction and / or corporation. Am I missing something?

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

I said come in! posted:

My effective reputation with a level 3 NPC is 5.0, but I am unable to access level 4 NPCs within that NPCs faction and / or corporation. Am I missing something?

I think it's npc and faction. They are not the same but kinda are. I could be wrong I don't do much pve related tasks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ragedx posted:

I think it's npc and faction. They are not the same but kinda are. I could be wrong I don't do much pve related tasks

I don't blame you, it's confusing and weird.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Agent Standing < Corporation Standing < Faction Standing

This is not helped by the fact that some corporation and factions have almost exactly the same name so it's confusing as to which is which.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
2004 and sniper megas mmm

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Foehammer007 posted:

2004 and sniper megas mmm

Vagabonds before the nano nerf, my dude

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Loky11 posted:

PL leadership is poo poo laffo and cares more about being reddit important than being good at eve

thank you for coming to my ted talk

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

evilweasel posted:

i'm stealing this from innominate, but a lot of the underlying rot is because eve's pve is, essentially, exactly what it was fifteen years ago. the game is just plain not fun for someone tooling around for the first time without already being in the protective embrace of a major nullsec bloc, and so there's just a very thin pipeline of new players and instead nullsec winds up being mostly the same poo poo floating around recolagulating. if someone hears about eve and thinks "that seems neat" and joins up, everything they do in the first two weeks is boring as all loving hell and then they quit. so there's no real pipeline of new people. it's been papered over by goonswarm/test/horde basically being the NPE for a decade or more but that merely reinforces the stagnation of nullsec because any new player is transferred right into an existing bloc.

i don't know that there's a way to structure a harsh winner-take-all game like EVE that does not have a dominant strategy of consolidating into the largest power bloc you can. if there is, CCP hasn't found it and doesn't have the people who can find it (and certainly can't do it with the amount of effort they're willing to put into the game).

the pay to win aspects of being able to plex/injector your way up to a titan pilot are...not super...but it's also not clear to me EVE could survive without a way to skip the long grind that everyone already playing has already done, it's just not viable to have every new player permanently behind every vet

the only thing that i've seen out of ccp in the last half decade or so that offered a realistic possibility of revitalizing eve was the stargates to new space: you could design and structure that in such a way that it became essentially an eve 2.0 and existing advantages didn't really port over to new space, and then just rely on the years-long process of reconsolidation on the other side to have the sort of fractured small politics that made early eve interesting. but that's long dead as is the willingness to essentially code an entirely new eve. eve's in maintenance mode and the only changes that have realistic possibilities of being done in reasonable time frames are attribute tweaks.

the idea that goons should not have crushed nc/pl because it's ~bad for the game~ is hilarious idioticy of course, and is mostly overblown because nc/pl hangers-on are trying to win a reddit war. once we're done its not like we can go control the drone regions, or that all of the people who are, well, "tolerant" of us right now because they hate ncpl more will stay that way. but as long as ccp isn't willing to spend the money to revitalize eve, it's going to continue having stories that sound pretty similar to those from last year and the year before until people get bored of them.

good analysis

make path of exile randomization and customization of ratting sites

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

back in The Day the SP system was sort of attractive as a way to convince people they didn't need to grind in order to play the game, but at that point it also didn't take oodles of SP to be minimally relevant

this was actually the first argument i heard from my friends regarding EVE way back in the day - "your character gets better without even having to log on, no grinding!"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Landsknecht posted:

PL leadership is poo poo laffo and cares more about being reddit important than being good at eve

thank you for coming to my ted talk

i guess this is shows an object lesson in how practice does not always make perfect

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

NavyBlue posted:

Realistically, what happens if goons do actually take over and keep tribute, vale and beyond? will a lot of players be pushed into lowsec creating a resurgence of content in low, making the game more enjoyable? does it kill the game? does :ccp: delete goons to save the game?

The Imperium has no plans to keep Tribute, Vale, or beyond. It's simply too far away from Delve to realistically defend.

We're glassing the regions to gently caress NC and their friends. Nothing more, nothing less.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

dragonshardz posted:

The Imperium has no plans to keep Tribute, Vale

Oh god, I'm getting Bastion 2016 flashbacks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Oh god, I'm getting Bastion 2016 flashbacks.

Oof.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Complications posted:

Speaking as someone who's occasionally been tempted to install EVE because reading about it and watching the game from afar makes it look enticing, let me tell you guys why I never do. See this? This set of basic skills called the magic 14. It takes two and a half goddamn months to get through the absolute mother loving basics.

That's without going into anything more interesting. That's without getting into the waits to get into anything that might even vaguely be exciting.

The Magic 14 is best trained in blocks. Find a fun thing and train towards that first. Then while doing that fun thing, get the 14 to II. Find another fun thing, train towards that. Do either of the fun things while you get everything to III. Get your favorite racial frigate to V. Get things on the 14 that get that ship to T2 modules. Depending on how much you like that frigate you can either get those skills you just did to V or maybe find anot her fun thing to train towards.

Like here I'd probably go assfrigs. Get that shut to T2. Now you have a diverse set of things to do. Get the rest of the 14 to V.

