Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I generally turn 4v4 assault brawls into 4v2s in about two mech actions with the Cyclops-Z and the Crab Crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Deuce posted:

Will a flashpoint expire while you travel to it? I'm a couple days shy on travel time for the one I want to go to.

Yes, but they also come back later if they expire.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Does anyone know what the big update was today? It took a while to download on Steam and I don't see client update notes anywhere.

edit: found it https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/live-battletech-1-6-2-update-release-notes.1192346/

looks like bugfixes only

rocketrobot fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 20, 2019

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
There’s also an option to remove some objects on urban maps to make them run faster.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Yang: I sure hope we can get our hands on one of these rare and precious Hatchetman battlemechs.
Every Random rear end Pirate Group: *sideways_looking_puppet_meme*

Also

I heard you like shooting pirates so I put some pirates in your pirates.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Deuce posted:

Yang: I sure hope we can get our hands on one of these rare and precious Hatchetman battlemechs.
Every Random rear end Pirate Group: *sideways_looking_puppet_meme*

Since the Flashpoint expansion came out I've seen exactly one hatchetman in a mission. I assume all the hatchetmans that would be showing up in my games have instead gone to yours. Enjoy them, dick

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Communist Walrus posted:

Since the Flashpoint expansion came out I've seen exactly one hatchetman in a mission. I assume all the hatchetmans that would be showing up in my games have instead gone to yours. Enjoy them, dick

Same with me, I got one around the time I got a 732B lmao

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Communist Walrus posted:

It was a bit jarring because I saw one the very next mission, on the same planet even, and it went down to an immediate headshot. Apparently the factory I defended had some... inventory tracking irregularities.

Got the other variant shortly afterwards.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh wow. I can't believe it took me this long to discover this, given that I've played hundreds of hours with this mech build.

Want an easy way to harvest enemy mechs?

Grasshopper with your typical laser vom build. All the ML and SL you can cram in it, JJ, armor, and fill the rest with HS.

Jump in front of your target with a pilot that has max tactics.

Aim for the head.

Each one rolls separately (unlike missiles) and with that many small weapons going off at once chances are at least a few will head shot. If you're using a lot of ++ dam SLs and MLs head armor being what it is you'll probably nuke the enemy mech.

I just headshotted a KC, Battlemaster, and Cyclops Z in the same mission after I figured that out.

Hey, thanks for this. It worked very well against the first assault I saw in the game.

Unfortunately the mission capped out at 2 salvage picks. I might savescum to try and get RNG to give me the third part but I don't think I have the willpower given how slow the game loads.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Looks like the update broke modtech again.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Polka_Rapper posted:

Hey, thanks for this. It worked very well against the first assault I saw in the game.

This screenshot should be called "Dekker's Revenge"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
It's entirely possible that Called Shot Mastery may, in fact, be grossly overpowered.

edit: and can you imagine how much worse it would get if clan tech were introduced at stats comparable to what the OCD crowd would demand? ER PPCs wouldn't need upgrades to oneshot heads.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Deuce posted:

It's entirely possible that Called Shot Mastery may, in fact, be grossly overpowered.

Nah, it just keeps the game from being loving tedious when everything has a trillion points of armor and structure.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deuce posted:

edit: and can you imagine how much worse it would get if clan tech were introduced at stats comparable to what the OCD crowd would demand? ER PPCs wouldn't need upgrades to oneshot heads.

Dekker nooo

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

MW2: Mercenaries is the only game that pulled off the clans in a good fashion, and is the only game that ever will. I really hope HBS either stays the gently caress away entirely or completely overhauls their gear to be more like the current lostech (i.e. either sidegrades or outright lovely).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Clan Jade Falcon 4 lyfe

CAW CAW

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Moreover, I'm not sure Battletech is well built to acoomodate the Clans. The small maps and alpha centric battles would be even briefer and player-favored with Clan tech.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

Looks like the update broke modtech again.

modtek 0.7.2 is still working, and BTX3025 works fine as long as you replace the BetterAI mod with the latest version on Github.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deuce posted:

It was a bit jarring because I saw one the very next mission, on the same planet even, and it went down to an immediate headshot. Apparently the factory I defended had some... inventory tracking irregularities.

Got the other variant shortly afterwards.

I think they've cranked the chance of seeing Hatchetmen down. I suspect that it was artificially high right after the first DLC popped so we could all play with the new toy....because my first DLC run included a Hatchetman in the OPFOR trying to steal a Hatchetman!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

anakha posted:

modtek 0.7.2 is still working, and BTX3025 works fine as long as you replace the BetterAI mod with the latest version on Github.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Unless the Clans are nerfed by Kiva and Co., the 'proper' way to do them would be to feature them as overpowered but stupid.

Have you capture a Clanner who as a bondsman is honor-bound to lay out how the Clan Rules Of Fighting work, how they only go one-on-one, etc. Then in every mission have a meter; so long as you follow their rules, they won't go all out on you. You can get away with a few cheap shots and such before they stop fighting by their rules.

But for every battle you break the rules, increase a global meter that represents your notoriety for dishonor in the Clans, and as it increases, they let you get away with less and less until eventually they just say "gently caress you dishonorable rear end in a top hat, we just straight fight now."

So the choice becomes between playing by their rules to keep it easier for now, or trust your men, your IS equipment, and your salvaged clantech to win more straight fights.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

jng2058 posted:

I think they've cranked the chance of seeing Hatchetmen down. I suspect that it was artificially high right after the first DLC popped so we could all play with the new toy....because my first DLC run included a Hatchetman in the OPFOR trying to steal a Hatchetman!

3.5 skull assassinate mission. Beat the first lance, supporting lance and the primary target come up. I'm overheated and damaged a bit, I'll hide behind this hill to cool down! Let them come to me at point blank range, they'll regret that!

*two hatchmen pop over the rise*

Ruh roh.

edit: NOPE IT WAS THREE OH GOD OH GOD

edit 2:

The AI, uhh, doesn't seem to understand they have a hatchet. They never attempted a melee attack.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 21, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Sky Shadowing posted:

Unless the Clans are nerfed by Kiva and Co., the 'proper' way to do them would be to feature them as overpowered but stupid.

I don't know how you'd make an AI that's "correctly" stupid instead like that of just bad. It'd be neat if they can pull it off.

Deuce posted:

The AI, uhh, doesn't seem to understand they have a hatchet. They never attempted a melee attack.

That's weird because the AI loves to melee my mechs even when there is a huge weight disparity in my favor. Like having a Cicada run up to kick my Grasshopper lol.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 21, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Organ Fiend posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when I get home.

BTX3025 has also been updated on Nexus Mods, so download that first then get the BetterAI mod.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

sean10mm posted:

I don't know how you'd make an AI that's "correctly" stupid instead like that of just bad. It'd be neat if they can pull it off.

That's weird because the AI loves to melee my mechs even when there is a huge weight disparity in my favor. Like having a Cicada run up to kick my Grasshopper lol.

Yeah, I see that with the little guys all the time. Locust v. Banshee is pretty hilarious.

The hatchetmen favored their AC/10s. Which is good for me, because I would have been losing limbs if they'd gone all in.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

sean10mm posted:

If they got the cockpit it wouldn't be funny anymore

vvvv Okay so still funny, but in a different way

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 21, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chronojam posted:

If they got the cockpit it wouldn't be funny anymore

My Banshee had its head kicked off twice in a row

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sky Shadowing posted:

Have you capture a Clanner who as a bondsman is honor-bound to lay out how the Clan Rules Of Fighting work, how they only go one-on-one, etc. Then in every mission have a meter; so long as you follow their rules, they won't go all out on you. You can get away with a few cheap shots and such before they stop fighting by their rules.