All of this will take twice as long as just doing the 14, but youll be able to play the whole time instead of missions in an ibis until you airlock your will to live.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Micromancer posted:

The Magic 14 is best trained in blocks. Find a fun thing and train towards that first. Then while doing that fun thing, get the 14 to II. Find another fun thing, train towards that. Do either of the fun things while you get everything to III. Get your favorite racial frigate to V. Get things on the 14 that get that ship to T2 modules. Depending on how much you like that frigate you can either get those skills you just did to V or maybe find anot her fun thing to train towards.

Like here I'd probably go assfrigs. Get that shut to T2. Now you have a diverse set of things to do. Get the rest of the 14 to V.

All of this will take twice as long as just doing the 14, but youll be able to play the whole time instead of missions in an ibis until you airlock your will to live.

to be honest, none of the support skills take long to get to IV. There might be a couple that you have to have at V, but they have such a low speed multiplier they take a couple days.

The only skill that's probably *critical* to get to V sooner than later, mostly for fitting reqs especially on small ships, is Advanced Weapon Upgrades V.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If I hated my friends enough to want them to play eve, I would give them a few injectors and tell them what to use them for to skip a ton of tedious training :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wibla posted:

If I hated my friends enough to want them to play eve, I would give them a few injectors and tell them what to use them for to skip a ton of tedious training :v:

I offered to give 1b isk, a carrier of their choice, and enough skill injectors to fly it to any one of my RL friends who wanted to get back into EVE (we all played together back in the day). None of them took me up on the offer, I guess they are smarter than me :(

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

I offered to give 1b isk, a carrier of their choice, and enough skill injectors to fly it to any one of my RL friends who wanted to get back into EVE (we all played together back in the day). None of them took me up on the offer, I guess they are smarter than me :(

I hope you have plenty of ISK -- skill injectors are now over 1b

kind of makes them seem less and less viable as a content gate fix, tbh

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Kimsemus posted:

Next step: daily omega injectors for cash in the plex store.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Kimsemus posted:

yea, back when they were around 720mil it was good. They went up since that last event where you can use the boost that would give no penalty to higher sp players. The price never recovered after that event

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Thats more due to the price of plex, since skill extractors are being bought with plex instead of from DLC sales. Plex going up drove up extractors drove up sub costs and hence injectors had to go up to keep them profitable. There hasn't been a sale of the packs really since the buyout

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

That could be true but that is just about the time I noticed the price go up. Plex prices seem to have stabilized for now. Are SP farms even worth doing now that the prices are up there at a one bil?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ragedx posted:

That could be true but that is just about the time I noticed the price go up. Plex prices seem to have stabilized for now. Are SP farms even worth doing now that the prices are up there at a one bil?

the common consensus from the few people I know that did it is no, which means injector prices will likely climb further.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Like CainFortea said, you need to look at your standing with that NPC's corporation to see what agents you can access. Or faction standing, if you have it at 5.0 all agents up to level 4 for that faction unlock, regardless of corporation.

If you only have a 5.0 standing with that particular agent, it just means he/she likes you personally a lot, especially if you already ran a few missions for them, as personal standing rises faster than corporation standing. (And faction standing gets unbearable slow, since you only get a chance every 16 normal missions to raise it. I recommend looking up data center agents and their requirements if you need more faction standing.)

Ironically, one of the fastest ways to raise faction standing is to run the old, ancient COSMOS agents of each faction. Every COSMOS agent has a one-time-per-character set of missions, almost always ending with a faction raising mission. As a warning though, if you don't want to keep pestering GMs to reset their missions, make sure you have everything the COSMOS agents need beforehand: Most of them use an old trading system where they want you to get sometimes really hard to find items and if you want to blitz through them you'll need to pay the extortion prices other players demand for them in the contract system. (There's an entire subculture of players farming the COSMOS-sites to then sell them to players with less patience.)

I also suggest to buy and activate a 75% standing booster implant before you spend time grinding up any kind of standing, it speeds up the process a lot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also depending on the faction you may be able to pay someone to share their mission standing increases with you.

ragedx
Mar 15, 2019

Libluini posted:

Like CainFortea said, you need to look at your standing with that NPC's corporation to see what agents you can access. Or faction standing, if you have it at 5.0 all agents up to level 4 for that faction unlock, regardless of corporation.

If you only have a 5.0 standing with that particular agent, it just means he/she likes you personally a lot, especially if you already ran a few missions for them, as personal standing rises faster than corporation standing. (And faction standing gets unbearable slow, since you only get a chance every 16 normal missions to raise it. I recommend looking up data center agents and their requirements if you need more faction standing.)

Ironically, one of the fastest ways to raise faction standing is to run the old, ancient COSMOS agents of each faction. Every COSMOS agent has a one-time-per-character set of missions, almost always ending with a faction raising mission. As a warning though, if you don't want to keep pestering GMs to reset their missions, make sure you have everything the COSMOS agents need beforehand: Most of them use an old trading system where they want you to get sometimes really hard to find items and if you want to blitz through them you'll need to pay the extortion prices other players demand for them in the contract system. (There's an entire subculture of players farming the COSMOS-sites to then sell them to players with less patience.)

I also suggest to buy and activate a 75% standing booster implant before you spend time grinding up any kind of standing, it speeds up the process a lot.

Does all this have to be done in high security space that is full of war targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ragedx posted:

Does all this have to be done in high security space that is full of war targets?

Depends entirely on the faction you're trying to run COSMOS missions for, some do not require you to be in hisec iirc.