But for every battle you break the rules, increase a global meter that represents your notoriety for dishonor in the Clans, and as it increases, they let you get away with less and less until eventually they just say "gently caress you dishonorable rear end in a top hat, we just straight fight now."

So the choice becomes between playing by their rules to keep it easier for now, or trust your men, your IS equipment, and your salvaged clantech to win more straight fights.

The boring part is that all of their gear and mechs are just straight upgrades to everything the Inner Sphere fields. This game being built around salvage so strongly, it wouldn't be long before you're just fielding an entire lance of clan mechs. (and without the empty-salvage checkbox, you get fully outfitted clan mechs)

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Just straight out went from all mediums to owning a Banshee by buying one outright in the store. I ended up using the 'rare equipment' I got from the seige breaker FP, an arm mod that adds a ton of damage to the banshee and turned into a punch bot. It has +damage arm, +stability damage arm, all the S Lasers I could put in it plus more medium lasers. It isn't as wonderful as I was hoping it would be but I'm having fun with it being a dumb toy one-shotting any medium that gets into its punch range.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Play as a clan fighting a rival clan for planets or whatever, so you have an honor meter that raises and lowers by how much tonnage you bring to a mission. The final mission is a 1v1 Locust fight; the ending is the Inner Sphere stepping on the winner with an Atlas.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
So I just came back to this after a long time away. There are expansions now!

If I'm playing campaign (story) mode, do the new toys show up, or is it just for career? I never finished campaign back in the day and I'd like to, but I would also like to see flashpoints and urban terrain and new mechs.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Prism posted:

So I just came back to this after a long time away. There are expansions now!

If I'm playing campaign (story) mode, do the new toys show up, or is it just for career? I never finished campaign back in the day and I'd like to, but I would also like to see flashpoints and urban terrain and new mechs.

In campaign mode, the flashpoints will appear after you complete the main story. Be sure to keep some not-assault mechs around, some of the flashpoints have drop tonnage limits!

A strange choice, in my opinion. I think they'd flesh out the campaign nicely.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

RBA Starblade posted:

Play as a clan fighting a rival clan for planets or whatever, so you have an honor meter that raises and lowers by how much tonnage you bring to a mission. The final mission is a 1v1 Locust fight; the ending is the Inner Sphere stepping on the winner with an Atlas.

Not Hunchback IICs?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Star Man posted:

Not Hunchback IICs?

Are those cheaper and or shittier than Locusts, if so, then yes use those :haw:

The important thing is the campaign goes from using a bunch of really cool powerful gear to worthless junktrash as you get more Honorable*

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

RBA Starblade posted:

The important thing is the campaign goes from using a bunch of really cool powerful gear to worthless junktrash as you get more Honorable*

Clanners that are old or weak get put into Hunchback IICs for one last hurrah and younger ones made a sport out of fighting each other in them in trials.

Or did I miss something that clanners use weaker hardware to prove their valor just in general?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

They would bid away strong poo poo for more honor. So if I say I can take that base with three heavy mechs you bid a heavy and two mediums then I counter bid a light, a medium, and a half star of elementals. At this point you think I’ve over played my hand and let me have it.

If I win I’ve got giant balls and get all the honor.

If I lose well gently caress I think we just cocked up this invasion a bit and wasted resources and better hope it was a straight fight and not a trial or something where we can’t reinvade.

The Draconis Combine ended up with a single world way deep in the rear end end of smoke jaguar territory to use as a general raiding and loving around station because of this poo poo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, it's a 50 ton Mech, but only has about as much ARMOR as a Locust, so.... Draw your own conclusions!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

Well, it's a 50 ton Mech, but only has about as much ARMOR as a Locust, so.... Draw your own conclusions!

The standard Hunchback has 10 tons of standard armor, the IIc has 6 lol.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Who had time for armor when you have 2 uac20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stravag posted:

Who had time for armor when you have 2 uac20s

And two tons of ammo, yielding two whole turns of ultra fire followed by one turn of single.